ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

A great combination--get higher ranked recruits (if that matters, we know the coaches know a lot more than the recruiting services) and then coach them up when they arrive!

Really exciting news. It would be great to get consistently in the top tier of ACC teams, would put Duke in good shape when the inevitable scramble for inclusion in the Super Conferences comes.

So Duke is starting to load up on scheduled visits for the spring. It just seems like the kids they are talking with are just solid. Most are not rated yet but if you look at the offer lists they all have a large number of P5 offers.

I’m really surprised - I thought with how quickly Coach Elko showed his ability, his recruits would be fairly secure. Perhaps NIL at play here?

Reactions: surfdevil
I suspect your explanation is spot-on. but i also suspect that Elko is determined to bring us up to being a serious national program. And I wouldn’t bet against him. Whether that will be his launching pad to be the next Alabama or [fill in the blank] coach, I don’t know. But i sincerely believe we’ll be going head-to-head with the big guys for some top recruits sooner than ever expected.

Hey Conor can you check in and find out what Duke is doing about the S&C coaching staff? We had 5 guys last year at this time and right now we only have 2. Just seems like we should be filling these spots quicker.
Good point. That was an area we obviously really improved in '22. I am sure Conor has a bead on it! OFC

i think the chance to play at a top football program plus staying in his home state won out. in his tweet he talked about his visit and how all the kids there talked like him and had the same dreams. we are an up and coming program but we will never be LSU in football and thats okay. LSU will never be like Duke academically.
It was all about NIL. He said in an "On3" piece LSU offered an "insane" package. OFC

Here's the copy-and-pasted release from Duke football, where the info on Cam Dillon is confirmed:

DURHAM – For the last month, Duke football has been participating in an off-season competitive agility competition and on Thursday morning 'Dream Team' claimed the crown.

Dream Team, comprised of Vincent Anthony Jr., Cam Dillon, Sahmir Hagans, Grayson Loftis, Luke Mergott, Terry Moore, Aeneas Peebles, Jake Taylor, Jordan Waters, and Porter Wilson, outlasted 'Hog Tires' in the championship matchup to finish the four-week event with a 7-1 ledger.

The eight overall teams were ranked on two portions -- strength, such as sled pulls and tug of war, and agility, which included stations such as star shuttles and change of direction bag drills.

The Blue Devils officially kick off spring practice on Friday, March 24 at Brooks Practice Facility. One of those 15 spring practice sessions will be devoted to the team's Blue & White Game, which is set for Saturday, April 22 at 1 p.m.

so goduke.com has updated the roster and adjusted heights and weights.

wesley williams 6'3'' 274lbs rfr and aaron hall 6'4'' 273lbs rsoph are now listed at DT. if these are their spring weights i would imagine by the time the fall comes around they would be 5-10 lbs heavier. nice depth add.
our senior DT'S are all interesting. carter at 303, peebles at 292 and franklin at 307. the fall incoming frosh simmons is 298 and boggs is at 280. we got meat up front.

incoming frosh david anderson 6'4'' 280lb and kevin oconnor 6'4'' 220lb are both listed as DE.
my big concern on the DE front is that vincent anthony is down to 228 lbs. not the direction i wanted to see him go. all the others have stayed in that 245 lb to 260 lb range.

eric weatherly is now listed as a wr instead of rb

so goduke.com has updated the roster and adjusted heights and weights.

wesley williams 6'3'' 274lbs rfr and aaron hall 6'4'' 273lbs rsoph are now listed at DT. if these are their spring weights i would imagine by the time the fall comes around they would be 5-10 lbs heavier. nice depth add.
our senior DT'S are all interesting. carter at 303, peebles at 292 and franklin at 307. the fall incoming frosh simmons is 298 and boggs is at 280. we got meat up front.

incoming frosh david anderson 6'4'' 280lb and kevin oconnor 6'4'' 220lb are both listed as DE.
my big concern on the DE front is that vincent anthony is down to 228 lbs. not the direction i wanted to see him go. all the others have stayed in that 245 lb to 260 lb range.

eric weatherly is now listed as a wr instead of rb
Everything in the trenches on D sounds pretty good. As you mention surf, simply need Vincent Anthony to bulk up some more. He's a tremendous talent.

Also I am excited for Eric Weatherly's transition to wideout!! He needs to be on the field more.Good move!!

OFC

Surf that's interesting because 24/7 still shows him transferring to Duke but that may have been updated last in January. Wonder what happened.

Reactions: surfdevil
X2!!!!

OFC
Seriously though, who would have thought that we'd be saying this and so excited this time last year?

Not to mention when I was growing up lmao. My favorite player was Chris Douglas and I still think he may be the best running back we've ever had, but he was on the worst stretch of teams for Duke ever. Ryan Fowler also comes to mind... I hope those two are enjoying the Duke Resurgence as much as anyone. They deserve it for what they gave to the Program 💙💙💙

Seriously though, who would have thought that we'd be saying this and so excited this time last year?

Not to mention when I was growing up lmao. My favorite player was Chris Douglas and I still think he may be the best running back we've ever had, but he was on the worst stretch of teams for Duke ever. Ryan Fowler also comes to mind... I hope those two are enjoying the Duke Resurgence as much as anyone. They deserve it for what they gave to the Program 💙💙💙
Knight, you speak volumes!! My friend, Chris Douglas doesn't get NEAR the credit he deserves. It's all about what you referenced. Chris played on some terrible teams for terrible coaches, Carl Franks and Ted Roof.

Douglas completed his freshman year under Franks, and an AWFUL Duke season. He then faced a decision. TE and standout Ben Watson URGED his roommate to TRANSFER with him to Georgia.

I will always admire Chris Douglas for staying at Duke and getting his degree!! Watson went on to glory at Georgia, and a solid NFL career. He's an extremely smart young man.

However the accomplishments of Douglas cannot be ignored as a Duke running back. He set records, earned a DUKE DEGREE AND led Duke to their 1st win over UNC in about 15 years!!!

OFC

Was talking with someone and we were talking about how the transfer portal has changed recruiting. Said the coaches are coming to see highschool kids but telling them they can't offer until they see what's in the portal. This is leading to kids who may have gotten D1 offers going to smaller schools and then jumping back in later.

I guess we were a little naive to think this wouldn't happen. I just hope that Elko is keeping an open ear for players who might have a big senior season and want to come to Duke instead of a lower tier school.

I guess we were a little naive to think this wouldn't happen. I just hope that Elko is keeping an open ear for players who might have a big senior season and want to come to Duke instead of a lower tier school.
Or players who do not want to wait for big football schools to fully assess the transfer poortal before doling out scholies. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT