ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS BELLARMINE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I saw it mentioned that Moore played his best at the 4 last season. This year he's been the 2 or 3.

I truly believe Moore is adjusting to his new role as a leader and it's wreaking havoc on his overall game. Given time I expect this to change. Or I hope so at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeNation12
I saw it mentioned that Moore played his best at the 4 last season. This year he's been the 2 or 3.

He needs to play the 2 or 3. He might be better at the 4, but Moore being better at the 4 isn't better Duke considering Hurt and Jalen Johnson are both significantly better at the 4 than Moore is. Moore is 6'5 with a 6'11 wingspan. If he ever wants to play in the NBA, it's at the 2 playing excellent defense and knocking down open 3's. He should be working on nothing but that, while reducing his usage which is too high, to better help this team and simultaneously his future in professional basketball.

The sad truth for Moore, and anyone else who doesn't yet see it, is that he has no professional future with hsic current brand of basketball. The guy plays basketball like he probably did in high school- as an overpowering athletic and physical presence that dribbles past or through or everyone and scores. This doesn't work in college because defenses are infinitely better and more talented. All of the dribbling he did and scoring through 3 people in high school will never ever work in college. We saw the results last year and then again this year: a lot of turnovers and bad shot attempts.

Moore has to completely break his game down. Brakefield is better than him right now, and eventually, Coach K will have to replace Moore with Brakefield in the starting line-up. It won't happen immediately, but it's eventually going to happen. When this happens, Moore has a choice to make. He can either decide he's transferring, or, he can be honest with himself. If he's honest with himself, he will realize his game needs to change and that he's not a superstar.

The only way for Moore to have success at Duke, and as a professional, is if he focuses on becoming a 3 & D wing. This season, Brakefield is better than him. Next season, there is no chance he starts with Griffin, Banchero, and possibly Keels and Baldwin coming in and maybe a lot of sophomores returning. His role next season is to be a rotational player off the bench that plays great defense, has energy, and knocks down open 3's. Once he lays that foundation, he begin expanding his game to perimeter drives and getting to the FT line (he's a good FT shooter). If he does this, by his senior year he can be a player that starts at Duke and averages double digits and makes a case for getting drafted.

Either accept that he isn't the man and is not going to be at Duke, or, transfer.

True I certainly wasn't suggesting Moore play the 4; just that he played better at the 4.
He did play best at the 4 as he’s tough around the rim and was a match up problem. As a guard or wing he struggles on the perimeter; below average handles and a mediocre jumper.

Reactions: christophero
Whining? You are a freaking clown...now go play with your barbie dolls
Real original, riding the coattails of my previous post. Can’t wait for the Illini game; according to you the whole team will suck 😂

Real original, riding the coattails of my previous post. Can’t wait for the Illini game; according to you the whole team will suck 😂

You are such a clown....no we are a great team...did you see how we dismantled bellarmine or whatever they are called? Yeah we're great and so are you clown....idiot

You are such a clown....no we are a great team...did you see how we dismantled bellarmine or whatever they are called? Yeah we're great and so are you clown....idiot
Thank you for acknowledging the Duke team (and myself) are great. Cheers!

My dad was a high school basketball coach. His observation; no one gets by their man. We just pass it around the perimeter not really improving angles. I would assume Roach improves on this as the year goes on.
It’s early but I’m not sure what K saw in Roach. He doesn’t have great speed and isn’t long/big. Hoping he can adjust quickly as they need a true point.

I gotta be honest... a lineup of Jalen at point, Goldwire or Steward at the 2, Brakefield at the 3, Hurt at the 4 and Williams at the 5 intrigues the heck out of me.

And maybe a zone on the defensive end?

posted this somewhere else too: thinking about ALL the lineup possibilities and hoping we eventually get to see

DJ/JBrake/Jalen/Hurt/Mark

Really like what those 5 could bring together and see how they mesh. Roach and JGold will also be vital. Moore might be more Matt Jones than Winslow. Hope he can figure everything out at Duke!

My dad was a high school basketball coach. His observation; no one gets by their man. We just pass it around the perimeter not really improving angles. I would assume Roach improves on this as the year goes on.
I'm not sure our point guards are allowed to attack honestly. Just think back over the last few years. Tre didn't attack hardly at all his freshman year. Duval and Frank Jackson seemed to be set on the perimeter all the time. I don't get it. Roach was a penetrator before coming in. Now he plays like Goldwire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT