ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs. Rhode Island - 2:40pm EST Saturday

I like the confidence of Duval going into this game coming off his outside shooting display Thursday. I think this can only help him and us going forward. Couldnt come at a better time. OFC

That line is a good sign.

I hope it it double digits by game time. We need to expand the zone to their perimeter and make them flash to the high post and see how they do with that. I think they are so perimeter oriented this zone may give them trouble. Carolina was built for flashing a big man to the free throw line that could catch it, then turn and shoot or make a good pass out of it.....I don’t think RI can do that. I also think they kill them inside.

Duke 84
RI 70

Should be that typical 2nd round game. We need to have a good start, and stay out in front of them, and then continue squeezing the life out of them, where we win by 14-17. Rhode Island looks like a team where if it starts going good for them, they'll let you know it. We need to show them who's the better team.
This game is the most important game Duke has played in, and I believe it's the defining game for our kids. Win this game and I think we start to roll.

RI has good guard play. They are fast and can get to the rim. If they are hot from 3 and/or we get our bigs in foul trouble it will be a tight game. There is no reason on God's green Earth that we shouldn't pound them inside on offense and get any look we want inside. I look for us to dominate the paint and will by 10-12.

Duval with the 3 ball threat...........Nice!!!!

Let's go Duke!

I like how our boys didn't lose their focus on defense despite the good shooting by Iona. They just seemed more engaged from the very tip off. Very selfless ball. Keep up the good work team.

Reactions: Mac9192
The Duke guards must continue the play from yesterday! I think RI will double down on Bagley and Carter, and dare the guards to beat them. This will probably be the case as long as Duke stays alive in the tournament. Not a great idea to tempt Grayson and Gary to shoot, and since Duval has now given everyone something else to prepare for, if he could continue his shooting, watch out!
Bagley, Carter, and Bolden are going to get their points, Duke just needs the guards to get theirs. If the guards continue to score, we all know how dangerous this team is!
Go Duke!
OFC

It's gonna be a pro-Rhode Island crowd and of course the previous game fans will be pulling for Rhode Island. Hopefully, we can get more fans to Pittsburgh on Saturday.
Durham is closer to Pittsburgh than Rhode Island. duke had the most fans of all the teams their on thursday. we just have to bring it on Saturday and shouldn't have any issues with Rhode Island

Reactions: pisgah101
I think we will win. I know it was just the first round but we really seemed dialed in and focused vs. Iona. We played like an experienced team and seemed loose. Duval has some swagger and Grayson looked good. And Bagley is on a mission. I think it's close but we pull away in the second half for a 10 point win.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I honestly was more afraid of Oklahoma, they looked like the better passing team yesterday. Passing is the key to beating our zone.

Rhode Island is scrappy, and they are full of 21-22 year olds. However, basically all they ran yesterday was high-ball screen pick-n-roll, that won’t work against our zone. They remind me a lot of Miami, terrific athletic guards, but they are 1 on 1 scorers. As long as we limit our turnovers, I think we cruise by 10+.

Now if we never ever adjusted to zone...their guards would shred us for 40 min.

Reactions: christophero
I think our zone neutralizes their strength. If RI cannot get 3's going down, it may be a long day for them. The key is to get up early and keep them out of it. Cannot let them hang around.

Durham is closer to Pittsburgh than Rhode Island. duke had the most fans of all the teams their on thursday. we just have to bring it on Saturday and shouldn't have any issues with Rhode Island

Were you in the arena? From TV, RI sounded like they had the most fans.

I believe of our guards make everyone come out and them honest on D, it's going to open things up even more for Wendell and Marvin

If our guards shoot well and take care of the basketball we should win. You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to figure that out. :)

Reactions: tripleb71
LETS GO GET #6!!!! #SI6HTS

L1GI4kn.jpg

This game really worries me. I really think RI beats us baring another Duval miracle. Or less then 2 TOs. Lol we’re what 18-1 when that happens. I know it’s just not on him and everybody has to play good. Just saying he’s the most important guy on our team for us to cut the nets down. We look great when he has his game. Wish it wasn’t rare.Those 3s were just a bonus of what he needs to do . Take care the ball, play defense, make good passes. Be ur strength the slasher

Last edited:
I think I read they have a starter over 6’5. Extend the zone, be active and murder them inside and on the glass. We got this!!!!

I think RI's guards are going to have issues shooting over our guard's length. This would have been ripe for an upset if we played man, but I think we take away thier strength with our zone. Hoping we can get out to a double digit lead and keep it there.

RI starts 4 seniors, 1 soph....We need to take it to em from the outset. A veteran team like that gets a lead, and their confidence really soars. Huge game for RI coach Dan Hurley as a win over K really catapults him into national coaching limelight. Heres hoping that does not happen! OFC

They seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder. I think they heard everyone saying they were going out early and were overrated. So folks should keep saying that!

Look for their guards to dribble drive and bring the ball to our bigs and try to draw fouls. thats what good experienced guards do.

we need to forget about the 3 ball and establish our inside game. they have no one that can stop Bagley, carter or Bolden for that matter.

once we do this we let Duval break them down on the dribble and gary and grayson finish them off from 3.

i kinda think that kenny smith is right. at some point k might come out of this zone, just to throw the opponent off. Probably not this game though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT