ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

I wonder if Jamey Chadwell would be interested but it could be Elko all over again in two years if he has success.

Well according to the Devils Den, Elko has informed Duke that he is taking the Texas A&M job!! I hope the 2 faced lying bastard loses every damn game they play next year!!

OFC
He’ll prolly be fired in 3-5 years, A&M are the Dallas cowboys of college football. They’ll always be the little brother of Texas. They are nc state with billions

Wow. I can't believe any players would follow him to A & M, unless it's for the $$$.

Wow. I can't believe any players would follow him to A & M, unless it's for the $$$.
No disrespect to any of our players but Jimbo put together some of the best recruiting classes that school has ever seen. I can’t imagine them poaching 2-3 star players.

So what did Elko do while he was here? He proved that Duke could be transformed into a highly competitive team against some of the stronger teams in the country (FSU, ND, UNCheat, Miami, Clempsun, Louisville, Kansas, Central Florida,). He went 16 and 9. He hired outstanding assistants. He revived student and alumni interest in Duke football. Duke outplayed UNCheat two years in a row only to have the W's stolen by the zebras. He made Duke one of the very best conditioned teams in the country. Duke won games while missing its top two QB's. Duke's defense was one of the best until the injury bug hit. Overall, Coach Elko's presence here was hugely beneficial to Duke, and I thank him for it. We are unquestionably better off than we would have been had we never hired him.There are plenty of reasons for him to go to A & M besides the money: better facilities, a bevy of 4* and 5* players, playing in the premier conference in the country, the SEC, fan support, familiarity with the school and College Station. Finally, when he said he was staying, he obviously did not have an offer from A & M. Thus, at the time he made the statment, it may have been true, especially considering the fact that it looked like Stoopes was going to A & M. Elko is a great man, and I see nothing wrong with the choice he made. He has nothing to apologize for IMHO. OFC

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
So what did Elko do while he was here? He proved that Duke could be transformed into a highly competitive team against some of the stronger teams in the country (FSU, ND, UNCheat, Miami, Clempsun, Louisville, Kansas, Central Florida,). He went 16 and 9. He hired outstanding assistants. He revived student and alumni interest in Duke football. Duke outplayed UNCheat two years in a row only to have the W's stolen by the zebras. He made Duke one of the very best conditioned teams in the country. Duke won games while missing its top two QB's. Duke's defense was one of the best until the injury bug hit. Overall, Coach Elko's presence here was hugely beneficial to Duke, and I thank him for it. We are unquestionably better off than we would have been had we never hired him.There are plenty of reasons for him to go to A & M besides the money: better facilities, a bevy of 4* and 5* players, playing in the premier conference in the country, the SEC, fan support, familiarity with the school and College Station. Finally, when he said he was staying, he obviously did not have an offer from A & M. Thus, at the time he made the statment, it may have been true, especially considering the fact that it looked like Stoopes was going to A & M. Elko is a great man, and I see nothing wrong with the choice he made. He has nothing to apologize for IMHO. OFC
Disagree. Again, don’t say you are committed to a program if you are not. Until you’re offered a better job is not a commitment.

I know there is a lot more to it, but kind of a big gamble for TAMU. There was a big upgrade in commitment to get Elko and a push to get good assistants, but at the end of the day, the big bulk of the guys for this team were Cuts guys.

Good luck competing with Texas and LSU for guys. Good luck on convincing these smart Ivy guys on grad transferring in to TAMU, but also to convince TAMU boosters to allow these Ivies to plug holes. Good luck glad-handing all these boosters who want a seat at the table because they plop down a bunch of oil money for football.

Money doesn't always buy everything you hope for.

I am NOT rooting for Elko to be successful. I AM NOT going to never not be ticked. I am NOT ever going to think he did anything but play Duke from day 1. Say whatever you will about Cut, he put the pieces in place and I think Duke was better when he left than when he came in. I know it will take a year to determine the answer on this, but I do not see how we are better when Elko left than when he was hired. I think boosters will be more timid and will wait to see some on field success plus commitment from the new coach. I almost think we would have been better with a young, hungry coach who barely got us bowl eligible than what just happened.

I hope your tenure in TAMU is full of 4th and 16s (better still, not even be good enough to get to that position in the first place)...

Last edited:
I have been guy punched twice now with two non Duke MBB teams: when @sshat Alleva did nothing to support Coach G and then made a half-hearted effort to keep her. Then he goes out and made a disaster of a hire to replace her. Now this.

I know it will be hard for me to be this emotionally invested in Duke football as I was this year. Got to imagine I am not the only Duke fan to feel this way.

I have been guy punched twice now with two non Duke MBB teams: when @sshat Alleva did nothing to support Coach G and then made a half-hearted effort to keep her. Then he goes out and made a disaster of a hire to replace her. Now this.

I know it will be hard for me to be this emotionally invested in Duke football as I was this year. Got to imagine I am not the only Duke fan to feel this way.
You are not!!!!

OFC

Right there with you

DI, my quarrel with him is that he knew his mandate was to build Duke’s program to where it would be regarded as a welcome member for one of the Big 3 when the next (and perhaps final) conference realignment occurs. You can’t do that simply by having 2 winning seasons, no matter how much of a turnaround that equated to. You need, IMHO, 5-6 years of sustained success on the field. Elko’s departure just undercuts that mandate. First, an entirely new staff has to come in quickly to at least retain our players who are good and, but this departure, would otherwise have stayed, as well as retain our committed recruits. They also have to get on the trail quickly to evaluate and retain relationships with underclassmen who we were recruiting. A handful of transfer offers a have apparently been made - are those in jeopardy? But perhaps most importantly, Elko’s departure just reinforces the narrative that at Duke, if you do well, you become a valued target for other schools, and if you do meh, like Cutcliffe his last 5 years or so, the school has a lot of patience. I was hoping Elko could change that narrative by not only turning the team around, but sustaining that to the point that coaching FB at Duke would be perceived as a desirable place to both succeed and have a lengthy tenure. Perhaps that was naive of me, but I think Nina King envisioned that as well, which led to his getting a lot of his wishlist items granted and an extension after only 1 year.

No question the sparse attendance for games other than Clemson, NC State and Notre Dame probably bothered Elko, but the crowd for those 3 games showed what the potential is. Building a loyal fan base to the point they attend good or bad, nasty weather or brilliant sunshine, doesn’t occur in 2 years - again, that’s a program feature that Elko failed to stay long enough to deliver.

I almost started a thread when rumors about MSU started, titled “Elko - Program Rebuilder or Death Knell for Duke FB”, but decided not to since it was far from clear whether he’d even be interested so it seemed premature. Sadly, I think it’s quite likely this is going to be the death knell. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Disagree. Again, don’t say you are committed to a program if you are not. Until you’re offered a better job is not a commitment.
All he said at the time when addressed aboutn The Michigna State opening was that he intended to be at Duke next year. He did not express a promised long-term commitment to Duke. I do not recall any statement by him expressing that he would not accept an offer from A & M which he had not even received yet. On the other hand I cannot forgive the cowardly way he treated his players and recruits. I had misjudged the man's character. OFC

I'll miss Peebles.

I read that Trooper Taylor will be coaching the team in the bowl game. That tells me Johns is leaving.]

I wouldn't vote against Taylor being the next head coach. He is well liked, has been here for a while, and fits their need for a minority hire.

He's the interim coach; as far as I know, nobody has confirmed that he's coaching the bowl game.

I keep seeing Riley Leonard’s name mentioned with ND. I’m assuming because Hartman is gone and they will raid the portal. Their first game of the season is against A&M.

A quick glance at the A&M board shows they are pretty happy with the hire. I'm just a casual Duke football fan but keeping Riley should be a priority.

Question: If a new coach is brought in before the bowl, what offense and defense do they use? Do they try to put in a new system or does the coach learn to use Elko's?

I'm assuming a new coach would take a back seat to whomever is a holdover so there is some continuity.

This is part of the reason our basketball program keeps mostly Duke players on staff. Are there any ex Duke football players in coaching?

Reactions: surfdevil
Question: If a new coach is brought in before the bowl, what offense and defense do they use? Do they try to put in a new system or does the coach learn to use Elko's?

I'm assuming a new coach would take a back seat to whomever is a holdover so there is some continuity.
I've never heard of an incoming coach inputting a system in a matter of weeks before a bowl game. Duke's system will be what it's been running all season, would just about guarantee it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT