Lively
Flip
Mitchell
Roach
Proctor

Whitehead
Grandison
Young

That was pretty much your 8 man rotation.

Essentially, your ONE job was to replace Lively. Lol I think Justin Robinson would have been an adequate replacement. Boy did he miss out on the right window of opportunity.
Getting Holmes would’ve been awesome too if he actually left. He’s a beast.

I know Whitehead was a bit underwhelming last year, but he was a pretty solid guy off the bench and a good defender and gave us more than his replacements have so far this year.

I know Whitehead was a bit underwhelming last year, but he was a pretty solid guy off the bench and a good defender and gave us more than his replacements have so far this year.
And he was long too so that was a help defensively. The challenge with McCain is that he’s small, not overly fast, and can’t get to the rack easily. Roach is really the only one who can, but Proctor is money with the jumper in the paint.

We've played one very good team and 2 good teams. We've lost 2 of them. Not the end of the world, but we need to improve. Reminds of early last season. Saturday is a pretty important game now vs. GT. It's a road game. The flip side is that 9 of the next 10 games should be wins. Assuming we beat Syracuse, GT and Pitt.

Last edited:
I liked the offense Miami ran two years ago: they had their big man at the top of the circle and he could shoot the three if you played off him. If they covered him it opened up the middle to drive to the basket. I think Duke should run something like this with Flip up top.

Jon has to take responsibility for that

You had a team that won the ACC Conference last year in

Lively
Flip
Mitchell
Roach
Proctor

Whitehead
Grandison
Young

That was pretty much your 8 man rotation.

Essentially, your ONE job was to replace Lively. Lol I think Justin Robinson would have been an adequate replacement. Boy did he miss out on the right window of opportunity.
Replacing Lively isn't the issue. It's the willingness to play your players.

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke's guards Proctor, McCain and Foster only managed a combined 14 pts - we've got to get that fixed. Back up Center and Forward play was non-existent. We need a few more Mitchell type players. Team still doesn't look comfortable unless they're playing in Cameron.

Reactions: christophero
It was nice that we battled back but I never really felt as if we were going to win. Once Flip got his second foul early on it seemed we were doomed. I do think Flip and Roach have done all they can. Mitchell and Proctor need to emerge as leaders. I don't think this year's freshman have the kind of ceiling we are used to; there are more Jefferson type players who will become good/great in year 2 or 3. We need the vets to step up until then.

There's a ton of potential, and Jon will have to keep tinkering with lineups. We're a work in progress with a FF ceiling if we figure it out. And I think we can.

I liked the offense Miami ran two years ago: they had their big man at the top of the circle and he could shoot the three if you played off him. If they covered him it opened up the middle to drive to the basket. I think Duke should run something like this with Flip up top.
I agree and Mitchell needs to get his points inside and rebound

I think we are forgetting that other than Roach, our guards are under 20. They are going up against 24 year olds. As talented as they are, they have about a month to mature, its not a very fast process. The first time, I as a high schooler played against college guards, the difference in speed was undeniable. If our young guards do not have it figured out by mid January, then maybe we are concerned, but they do need time to adjust to the constant speed of the game. The Baylor matchup will tell us everything we need to know about this team. Mitchell needs to get out of his head and hit 35% of his open threes, and Flip needs to play like a hoss downlow! That's it, easy peasy!

Reactions: jamsession2
I think we are forgetting that other than Roach, our guards are under 20. They are going up against 24 year olds. As talented as they are, they have about a month to mature, its not a very fast process. The first time, I as a high schooler played against college guards, the difference in speed was undeniable. If our young guards do not have it figured out by mid January, then maybe we are concerned, but they do need time to adjust to the constant speed of the game. The Baylor matchup will tell us everything we need to know about this team. Mitchell needs to get out of his head and hit 35% of his open threes, and Flip needs to play like a hoss downlow! That's it, easy peasy!
I don’t think it’s a psych issue with Mitchell. He shoots it so flat that it’s a miracle of aerodynamics when one actually goes in.

This need to be acknowledged as well. Some of us need to look at the age of our opponents. We are still in the COVID seasons. Also, don't forget about the 5th/6th seniors. Maturity plays a huge role in how you play the game. I never once mentioned the words Talent or Rankings.

This need to be acknowledged as well. Some of us need to look at the age of our opponents. We are still in the COVID seasons. Also, don't forget about the 5th/6th seniors. Maturity plays a huge role in how you play the game. I never once mentioned the words Talent or Rankings.
You are 100% correct. Having said that, we are getting dangerously close to Coach Cal territory on this board. Recruiting one and dones and then when we lose saying what Cal did: “what did you expect? They’re freshmen”.
As has been repeated on this mb for a couple weeks, unless Reeves drastically improves we’re one big away from being a contender.
I was hoping with Nil players like Lively and Whitehead might stay two years. I know this is fb but Riley will likely get more nil $ than Brock Purdy is $ this yr

You are 100% correct. Having said that, we are getting dangerously close to Coach Cal territory on this board. Recruiting one and dones and then when we lose saying what Cal did: “what did you expect? They’re freshmen”.
As has been repeated on this mb for a couple weeks, unless Reeves drastically improves we’re one big away from being a contender.
I was hoping with Nil players like Lively and Whitehead might stay two years. I know this is fb but Riley will likely get more nil $ than Brock Purdy is $ this yr
You can play a mixture of Stewart, Young, Reeves and TJ...with Flip and be a title contender. You also have to allow Reeves to make mistakes.

Dade you make a good point! The players (majority)on Duke are so young, and going up primarily vs veterans of the college game (thanks to extra covid year and obviously the portal).I heard Jon post game other nite, and he mentioned "they're old," in response to Razorbacks experience.

As you all know gang, that's an "old" K quote about other teams our younger Duke teams play. We have to cease the alibi as dis-
advantage and/or shop the portal more.

6'-11" transfer Kadin Shedrick would have been the perfect portal experienced big opposite Flip. The UVA transfer is from NC and is playing for Texas. However Shedrick badly wanted to transfer to Duke. I understand he visited, but for whatever reason, it didn't work out. He's averaging 15 pts and 5 rebs per game for Longhorns, with a game high of 27 pts. I think we're probably unbeaten now with such a player.

We're already loaded with 5 star youth next year (no doubt Flagg is real deal), but think if Jon begins falling short of deep runs in tourney, he may have to rethink the K youth philosophy and one year "brotherhood." OFC

Hunter or Shedrick at the 5 makes us the clear cut #1 imo. (Shedrick would have been a better fit) There was an open spot at the 5. No one was scared off by Young, Reeves or Stewart. Maybe we need to step up our NIL game. We are good don't get me wrong, but we seem very vulnerable to a certain type of team. We will improve, but so will teams like Ark. who are integrating new pieces as well.

Last edited:
Dade you make a good point! The players (majority)on Duke are so young, and going up primarily vs veterans of the college game (thanks to extra covid year and obviously the portal).I heard Jon post game other nite, and he mentioned "they're old," in response to Razorbacks experience.

As you all know gang, that's an "old" K quote about other teams our younger Duke teams play. We have to cease the alibi as dis-

6'-11" transfer Kadin Shedrick would have been the perfect portal experienced big opposite Flip. The UVA transfer is from NC and is playing for Texas. However Shedrick badly wanted to transfer to Duke. I understand he visited, but for whatever reason, it didn't work out. He's averaging 15 pts and 5 rebs per game for Longhorns, with a game high of 27 pts. I think we're probably unbeaten now with such a player.

We're already loaded with 5 star youth next year (no doubt Flagg is real deal), but think if Jon begins falling short of deep runs in tourney, he may have to rethink the K youth philosophy and one year "brotherhood." OFC
I hear you hart. But if you shift your focus from our current model to development, what if you go after three stars who stay three or four years and they don’t get any better? Re Arkansas clearly Brazile will go first or sec iround but what about their guards? Where did they come from? The local YMCA? cus I’m guessing they weren’t on Dukes radar.

I hear you hart. But if you shift your focus from our current model to development, what if you go after three stars who stay three or four years and they don’t get any better? Re Arkansas clearly Brazile will go first or sec iround but what about their guards? Where did they come from? The local YMCA? cus I’m guessing they weren’t on Dukes radar.
I understand KD. I know what you mean. It all depends on adaptability to the college game, learning curve, adjusting to the speed of the college game, recruiting philosophy, etc.

Like I referenced we will see how Duke/Scheyer fare in the coming years. He's a sharp and competitive guy. I think he will adjust his high school five star/transfer portal thought process if necessary. I think Duke has a difficult time transferring credits in numerous cases of players via the portal. This may be a factor.

OFC

Reactions: KDSTONE
In in regard to the youth of our guards....it's certainly true but that's not going to change with Duke if we like it or not. We continue to bring in elite kids, but it looks like we will always have 18-19 year Olds running the team.

It's where we are so we have to embrace it and try to mix in a few veteran, tough, gritty type of players. If we could have two Theo type of men each year, it would be perfect.

At the end of the day, you never say no to five stars.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30

I don't know if Shedrick wanted a lesser role. Keep in mind Dylan is hurt. The UTEP transfer is also competing for time. Theo was a blessing, but a curse. He accepted his role, and had the maturity to guide Mark. I can't see Shedrick guiding Stewart and TJ. And he possibly would've run Reeves away.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Hunter or Shedrick at the 5 makes us the clear cut #1 imo. (Shedrick would have been a better fit) There was an open spot at the 5. No one was scared off by Young, Reeves or Stewart. Maybe we need to step up our NIL game. We are good don't get me wrong, but we seem very vulnerable to a certain type of team. We will improve, but so will teams like Ark. who are integrating new pieces as well.
I want us to understand Arkansas and many other teams have Theo John transfers and seniors. Either we develop those players or not be critical of the past of some of those guys. It's a reason they have attended two to three schools.

Last edited:
It was not my intention to insult our guys, just that playing time was available at the 5.
Where is my question ? Duke has Young and Reeves . Then Stewart, Mitchell and Flip ( who would receive most of the minutes at the four with a true center ).
NIL only goes so far . I think MCCain, pretty sure Flip , Roach , Mitchell and Proctor take up the bulk of NIL .
Some players simply can’t get into Duke . I mean if Caleb Love couldn’t get into Michigan that says it all .

Off topic but Washington up on Oregon 10-3 in the Pac 12 football championship. **** the Ducks. (I live in Washington)
Huskies up 20-3. I need to start a football thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourteen44
It was not my intention to insult our guys, just that playing time was available at the 5.
My point exactly Chris-OFC
I don't know if Shedrick wanted a lesser role. Keep in mind Dylan is hurt. The UTEP transfer is also competing for time. Theo was a blessing, but a curse. He accepted his role, and had the maturity to guide Mark. I can't see Shedrick guiding Stewart and TJ. And he possibly would've run Reeves away.
Plausible argument jam, but a worse case scenario. Much respect however for your viewpoint. Enjoy reading your posts.

OFC

In in regard to the youth of our guards....it's certainly true but that's not going to change with Duke if we like it or not. We continue to bring in elite kids, but it looks like we will always have 18-19 year Olds running the team.

It's where we are so we have to embrace it and try to mix in a few veteran, tough, gritty type of players. If we could have two Theo type of men each year, it would be perfect.

At the end of the day, you never say no to five stars.
Problem is , they’re not playing like five stars. You’d think a five star in their second year would be a standout. Haven’t seen that this year.

Problem is , they’re not playing like five stars. You’d think a five star in their second year would be a standout. Haven’t seen that this year.
Obviously, but things don't appear as though they will change with the youth of our backcourt. Jon looks like he will continue to recruit at a high level, and we will not be a big player in the transfer portal. .

Reactions: Fourteen44
That’s a good point - I bet if Shedrick was at Duke, he’d be 3rd in line for the 5, behind Flip and Young.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
That’s a good point - I bet if Shedrick was at Duke, he’d be 3rd in line for the 5, behind Flip and Young.
This. Shedrick for sure looks like he would have been a nice addition to the team and would allow Flip to play at his natural position, even if it were just chunk minutes. However, I'm not sure Jon would take those minutes from Young.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT