ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Football Predictions: Season in Thirds

BluePhil

Cameron Crazy
Jan 28, 2008
Duke has been young for the last couple of years and have had glimmers of really good football, but have been down from their heights of just 5 years ago. Part is the general improvement of the ACC.

This year Duke looks to have a strong team, 8 returning starters from a top 25 defense, another year under the belt of Daniel Jones and some improvements in our kicking game.

We unfortunately have LOTS of tough away games this year. With the exception of VT all our toughest games this year are road games. Both big OOC games are on the road.

First Four Games:

Duke vs. Army (Home) - This is a must win IMO, it sets us up for the tough 2 away games right after. To be on a positive note for the season we need this win. I think Duke takes care of business at home against Army . (1-0)

Duke @ Northwestern: It has been a good Home and Home series. NW seems to be a well-suited opponent for us. This could be a tough game, but if we beat Army I like us in this game. (2-0)

Duke @ Baylor: Baylor stunk it up last year. What on the schedule last year should have been a really tough game was not as it should have been. Their scandals decimated the team. This year they should be markedly improved but I think our experience and hard nosed defense wins out. (3-0)

Duke vs. NCCU (Home): Our one real gimme of the season. (4-0)

I would be ecstatic if this prediction holds true. The game I am MOST worried about is Northwestern, with Baylor being a big ? If we pull off 3-1 in this first bit I will also be happy.

Second FOUR games:

Duke vs. Virginia Tech (Home): This is the toughest opponent (preseason) that we will face at Home. I am scared of the VT team. They have improved the last couple of seasons and look like a dog that wants to hunt. I want us to win so bad, but just do not see it. (4-1)

Duke @ Georgia Tech: Man I wish this one was at home. There is talk of them being in the hunt for the Coastal. I like to think we are as well. I like our defense for this game and the triple option is nothing new for this squad. Our revitalized late season squad crushed them last year. I think our defense wins this one for us. (5-1)

Duke vs. Virginia (Home): Virginia the last two years has not just had Daniel Jones number, they have had it on speed dial. 7 interceptions in the two games. We are better than Virginia and it is time Daniel Jones showed it. Their streak against us ends here! (6-1)

Duke @ Pitt: Pitt is another team I think we are better than that has beaten us the last two years. They also pulled off the stunner against Miami last year. I think this is Daniel Jones year for revenge against old foes. (7-1)

7-1 is doable - I think every game I put us winning is winnable.

Final FOUR games:

Duke @ Miami: Due to 2015 there is not team (including UNC) that I want to beat more in the ACC. Sadly no, I don't think it is going to happen. (7-2)

Duke vs. UNC (Home): Okay so maybe I want to beat Carolina more and keep the bell. At home, as long as we are competitive with Miami I think we retain the confidence to pull off this win. (8-2)

Duke @ Clemson: (8-3)

Duke vs. Wake Forest (Home): We end with a win! (9-3)!!!!!

A bit pie in the sky, but I think it is possible.

Thanks for your predictions. I think we lose to at least one of Northwestern, Baylor, Georgia Tech or Wake, but we beat VaTech. I would take an 8-4 season against this schedule in a heartbeat!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Thanks for your predictions. I think we lose to at least one of Northwestern, Baylor, Georgia Tech or Wake, but we beat VaTech. I would take an 8-4 season against this schedule in a heartbeat!

It is all in the hands of Daniel Jones and the rest of the offense (assuming D continues its play from last year), consistent and 8-9 wins is very possible. Inconsistent and we could have another slump like we fell into last year.

#LoveMyDukeFootball
(Hence Hart2Chesson) You younger guys can look em up, OFC'ers know who I mean! I will take a 7-5 and be very happy, despite Cut saying recently this is his "most talented and deepest team."

OFC

I cherish and love every win and disappointed in every loss. It was so hard for about 20 years until Coach Cut came along so you will not see me trying to out guess him. He is as much a gift to Duke football as Coach K is to Duke basketball. Yes I know Duke football has never won a national championship and Coach K has his five. Just like Hart said you have to be around a long time to understand what a winning season or a post season bowl game means. OFC

Duke has been young for the last couple of years and have had glimmers of really good football, but have been down from their heights of just 5 years ago. Part is the general improvement of the ACC.

This year Duke looks to have a strong team, 8 returning starters from a top 25 defense, another year under the belt of Daniel Jones and some improvements in our kicking game.

We unfortunately have LOTS of tough away games this year. With the exception of VT all our toughest games this year are road games. Both big OOC games are on the road.

First Four Games:

Duke vs. Army (Home) - This is a must win IMO, it sets us up for the tough 2 away games right after. To be on a positive note for the season we need this win. I think Duke takes care of business at home against Army . (1-0)

Duke @ Northwestern: It has been a good Home and Home series. NW seems to be a well-suited opponent for us. This could be a tough game, but if we beat Army I like us in this game. (2-0)

Duke @ Baylor: Baylor stunk it up last year. What on the schedule last year should have been a really tough game was not as it should have been. Their scandals decimated the team. This year they should be markedly improved but I think our experience and hard nosed defense wins out. (3-0)

Duke vs. NCCU (Home): Our one real gimme of the season. (4-0)

I would be ecstatic if this prediction holds true. The game I am MOST worried about is Northwestern, with Baylor being a big ? If we pull off 3-1 in this first bit I will also be happy.

Second FOUR games:

Duke vs. Virginia Tech (Home): This is the toughest opponent (preseason) that we will face at Home. I am scared of the VT team. They have improved the last couple of seasons and look like a dog that wants to hunt. I want us to win so bad, but just do not see it. (4-1)

Duke @ Georgia Tech: Man I wish this one was at home. There is talk of them being in the hunt for the Coastal. I like to think we are as well. I like our defense for this game and the triple option is nothing new for this squad. Our revitalized late season squad crushed them last year. I think our defense wins this one for us. (5-1)

Duke vs. Virginia (Home): Virginia the last two years has not just had Daniel Jones number, they have had it on speed dial. 7 interceptions in the two games. We are better than Virginia and it is time Daniel Jones showed it. Their streak against us ends here! (6-1)

Duke @ Pitt: Pitt is another team I think we are better than that has beaten us the last two years. They also pulled off the stunner against Miami last year. I think this is Daniel Jones year for revenge against old foes. (7-1)

7-1 is doable - I think every game I put us winning is winnable.

Final FOUR games:

Duke @ Miami: Due to 2015 there is not team (including UNC) that I want to beat more in the ACC. Sadly no, I don't think it is going to happen. (7-2)

Duke vs. UNC (Home): Okay so maybe I want to beat Carolina more and keep the bell. At home, as long as we are competitive with Miami I think we retain the confidence to pull off this win. (8-2)

Duke @ Clemson: (8-3)

Duke vs. Wake Forest (Home): We end with a win! (9-3)!!!!!

A bit pie in the sky, but I think it is possible.

I like your idea of breaking down the season into 3rds. I am HOPING for 3-1 after the first 4, given NW and Baylor will both be laying for us at home after last year. I was at the NW game last yr, and think Jones had his finest day as a Devil!

2nd four: Va Tech likely loss, Virginia should be a win especially after losses last two years(we're better than UVA) Ga Tech dogfight could go either way and we should beat Pat Narduzzi's Pitt Panthers( gave this one away last yr).

2-2 last four...

7-5, 8-4 probably a stretch....

OFC

I cherish and love every win and disappointed in every loss. It was so hard for about 20 years until Coach Cut came along so you will not see me trying to out guess him. He is as much a gift to Duke football as Coach K is to Duke basketball. Yes I know Duke football has never won a national championship and Coach K has his five. Just like Hart said you have to be around a long time to understand what a winning season or a post season bowl game means. OFC

SO TRUE!!!!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
7 or more including a win over Shoe Selling U will be acceptable.

Split Zion out in man coverage, let him go up and get it or let him be the next Gronk!!

For years I just wanted to field a competitive team.. Every football win is special after 40 years of futility!

Reactions: hpnole and skysdad
Give me a 7-5 including a victory over the Holes and I’ll take it.
Fans of other fan bases have no idea what following Duke football between 1974 the present was like. Cutcliffe and the Duke program is a miracle. I had no idea how undermanned we actually were until now , we played wo ACC caliber players. Frankly I am amazed the final scores in the dark ages were not worse.

With this schedule, we will have to be a LOT better than we were last year in order to go 8-4. Cut is always optimistic this time of year. I think we will be doing well to go 7-5, and I would be satisfied with that.

With this schedule, we will have to be a LOT better than we were last year in order to go 8-4. Cut is always optimistic this time of year. I think we will be doing well to go 7-5, and I would be satisfied with that.

Cut has a knack for perhaps getting our expectations a tad too high this time of year.Comments such as "our fastest team ever, most depth ever, most talented ever," only raise some fans hopes TOO HIGH. He's been just as guilty this year....Heres hoping he's right because I 've read its possible we could be underdogs in ALL of our road games....

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT