ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Duke opened spring practice yesterday -- I couldn't make it because of scheduling, but I'll be out there for Pro Day on Monday and for a Tuesday morning practice.

In the meantime, here are the 5 storylines to track for the next month.
Good read. We are really going to miss safety Darius Joiner. That young man was all over the field last year, and hope we come together as a secondary to overcome his loss.

OFC

So just to give a quick review of the scrimmage
Riley has taken a step forward at QB. He is really comfortable back there now and has control of the playbook. Henry B is an effortless deep ball passer. Throws a beautiful ball. Loftis looked good also. Strong QB room.
We have a group of really strong rb's. We are deep!
The WR/TE group is solid but not great. Still want to see some separation to help the QB's.
Online is very solid and they were subbing in a bunch to give everyone play time. Jacob Monk is the leader and looks good at center.
The defense looked good on all 3 levels. Once again lots of rotation going on and we seem to have really good depth in the secondary.
I am really going to be exited to see how the rotation works out when the other kids show up this summer.

Last edited:
Surf thanks so much for the write-up! Bigger and stronger is music to my ears. With the schedule this year, Duke is going to be facing better athletes in my opinion. Being "as good" as last year isn't going to do it.

Do we only have 3 QBs on the roster?

Surf thanks so much for the write-up! Bigger and stronger is music to my ears. With the schedule this year, Duke is going to be facing better athletes in my opinion. Being "as good" as last year isn't going to do it.

Do we only have 3 QBs on the roster?
Yes. It's a little precarious.

I think they'll find a walk-on for the fall. It's a minor thing, but sometimes you need a body and an arm to get through those third-team reps and you don't want the freshman's arm to fall off.

nice article in the news and observer about duke.
lt barton, lg mac, c monk, rg pickett, rt hornibrook big and solid front line if mac gets back from his injury
they said two rsfrosh in parker (ot) and maycraft (og) have made the second line already. also transfers hall and purcell are on that second line.
terry moore is the third starting safety which shows what an athlete that kid is.
they feel we will go after an OT and a safety in the portal this summer

@surfdevil terrific wrap-up and detail on the scrimmage!! Makes me really optimistic about our team going forward. Thats obviously important given the scheduling upgrade noted by @Liftee .

Generally all aspects of the team sound stronger, but I did want to ask you about our WR/TE situation. You touched
on "separation" and I assume you meant receivers to emerge a more distinct tier (say Moore, Calhoun and Pancol) above others?

Now, here's a key component: when you are running pass routes (surf you know football as well as anyone I know), a key is to in fact, get "separation." Are we doing enough to help Riley in that regard?? Please surf and @ConorONeill elaborate. Thanks guys, and how did Todd Pelino/Charlie Ham look in our kicking game!!

I cannot WAIT for Labor Day Weekend!!! #GoDuke OFC

Last edited:
Yes. It's a little precarious.

I think they'll find a walk-on for the fall. It's a minor thing, but sometimes you need a body and an arm to get through those third-team reps and you don't want the freshman's arm to fall off.
Lets not forget that Luca Diamont came to Duke as a QB. Presumably he could be moved back to QB from receiver should a need arise. OFC

Spring game rosters here:

The most-interesting thing to me is having Brandon Johnson as a safety and the only nickels being Cameron Bergeron and Placide Djungu-Sungu. Johnson played at an All-ACC level at nickel last year but I think he's an option to slide back to the starting safety spot alongside Jaylen Stinson; the only way that happens is if the staff is comfortable with it not being too far of a drop-off from him to PDS or Bergeron.

And that's why rankings really don't matter. Conor said Brandon Johnson played at an all acc level last year but when he committed to duke rivals rated him a 5.4 two star kid. You just don't know what kind of a motor or heart a kid has till you get him on campus. Ratings guys can't see every player and sometimes they just throw out a grade.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Good read Conor. Really amazing what Riley's done. He's come such a long way, and I like his growing confidence.

It's also so reassuring to know last nite's absent kids don't have injuries which will set them back.Thats significant going forward.We need every available healthy body against Clemson Labor Day Nite. Conor, what kind of chances do you give Duke to win the opening game? I believe this program under Elko is truly hungry, and progressed PAST the "slim and none" chance stage. OFC

Really impressed by all the QB's. If Riley gets dinged I feel comfortable with Belin. His arm and athletisim jumps of the charts. The only thing he is missing right now is playing time. If Riley goes pro after this year as some think I feel Belin will be really good next year. Also Loftis was much better last night than some people were expecting. He threw some beautiful balls. This is the deepest QB room I can remember. A definite starter, a backup ready to start and a young player with lots of potential.
Peyton Jones is a stud at rb. If Collins heals and gets back to the level they were expecting them our rb room is deep and set for the future.

Last edited:
Good read Conor. Really amazing what Riley's done. He's come such a long way, and I like his growing confidence.

It's also so reassuring to know last nite's absent kids don't have injuries which will set them back.Thats significant going forward.We need every available healthy body against Clemson Labor Day Nite. Conor, what kind of chances do you give Duke to win the opening game? I believe this program under Elko is truly hungry, and progressed PAST the "slim and none" chance stage. OFC
I don't know, maybe 30-40%.

Clemson is not trending in the right direction. If they haven't hit a homer with Klubnik -- I've got my doubts -- then their offense is going to basically be Will Shipley left, Will Shipley right, Will Shipley up the middle. Their defense is bound to be stellar again, but Duke's offense is obviously the stronger of their units.

I don't know, maybe 30-40%.

Clemson is not trending in the right direction. If they haven't hit a homer with Klubnik -- I've got my doubts -- then their offense is going to basically be Will Shipley left, Will Shipley right, Will Shipley up the middle. Their defense is bound to be stellar again, but Duke's offense is obviously the stronger of their units.
Thanks much @ConorONeill ..... Certainly gives me hope. I know you are a straight shooter. I know the Tigers travel well, and Labor Day weekend plays out perfect for their rabid fans to pack Wade.

I have been to Duke-Clemson games back in the 70s, and even then they brought a strong contingent. Important Duke fans as @smashmouth5
stated to really descend on WW.

OFC

Thanks much @ConorONeill ..... Certainly gives me hope. I know you are a straight shooter. I know the Tigers travel well, and Labor Day weekend plays out perfect for their rabid fans to pack Wade.

I have been to Duke-Clemson games back in the 70s, and even then they brought a strong contingent. Important Duke fans as @smashmouth5
stated to really descend on WW.

OFC
In addition to being a Duke diehard, I am also a rabid South Carolina Gamecock fan, having attended law school there. So when Duke upsets Clempsun, I will gleefully join my USC (there's really only one real USC, and that one resides in Columbia) brothers in taunting and trash-mouthing any unfortunate kitty-cat fans who are unlucky enough to be around. I just can't wait. OFC

I think that like the dl commit earlier this week he will be a PWO. It is kind of a statement for Duke and Elko that kids want to come here to be a part of the team. A poster on another board said he sat at the scrimmage last night with Aeneas Peebles grandfather and he said that the energy and vibe of the team was just getting stronger and stronger and his son loves it here. Can we ask for anything more?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT