ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Arkansas

Here is another issue, and I'm glad its November and not February/March, Arkansas is a 4/5 year heavy team. Plenty of experience and size that we didn't think would show up like it did.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Oh, come on, man, he’s been fighting uphill since Arizona.
He's played way more than "approximately eight possessions." I want the kid to succeed, but he's not there. Maybe it clicks as the year progresses, but we haven't seen it against tougher competition. There's a reason he gets pulled because of being a liability on defense.

Reactions: ioliva
He's played way more than "approximately eight possessions." I want the kid to succeed, but he's not there. Maybe it clicks as the year progresses, but we haven't seen it against tougher competition. There's a reason he gets pulled because of being a liability on defense.
Since Arizona? No he hasn’t. He has a very very short leash.

I've never told anyone what to do. That's bullshit.
Tell what to do? Where did I say that?. You were pro-jab. Many were and didn’t like ti listen to us who waited to see its true efficacy. What happened? The jabs were a massive financial and clinical failure, and waiting was the best option for many. All good.

Last edited:
Arkansas was big and long. Without Reeves, who is mostly out of the rotation, we are a relatively small team. I would assume Proctor will play better. The freshman might take some time. On paper they are 2-3 year guys. There is upside on this team; and we played a tough true road game.

Arkansas was big and long. Without Reeves, who is mostly out of the rotation, we are a relatively small team. I would assume Proctor will play better. The freshman might take some time. On paper they are 2-3 year guys. There is upside on this team; and we played a tough true road game.
I'm encouraged by TJ's play. If he can continue to improve on his defense he will continue to get burn. Proctor has been better overall in my opinion. His assist-to-turnover ratio has improved from last season. We need more consistent scoring from him, and the others in our backcourt not named Roach. I was shocked to not see Blakes a ton last night. Defensively, he brings so much. And I have liked his aggressiveness in looking for his shot this year.

Wow, Reeves looked lost out there in the minute he played. I was disappointed. I'm hoping Stewart will give us more minutes inside but it might take a while for him to be ready.

Our inefficiency at the rim, and being blocked so often, was shocking. We haven't yet mastered the "attract the defense and throw out to the 3 pt. line" technique yet.

No point in arguing with you. You have all the "facts".
You still haven’t answered my questions about this team though. If you don’t want to, fine, but don’t say I didn’t state a clear, legit concern for this team. If I’m wrong, tell me. Let me know what I’m missing (serious comment). Hell I wish I was wrong on this one today OR get proved wrong if Jon can get this team right.

Wow, Reeves looked lost out there in the minute he played. I was disappointed. I'm hoping Stewart will give us more minutes inside but it might take a while for him to be ready.

Our inefficiency at the rim, and being blocked so often, was shocking. We haven't yet mastered the "attract the defense and throw out to the 3 pt. line" technique yet.
He had to leave his man twice to cover a teammate who was beaten. That left him scrambling to rotate to get back to his guy. Kinda hard to blame any kid for that.

Reactions: sheyduke

You have to allow players to make mistakes. Reeves needs a simple role. Stick to it!

Reactions: Fourteen44
I hope Reeves bolts after this season . The kid came in as a border line four star, was set to red shirt, didn’t and barely got minutes then had off season surgery another set back going into preseason and then injured his leg/ankle again . The kid has barely been given a chance outside of practice and yet he looks lost ? You threw the kid in basically because it was him or Stanley left because of foul trouble against upper class bigs . No one said the kid wasn’t a project but then again no one also thought about the set backs due to injury.
The kid has to play more then mop up minutes to see what he can do in a game .

Year 2 for Jon is more of a challenge than year 1. It's like we have no identity. Proctor has to be more aggressive. Of the guards, Roach is the only one scoring like needed. Flip is good, but he's not getting any help, and he's sometimes makes boneheaded plays. See the 1st half of last night.

Power and Stewart might be able to help, but they're going to have to be on the floor a little more.
Right now, there's more areas for concern than to be hopeful. We won't be able to say it's still early much longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke Blu
Coach Scheyer needs to turn the switch on, the players have been sleep walking thru these earlier games. It’s like they expect to win because of the early season hype. Really as of right now this team was better last season and a lot of it had to due with Lively. Proctor and Mitchell have to step up their game. They haven’t improved at all from last season. The freshman are freshman and all have their race. Some take more time to adjust. Hopefully they start producing more but Duke needs Proctor and Mitchell to start living up to their expectations. Still plenty of time but the conference season starts this weekend.

Reactions: DBM0828 and Mac9192
I hope Reeves bolts after this season . The kid came in as a border line four star, was set to red shirt, didn’t and barely got minutes then had off season surgery another set back going into preseason and then injured his leg/ankle again . The kid has barely been given a chance outside of practice and yet he looks lost ? You threw the kid in basically because it was him or Stanley left because of foul trouble against upper class bigs . No one said the kid wasn’t a project but then again no one also thought about the set backs due to injury.
Tell us how you really feel Shey...

I have faith in Reeves and the coaching staff. Again, it's November. Flexibility must be prioritized.

One of the things I've always appreciated about Izzo is his ability to play a tough schedule (early) and not concern himself with the wins and losses. By late Jan/early Feb, you don't want to see his team. Plus, he does not give the 5/4 star players the entitlement.

I only got to peak at highlights and the box score. In recent years we won nearly all of these types of games. I would rather us take a couple losses and learn and grow in Nov/Dec and come on strong in Feb/Mar. The stat lines for any guard not named Roach were pretty lousy. Coming into this season, I was pretty certain we would have the backcourt advantage in most games. So far we haven't seen much of that. I have confidence McCain and Foster will come on strong and Proctor will settle in and do Proctor like things. It's a long season.

Refute what? You're never wrong. What's the point?
So you can’t. I thought you’d have a clear rebuttal because apparently, to you, Duke is a final four team. I see them as a second round team.

And yes, I’m wrong more than I’m right. That’s life. It’s an extended learning process.

I don’t make this claim often, but I’m confident he will be gone if things stay this way. Now it’s not all coach’s fault, but even if Reeves is truly that far behind, I suspect he will go somewhere he can actually learn on the fly. I mean I get why Ryan has earned his stripes but man he struggled last night. He did nothing. Why not have a 7’1 learn on the fly instead of a 5th year guy who was nearly invisible?

Reactions: sheyduke
So you can’t. I thought you’d have a clear rebuttal because apparently, to you, Duke is a final four team. I see them as a second round team.

And yes, I’m wrong more than I’m right. That’s life. It’s an extended learning process.
It doesn't matter what I respond with; you'll just come back with some jackassery. It's pretty much a waste of time to keep this up. You go your way, and I'll go mine. Life is too short for your tomfoolery.

I dont see anything different so far in this team than the last 4 or 5 teams we have had. Lots of skilled players, no real defined offensive strategy, and a good but not great effort on the defensive end.
With all due respect, you see no difference between this team and the 2021/22 team that went to the Final Four?

We just have a weirdly constructed roster. Yes we have talent, and yes we have more experience than usual. But it’s almost like we just took a bunch of good players without thinking it through.

Take Power for example: we need his shooting. But he can’t play a lick of defense or rebound, so without a rim protector, we must play zone or he can’t be on the floor.
FLIP ISNT A 5.
It’s hard to play Young and Mitchell together because of 2 non shooting threats.

An athletic rim protector is what we need, it would solve a lot of problems, and allow Power to play more. I wish trades were a thing in college. McCain & Schutt for Daron Holmes??? Who says no? Seems like a great trade. Duke loads up for this year and Dayton gets assets for the future.

Last edited:
the last Final Four Team we had was mediocre in January. The last national champion team we had couldn't play a lick of defense until February. Let's give this team a chance to jell and the freshmen to get their sea legs.

That was a really tough venue last night, and our team didn't give up.

We look very young so far other than Flip and Roach. Which we are. Long season. The ACC is looking better than last year so we need all hands on deck.
This, we’re in the constant circle of being young every year. Flip and TP will be in the draft next year which means freshman and sophomore’s again with Flagg. The staff is working on getting multi year guys like evans, kon etc but it’s gonna take time to get a veteran team. With nil less guys are rushing to the draft which means seeing juniors and seniors every night who are constantly more physical than us. I do like the early tough games like last night, zona, msu, Baylor. We’ll get more from them than beating South Carolina st

We just have a weirdly constructed roster. Yes we have talent, and yes we have more experience than usual. But it’s almost like we just took a bunch of good players without thinking it through.

Take Power for example: we need his shooting. But he can’t play a lick of defense or rebound, so without a rim protector, we must play zone or he can’t be on the floor.
FLIP ISNT A 5.
It’s hard to play Young and Mitchell together because of 2 non shooting threats.

An athletic rim protector is what we need, it would solve a lot of problems, and allow Power to play more. I wish trades were a thing in college. McCain & Schutt for Daron Holmes??? Who says no? Seems like a great trade. Duke loads up for this year and Dayton gets assets for the future.
Jon has to take responsibility for that

You had a team that won the ACC Conference last year in

Lively
Flip
Mitchell
Roach
Proctor

Whitehead
Grandison
Young

That was pretty much your 8 man rotation.

Essentially, your ONE job was to replace Lively. Lol I think Justin Robinson would have been an adequate replacement. Boy did he miss out on the right window of opportunity.

It doesn't matter what I respond with; you'll just come back with some jackassery. It's pretty much a waste of time to keep this up. You go your way, and I'll go mine. Life is too short for your tomfoolery.
Then dont complain when people call out the weaknesses of this team. I get being optimistic, but don’t bitch when others call legit shortcomings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT