ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

No question we will need a well organized CEO and then really good teachers, motivators and strategists as coordinators and assistant coaches. Until midway through this year I thought Santucci and Johns were those guys. I doubt they became dumber or ran out of ideas--I tend to think it was a combination of injuries and tougher competition that brought us down to earth.

Reactions: surfdevil
Every team is banged up by the last 3rd of the season. I think the rumors of Elko leaving had something to do with it as well. We fared well against some tough early opponents, and then smelled it up with Virginia and Wake (even though that was a last second win). Probably some discouragement from the Cheats game as well. I’ll attribute the Louisville game as an ass-whupping by a very good team.

I do think we have less quality depth than other above average teams and that contributed to the the decline. Remember this is a team that was not even competitive a year and a half ago and it's not like we brought in a 5 star recruiting class this year. It was mainly the same guys with a sprinkling of transfers mostly from the Ivy League.

Yeah unfortunately we don't have the access to the same amount of nil money some schools have. It has been reported on other sites that he has been offered 7 figures by both Auburn and Notre Dame already. Can't blame the kid.

I guess I may be a little old fashion being an OFCer, but I always thought the players should be able to make something off their likeness because of all the time they put into their craft and the amount of money the NCAA made off them, but I feel like there should be a set amount that they can make!! This business of players leaving for the highest bidder, to me is kinda ruining college football. You can never really build a strong team without some rich school with boat loads of money stealing your best players. I just don't like it at all. But, that's just my opinion! With our coach quitting on us and some of our best players like Riley, going to the highest bidder, we will be starting from scratch next year! But I will still be hollering GO DUKE!!

OFC

I don't accept that it was only money. If I'm Riley, I look for a team with a better O line coming back, better receivers, even a better QB coach to get me to the next level. I hate it, but I accept his decision as being best for him.

That doesn't make what is happening any easier to accept. Losing Elko and now Riley feels like losing to the Cheaters in the Final Four. It is really depressing.

It’s the Wild West now, for both football and basketball. And probably other sports as well. It is definitely going to make it harder for us to compete at the highest level, Jon’s early recruiting success notwithstanding. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that’s why the Boozer twins appear to be slipping away.

I don't accept that it was only money. If I'm Riley, I look for a team with a better O line coming back, better receivers, even a better QB coach to get me to the next level. I hate it, but I accept his decision as being best for him.

That doesn't make what is happening any easier to accept. Losing Elko and now Riley feels like losing to the Cheaters in the Final Four. It is really depressing.
The more that comes out about how all this went down and Elko, I am not depressed but p!ssed. How he handled leaving, the lying, the zoom call, the fact that he interviewed at a university that is such a dumpster fire as MSU, I am glad he is gone. I do not believe his intention was to use Duke in this way from day 1, but at some point, it became that. The second zeros hit against Clemson? gameday here?

We are in a much better place in the long term with him gone. And the fact if he had any character and integrity, he would have said no as a laundry list of people said no to TAMU before they went to him. He is so blinded by his wanting to get out of Duke that he walked into a precarious situation. I will say the same thing about TAMU that I said about arkansas when i worked in the state 10 years ago. Fans think and act like they are one of the 10 best football schools in the country. You are (especially with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma) barely one of the 10 best schools in your own damn conference.

Especially with the way Elko handled all of this, I wonder if I am being overly optimistic but I think Duke can salvage a lot of current players and recruits simply using all this BS as a rallying point. Elko showed his ass and his true feelings, how any player or recruirs, or recruit's parents can have any positive thing about him is beyond me. If ND, Bama, OSU, or Michigan opens up, will he go through the whole process again of whoring himself out, get another job, and pull another Baltimore Colts?

Anyway you slice it, the main guys that led to success the past two seasons were Cut's guys.

To hell with Elko. I am done speaking of him. I am focused on Duke and our success. But, as a parting shot, I will repeat something I said earlier. Karma is a you-know-what. I would say I hope your career is full of 4th and 16, but I do not even want him on the precipice of success. I hope Riley goes to ND, drops a 300 yard passing game, and runs for a 50 yard TD on those @sshats...

Nebraska head coach Matt Rhule:

“Make no mistake that a good quarterback in the portal costs, you know, a million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now, just so we're all on the same page," Rhule said Wednesday while discussing the state of the program with reporters. "Let's make sure we all understand what's happening. There are some teams that have $6 [million] or $7 million players playing for them."

Mindboggling. This is what we’re up against.

I just want to recruit the best candidate possible. I am all for a minority hire as well. I have ZERO problem with Trooper Taylor because he's been at Duke for years, knows the game, and relates so well to players. I think he has a magnetic personality, and would assemble a fine staff.

Meanwhile, article in today's "Detroit Free Press" regarding an ex Duke player I am quite skeptical over as our possible next coach. He has been a head coach, with disastrous results:

OFC

Yeah unfortunately we don't have the access to the same amount of nil money some schools have. It has been reported on other sites that he has been offered 7 figures by both Auburn and Notre Dame already. Can't blame the kid.
Makes you wonder if the football program is sustainable, I’m sure more smaller schools feel the same

I firmly believe the football program is sustainable. Just like a mid major basketball team can compete against Duke even if it doesn't go to the final four. Our goal is not to compete every season with the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world but rather to be a top 25 team that occasionally hits the jackpot and can upset a Notre Dame or Clemson.

This season before 4th and 16 represented Duke's ceiling. And it was a great feeling to be there wasn't it!

Reactions: hart2chesson
I just want to recruit the best candidate possible. I am all for a minority hire as well. I have ZERO problem with Trooper Taylor because he's been at Duke for years, knows the game, and relates so well to players. I think he has a magnetic personality, and would assemble a fine staff.

Meanwhile, article in today's "Detroit Free Press" regarding an ex Duke player I am quite skeptical over as our possible next coach. He has been a head coach, with disastrous results:

OFC
Hart, I have to respectfully disagree with you on Trooper. I do not think he has the gravitas and exposure to attract quality assistants. At Duke he has coached only one segment of the entire program and has virtually little to no experience with the others. There is nothing to indicate that he has the organizational skills to serve as HC. As I said before, he has never been an OC or DC at Duke. If I were a quality Coordinator or assistant or recruit I would be very hesitant to trust my future to serving under an HC who has such a narrow area of expertise and no management experience. Trooper is well liked by the players and may be a decent recruiter, but those qualities alone do not make him an ideal HC candidate. Even Scottie can present a better resume than Trooper. I strongly believe that hiring Trooper would be a huge mistake. OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
dont want to argue but elko thought enough of trooper to name him associate head coach. i am not saying i want him as head coach but i would not lose any sleep over it. a head coach to me is more of a figure head who needs to recognize and hire talent under him. lots of names still in play.
True, but his limited actual coaching reponsibilities remained the same. Associate head coach positions are nothing more than a means to justify raising an assistant's salary. Trooper's selection to that position did not bring with it any meaningful change in his coaching duties. Both Coordinators carried far more impotant coaching duties than Trooper had even as associate head coach. I strongly disagree with the limited importance you assign to the head coach position. Saban, Harbaugh, Swinney, etc. are extremely important to their schools' successes. Ultimate responsibiliy for a school's performance is on the HC's shoulders. It is a fact that HC's at times overrule decisions by OC's and DC's. The identity, experience, and records of head coaches are of primary importance to OC and DC candidates and to recruits in selecting schools. I am already losing sleep over the possibility that Trooper will be named Duke's next HC. If we are going to preserve as well as possible Duke's newly acquired competitiveness, we are going to need an HC whose effectiveness is recognized in the profession. OFC

Last edited:
So per reports we had interviews with Jim Knowles the old cut DC, Manny diaz the fired Miami head coach who now is Penn State DC and the guy that is the DC at NC state. The first two, to me, are no go's. They have the head coach experience that some seem to want but both are losers as head coaches. I kinda like the State DC because it steals from a rival. Remember that is just the first day so let's hope for more and better

Surf, my impression is that Knowles and Diaz are highly respected in the college football community and at least with Knowles he's not likely to bolt after a couple of good years. There is a risk with up and coming guys that we get "Elko'ed" but maybe we have to take that risk.

I like the guy from JMU but I wonder if he'd leave there for perhaps a tougher job even though his salary would double and it would get him in a Power 5 conference (for now at least).

I like Johns and hope he gets consideration at least if he wants the job.

Surf, my impression is that Knowles and Diaz are highly respected in the college football community and at least with Knowles he's not likely to bolt after a couple of good years. There is a risk with up and coming guys that we get "Elko'ed" but maybe we have to take that risk.

I like the guy from JMU but I wonder if he'd leave there for perhaps a tougher job even though his salary would double and it would get him in a Power 5 conference (for now at least).

I like Johns and hope he gets consideration at least if he wants the job.
I don't know we want a coach like Knowles with age being a factor.

Manny Diaz? I will say about Miami what I said above about TAMU and Arkansas. Your fans think you are top 10 in the country. You are barely top 10 on your conference. Diaz didn't get a fair shake with COVID and the like. I am not saying he is the answer, but I wouldn't be quick to write him off. Plus a coach like Diaz might show more appreciation and not want whore himself out after a little success.

I am wary of a young up-and-comer like JMU or Liberty's coach.

And if they have Jimbo Fisher's agent, DOA.

Last edited:
Knowles has a horrible head coaching record. Diaz out of these 2 for me. FYI the JMU coach is 62 so if he were to come to duke I think it would be a till retirement job

Knowles has a horrible head coaching record. Diaz out of these 2 for me. FYI the JMU coach is 62 so if he were to come to duke I think it would be a till retirement job
I do not see why the JMU guy would want the job then considering the Sun Belt is the best Power 4 conference.

Having said that, I am on board if he shows fire, enthusiasm, and he drops something to the extent "this would be where I want to finish my career"

Well once again there are a bunch of names being thrown out. The JMU coach has a 119-35 overall head coaching record at various schools. Also been named coach of the year in 4 different football conferences. But there are many more guys they will talk to. A decision will have to be made do you hire a young (40ish) coach who will move on in 3-5 years or do you go for an older coach who might look at this as a final job that you get 8-10 years out of.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed. However, I'm guessing Nina wasn't thrilled with him if she didn't make an offer. Obviously she knows that time is of the essence.

I'm disappointed. However, I'm guessing Nina wasn't thrilled with him if she didn't make an offer. Obviously she knows that time is of the essence.
I would say Duke is a better job than Indiana but now that divisions are out in the Big 10, I do not know and Indiana doesn't necessarily have three guaranteed losses in Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan (on a side note, the football marketing person for the big 10 deserves a raise. Who else could take a sh!t conference that has just Ohio State, Michigan, a few steps below Penn State, and everyone else hot garbage and make it have the perception as one of the best conferences. For comparison sake, Northwestern was a 52 yard field goal made by Iowa away from making the Big 10 Championship game).

OFC
That’s a big no for me. Haven’t heard his name since he was chased out of Greenville.

Reactions: surfdevil
Hart, I have to respectfully disagree with you on Trooper. I do not think he has the gravitas and exposure to attract quality assistants. At Duke he has coached only one segment of the entire program and has virtually little to no experience with the others. There is nothing to indicate that he has the organizational skills to serve as HC. As I said before, he has never been an OC or DC at Duke. If I were a quality Coordinator or assistant or recruit I would be very hesitant to trust my future to serving under an HC who has such a narrow area of expertise and no management experience. Trooper is well liked by the players and may be a decent recruiter, but those qualities alone do not make him an ideal HC candidate. Even Scottie can present a better resume than Trooper. I strongly believe that hiring Trooper would be a huge mistake. OFC
Respectfully disagree on Scottie as a better candidate DI than Trooper. No way I would have any faith in him as kid or parent after train wreck at ECU.

OFC

This is a tough situation for Nina. She doesn't want to hurry and I'm sure some coaches with ethics (that excludes some coaches we know) will want to wait until their season is over including a conference championship game. On the other hand, with the portal opening, she's got to act quickly because "don't worry, we'll hire a good coach" only buys you so much time.

Next week sounds about right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT