ADVERTISEMENT

Duke will not participate in Tournament if there is one

Seems like Kansas shut down all athletics as well. What a start to 2020, this is crazy!

So the off-season has officially begun for Duke! Gonna miss seeing big Vern, Tre, and our whole squad. Sucks it has to end without a tournament being played, but it is what it is. Can’t wait until next season as usual. Jalen Johnson is gonna be a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: dbav
I don't think it necessarily means they wouldn't play in an NCAA Tournament at a later date. They are suspending athletics right now. If they delay the tournament - which seems likely - then Duke athletics could be reinstated by then.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
This is surreal. My heart is breaking for the student athletes. I mean, what about the future? Does this mean we're really done? Postpone the tourney and maybe play it in May if things are okay?

This is surreal. My heart is breaking for the student athletes. I mean, what about the future? Does this mean we're really done? Postpone the tourney and maybe play it in May if things are okay?
I would say draft decisions and things like that would have already been made by some players, but I guess it’s a possibility

Feel the worst for Tre who came back to win a championship and now won't have a chance to win either the ACC or NCAA.

I can't see the NCAA tournament being played at all. This virus won't be gone until at least May or so, and by then the players are prepping for the Combine and are done with school.

I guess it isn't important that we all have March circled on our calendar as the best month of the year. That would be selfish of me. (sigh)

It's one of those things you just don't want to accept, but in reality you know in the back of your mind it's probably the right call....for now. I'm dealing with it right now for my own employees, too.

It's one of those things you just don't want to accept, but in reality you know in the back of your mind it's probably the right call....for now. I'm dealing with it right now for my own employees, too.

I work in IT. We had a major migration project scheduled for this weekend that just got cancelled because the client has a positive case at their office.

I agree with a lot of what has been said on both sides. It is very likely, in my opinion, that this is a lot of overkill. At the same time, better safe than sorry and I think many of the decisions made are correct in trying to prevent unnecessary illness.

I also believe there is a lot of CYA in this, particularly for the schools. The liability risk to the schools if something were to happen to a student is much different if they took reasonable steps to prevent it rather than doing nothing. I can almost guarantee that is what is on just about every legal department's mind at the moment.

I expect all will be "okay", and I expect we will look back at much of this as overkill, but I'm also hopeful that the overkill will protect many people. I'm supposed to leave the country on a trip in 6 weeks and intend to go as long as it is not cancelled by the company. I expect many fans would also take the chance of going to the arena, but those responsible for the events are making what they deem to be the right call, and I can respect that.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what has been said on both sides. It is very likely, in my opinion, that this is a lot of overkill. At the same time, better safe than sorry and I think many of the decisions made are correct in trying to prevent unnecessary illness.

I also believe there is a lot of CYA in this, particularly for the schools. The liability risk to the schools if something were to happen to a student is much different if they took reasonable steps to prevent it rather than doing nothing. I can almost guarantee that is what is on just about every legal department's mind at the moment.

I expect all will be "okay", and I expect we will look back at much of this as overkill, but I'm also hopeful that the overkill with protect many people. I'm supposed to leave the country on a trip in 6 weeks and intend to go as long as it is not cancelled by the company. I expect many fans would also take the chance of going to the arena, but those responsible for the events are making what they deem to be the right call, and I can respect that.

You said it much more succinctly than I did. Well done!

Reactions: dbav
Our entire country is shutting down for a virus. I compared the Flu stats vs Covid and just do not understand the panic.

We are a soft country. My uncles who fought in WW2 & my father in Vietnam are laughing from above.

Reactions: pisgah101
Hope they delay until April. CBS will take whatever they can get.

Our entire country is shutting down for a virus. I compared the Flu stats vs Covid and just do not understand the panic.

We are a soft country. My uncles who fought in WW2 & my father in Vietnam are laughing from above.

A lot of our ancestors didn't think people of color and other races should have equal rights, either.

I don't totally disagree with you that we might be overreacting, but we don't know that. Hence, being proactive. The goal is to save lives and protect people.

So the off-season has officially begun for Duke! Gonna miss seeing big Vern, Tre, and our whole squad. Sucks it has to end without a tournament being played, but it is what it is. Can’t wait until next season as usual. Jalen Johnson is gonna be a lot of fun to watch.
Well we at least won’t have to hear the horsemen b****ing and moaning on the game thread until next year.

Now even my favorite basketball team is in on the conspiracy. Darn.

Reactions: dukiejay

Comparing it to the flu isn't comparing apples to apples. More people die from the flu because more people get it. Fewer people contract CO, however, it has a very significantly higher mortality rate than the flu. Consider the health of your parents or grandparents. Canceling events isn't because they're concerned that everyone who goes is going to wind up dead; the concern is that they will pass it along to people with weakened immune systems who are vastly more susceptible to dying.

This is not unique to our country. China basically did the same thing. Now, Italy and the rest of Europe are all following suit as well. Guess the whole planet has gone soft.

So if the tournament is postponed until May, would duke and Kansas play? Or does this mean they are done no matter what

So if the tournament is postponed until May, would duke and Kansas play? Or does this mean they are done no matter what
I assume they would also reassess the situation at that time. Would be curious how eligibility for the NBA bound would work in that scenario.

Comparing it to the flu isn't comparing apples to apples. More people die from the flu because more people get it. Fewer people contract CO, however, it has a very significantly higher mortality rate than the flu. Consider the health of your parents or grandparents. Canceling events isn't because they're concerned that everyone who goes is going to wind up dead; the concern is that they will pass it along to people with weakened immune systems who are vastly more susceptible to dying.

Like our 73 year old head coach!

Reactions: Neners
Hope they delay until April. CBS
A lot of our ancestors didn't think people of color and other races should have equal rights, either.

I don't totally disagree with you that we might be overreacting, but we don't know that. Hence, being proactive. The goal is to save lives and protect people.

If we are protecting lives this shutdown will become a regular occurrence bc each winter the Flu wipes out 10-12k. Just look at the numbers on any health organization website.

Our country is soft.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT