ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Mausi will be a 5th year grad student. I don't blame guys for wanting to go somewhere else for their 5th year. I don't want to see Morris or Freeman go; I felt they were our best tacklers at the linebacker spot.

Can guys in the portal come back to their original team/school?

Mausi will be a 5th year grad student. I don't blame guys for wanting to go somewhere else for their 5th year. I don't want to see Morris or Freeman go; I felt they were our best tacklers at the linebacker spot.

Can guys in the portal come back to their original team/school?
Yes, can return. Entering the portal (theoretically) just means other schools can contact you.

(and correct on the first part, too.)

Reactions: surfdevil
Bob Chesney should be contacted and interviewed by Duke immediately before he takes the JMU job. Chesney's won everywhere he's been including his first hc job at salve regina which had 8 straight losing seasons before he got there and won all 3 of his years there finishing 3rd, 1st, 1st in conference. Won all 5 years at Assumption finishing 4th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st. Second in Patriot league his first year at Holy cross, then 1st for the last 5 seasons. Chesney can keep all Duke assistants, should be cheap if he's a possibility for jmu.

Trooper Taylor shouldnt be interim hc over kevin johns who's been an oc for the last 10 years and co-OC for 3 years before that. Read Riley Leonard is close to Johns and went to church with his family every week, maybe promoting Johns to interim hc would have kept Riley at Duke instead of opening the floodgates for other transfers. Trooper is 53 and never even been a coordinator much less a HC, no way.

Sherrone Moore is busy the next 6 weeks and is future Michigan coach probably next month so he and Duke would have to be idiots to speak to each other.

Jeff Monken is an option coach with a losing record at army, 5-6 as an independent, so he cant even schedule well.

Alex Atkins doesnt call plays, norvell does, so he's not even a real playcalling oc, no HC experience, never been at a school like Duke, no.

Tony Gibson is a mediocre dc at ncsu, even his ncsu bio only talks about one of his 3 previous seasons there without even mentioning his other 2 years, no way, why was he even interviewed?

Jason Garrett's been away from coaching too long.

Jim Knowles reportedly doesnt want to be a HC at this point in his career so seems burnt out at 58, he refuses to recruit unlike every other coach at OSU. His HC record was abysmal at Cornell getting worse every season until last in Ivy and fired from alma mater no hc offers since. He said Duke produces lawyers and doctors not nfl players.

Scottie Montgomery never had more than 3 wins in his 3 years as hc at ECU.

Jason Candle's been good at one school after inheriting a great situation from matt campbell, Bob Chesney's been great at turning around 3.

Manny Diaz has ncaa's #1 defense at Penn St, and hc experience at Miami, so if he wants to keep Duke's current assistants and can be great at selling Duke to nil donors, assistants, recruits, transfers, admins, bowls, conferences, etc., he may be the best choice among reported candidates.

Last edited:
I like Johns as a coach. I thought I read last year that several schools had reached out to take him after the season. It would give us continuity and a combination of Santucci and Johns that worked well until injuries started taking a toll this year.

I realize that being a HC is like being the CEO so there's no way of knowing if Johns has those talents but we didn't know if Elko had them either.

I haven't heard about Chesney interviewing with Duke.

Jamey Chadwell has turned around and won huge at 4 different schools at age 46, has nation's #1 rushing offense while passing for almost as many yards, and has liberty 13-0 and in a new years 6 bowl. He's very available and Duke should hire him if they're serious about being in a 100 million/yr league instead of a zero dollar league in the near future.

Jimbo Fisher won a national title and brought in nation's best recruiting class, made tons of money as HC of FSU and TXAM for the last 14 years, and has 80 million coming to him in the future. He expressed interest in coaching west virginia, and as a 58yo who's lived in tallahassee and college station tx i dont think he has any reason to care about money at this point. I think he wants to stick it to TXAM and FSU by winning big to repair his reputation, what better place than duke?

Bill O'brien was national coach of the year as HC at Penn State and was HC of NFL's Texans for 7 seasons with a winning record. Was chosen OC/QB coach by GOAT Saban and GOAT Belichick twice, where he worked with GOAT Brady and turned Bryce Young into Heisman winner and #1 overall draftee. Brown grad, worked at Duke, GA Tech, Maryland. I think he's the highest paid coordinator [like elko was] in football, maybe 3.5m/yr?? but Duke's unmatched job security would be a nobrainer in his situation. 54yo, can keep all Duke assistants, wouldn't have to do much other than whip out his resume to recruit the best assistants, players, transfers, nil donors, etc.

Last edited:
There seems to be very little discussion of pros and cons of coaches, everyone just seems to trust "queen ninja" nina king. Why? Her first choice Tony Elliott had no HC experience was terrible his one year calling plays at Clemson and has been a disaster for UVA, 3 wins a year after inheriting nation's #1 passing offense and QB. 2nd choice Marcus Freeman had no hc experience, has 8 losses so far in 2 years at Notre Dame, tripling the losses per season in the 4 years before he was hc. The Trooper promotion is inappropriate and may cost us Johns, Santucci, other assistants, and players to transfer, they see what's happening.

Nina's unqualified pick Kara Lawson's win percentage at duke only 68%, 56.8% in acc, compared to mccallie's 75.5/72.8 and goestenkors' 80/76.5. Wanted to hire proven loser Amaker over Scheyer. Refuses to do anything about horrendous coaches in WLAX even though james madison's coach won national title in 2018 and Denver is 22-1 beating unc which duke hasnt done in forever, Loyola, Stony Brook also great.

Adding Stanford, Cal, SMU, horrible for ACC and especially Duke which isn't even academic leader in ACC now. Why not just join the "magnificent 7" for a majority 8 votes to disband the acc under nc law and double revenue immediately in a new 8 school league before joining 100m/yr leagues? She'd rather be in the loser 7 to lose money and coaches? And what happened to that extra 120m/yr from adding 3 bad programs, we couldn't use any of that to keep a winning football coach of the year?

Football attendance has been terrible even when great, why only 31000 for local superpower clemson, why are cheapest tickets $35 even for lafayette, etc., when they'd make more charging less and filling stadium and selling parking concessions and keeping Elko, etc.? Why no nccu if they sell out wade? Losing Elko wasnt inevitable, he's only guaranteed 31.5m over 6 years, if she can't even get that from admin or donors Duke has no chance of being power 2. Does Scheyer really make $9.7m/yr despite zero competition for him ever, while we wont even pay Elko a decent wage?

Playing the Birmingham bowl against Troy in their backyard as 7 point underdogs? Read at least 2 acc teams passed Duke in the bowl pecking order. Is Birmingham really the 12th best out of 13 acc bowl possibilities?

Last edited:

above operated by duke players with money to current players. Was "durham devils" football nil started by elko or affiliated with him somehow? How many nil collectives are there for Duke football, basketball, other sports, and which ones will pay for transfer or hs recruits to come to duke, or pay transfers to stay?

Last edited:
Duke's highest rated qb was henry belin this season, 9 yards per pass attempt, 3.5 yards per rush but ran for 73 yards on 7 carries in blue white and ran well in hs, essential that he stays next 3 seasons. Grayson loftis cant run, only 1 yard per rush and 6 yards per pass and had to be replaced by jordan moore many times as wildcat qb. Incoming QB recruit Tyler Cherry had negative rushing yardage every year in HS and makes loftis look like lamar jackson.

Henry's little brother Rich Belin needs an offer right now, he averaged 12.5 yards per pass [3112 yds, 30td, 4int] and 9.4 yards per rush [1351 yds, 19td] winning state title for first in school history as junior at same HS where Henry averaged 8.85 yards per pass [2577yds, 18td, 7int] and 6.7 yards per rush [537yds, 11td] as senior. Another brother or cousin Blake Belin is a star junior DT at same hs with duke offer.

Reactions: surfdevil
Unless I missed something, no new portal entries yesterday (maybe some officially entered who'd announced intentions to do so, but no surprises).

I think they're narrowing down candidates. I've got some confirmed info on the premium thread (one of them discussed on the podcast, too).

I hear Manny Diaz may be out of consideration.

OFC
Manny not out of the coaching hunt yet. Hearing it's one of four including Diaz, Knowles, Jason Candle from Toledo and our bowl opponent(Jon Sumrall @ Troy). Who really knows for sure?

Jaquez Moore to the portal. Ouch!!!

OFC

Now Waters to the portal also.

Nina better get an exception to the transfer credits rule so we can bring in some undergrads. We're going to need some restocking. I still think we are OK for a bowl if there are any other defections.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Nina better get an exception to the transfer credits rule so we can bring in some undergrads.
For sure Lift. We had some success under "Elmo" securing Ivy Leaguers in the portal, but the caliber of athletes we are losing exceeds that level. Oh btw, thanks "Elmo" for the disruption and turmoil you have caused.

OFC

Sleepy Sesame Street GIF by Muppet Wiki

If Trooper Taylor becomes permanent HC, Nina King should be fired immediately and fans should boycott all Duke games and donations, 53yo's done nothing except get undeserved promotions because Nina doesn't care about winning or merit or paying dues or how her decisions affect other coaches or players or fans.

Jon Sumrall is 41yo Troy HC and has 23-24 wins last 2 seasons, if Duke hires him he might be gone in a year, better make him pay a huge buyout if he leaves Duke, 2 yrs of HC experience not enough.

Jason Candle being good at one school inheriting a great program hasn't proven anything.

Manny Diaz was a mediocre at best HC and recruiter at Miami, he may be a great DC and bad HC like Ohio State DC Jim Knowles and Oklahoma DC Ted Roof.

Bob Chesney is a bigtime proven winner who's turned around and won at all 3 schools he's been HC, he's like a cheap Jamie Chadwell who's been even better turning around and winning huge at 4 schools.

No way a blueblood hires Jimbo Fisher after his last losing season at FSU and fired by TXAM, Duke is as good as he's going to get at age 58 if he wants a big HC salary and chance to win and prove everyone wrong, or he can disappear or work in TV at 1% of his usual salary.

Bill O'Brien has a great history as HC and OC and is vouched for by GOATs Brady, Belichick, Saban, millions of times more than Deion Sanders, and at age 54, he can retire at Duke with an extra $50 million plus instead of getting fired as scapegoat next month from tanking Patriots.

Kevin Johns is the only internal candidate that makes sense but would disappoint many confirming Duke's smalltime aspirations and refusal to spend half as much as on a hoops coach.

New HC can keep all Duke assistants and hire quality OL and CB coaches from Clemson, TXAM, etc.

Last edited:
The Penn State boards are livid. They are saying the head coach at Duke is a huge step down from being their DC.
Gotta say when Elmo left aTm some of the fans were relieved because they had the same frustration that we did with the defensive calls he did sometimes.

Guys, should we be happy? I really wanted Johns for continuity but he has no experience.

Hate to ask this, but does Diaz qualify as a minority hiring?

Guys, should we be happy? I really wanted Johns for continuity but he has no experience.

Hate to ask this, but does Diaz qualify as a minority hiring?
Maybe he can keep John’s at least I hope. Gotta get the staff together and keep the recruits on board. He’s got a few crazy days ahead

The Penn State boards are livid. They are saying the head coach at Duke is a huge step down from being their DC.
Gotta say when Elmo left aTm some of the fans were relieved because they had the same frustration that we did with the defensive calls he did sometimes.
First of all, let's go back to what I have been saying all along. I do not know where everyone in the Big Whatever gets a high and mighty full of themselves, but It was OSU and Michigan tier 1, Penn State tier 3, Iowa tier 4 (except it's offense is offensive) and everyone else is putrid. When is the last time Penn State beat anyone of note? They are the red-headed step child of the Big 10. There only won of note was a home win of note was a home win against the most inept offensive team in the country (Iowa) who lost to a bad Minnesota team and was hitting a 52 yard fg away from losing the west to a team Duke slapped. Top to bottom, the ACC was a better conference than the big 10 and it was not close. In all actuality, we really are not for sure how good UM and OSU are because OSU needed a last second TD to beat ND and other than that, they played each other

Plus, Franklin's seat has to be a little warm. Let's see, hold on to a job you can be fired at in a year or go to a school showing they are willing to give you the resources and 7-5 gets you nowhere near the hot seat?

After what happened at Miami, he may be more willing to stick around for awhile. Do not settle for mediocrity, but stabilization is key for this program right now. The right move would be to go after hard to keep the OC and DC.

So I took a quick look at the Penn State roster to see if there were any players from the NC area that might want to follow Manny. Unbelievable! they have 5 QBs listed, 9 RBs, 7 TEs, and 22 OLs! I mean they have 11 safeties listed!

Some of those guys have got to want more PT at a prestigious, beautiful school that has the same chance of reaching the playoffs as does Penn State (minimal)!

Really? The same fans that were saying they regretted when he left? He had to be one of the highest paid assistants in the land at $2.1 million as their DC. Not saying you’re wrong, I just never heard that.

I have gone back on the 247 ATM boards this last week and yes a lot of their fans were happy he left. He did not just learn the 3 man rush here. The bend but don't break defense. Struggling to get off the field some games on third down. I liked Elmo but he did some things that just were meh. No coach has all the fan base behind them 100 percent. He did have fans that loved him at aTm but also fans that were frustrated with him. It is kind of like Diaz. I go to all the boards and while lots of fans like the hire (if it becomes official) there are lots of fans who are disappointed with it and are saying he was a bad head coach. Fyi his 3 year record at Miami was 21-15 so not great but not bad either. This is the joy of being a coach. Everyone has an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT