ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

He proves again that you can win at Duke but to be brutally honest, the overall fan base just sucks. Coaches want money, wins, and eyeballs. Not enough eyeballs with hardcore Duke fans and that's the football fan base.

Reactions: surfdevil
That’s becuase the football has sucked …forever. You gotta build that ! Not jump ship after 1 good year, and a tragedy at QB the next, which caused fans to throw in the towel . I see it from both sides though….IMO it’s a mistake. Short sighted. The Football can be just like the basketball if you build it . Much more upside than TA&M. How about that “spotlight”

I’ll put it to you like this . I’ve never even checked the score of a Duke football game before this year . I tuned into every game this year……untill the QB got hurt. What a fan I am 🤣 But yo I was gaining Interest!….welp it’s the end of the football as we know it 🎵 ….Again🥲

He proves again that you can win at Duke but to be brutally honest, the overall fan base just sucks. Coaches want money, wins, and eyeballs. Not enough eyeballs with hardcore Duke fans and that's the football fan base.
Smash, I think that with sustained success, the stadium will begin to fill up. I live in Connecticut, and I attend 1 game/year. But a I’d buy season tickets, probably attend 2-3 games/year and give away the other games, just to support them. I think a lot of Duke alums would feel the same way.. And once it becomes cool to be at the game, the student body - admittedly small compared to state schools - will begin to show up like they did for Clemson and ND this year. Call me delusional, but I think our upside is huge.

Reactions: IFaZe
what is really going to hurt is the transfers out and what this will do to our recruiting class. chandler rivers has already tweeted a ''bring him home'' for elko to anm. i am afraid a bunch of our texas recruits will want to go home.
Yep, Riley prolly gone along with a ton of transfers and decommits. Disaster

Chip Kelly might be out of a job soon after last night's disastrous performance at the Rose Bowl.

1/Big, big, big time $$$.

2/Lack of fan support at home.

3/Possibly sickened too by the politics of the ACC officiating. (UNC will always get the calls). Two years in row.

I do feel like we were used to an extent. Obviously Coach Elko is a bright man, and he played us perfectly. At presser three weeks ago: "I am committed to Duke. " Right. I am just glad we have a marvelous AD in Dr.Nina King. She will make the right move.

OFC

a poster on another board has stated that elko went to nina and they went to the big heads and asked for more nil money and to get the facility upgrades started and were told no. thinking that if this true then this was/is a huge reason he is leaving. you want an even playing field and duke is already a bit behind the eight ball due to academics. i just struggle with the fact that with all the big money guys we have available we cant compete in the nil market and be competitive. just a black eye for duke in my mind.

Last edited:
Good luck with Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC as well.
a poster on another board has stated that elko went to nina and they went to the big heads and asked for more nil money and to get the facility upgrades started and were told no. thinking that if this true then this was/is a huge reason he is leaving. you want an even playing field and duke is already a bit behind the eight ball due to academics. i just struggle with the fact that with all the big money guys we have available we cant compete in the nil market and be competitive. just a black eye for duke in my mind.
I don’t know how much more upgrading they can do to the facilities. Did they not put over $80 million into upgrades during Cutcliffe’s tenure?

Reactions: hart2chesson
This post is going to rub a few people the wrong way, but if the above is true, do not let the door hit you on the way out. Let us take a wealthy Duke alum who only follows the football team casually. We have bent over backwards to help someone who has never been a head coach and given him about all he wants. But I see a team that started out 4-0, inexplicably lost on a fourth and 16 play, lost by 18 to FSU, lost to our rivals, got drilled by Louisville, and have a bad loss to UVA. Regardless of what more to the story there is, i would be hesistant as a wealthy alum.

We may have very wealthy alums, but at the end of the day, we are a small private school with an alumni base that cannot compete monetarily with these big public schools. By and large, Duke is ina state and the majority of their alumni come from states where football is just a sport. In Texas, Louisiana, Ohio, etc... football is a religion. If your power 5 team says you need money for your football team, it is your spiritual duty to pony up. Can you fault the higher ups to not just throw money at this program willy nillie? Duke seemingly has done everything Elko has asked and if he keeps asking for everything, why would you want to overly commit to an individual that has wanting to get the hell out of Durham unless he gets big concessions written all over him?

Duke has gone above and beyond for Elko. I thought people would learn from the Jimbo Fisher fiasco you cannot just throw money at a program and magically everything will be ok.

If Elko officially does take the job, count me in the camp of i dont want him here for the bowl game. Hell, with how dinged up we are, why the hell would anyone who had an injury want to play? I would put it at 10% at best Riley is here next year. Lets just hope we can hold out to some recruits or Loftis.

Even with pur putrid non-conference and weak conference schedule, we will be lucky if we are sniffing any potential bowl game in November 2024...

R
This post is going to rub a few people the wrong way, but if the above is true, do not let the door hit you on the way out. Let us take a wealthy Duke alum who only follows the football team casually. We have bent over backwards to help someone who has never been a head coach and given him about all he wants. But I see a team that started out 4-0, inexplicably lost on a fourth and 16 play, lost by 18 to FSU, lost to our rivals, got drilled by Louisville, and have a bad loss to UVA. Regardless of what more to the story there is, i would be hesistant as a wealthy alum.

We may have very wealthy alums, but at the end of the day, we are a small private school with an alumni base that cannot compete monetarily with these big public schools. By and large, Duke is ina state and the majority of their alumni come from states where football is just a sport. In Texas, Louisiana, Ohio, etc... football is a religion. If your power 5 team says you need money for your football team, it is your spiritual duty to pony up. Can you fault the higher ups to not just throw money at this program willy nillie? Duke seemingly has done everything Elko has asked and if he keeps asking for everything, why would you want to overly commit to an individual that has wanting to get the hell out of Durham unless he gets big concessions written all over him?

Duke has gone above and beyond for Elko. I thought people would learn from the Jimbo Fisher fiasco you cannot just throw money at a program and magically everything will be ok.

If Elko officially does take the job, count me in the camp of i dont want him here for the bowl game. Hell, with how dinged up we are, why the hell would anyone who had an injury want to play? I would put it at 10% at best Riley is here next year. Lets just hope we can hold out to some recruits or Loftis.

Even with pur putrid non-conference and weak conference schedule, we will be lucky if we are sniffing any potential bowl game in November 2024...
Well we know we are losing 39 seniors. How many others will transfer out? How many recruits will be granted their release to go elsewhere. These next couple years will be rough. It’s almost sickening to think about.

At this point you gotta hire someone to save the recruiting class. There’s tons of seniors on this team so there was already going to be a mass exodus. Could be a rough few years not that we haven’t lived it already. Hey Surf, I thought the locker rooms were being upgraded this off-season unless I’m mistaken

Someone convince me that this is a better job opening other than a school like New Mexico. In the coaching carousel listing of Duke, they have an ESPN+ article linked that says something about James Madison's football coach. How in the world would going from James Madison to Duke be, at best, a lateral move (and a step done more likely)?

Only news that is going to change my mind about the guy is if he actually did not reaffirm his commitment to Duke after Saturdays game. Until I see that was never the case he’s just another liar blowing smoke up people’s asses. And it’s a shame because he’s a good coach. But sometimes your word is all you have.

Reactions: Devilinside
I ain’t gonna hate on the guy. At the end of the day, i mean if someone said they’d double my pay I wouldn’t think twice about it. Cash in, get fired within 4 years.👍

Reactions: Another#1Dukie
I ain’t gonna hate on the guy. At the end of the day, i mean if someone said they’d double my pay I wouldn’t think twice about it. Cash in, get fired within 4 years.👍
If he was keeping his options open he should have went about it a better way. Then I would have no problem with him leaving for a better opportunity. I think most fans expected him to leave if offered the job.

Reactions: IFaZe
Elko really used Duke. He had a master plan in place all along authored by Jimmy Sexton. Sexton never stopped working the A&M deal, even after Elko gave Duke his word he was staying Saturday.

Sexton is the agent for all the big coaching names in CFB, including Nick Saban. This from Kendall Baker, Yahoo Sports:

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
A few thoughts:

--Our basketball and football programs could not be more different. Friday night the mostly 4 and 5 star basketball team sleep walked through a win over an over matched low D I team in front of a fairly loud crowd made up of alums and fans who traveled hundreds of miles for a chance to see their team. Saturday the mostly 3 star football team gutted their way to a win over a major D I team in front of - nobody. I bet that's when Elko decided for sure he was done at this school.

--The next coach will be either a hire from in house (Trooper Taylor or Kevin Johns) or a minority hire outside the system. I think the administration really wanted to make a minority hire last time but were caught short when Elliot (thankfully) took the UVA job. I hope there's a good one out there somewhere.

I'm very sad today and sad that Duke may not be able to field a Bowl team. I love Duke football and will continue to love it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT