ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS TEXAS TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

RJ is shooting 53% from 2pt land. I'd love to know how that divides between transition and half court play; I suspect his transition game is tremendously helping his overall shooting percentage. He isn't effecient from the three (numbers easily verify that) and, only judging by the eye test, isn't very efficient when driving in a half court set up.

Who would I prefer shooting more than him? Zion is at 72% compared to RJ's 53%. But I suspect the same is true for Zion in that his finishes in transition tremendously help his drives in the half court offense. Even in the half court, many of his points probably come from lobs and last night he couldn't drive without charging.

All that to say I mostly agree with you. I'm hard on RJ - only because I know he has it in him and I only expect him to improve - but it seems that we have an efficiency problem as a team in the half court offense. Right now, we have no one who reliably shoots the three. It doesn't seem to me that anyone is very reliable or consistent in creating their own shot either. But our ball movement IS good as is our players movement without the ball which I think allows us to get a lot of lobs and/or inside 2's.
------------------------------------

Right now Cam brings next to nothing on offense; I hope he breaks out of this funk soon. Having said that, he is playing extremely well on defense. I give him major credit for not getting down and out about his offensive struggles and allowing it to affect his game on defense. He came up big for us last night.

Tre is a warrior. RJ and Zion receive all the hype, but Tre deserves more recognition.

In that same vein, Jack White is all heart. His fundamentals are amazing and his motor is ridiculous.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Right now, we don't have a single, consistent outside shooter. That's troublesome. Both Grayson and Gary struggled last season, but we all knew they were capable shooters. This team just doesn't have one of those guys. AOC can shoot it, but I don't see him getting the major minutes, and right now he shouldn't. The only one with the potential to be that guy, consistently, is Cam. If he can break out, then that almost makes R.J. unguardable. Tech just sat back and sagged all night. We better get used to it, because this is how teams will play against us all season. If we shoot the ball well, it's really, really hard to beat us. Really hard.

Thankfully, we play defense. Without that, this would be another six or seven loss team in conference play.

Reactions: Mpm277
My son and I had a great time at the game. Yeah it was pretty damn ugly. 43 combined turnovers?!?!?! Really?!?!?! 3-20 from 3??? Really??? But a gutty win against a tough opponent.

The standouts for me last night were;

OMG Zion can literally jump out of the gym! There was a lob pass that he swooped in and grabbed that was 2 feet above the rim. On TV its impressive, in person it is un-freakin'-believable.

Team D looked really good last night. There were a few breakdowns and slow rotations, but overall TT ball handlers looked nervous all night. Credit Trey for his on ball D, it was stellar. And he had us on his back for a couple stretches late in the first half and early in the second half.

Jack White is THE MAN! He needs more playing time. Yeah, those two 3's were big, but his D and communication were excellent. There were multiple possessions when he absolutely shut his man down. He had some man sized rebounds too! Any chance he slides into the Javin/Bolden starting spot?

Cam.....shoot, shoot, shoot. It will come around. I said to my son it reminds me a little of the Brandon Ingram year. Yes it was a very different team, but I clearly recall the first 12 or so games cringing every time Ingram jacked up a three. "Why is he shooting????" By the end of the year it was "Take the shot!!! Take the shot!"

Shout out to the TT fans. They were well represented last night, and they were loud. We sat next to a nice couple from Lubbock, TX. We talked basketball and shared some laughs. They even engaged my son and asked him about ball and school, etc, and offered to buy me a beer! Good peeps!

Texas Tech is hovering around 300th in terms of fastest tempo. I don't expect a super high-scoring affair. Also, keep in mind that they have the #1 rated defense in the country.

Duke 70
Texas Tech 61

69-58... 4 points off. I blame Culver for missing that wide open 3 at the end.

As people have said, it was good to see that Duke can win with defense. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but that obviously wasn't the case for last year's team. They showed something very important last night that K has mentioned multiple times, and that is not letting whether or not their shots are falling affect the way they are guarding. That was great to see out of a young team - they had a comically bad night shooting the ball, but they didn't let that have a negative mental effect on the defensive end of the floor. That is a great sign.

The shooting, though, is a big time concern.

Reactions: jwill133
+1000! Man for a min, I had to refresh my computer, could of sworn somehow I ended up on RR. Some go with which way the wind is blowing. Maybe time to drop anchor and hang in there for a min lol.
Amen brother....I mean take a deep breath and relax a little. We’re gonna be alright.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
That last part is almost not true to a point. He switched jerseys and now says Barrett on the back. Blame game is the same.
Hellllllllll no not even close! Maybe people are barking like it’s Duval, but it’s for different reasons! Barret is helping us win. Duval was helping us lose while we tried to hide him. Then factor in his mouth naaaaaaasirrrr lol

Looking back through this thread at posts early in the game and then when the outcome was known is hilarious. Lots of jumping off and on the bandwagon.
Big win last night. Lots of adversity can only make us stronger. I can’t imagine us having a worse shooting night, yet we still win by double digits. Tre Jones is a freaking MAN on D.

I couldn’t even jump off, I was drunk by about 7:15!! I just rode along!

Hellllllllll no not even close! Maybe people are barking like it’s Duval, but it’s for different reasons! Barret is helping us win. Duval was helping us lose while we tried to hide him. Then factor in his mouth naaaaaaasirrrr lol
Maybe I been on a different board then, because I could swear Barrett catches hell here sometimes when Duke is not blowing the doors off somebody. Comments I've seen this early in the season in reference to him sure is not alinged with helping Duke win. But we know what opinions are like. Just my 2 cents. As long as Duke is across their chest, I'm consistent in my love for each one of them. Not into harshly judging 18-19 year old young men over a GAME.

Despite our obvious struggles shooting the ball, esp from 3, I love our team defense. I never really thought a group of OADs could learn coach’s defense in one year but this group is quickly proving me wrong. A defense like this can lead us to #6.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
Despite our obvious struggles shooting the ball, esp from 3, I love our team defense. I never really thought a group of OADs could learn coach’s defense in one year but this group is quickly proving me wrong. A defense like this can lead us to #6.

And should be a benchmark for future teams. It’s not impossible to learn good team defense with a team of young players.

I couldn’t even jump off, I was drunk by about 7:15!! I just rode along!

a9NlEX4.jpg

Maybe I been on a different board then,

Nope....you're in the right place. RJ is definitely this years whipping boy. I counted 7 RJ bashing posts from one poster. I don't mean "RJ is having a bad night shooting", because he was. I mean bashing.....like the guy wished he would never play again.....unbelievable
I am VERY glad RJ plays for Duke. Very very glad.

Nope....you're in the right place. RJ is definitely this years whipping boy. I counted 7 RJ bashing posts from one poster. I don't mean "RJ is having a bad night shooting", because he was. I mean bashing.....like the guy wished he would never play again.....unbelievable
Man DukefanKY, you just saved me lol. I was about to go explain to the wife that I need to be checked out because i'm seeing things that are not there. So you saying in so many words, I'm not loosing it? I value your opinion too lol.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Sitting here in the pro shop at work, still wondering how we pulled out that win. Not many teams can shoot 38% from the field including 3-20 from long range, turn the ball over 19 times, trail by 10 in the second half, and pull out a W against the #12 team in the nation.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.
IMO our shooting percentage for last night is a bit deceiving because of our 3 point shooting because if you look at just our 2 point shooting we shot 20-40 for 50% from 2 point range.

Me too. He's a special player. OFC

Reactions: dbav

My dad taught me a long time ago that stupid people say stupid things.

My dad taught me a long time ago that stupid people say stupid things.

It seems that it is the same people every year who pick out a player and ride him. But to single out RJ is extreme. Look if unc didn't have so many top 50 NBA player of all time :rolleyes: RJ depending on whathe he does at the next level might be in the mix.

It seems that it is the same people every year who pick out a player and ride him. But to single out RJ is extreme. Look if unc didn't have so many top 50 NBA player of all time :rolleyes: RJ depending on whathe he does at the next level might be in the mix.
Absolutely. I tell you what skysdad, there is no shame in their game, that's for sure.

Rewatching the game and am getting rustled listening to these blowhards Jay W and Greenberg talk about UNC. I’m not saying they aren’t a good team but what have they done to show final 4 or Nat champion good?

While we're all complaining about various aspects of this team, here we are, one bucket away from being undefeated thus far. I'm tickled shitless.
And somehow that thought seems to be a distant memory. We have something special on our hands right now. We better enjoy it and save all the constant picking for when that time comes. I don't think it's here yet. I'm talking shit to anybody here in the ATL that look like a sports fan. Let's Go Duke!

Reactions: QC Dukie
The level of panic some of you display during games are hilarious. We’re in a great position. We make free throws in the games we need to. As far as jumpers sometimes you’re on and some you’re not. It happens. Last night was our worst shooting night and we scored 69 against the best defense. We make 6 3s and this is a 20 point win. That’s 30% which isn’t that good but that makes this game not even close

Reactions: AlanInNJ
The level of panic some of you display during games are hilarious. We’re in a great position. We make free throws in the games we need to. As far as jumpers sometimes you’re on and some you’re not. It happens. Last night was our worst shooting night and we scored 69 against the best defense. We make 6 3s and this is a 20 point win. That’s 30% which isn’t that good but that makes this game not even close
TT doesn’t turn the ball over the first half 15 times we score like 12-14 points that half....and we’re not even close;)

Right?! And how many Duke teams in the past would have lost that game if they shot 3-20 from three? A lot!!

Last edited by a moderator:
TT doesn’t turn the ball over the first half 15 times we score like 12-14 points that half....and we’re not even close;)

U realize we had 12 turnovers in the first half as well. When good defenses play that tends to happen. Creating turnovers is what we do so we’re going to turnover teams and get points. It’s not luck. It’s what we do

Well gents, I finally was able to watch the game. I’m a TTU fan and I must say. Hell of a defense you guys have And elite athletes. I will pick duke to win in my March madness bracket.

Hope to see you guys down the way.

Reactions: DukeDenver and dbav
U realize we had 12 turnovers in the first half as well. When good defenses play that tends to happen. Creating turnovers is what we do so we’re going to turnover teams and get points. It’s not luck. It’s what we do
You do realize I’m mocking your hypothetical bs.....

You got @dukehokie agreeing with about everything that comes out your toilet bowl filled with a BB here lately buddy! @dachampishere2....the guy that that knows it all, seen it all, does it all, and most importantly wants to run the pick and roll. The same guy that thinks a defender going (under) the pick and roll would be at Duvals advantage last year, and give him more opportunity to get to the basket....“right?!“ I think different of you now @dukehokie:confused:o_O Dachamp2020

Last edited:
You got @dukehokie agreeing with about everything that comes out your toilet bowl filled with a BB here lately buddy! @dachampishere2....the guy that that knows it all, seen it all, does it all, and most importantly wants to run the pick and roll. The same guy that thinks a defender going (under) the pick and roll would be at Duvals advantage last year, and give him more opportunity to get to the basket....“right?!“ I think different of you now @dukehokie:confused:o_O Dachamp2020

No matter what he says next time, I’ll disagree to save myself. How about that?

Rewatching the game and am getting rustled listening to these blowhards Jay W and Greenberg talk about UNC. I’m not saying they aren’t a good team but what have they done to show final 4 or Nat champion good?

Nothing. They have a poor defense and that's going to cost them in the long run

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT