ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Great defense! Aggressive DB’s and vicious hitting. This is not the defense we got used to seeing every week. USC couldn’t stop ND, but we did, regardless of that game’s outcome.
Pelino seems to have figured it out! Career long FG!
Both great posts @jeffrey236 as the defense was the story of the game. Also, Pelino's boomer had to inject confidence.

I must continue celebrating this today, both with silence from my Wuffie friends and wearing head to toe Duke gear to the grocery store!!!

I will start worrying about 'NoleNation tomorrow. However I am anxious to see the spread.

Back to last nite: Who'd thought watching Duke defense in the modern era, we would have not only denied State a TD, but the RED ZONE as well???!!!! This Duke defense loves to bring its lunch pail and get after it!!!

As for Henry Belin, this game proves NUMBERS DO LIE: 4/12 passing should have an asterisk:
4/12* (there it is!)

*Several dropped balls, and two "Right on the MONEY" TD passes!!!!

One happy Duke Old Fart here.

OFC

We needed Belin to be a Trent Dilfer, not a Tom Brady. And that is what we got. I listened to section 17 podcast preview to this game. They had a former Wuffie player and he was very complimentary of Duke but was convinced NCST wins the game if Riley does not play. Duke is not just Riley. But the way this team is, I like our chances against everyone but the Noles and Cheats.

Plus, does this possibly open up another possible wrinkle? Not likely, but you could line up Riley at QB with Belin in the slot. Belin drops at the snap, Riley gets it to him, and he bombs away. Or switch Belin and Riley in that situation and add the possible pass/Riley run...

Both great posts @jeffrey236 as the defense was the story of the game. Also, Pelino's boomer had to inject confidence.

I must continue celebrating this today, both with silence from my Wuffie friends and wearing head to toe Duke gear to the grocery store!!!

I will start worrying about 'NoleNation tomorrow. However I am anxious to see the spread.

Back to last nite: Who'd thought watching Duke defense in the modern era, we would have not only denied State a TD, but the RED ZONE as well???!!!! This Duke defense loves to bring its lunch pail and get after it!!!

As for Henry Belin, this game proves NUMBERS DO LIE: 4/12 passing should have an asterisk:
4/12* (there it is!)

OFC
Not worried about the Semiholes. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Btw, I love everyone thinks Duke FB is just Riley and Duke FB is gonna Duke FB. Keep thinking that while we win these next two games.

And the more I here about Elko, the more I am convinced there is virtually nothing that is going to pry him away from us. The podcasts I and listen to all states not only him and his immediate family love Duke and the area, but his EXTENDED FAMILY loves Duke and the area. He has two kinds in HS and one playing baseball at Richmond, Duke alums and our AD will bend over backwards, and he can make this program HIS. Any bigger school it will be the program Woody Hayes built, Bear Bryant built, Bobby Bowden built, etc... He goes 7-5 or 6-6 next year, he is not on the hot seat nor is there a push to make wholesale changes. He has that instantly pretty much any SEC school.

Last but not least, and I said it earlier, he can FEAST on Grad transfers. Most grad transfers know the probably will not play on Sunday, but come to Duke for 1-2 seasons, plug holes, and get a good graduate degree and a great network of alums (all the while possibly getting good NIL money), sign them up.

Name the schools who football programs look like in great position but also have the academics?

4/12* (there it is!)

OFC
Not to be that guy, but State JUST got in the red zone at the Duke 20 on that last drive... :) it is all good. Duke allowing points only 50% of the time when a team reaches the red zone this season (7-14).

It really is amazing to see our defense this year and last after the years before. A world of difference. If we had a qb injury under the previous regime i knew we were screwed. This one not so much. Qb is important don't get me wrong but there are still 22-33 other significant positions on a team

According to ESPN, Duke +14 and o/u 49. Vegas opening line is Duke is gonna Duke...
Quite honestly, I am somewhat surprised. I thought we would receive a little more respect from Vegas.

Nonetheless, I see it as a GREAT motivational tool for Coach Elko and the Blue Devils. Duke is not headed to Tallahassee for any moral victory. They are on this BUSINESS TRIP expecting to WIN!! OFC

so two things of interest
Tylery Cherry finished his regular season 8-1
145/194 for a 74.7% completion rate
2115 yds
22 td's
2 int

on ESPN+
they have a ''draft buzz'' article
R J Oben 6'4'' 260lb DE from Duke
scouts are saying that the 5th or 6th round could be a landing spot for him but don't be surprised if he is picked earlier on day 3.
wow this is good to read

so two things of interest
Tylery Cherry finished his regular season 8-1
145/194 for a 74.7% completion rate
2115 yds
22 td's
2 int

on ESPN+
they have a ''draft buzz'' article
R J Oben 6'4'' 260lb DE from Duke
scouts are saying that the 5th or 6th round could be a landing spot for him but don't be surprised if he is picked earlier on day 3.
wow this is good to read
Oh how times have changed for "The Boys From Durham," and I LOVE IT!!!

OFC

Quite honestly, I am somewhat surprised. I thought we would receive a little more respect from Vegas.

Nonetheless, I see it as a GREAT motivational tool for Coach Elko and the Blue Devils. Duke is not headed to Tallahassee for any moral victory. They are on this BUSINESS TRIP expecting to WIN!! OFC
Vegas may not respect us, but I have a feeling that FSU will when the game is over!!!

OFC

. If we had a qb injury under the previous regime i knew we were screwed.
That's not entirely fair to Cutcliffe. Anthony Boone went out early in the 2013 season with a broken collarbone and Brandon Connette stepped in and Duke wasn't screwed. Thomas Sirk went down with an Achilles injury prior to the 2016 season and was replaced by Daniel Jones, who certainly wasn't responsible for the defensive lapses that doomed that season. Jones suffered a collarbone injury in the Northwestern game in 2018 and Quentin Harris held down the fort until Jones returned. Duke wasn't screwed.

Now, if we want to talk about Chase Brice replacing injured Gunnar Holmberg, well I'm not sure either was the answer.

so we just got another 24 commit
ryan daly
6'1'' 285lb dt from venice fla
been reading about this kid for a year. kept visiting duke. only has low level offers but has the body size to develop. evidently usf and ole miss had also been reaching out. guess we need to trust the staff on this one
He tweeted a PWO offer over the summer and during a visit; can confirm his commit is as a scholarship player, to clear that up.

I definitely trust the staff and we need more big boys. I bet I'm not the only one who looked at the depth chart and noticed how many seniors and grad students were playing. Coach E is going to have to reload.

That's not entirely fair to Cutcliffe. Anthony Boone went out early in the 2013 season with a broken collarbone and Brandon Connette stepped in and Duke wasn't screwed. Thomas Sirk went down with an Achilles injury prior to the 2016 season and was replaced by Daniel Jones, who certainly wasn't responsible for the defensive lapses that doomed that season. Jones suffered a collarbone injury in the Northwestern game in 2018 and Quentin Harris held down the fort until Jones returned. Duke wasn't screwed.

Now, if we want to talk about Chase Brice replacing injured Gunnar Holmberg, well I'm not sure either was the answer.
Point taken. We had quite a bit of continuity at the position early on. The last few years got me. However my main point was we had to outscore teams under Cutcliffe and if our offense suffered then our D had no chance outside a couple of years

Last edited:
Point taken. We had quite a but of continuity at the position early on. The last few years got me
BlackKnight this is my point, the "last few years." As for earlier, agreed- Connette stepped in beautifully I thought for Boone, and showed he was not just a runner.

Jones was erratic in '16, but also young. He had a terrific performance in our big natl TV win AT NOTRE DAME, but it was sandwiched between poor games at Northwestern and a miserable 5 int day at home to UVA.Nonetheless, DJ began his 3-0 unbeaten streak vs UNC in '16.

In retrospect, Cut should have probably rode off into the sunset w/Jones following '18.

OFC

Speaking of early qbs, Thaddeus Lewis will go down as the most underrated qb at Duke ever. Mostly because he was a great player on a terrible team. He lasted in the NFL quite a while and when he got starting chances he was pretty capable to me.

Speaking of early qbs, Thaddeus Lewis will go down as the most underrated qb at Duke ever. Mostly because he was a great player on a terrible team. He lasted in the NFL quite a while and when he got starting chances he was pretty capable to me.
Thad's performance at NC State outdueling Russell Wilson was a performance for the ages. A great day for Duke fans, and Thad was "underrated." Probably ran the qb draw as well as any Duke qb ever. OFC

I definitely trust the staff and we need more big boys. I bet I'm not the only one who looked at the depth chart and noticed how many seniors and grad students were playing. Coach E is going to have to reload.
I see why you'd say that but I think they'll be fine with what they've got, as long as there aren't too many unexpected departures.

Duke is losing DeWayne Carter, Ja'Mion Franklin, R.J. Oben and Anthony Nelson; Duke stands to bring back Aeneas Peebles, Wesley Williams, Aaron Hall, Vincent Anthony Jr. and Ryan Smith from its D-line rotation. There's an analytics argument to be made that Peebles has been Duke's second-best D-lineman this year, and the staff loves the versatility of Williams and Hall (they line up at nose tackle, DT and sometimes DE).

That's not to mention anticipated developmental jumps from Semaj Turner, Desmond Aladuge, David Anderson and Terry Simmons Jr.

I see why you'd say that but I think they'll be fine with what they've got, as long as there aren't too many unexpected departures.

Duke is losing DeWayne Carter, Ja'Mion Franklin, R.J. Oben and Anthony Nelson; Duke stands to bring back Aeneas Peebles, Wesley Williams, Aaron Hall, Vincent Anthony Jr. and Ryan Smith from its D-line rotation. There's an analytics argument to be made that Peebles has been Duke's second-best D-lineman this year, and the staff loves the versatility of Williams and Hall (they line up at nose tackle, DT and sometimes DE).

That's not to mention anticipated developmental jumps from Semaj Turner, Desmond Aladuge, David Anderson and Terry Simmons Jr.

I was also looking at the offensive line. I suspect Coach E will continue to restock through the grad student transfer portal on the offensive line.

I was also looking at the offensive line. I suspect Coach E will continue to restock through the grad student transfer portal on the offensive line.
Ahhhhh, well that's a whole 'nother story!

Going to be really interesting. The business school is so appealing for grad transfers and with the successes of Jack Burns and Scott Elliott, I'd pencil in at least one Ivy Leaguer to be named later contributing.

Justin Pickett will probably be the only returning player among the top 6. Brian Parker II probably locks down one of the tackle spots. Then it becomes a matter of who steps up from in-house and who you get in transfer market. Matt Craycraft would be a solid option as an interior starter.

Ahhhhh, well that's a whole 'nother story!

Going to be really interesting. The business school is so appealing for grad transfers and with the successes of Jack Burns and Scott Elliott, I'd pencil in at least one Ivy Leaguer to be named later contributing.

Justin Pickett will probably be the only returning player among the top 6. Brian Parker II probably locks down one of the tackle spots. Then it becomes a matter of who steps up from in-house and who you get in transfer market. Matt Craycraft would be a solid option as an interior starter.
Elko and his staff have been pretty successful at bringing in OL transfers who could play at this level; Harris, Lytle, and Burns last season, Hornibrook and Elliott this season, Even if Craycraft steps up Duke will need at leas three, maybe four OL from the portal for next season. But their track record should inspire confidence.

Back awhile ago, I stated a big plus for Elko staying in Durham, among other things, was the fact we are in the position to FEAST off grad transfers. Our academic pedigree plus the great reputation from 2022 and this year. Grad transfers give us the opportunity to continually pick up solid players who bring experience and are either smart to realize the NFL is not in the cards for their future or want to shore up a fall back in education and alumni connections as a fallback plan to a possible athletic career...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT