ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Arkansas

The coach of Arkansas said they had no plans of guarding Mitchell....yikes. Jon has to figure something out there. Take this lump, move on and beat GT. Now that's a game they simply cannot lose.

Reactions: sheyduke
Your retort to anyone who challenges you is to call them soft or a stalker. Pot meet kettle.
In his own little world, 14 is never wrong. Ever. When he senses that he is, he resorts to defense mechanisms such as LOL, emojis, claims of sarcasm, confrontation, etc.

We could try an intervention or start a GoFundMe to get him the psychological help he so desperately needs? LOL. 🤣

To @Fourteen44 defense, he did say all summer Flip was not a five and he can't be our primary big to bang the boards. He was right on the money.

I do think Jon thought McCain would be able to hit open shots to spread the floor which could make the three guard lineup work. Just hasn't happened.

Need to insert Stewart or Foster. Move Mitchell to Wf .

McCain hasn’t shown me anything I’d brag about . Not saying he won’t but he missed two passes to a wide open powers for contested shots .

A lot can be fixed but the weakness of this team is visible and this won’t be the only team to leave Mitchell open and double down on Flip. Especially with Duke not hitting outside shots .

Teams gonna have to make adjustments to the starting lineup. In no way should Power see any DNP, in fact him and Sean need more pt. College now is dominated by upper classman which we don’t have but I do see the recruiting shift focusing to more multi years guys.

To @Fourteen44 defense, he did say all summer Flip was not a five and he can't be our primary big to bang the boards. He was right on the money.

I do think Jon thought McCain would be able to hit open shots to spread the floor which could make the three guard lineup work. Just hasn't happened.
It's how he goes about it all that annoys me. A holier-than-thou approach where he tries to be cute and snarky. It gets old fast.

In his own little world, 14 is never wrong. Ever. When he senses that he is, he resorts to defense mechanisms such as LOL, emojis, claims of sarcasm, confrontation, etc.

We could try an intervention or start a GoFundMe to get him the psychological help he so desperately needs? LOL. 🤣
He can make good points and be tolerable for a period of time. But it never lasts.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
What I don't understand is that Ryan Young said in his podcast that Mark Mitchell practices his 3 pt. shot all the time. Why haven't one of the approximately 16 coaches on Duke's bench pulled him aside and explained the physics of putting a little arc on the ball? I mean Mark's been at Duke for 2 years and there's no change in his shot, in fact it looks flatter now than ever. Someone is failing to get through to him.

Speaking of Ryan, the guy has a 15 foot shot, we see it at the foul line. Doesn't he understand how much it hurts the team for him not to take that shot? Does he have the yips? I mean he can't play if he can't take that shot.

OK end of rant. OFC

I still don't quite get the negative attention McCain is drawing from this board. Yeah, another off night shooting, 1-7, but he did grab 10 rebounds. But he isn't the only one that needs to do better. Foster was 0-5, with 2 points and 0 rebounds. He's had one good half of shooting. Proctor? A whopping 7 points on 3-12 shooting, with 4 assists. Then there's poor Mitchell. A hot 2-8, with only 3 rebounds. McCain, all 6-3, got more rebounds than these 3 combined.

Flip is good, but he's not a superstar.

What I don't understand is that Ryan Young said in his podcast that Mark Mitchell practices his 3 pt. shot all the time. Why haven't one of the approximately 16 coaches on Duke's bench pulled him aside and explained the physics of putting a little arc on the ball? I mean Mark's been at Duke for 2 years and there's no change in his shot, in fact it looks flatter now than ever. Someone is failing to get through to him.

Speaking of Ryan, the guy has a 15 foot shot, we see it at the foul line. Doesn't he understand how much it hurts the team for him not to take that shot? Does he have the yips? I mean he can't play if he can't take that shot.

OK end of rant. OFC
IMO , it’s more of understanding if Young knows he can take the shot .

Offense wasn’t the only issue last night as the defense continues to be up and down . I really see the bench being very short come ACC play .
I agree, the limited minutes for Powers and Stewart needs to increase . You can’t have your best athlete and what appears to be a good shooter riding the pine .

Reactions: Duke Blu
Based on 2 3’s though? He was so slow on D, especially closing out/rotating over to the corner and wing in the zone hybrid look….
No I think he’s shown improvement and he offers something no one else seems to with his shot.. and more size vs the tiny guards.. something’s got to give because this clearly isnt working

Reactions: Fourteen44
I still don't quite get the negative attention McCain is drawing from this board. Yeah, another off night shooting, 1-7, but he did grab 10 rebounds. But he isn't the only one that needs to do better. Foster was 0-5, with 2 points and 0 rebounds. He's had one good half of shooting. Proctor? A whopping 7 points on 3-12 shooting, with 4 assists. Then there's poor Mitchell. A hot 2-8, with only 3 rebounds. McCain, all 6-3, got more rebounds than these 3 combined.

Flip is good, but he's not a superstar.
Because McCain was hyped all summer as the secondary ball handler and scorer Duke needed. He plays well against sub par teams and I get the rebounding mentioned but teams are gonna focus on Dukes primary scorers so I don’t think they will mind him getting ten rebounds as long as he’s not hitting ten 3’s.

Because McCain was hyped all summer as the secondary ball handler and scorer Duke needed. He plays well against sub par teams and I get the rebounding mentioned but teams are gonna focus on Dukes primary scorers so I don’t think they will mind him getting ten rebounds as long as he’s not hitting ten 3’s.
People on this board may have hyped him. If people believe what posters say about incoming players before watching them play, then that's on them. I agree he needs to knock down more shots. But, my point remains. What about Proctor and Foster? Other than the 2nd half of the Michigan St game, what has Foster done? And Proctor has to be a little better too.

Right now, Roach and Flip are our only guys making things happen, but even Flip has his spells where he is bad.

That has to change.

Saying Flip is good and not a star is a bad take. He's been an alpha since he's stepped on campus his freshman year.
He has too many what the? moments. Like the 1st half last night, which was like the 2 previous games. Not calling him a superstar isn't a slap at him.

Last edited:
I dont see anything different so far in this team than the last 4 or 5 teams we have had. Lots of skilled players, no real defined offensive strategy, and a good but not great effort on the defensive end. Our incoming highly touted players who could score in HS are suddenly finding that college is a whole different ball game and are in the struggles of that adjustment. If they do improve then we will be fine, if they dont it will be a mirror image of last season. Some good wins to raise hope, some bad losses that show our inconsistency. Leadership has always been one of the attributes great teams have, and i just havent seen that for a while on Duke teams...no Battiers, no Laettners, no Cooks, no Jwills...these are the players who drive teams...and that hole has been present for a while. Scheyer needs to develop an identity of who we are...because so far its still just a collection and rotation of good players who struggle when they meet well organized, motivated older teams. Its early but the signs all remain the same...

Reactions: jamsession2
People on this board may have hyped him. If people believe what posters say about incoming players before watching them play, then that's on them. I agree he needs to knock down more shots. But, my point remains. What about Proctor and Foster? Other than the 2nd half of the Michigan St game, what has Foster done? And Proctor has to be a little better too.

Right now, Roach and Flip are our only guys making things happen, but even Flip has his spells where he is bad.

That has to change.
Proctor showed up last night and the only starter with any fight when we went down 12 to southern Indiana .
What has McCain done besides one Double double . Point in case . McCain is a starter and it wasn’t just posters hyping McCain either. Foster comes off the bench and Proctor is doing what is asked of him. The issue is the small three guard line up with Proctor being the tallest of the three at 6’5”.

It’s time to insert Powers or Stewart and help Flip in the frontcourt and Reeves needs playing time . Riding the bench isn’t going to help him learn anything .

He has too many what the? moments. Like the 1st half last night, which was like the 2 previous games. Not calling him a superstar isn't a slap at him.
We will just have to agree to disagree, which is fine. The kid won national freshman of the year last year and is putting up 20 and 8 a game this year. Mind you, playing a position he won't be playing at the next level.

He's an absolute star.

We will just have to agree to disagree, which is fine. The kid won national freshman of the year last year and is putting up 20 and 8 a game this year. Mind you, playing a position he won't be playing at the next level.

He's an absolute star.
Yes he is good. But sometimes tries to do too much, leading to awful turnovers, or like last night, 2 quick fouls in the first 5 minutes. Maybe it's because he's our only solid big. Whatever the case, others need to step up.

Hey man; we're all upset. We're good but not great at the moment. Plenty of time left. It's not the end of the world but if we don't beat Baylor we are running out of chances for big resume building wins. Tonight was a step back but we need to get to work to improve. we need Stewart or Reeves to contribute. Is anyone confident we will beat Baylor right now? Nice that we showed fight at the end.
Honestly, I’m not even confident we’ll beat Georgia Tech.

Oh Gaap, the guy who tries a dry humor here but fails miserably. Just don’t go getting riled up over Lia Thomas 😊

What I saw yesterday was more about trust. The coaching staff must trust TJ, Reeves, Stewart and Young to play with Flip. Mark is at his best playing the sf/wf, not pf. McCain should not have more rebounds then the frontline outside of Flip.

My prayer is change the three guard lineup.

I dont see anything different so far in this team than the last 4 or 5 teams we have had. Lots of skilled players, no real defined offensive strategy, and a good but not great effort on the defensive end. Our incoming highly touted players who could score in HS are suddenly finding that college is a whole different ball game and are in the struggles of that adjustment. If they do improve then we will be fine, if they dont it will be a mirror image of last season. Some good wins to raise hope, some bad losses that show our inconsistency. Leadership has always been one of the attributes great teams have, and i just havent seen that for a while on Duke teams...no Battiers, no Laettners, no Cooks, no Jwills...these are the players who drive teams...and that hole has been present for a while. Scheyer needs to develop an identity of who we are...because so far its still just a collection and rotation of good players who struggle when they meet well organized, motivated older teams. Its early but the signs all remain the same...
The talent is there. This is about rotations.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Flip can not carry this team...even if he averages 30ppg. It's the intangibles that are needed he can't do. Last year, playing with Young and Lively allowed him to be Flip. Trust Reeves, Stewart, TJ and Young to do the job.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Some just want to try to “talk crap” with me but then hide when I bring forth facts.

I’ll post this again for people like @bleediteveryday30 and @GAAP. Do tell, where am I off below? Seriously? Maybe it can be fixed, but that’s a tall order starting league play.

Seriously, I know many here flip out way too early but it’s 1/5th of the way through and this team has regressed from last year even after returning 4 starters. They have a significant weakness in the front court, and a moderate weakness in the backcourt. The front court issue only has one potential body that can better mask it, but Jon is clear he’ll keep Reeves on a short leash. Mitchell? He’s exposed now without 2 bigs to play off of. Flip? He’s not a power 5, and opponents will keep attacking that. The front court? Average long range shooters who can’t break an opposing D down (except maybe Roach). Those are some significant personnel gaps to fix in the last 4/5’s of the season.

Reactions: sheyduke
The talent is there. This is about rotations.
It's a long season, so we've got time to figure it out. I'd rather lose now trying out different lineups than later. I wish Reeves were ready because he has the body and things you can't teach. He just finds himself out of position all too often.

Reactions: jamsession2
It's a long season, so we've got time to figure it out. I'd rather lose now trying out different lineups than later. I wish Reeves were ready because he has the body and things you can't teach. He just finds himself out of position all too often.
All too often In approximately 8 possessions all year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT