ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

WOW good weekend for ACC football but man it got tougher for us. FSU is for real. They trounced LSU. UNC looked really good against the cocks. Pitt is solid again. Really looking forward to watch the game tonight and see if DUKE has taken a step up.
Notre Dame looked pretty good also. Not an ACC team but on Duke's schedule.

Reactions: surfdevil
6 of 12 games against ACC teams makes ND half of an ACC team this year.

Or does having a full vote in conference matters make them a whole ACC team?

LET'S GO!
Blue Devils Dance GIF by Duke Athletics

Defense playing great!! We should be up 9-0 if we hadn't had the 2 fumbles. We need to score on our opening drive in the 2nd half. If the defense keeps up the great play, WE CAN WIN!!!!

OFC

Was this a fluke ? Just by watching the highlights it seems like we made some mistakes in the first half, and could have been up more, but Clemson made some mistakes in the 2nd half, and could have changed the game. Is Duke on an uhill trajectory, or is Clemson on a down hill plummet ? Is our defense this good, or Clemsons offense, and QB not like it usually is? Basically if we played this team 10 times this year would we win just 1? Is what Im asking lol . I sure hope I can watch our football team now!

Was this a fluke ? Just by watching the highlights it seems like we made some mistakes in the first half, and could have been up more, but Clemson made some mistakes in the 2nd half, and could have changed the game. Is Duke on an uhill trajectory, or is Clemson on a down hill plummet ? Is our defense this good, or Clemsons offense, and QB not like it usually is? Basically if we played this team 10 times this year would we win just 1? Is what Im asking lol . I sure hope I can watch our football team now!
Our team speed was about the same as Clemson and our special teams was better. The difference in the game was our quarterback was better and Clemson had turnovers in red zone

There were 3 things I noticed that bode well for the rest of the season.

1. Like Kingblue said, our team speed equaled Clemson's. Even the announcer mentioned that, with some surprise.
2. I thought Duke would melt in the 4th quarter. Instead, Duke got stronger. Credit the second unit for subbing well the entire game, especially the front four.
3. Riley Leonard was not sharp. His throws were high all game. Nerves no doubt. He will be better, Calhoun will not fumble a bouncing punt, and hopefully Cam Dillon (a Columbia transfer!) won't do something stupid like he did. Duke can play a lot better.

Speaking of Dillon's play, Dave Pasch, who is the poor guy who puts up with Bill Walton every week, really got it wrong by blaming the refs on the play. The play was called correctly (and congrats to the refs for making a tough decision on that one). Pasch should have talked about the rule being unfair not the call being wrong.

Column from last night.

It's premium and if you'll allow me a plug ... You won't find more in-depth coverage of Duke football this season. The 112-player visitor list for last night is over there along with two recruit profiles from the weekend.

Reactions: Devilinside
My impression of the Duke defensive game plan is that it was genius. It seemed to me that the main goal was to keep the ball in front of our guys, not allowing any of the long disruptive plays that marked Cut's defense. Sure, we would give up some yardage, but in much smaller increments which allowed the clock to run longer. Clemson used more of the clock, but only because Duke forced them to do that. They simply did not have the opportunity to score quickly.

In his press conference, Dabbo tried to make much of the fact that Clemson had 200 yds. rushing and 200 Passing, 422 net total yards, implying that, despite the lopsided score, Clemson controlled the game. Rose-colored glasses? That was less than 50 yards more than Duke gained. As well, Duke averaged 6.6 yards on its plays, Clemson only 5.3.

OFC

Clemson also got about 50 cheap yards at the end of the half that did them absolutely no good.

Our defense I think was based on our lack of quality linebackers and our abundance of defensive backs. Therefore we were vulnerable to runs that got by our defensive line but before the DB's could come up and tackle. But it takes a lot of those runs to finish a drive.

I was very impressed with our bigger DB's. That's a real change from previous years.

Clemson also got about 50 cheap yards at the end of the half that did them absolutely no good.

Our defense I think was based on our lack of quality linebackers and our abundance of defensive backs. Therefore we were vulnerable to runs that got by our defensive line but before the DB's could come up and tackle. But it takes a lot of those runs to finish a drive.

I was very impressed with our bigger DB's. That's a real change from previous years.
This is true but it's also the case for just about every team in the FBS other than the Big Ten and MAC. That's always who Elko has been with his defenses and it's no shock that's how Santucci has constructed things -- your third LB on the field is a nickel and a lot of your third-down packages involve a 3-man line and an extra, usually versatile, DB.

You won't find many defenses operating in the 4-3 ... and the team Duke beat last night runs it.

Our team speed was about the same as Clemson and our special teams was better. The difference in the game was our quarterback was better and Clemson had turnovers in red zone
King that's such a HUGE comment about our team speed being "about the same as Clemson!!!" It was, and how often has that happened!!!???

I love what @surfdevil said about the crowd, and the recruits we had at the game! Plus NATIONAL TV (I have Spectrum so I watched on Fubo).

I an so glad for all the players, the staff, the administration like AD Dr. Nina King, and everyone in Coach Elko's hiring process. Most of all I am glad for us long suffering Duke football fans who have stayed so LOYAL to the program even in those last three lean Cut years. The program really fell to the basement.

Nonetheless folks like @Devilinside , @Liftee , @jeffrey236 , @surfdevil , @kingbluedevil , @smashmouth5 , @BlackKnightNut , @JohnstonCDevil , @kwyjibos13 have ALL remained so loyal.....Enjoy this guys, embrace it and get ready to ride!!! The 21st ranked UNDEFEATED Duke FOOTBALL Blue Devils take the field again Saturday!!! OFC

King that's such a HUGE comment about our team speed being "about the same as Clemson!!!" It was, and how often has that happened!!!???

I love what @surfdevil said about the crowd, and the recruits we had at the game! Plus NATIONAL TV (I have Spectrum so I watched on Fubo).

I an so glad for all the players, the staff, the administration like AD Dr. Nina King, and everyone in Coach Elko's hiring process. Most of all I am glad for us long suffering Duke football fans who have stayed so LOYAL to the program even in those last three lean Cut years. The program really fell to the basement.

Nonetheless folks like @Devilinside , @Liftee , @jeffrey236 , @surfdevil , @kingbluedevil , @smashmouth5 , @BlackKnightNut , @JohnstonCDevil , @kwyjibos13 have ALL remained so loyal.....Enjoy this guys, embrace it and get ready to ride!!! The 21st ranked UNDEFEATED Duke FOOTBALL Blue Devils take the field again Saturday!!! OFC
Well said and all Duke fans deserved this night
I was a Duke football fan before basketball

I was of course a big Duke FB fan when I attended Duke back in the Middle Ages. Then I kind of lost interest during the '90s until my son attended and was a big FB fan in the early '20s. I remember him calling me when they beat ECU in his very first Duke FB game from the field while they were taking down a goal post. Unfortunately the euphoria didn't last.

Then one day I turn on the TV and I see the Cut-led Duke team competing with Pitt and I realized something was going on. From that day forward I was hooked and haven't missed a game that was televised since, except for 2 I remember where I listened on the radio because I was at a wedding. Even in the late Cut era when it was obvious the team had lost its heart.

And I have great confidence that it is only going to get better from here!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT