ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

It was amazing that Leonard came to Duke after not being recruited heavily and may end up being a first or second round pick when he leaves. Have to give Cutcliff some props for getting him to Duke
True. I saw an interview w/Riley yesterday. He said Cutcliffe and him hit it off immediately, and called Cut "one of the nicest men I've ever met." Good point king.

OFC

After watching a little of the BC-FSU game I may just be dreaming, but I believe we actually do have a chance agianst them. We took care of business today as we should and knock on wood, we are still healthy with no major injuries. So as of now, I STILL BELIEVE!!!
GO DUKE!!!

OFC

Ncaa Sports Football GIF by Duke Athletics

Another good workman like win over Northwestern!! Our D continues to hit 'em in the mouth, and I love the 1-2 counterpunching runs of Waters and Jacquez Moore! Then Riley takes off for 10-15 yards. Seems like Calhoun and Jordan Moore had good days catching the ball too.

I really can't say enough about our defense. They're so physical, and have a definite swag about 'em!! We're giving up less than 10 points per game. Connecticut up next week, a "trap game" on the road (1st away game) vs the winless Huskies. It's a business trip, and we need to return home 4-0. We know the challenge which lies ahead the following week, and I expect Wade to be packed!! OFC

Definitely a good win, although we seemed a little vulnerable to the run in the second quarter. As Conor previewed, Cam Porter can be a load. Great to see our 2nd and 3rd deep get some action. Peyton Jones gave us a nice glimpse of what he’s going to be doing when he gets more PT - Coach Elko went out of his way to congratulate him on his first TD.

The only thing that really concerned me was the two unsportsmanlike penalties. You cannot do that.

If ND beats Ohio State, Oregon beats Colorado or Arizona State beats USC, and Duke beats UCONN, might we see college game day in Durham for Duke-ND? I would love to see them in Durham as opposed if both Duke and FSU are undefeated when we go to Tallahassee.

Reactions: Devilinside
I also am not a big fan of the 4th and 1 at the what, northwestern 43, going for it. In two offensive series, you held Northwestern to one first down. I am a big believer in if you cannot get a yard, you do not deserve to win, but I think the possible repercussions of not making it outweigh the benefits. You have a great punter and Duke has all the momentum. Pin Northwestern deep. Thank God when Northwestern made the stop, it didn’t do anything after, but I do not like the possibility of needlessly handing the Wildcats a short field and momentum.

I am glad to see our fg kicker get a chance and nail a decently long field goal. Missing what was just a little more than an extra point last week against Lafayette could have turned into a mental thing if the kicker could not “get back on the horse”relatively soon.

That unsportsmanlike was an early Christmas present for those that had the over.

I am glad our punter got in the game. He seems like he will be a secret weapon in those grind it out games. Seems very good at flipping the field when we need it. But to be among NCAA leaders, you need to play in 75% of games. He holds on kicks, but if that is all someone does, that technically is not a game played. If all you do is hold and the kicks get off as intended (no penalty, fake, blocked kick, etc…), per NCAA stat rules it does not count as a game participation. Added so backup QB holders are not penalized in per game stats because all they did was simply hold on kicks. Had he not punted yesterday, our punter has only played in one of three games this year.

There can not be enough emphasis on that drive to begin the third. We were “only” up 17-7 (but I would argue with what it took to score for Northwestern, it was a UVA basketball thing where a 10 point lead is bigger than it seems), but Duke made sure It had all the momentum by going right down the field.

We have only given up 28 points this year, but one could argue it should be half that (take away a muffed punt and a stupid unsportsmanlike, and there you go). That is scary to think about.

As for Elko rumors, I think we will not see him leave. Duke has alums with deep pockets. We can live off great grad transfers as our academics are top notch, and one 7-5 or 8-4 season won’t put you on the hot seat like at a lot of SEC schools. Like Billy D in basketball was shielded by being at a football school in the early 2000s, any football coach has a bit of cover because we are a basketball school. One could argue that gave Cut 1 or 2 more years than he probably deserved…

so on the ACC huddle show they had a good question today. if (as most think) FSU is the best team in the ACC, then who would be #2? it ended up a 2-2 split between miami and DUKE. no one mentioned unc (till someone pointed this out) or wake. the other team that got some air time in the discussion was Syracuse.

I also am not a big fan of the 4th and 1 at the what, northwestern 43, going for it. In two offensive series, you held Northwestern to one first down. I am a big believer in if you cannot get a yard, you do not deserve to win, but I think the possible repercussions of not making it outweigh the benefits. You have a great punter and Duke has all the momentum. Pin Northwestern deep. Thank God when Northwestern made the stop, it didn’t do anything after, but I do not like the possibility of needlessly handing the Wildcats a short field and momentum.

I am glad to see our fg kicker get a chance and nail a decently long field goal. Missing what was just a little more than an extra point last week against Lafayette could have turned into a mental thing if the kicker could not “get back on the horse”relatively soon.

That unsportsmanlike was an early Christmas present for those that had the over.

I am glad our punter got in the game. He seems like he will be a secret weapon in those grind it out games. Seems very good at flipping the field when we need it. But to be among NCAA leaders, you need to play in 75% of games. He holds on kicks, but if that is all someone does, that technically is not a game played. If all you do is hold and the kicks get off as intended (no penalty, fake, blocked kick, etc…), per NCAA stat rules it does not count as a game participation. Added so backup QB holders are not penalized in per game stats because all they did was simply hold on kicks. Had he not punted yesterday, our punter has only played in one of three games this year.

There can not be enough emphasis on that drive to begin the third. We were “only” up 17-7 (but I would argue with what it took to score for Northwestern, it was a UVA basketball thing where a 10 point lead is bigger than it seems), but Duke made sure It had all the momentum by going right down the field.

We have only given up 28 points this year, but one could argue it should be half that (take away a muffed punt and a stupid unsportsmanlike, and there you go). That is scary to think about.

As for Elko rumors, I think we will not see him leave. Duke has alums with deep pockets. We can live off great grad transfers as our academics are top notch, and one 7-5 or 8-4 season won’t put you on the hot seat like at a lot of SEC schools. Like Billy D in basketball was shielded by being at a football school in the early 2000s, any football coach has a bit of cover because we are a basketball school. One could argue that gave Cut 1 or 2 more years than he probably deserved…
This is a good write up. Well done.

I'm not a Duke grad with deep pockets, but I did give $100 today to Duke football through the Iron Dukes. Hart, it's your turn! ;)

The only thing that really concerned me was the two unsportsmanlike penalties. You cannot do that.

If ND beats Ohio State, Oregon beats Colorado or Arizona State beats USC, and Duke beats UCONN, might we see college game day in Durham for Duke-ND? I would love to see them in Durham as opposed if both Duke and FSU are undefeated when we go to Tallahassee.
Does ESPN do Gameday at places they’re not broadcasting the game? Won’t NBC be doing the game per their deal with Notre Dame?

"also am not a big fan of the 4th and 1 at the what, northwestern 43, going for it. In two offensive series, you held Northwestern to one first down. I am a big believer in if you cannot get a yard, you do not deserve to win, but I think the possible repercussions of not making it outweigh the benefits. You have a great punter and Duke has all the momentum. Pin Northwestern deep. Thank God when Northwestern made the stop, it didn’t do anything after, but I do not like the possibility of needlessly handing the Wildcats a short field and momentum."

@kwyjibos13 I really enjoyed your entire column, I just cherry picked one part for discussion. The decision to go for it didn't bother me as much as the call.

I figured it was slightly more than needed for a goal line formation, and thought we really telegraphed the call. I would have loved to have seen Riley bounce off the PACKED FORMATION, and bounce outside for the first down. OFC

Last edited:
Story from today's presser.

Focusing on Duke's identity and how being a physically imposing team that controls the line of scrimmage will help in the first road game of the season (and in future road trips, too).
As always a nice read Conor. You really took us inside Elko's thought process, and he's as CONFIDENT as I have ever read. I am glad to see it, and I see it permeating amongst the Duke team!

There's a fine line of course between swag and overconfidence. However I think this Duke team is too smart to let its guard down this coming Saturday. Thanks for sharing!! OFC

Elko purported to be one of three Power Five head coaches expected to be considered by Michigan State. Two and Done? Please, no.
OFC

Elko purported to be one of three Power Five head coaches expected to be considered by Michigan State. Two and Done? Please, no.
OFC
Considered by Michigan State? Probably. But Elko is not a smart guy if he even considers it. That is a dumpster fire that will always be a red-headed step child to Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State...

Considered by Michigan State? Probably. But Elko is not a smart guy if he even considers it. That is a dumpster fire that will always be a red-headed step child to Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State...
Agree, can't see it happening. I CAN see him taking the 'Bama job when Saban retires. OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
I hope you are right, but dumpster fires and red headed step children didn't seem to deter him two years ago. Plus (and I'm guessing here) the almighty dollar may have an influence.
OFC

I hope you are right, but dumpster fires and red headed step children didn't seem to deter him two years ago. Plus (and I'm guessing here) the almighty dollar may have an influence.
OFC
Money changes everything, but I will be shocked if Elko takes the MSU job. I think he really wants to build something special here.

Tunnel vision on UConn is the biggest challenge for this Duke team now. Btw, our game can be seen on the CBS SPORTS cable channel Saturday @ 3:30.

OFC

This talk about Elko goes perfectly into a thought I have been thinking for awhile. Let us thank Cutcliffe for where we are. When he took over, we were next to nothing in football. He made Duke respectable. Someone had to do it, and better for an ok to above average coach that we pretty much knew was not going anywhere than a young coach who would taste some success and bolt at first opportunity. Cut laid a foundation.

Come in Elko. I am not going to pretend he did not have a very tough road, but Duke football had a somewhat foundation that was not here when Cut took over.

Where I am going with this? Maybe I have rose colored glasses, but I think Elko would be stupid to leave Duke.

1. Job security. Elko goes 7-5 next year. No one will be calling for his head. No articles of “Elko needs a great year or he is on the hot seat.”

2. Never underestimate the ability to make a program completely your own. You have success at FSU, you get compared to Bobby Bowden. You have success at Florida, you will be in the conversation with Spurrier. You have success at Michigan, it is Bo. God love Tressel and Saban thriving (or did thrive) having to deal with the legacy and programs that are Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant at OSU and Alabama respectively.

3. Duke is in the unique position to feast in the grad transfer arena. If they are a grad transfer, they are most likely not going to the NFL or are not projected high and want to play another year. Why not come to Duke for grad school and it’s sterling academic reputation? We can easily land program-changing grad transfers. Sprinkle in talented high school players, and it is a program. Recruiting wise, I think we are in a unique situation.

4. Our new AD has clearly shown a commitment to football. We have an engaged alums who would gladly fork over money to be successful. We have some of the best medical facilities in the country. You have built in name recognition of Duke simply because of basketball.

I may be wrong, but I do not see why Elko would leave? What program is where Duke is football wise where you can see the possibilities with a coach has a chance to become a legend and clearly etch his name to this is Duke football?

And if he is considering leaving, I would hope he only considers elite of elite (OSU, USC, ND, Alabama). However, with the pressure and fanbase at Alabama (who Saban hates), I don’t know why anyone would want to replace Saban. When Day is fired, OSU needs a guy that gets the midwest rabid football vibe. Day’s biggest issue.

Plus Elko has ivy League roots so maybe he likes being around people who actually go to class and study a bit.

But at the end of the day, who really knows. I do know for sure that Duke's administration has decided to go All In on football which means Elko will be paid as much as possible to keep him here. I assume his restructured contract is already in the ballpark of big time FB schools, otherwise why would they have bothered to do it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT