ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Winston-Salem gameday thread.

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
Game on in one hour I believe!
Things I am looking for.
1. How Roach and Keels do against their backcourt.
2. Moore as our leader and looking as good as we have been hearing.
3. Baker hit some threes and play defense.
4. Mark, Banchero and Theo imposing their will down low. Theo could put up some decent numbers.
5. Will AJ get a few minutes? Maybe get him some burn before the Kentucky game.
6. Shooting and defense!
7. I want a few Bates Jones buckets. Ditto Blakes.
Go Duke!
Predict we win by 15.
Would love to see a 30 point beatdown but I'm not going to get greedy.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
I don’t know much about WS, but I’m sure they’ll be super pumped for this game. Nonetheless, I’ll be surprised if they can stay within 25, unless K takes his foot off the gas pedal.

Reactions: christophero
DBR reporting that AJ is warming up with the team. Early word we are up 8-0 and Moore and Keels look good. Theo and Mark with dunks.

Last edited:
Free throws from our bigs concern me and Winston Salem state is no match at all.
mark Williams has four blocks in the first half . Roach looks way more better then last season. 13-63 at half.

Looks like the starters won't be playing in the second half

I love John. He does everything well. He’s going to get more minutes than we first thought. And he looks healthy. AJ looks like he’s not quite as in sync as the others, which is to be expected. But he also looks healthy.

My 15 point victory post aged well. Glad to be wrong. Bates Jones with 2 threes. I've heard Theo looks great. No wonder Coleman bolted. We are shooting nearly 50 percent from 3. Up 50 at the half! Mark with 10 at the half.

Last edited:
Is this team really bad or are we that good? Regardless its been a few years since we've seen this level of dominance. Bates Jones has 11! Told you guys! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
Very impressive showing by the team. Incredible depth, looked like they had played together for a long time, something last year’s team never showed. Great to see AJ get meaningful burn, which should mean he’ll be on the floor against Kentucky. They are strong at every position. Banchero had a “quiet” 20 point game, if that’s possible. Very noticeable improvement in Moore, Roach and Baker from last year, and Williams picked up right where he left off.

Is this team really bad or are we that good? Regardless its been a few years since we've seen this level of dominance. Bates Jones has 11! Told you guys! :)
Dukes starters are just that good . Paolo, Williams, keels, Moore or Roach barely played the second half. Johns , Baker, Griffin( started getting his legs back the more he played) Jones and Blake’s still played solid .

I love that AJ got good minutes. Don't want Kentucky to be your first game. I am excited about the season. If anyone could post highlights I'd be very grateful.

Great way to start a season even though it was an outclassed opponant. Hard to find anything wrong with the way we played today. OFC

Last edited:
RR has a thread on the game and 95 percent of the posts are about how bad our opponent was. Guess we'll find out. I really want to beat/steamroll them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboSlice00
I don’t think we will steam roll UK the same way but Dukes front court is one of if not the best in the country . That’s a four headed monster I don’t think many can match if we grow off this game .

How did Baker look today? Theo John is my favorite player on this team. We seem to have struck gold with him and Keels being better than we thought. We knew the other 3 were good already.

How did Baker look today? Theo John is my favorite player on this team. We seem to have struck gold with him and Keels being better than we thought. We knew the other 3 were good already.
He had about 9 points I think. Hustled but had four fouls on him. OFC

Looked very confident in his shot. Made some nice passes and as skysdad said, hustled. Did not look lost on D, as was often the case last year.

I love that AJ got good minutes. Don't want Kentucky to be your first game. I am excited about the season. If anyone could post highlights I'd be very grateful.
Christophero, ESPN+ has the game and is available on demand. It actually has it listed twice, one as an ACCNX broadcast, the other simply as ESPN+. The first one you can’t watch unless your cable provider has ACCN, but the second one will play regardless whether you have ACCN. Not sure I understand why, but I’m not complaining.

Okay watching the game now I'll have my thoughts.
1. Roach penetrating and a lob for a Williams dunk. Nice.
2. Mark with a one handed rebound and roundhouse block. This is fun but the opponent looks pretty bad.
3. Keels with a steal and lay up. This looks like a college team playing a high school team. Our guys are scoring at will. Not sure how much we can take from this, but I'll take it.
4. Theo John with a nice jump hook. It's been a long time since we have had a back up center this good. He's already better than Bolden.
5. Joey Baker with a monster dunk, which again, tells me the opponent is not very good lol.

Last edited:
Okay watching the game now I'll have my thoughts.
1. Roach penetrating and a lob for a Williams dunk. Nice.
2. Mark with a one handed rebound and roundhouse block. This is fun but the opponent looks pretty bad.
3. Keels with a steal and lay up. This looks like a college team playing a high school team. Our guys are scoring at will. Not sure how much we can take from this, but I'll take it.
Beside the obvious…Ughhhh I like Trevor’s handle, quickness, and actually his size at the position. The smaller the better! He should average a bunch assists. The perfect compliment. I think PB will be RJ within 10 games😂

Bates Jones and Keels back to back 3's. Not to keep harping on this but this is a really bad team we are playing. Our second 5 would beat them easily. Great to see AJ back.
1. Bachero gets fouled, misses both free throws. An area he needs to improve. It won't matter today but will against Gonzaga.
2. 63 -13 at the half. Glass half full; we look great. Glass half empty: the other team.
3. Joey Baker skying for the rebound over their bigs. Let that one sink in. (I'm just having fun)
4. Their PG is probably the only guy who would make our rotation. Maybe. Blakes with a nice dunk.
5. Blakes with a 3. He looks good.
6. Theo is a really good passer in the low post. Nice pass for an AJ layup.

Last edited:
We will see as the competition gets better over the next couple of games exactly where Keels is at. This team today just had no chance it’s a confidence builder for Dukes young team for sure but UK is older and way more experienced. If Duke beats them by twenty then that’s saying something.
Not trying to be a Debbie downer just trying to let this team come along and grow .

No it's a legit point. I'm watching the game now. Not trying to be disrespectful but I can't remember a weaker team we have played.
1. Mark Williams looks a lot bigger than last year.
2. Banchero getting it done on dunks, but shot is off.
3. Joey shooting with confidence.
4. Winston Salem inbounds, throws it away with no pressure. They look like my high school team.
5. AJ with an and one. Nice. Then misses the FT badly. His shot looks awkward, but great to see him back. AJ with a nice spin and jump shot. Dude is talented.
6. Coach K has had at least one McDonalds AA in 37 straight classes. That is amazing.
7. Griffin feasting in garbage time. He makes our depth much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE and Mac9192
I was just looking at things that will translate moving forward. Little things. I couldn’t care less who we were playing. Obviously it was a mismatch. We are horizontal and vertically a mismatch for every team moving forward too!:)

Reactions: jeffrey236
I mean, these games are what they are. Just like the scrimmages, don't take too much from it. But we did what we were supposed to do...dominated.

And yes, I will take the bet on Keels leading us in ppg.

Reactions: IFaZe
I
I mean, these games are what they are. Just like the scrimmages, don't take too much from it. But we did what we were supposed to do...dominated.

And yes, I will take the bet on Keels leading us in ppg.
He just has that IT factor. I can already see it. Confidence, shooting ability, handling the ball with his size at that position finishing…I’m sold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT