ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

I'll miss Peebles.

I read that Trooper Taylor will be coaching the team in the bowl game. That tells me Johns is leaving.]

I wouldn't vote against Taylor being the next head coach. He is well liked, has been here for a while, and fits their need for a minority hire.
Not qualified to be a head coach. Has never been an OC or a DC. If he were qualified, he would have won the job before Elko was hired. The 3 reasons Liftee gives for hiring him have absolutely nothing to do with establishing or preserving a good football program. Cut was well liked and was here for awhile; yet, when he left, the program was in shambles. Taylor was there when we could not win even 1 ACC game. "Need for a minority hire?" Really? Really? What kind of woke BS is that? Duke's only need is to hire the best coach available, be he (or she, trans, whatever) black, red, yellow, pink, green, and/or, heaven forbid, white. And BTW, who says Taylor ain't eventually going to A & M along with the rest of the staff? If he were worth it, Elko would bring him along too.

OFC

Last edited:
GOD NO TO JASON GARRETT. UGH
so they had a zoom call with the recruits and parents tonight. all the defensive coaches were on there along with trooper and cushing the oline coach. supposedly went well. from what i heard it seems like the recruits are trying to stick together and stay committed. i am sure Conor will have more good info tomorrow. santucci told the kids that they are there for them now but the new incoming coach will make any changes to the staff he wants of course. Nina seems to me to be handling this fantastically well. i have calmed down at this point. i will never like elko and will now pull against aTm every chance i get.

Reactions: hart2chesson
GOD NO TO JASON GARRETT. UGH
so they had a zoom call with the recruits and parents tonight. all the defensive coaches were on there along with trooper and cushing the oline coach. supposedly went well. from what i heard it seems like the recruits are trying to stick together and stay committed. i am sure Conor will have more good info tomorrow. santucci told the kids that they are there for them now but the new incoming coach will make any changes to the staff he wants of course. Nina seems to me to be handling this fantastically well. i have calmed down at this point. i will never like elko and will now pull against aTm every chance i get.
No way to Jason Garrett!!! He's slick, and may try his best to charm his way into the job.

OFC

It occurs to me that Elko won with Cut's players, mainly seniors and 5th year guys, plus some really good transfers.

I wonder if he saw that it would take a few years to cultivate his own players and figured it was a good time to get out.

I'm thinking that Elko showed Duke can win on the big stage and the next guy might take a couple years to rebuild the team but it can be done if we are patient and the next guy is the right guy. Don't know who that is though.

If anyone even considered leaving to be with this guy who showed no moral character or integrity in the way he handled this situation (and in fact seems like he used Duke from day 1), GTFO. I do not want him and if you jump to work for him, kind of speaks volumes on you.

On another note, would the way he handled his departure and everything Duke is doing, could we stem the losses? They might leave, but if I was a parent of a Duke player or commit, I would be very disappointed in my son if he followed this man, who showed his true self and character, to TAMU. Hope the way Elko handled this is used as a rally cry for current players and commits.

On a side note, I didn't realize he interviewed at MSU. How obvious you want out are you of you interview at that dumpster fire. And as big as it is just for the football program, the whole university is a dumpster fire right now.

Congratulations to our All-ACC players! It’s been a while since so many Duke players received this honor in 1 season.

A few thoughts:

--Our basketball and football programs could not be more different. Friday night the mostly 4 and 5 star basketball team sleep walked through a win over an over matched low D I team in front of a fairly loud crowd made up of alums and fans who traveled hundreds of miles for a chance to see their team. Saturday the mostly 3 star football team gutted their way to a win over a major D I team in front of - nobody. I bet that's when Elko decided for sure he was done at this school.

--The next coach will be either a hire from in house (Trooper Taylor or Kevin Johns) or a minority hire outside the system. I think the administration really wanted to make a minority hire last time but were caught short when Elliot (thankfully) took the UVA job. I hope there's a good one out there somewhere.

I'm very sad today and sad that Duke may not be able to field a Bowl team. I love Duke football and will continue to love it.
..a minority hire?

I really expect Duke to make a minority hire.

OFC
Yeaaaaaaa this is a touchy subject, but that’s absolutely terrible. So if I’m a minority I have a better chance to get the job, and likely will get the job over a guy with the exact same skill set to do the job? Or worse, get the job over better options becuase I’m a minority? Naaaaaa go ahead with that ignorant horse crap. There’s enough “minority’s” here at elevated jobs making bank now tax free here! O that’s not good enough while the majority’s struggle to put food on the table, let’s send billions across the creek to the minorities over there too! Fk outa here. White people yo…..

Last edited:
Yeaaaaaaa this is a touchy subject, but that’s absolutely terrible. So if I’m a minority I have a better chance to get the job, and likely will get the job over a guy with the exact same skill set to do the job? Or worse, get the job over better options becuase I’m a minority? Naaaaaa go ahead with that ignorant horse crap. There’s enough “minority’s” here at elevated jobs making bank now tax free here! O that’s not good enough while the majority’s struggle to put food on the table, let’s send billions across to creek to the minorities over there too! Fk outa here. White people yo…..
Ah,Ifaze are you in the sauce tonight? OFC

What about Curt Cignetti?? I have a feeling the JMU coach(has the Dukes at 11-1, ranked 24th) is seriously in the mix. Just a hunch.

He also knows the area. He's been an asst at Davidson, NC State, and head coach at nearby Elon. (That's @skysdad stomping grounds).

OFC

Ah,Ifaze are you in the sauce tonight? OFC
Yes got me heated 😂 dammit man if I had a little color I’d be the richest man in the US with all these EQUAL opportunities presented/gifted out here by the morons running their publicity 1 up political showing of good faith, all while more morons buy their stock too! Ok that’s it about that . Goodnight

I'm not trying to make this political. I just know that Duke would love to make a minority hire for this position. Remember there were many who were not happy about the alleged Tommy Amaker episode when Scheyer was hired. And you may have heard what Gene Banks said about Duke not being willing to hire a minority for one of its premiere coaching jobs. I hope Duke picks the best qualified guy even if he's a Martian.

Which coaches are still there other than Taylor?

I'm still good with Johns getting the job. Doesn't he have some head coaching experience?

We need to get another really really good strength and conditioning coach. Feeley made a world of difference.

Reactions: jeffrey236

I'm still good with Johns getting the job. Doesn't he have some head coaching experience?

We need to get another really really good strength and conditioning coach. Feeley made a world of difference.
Johns was head coach at Memphis before Elko brought him here. I also like Santucci. OFC

I'm not trying to make this political. I just know that Duke would love to make a minority hire for this position. Remember there were many who were not happy about the alleged Tommy Amaker episode when Scheyer was hired. And you may have heard what Gene Banks said about Duke not being willing to hire a minority for one of its premiere coaching jobs. I hope Duke picks the best qualified guy even if he's a Martian.
Alex Atkins, is Black yes, oc at fsu. Not sure if he or Norvell calls the plays but is highly regarded.

The only staff member who has left with Elko is Feeley. Doesn't mean there won't be more; but right now, that's it.

Alex Atkins, is Black yes, oc at fsu. Not sure if he or Norvell calls the plays but is highly regarded.
Norvell is their playcaller.

Johns was head coach at Memphis before Elko brought him here. I also like Santucci. OFC
Johns was Memphis' OC; he's never been a head coach.

Reactions: surfdevil
So no coach on our staff right now has been a head coach. I have seen in various threads a lot of people throw out troopers name because for the second time in 2 years because he is the one holding the program together. Gotta say not the worst name I have heard. Loyal to Duke. High energy and players love him. Keep johns at OC and santucci as DC and the rest of the staff and the only piece we need to find is a GOOD strength coach and we keep the status quo. I think he would be a good head of a program that realizes it is the coaches you hire that make you look smart.

Last edited:

Reactions: Devilinside
So no coach on our staff right now has been a head coach. I have seen in various threads a lot of people throw out troopers name because for the second time in 2 years he is the one holding the program together. Gotta say not the worst name I have heard. Loyal to Duke. High energy and players love him. Keep johns at OC and santucci as DC and the rest of the staff and the only piece we need to find is a GOOD strength coach and we keep the status quo. I think he would be a good head of a program that realizes it is the coaches you hire that make you look smart.

Surf, sounds like you have it all figured out. I like continuity in terms of keeping people here. I have a feeling though that Nina is looking outside the program for someone with experience. I just hope we have good choices and we're not striking out on the entire list. I wish we would hear something positive, like who is interviewing, etc.

Reactions: surfdevil
So no coach on our staff right now has been a head coach. I have seen in various threads a lot of people throw out troopers name because for the second time in 2 years he is the one holding the program together. Gotta say not the worst name I have heard. Loyal to Duke. High energy and players love him. Keep johns at OC and santucci as DC and the rest of the staff and the only piece we need to find is a GOOD strength coach and we keep the status quo. I think he would be a good head of a program that realizes it is the coaches you hire that make you look smart.
I do not see how making Taylor head coach would preserve the status quo even assuming that Johns and Santucci would stay. My guess is that Taylor was made interim coach because he was the least likely to leave Duke during the dead period during Duke's search for a new HC. He has not been an OC or a DC since he has been here. Apparently, Cut and Elko did not view Taylor as coordinator material. To me, Johns would be a much better choice. Unfortunately, there is no way to assume that any of the current staff will stay. OFC

Last edited:
dont want to argue but elko thought enough of trooper to name him associate head coach. i am not saying i want him as head coach but i would not lose any sleep over it. a head coach to me is more of a figure head who needs to recognize and hire talent under him. lots of names still in play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT