ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Gameday on Thursday nite! The Blue Devils (3-7, 0-6) HAVE A CHANCE to win a football game on national tv! Tonite's 7:30 kickoff in Wallace Wade vs Louisville(5-5, 3-4)is on ESPN.

Ok back to reality about that "have a chance to win." Louisville while not great is CERTAINLY better than Duke. The Cards are 5-5, waxed Syracuse last week, and Coach Scott Satterfield (the type of coach Duke needs), is looking to nail his 2nd bowl in 3 years at the helm.Previously he was a VERY consistent winner at App St. Duke is reduced to playing for pride and Coach David Cutcliffe for his job.

A thumbnail on Louisville. QB Malik Cunningham is a fleet footed dual threat who threw for 4 tds in last week's 41-3 pasting of Syracuse. Cunningham's receivers are fast like him, and Duke must watch Tyler Harrell (31yds avg per catch, yes you read it right!). Thats not a good mix for the chaotic Duke secondary. Btw the Louisville D has given up plenty of points at times but the Cards have THIRTY SACKS ON THE YEAR!

Overall, its another bad mix for Duke although as Satterfield said this week, Duke generally plays much better at home. True, but is it enough to pull off an upset as a 20 pt underdog??? Doubtful. Duke's banged up at qb. However I look for Cut to go with Gunnar(I'd rather Jordan Moore get the start after last week). Durant must do better than 30+ yds rushing, and the OL must block a solid defensive front.

I will say the glare of national tv and the fact we're at home keeps it close for a while, but Duke falls 42-21.Satterfield is from the Durham area, and its a fitting place for him to clinch his 2nd bowl bid in 3 years at the 'Ville. OFC

Gameday on Thursday nite! The Blue Devils (3-7, 0-6) HAVE A CHANCE to win a football game on national tv! Tonite's 7:30 kickoff in Wallace Wade vs Louisville(5-5, 3-4)is on ESPN.

Ok back to reality about that "have a chance to win." Louisville while not great is CERTAINLY better than Duke. The Cards are 5-5, waxed Syracuse last week, and Coach Scott Satterfield (the type of coach Duke needs), is looking to nail his 2nd bowl in 3 years at the helm.Previously he was a VERY consistent winner at App St. Duke is reduced to playing for pride and Coach David Cutcliffe for his job.

A thumbnail on Louisville. QB Malik Cunningham is a fleet footed dual threat who threw for 4 tds in last week's 41-3 pasting of Syracuse. Cunningham's receivers are fast like him, and Duke must watch Tyler Harrell (31yds avg per catch, yes you read it right!). Thats not a good mix for the chaotic Duke secondary. Btw the Louisville D has given up plenty of points at times but the Cards have THIRTY SACKS ON THE YEAR!

Overall, its another bad mix for Duke although as Satterfield said this week, Duke generally plays much better at home. True, but is it enough to pull off an upset as a 20 pt underdog??? Doubtful. Duke's banged up at qb. However I look for Cut to go with Gunnar(I'd rather Jordan Moore get the start after last week). Durant must do better than 30+ yds rushing, and the OL must block a solid defensive front.

I will say the glare of national tv and the fact we're at home keeps it close for a while, but Duke falls 42-21.Satterfield is from the Durham area, and its a fitting place for him to clinch his 2nd bowl bid in 3 years at the 'Ville. OFC

H2C, I think you described tonight’s game correctly, although I think it’s too late for Cut to save his job. Unless he wins 5 of the next 2 games..😝
Jeff I AM TOTALLY WITH YOU!!!! OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
Oh my. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse...please play running clock, no clock stoppage. mercy rule. Anything.

I've said before, these young men wearing Duke uniforms deserve better coaching.

Deja vu all over again guys. Duke has been outscored 116-51 by Pitt and Louisville in its last two HOME GAMES. Of course this was sandwiched around the Va Tech beatdown in Blacksburg last week.

The Show Must (NOT) Go On!!!! Nina you are going to have to put on your big girl pants, and dismiss Cut after the Miami game. The man has lost touch w/reality, is holding this team hostage, and has TOTALLY LOST RESPECT for Duke fans. He stubbornly refuses to come to grips with the fact he needs to give it up.

I stopped pulling for Cutcliffe (pull for the players only to win)
weeks ago for his selfishness, refusal to make schematic and personnel changes (Gunnar IS NOT our BEST qb), and his tired old same remarks loss after loss.

Justin Fuente gets the axe in Blacksburg after slaughtering us, yet its status quo in Durham. FACT: EVERY TEAM IN THE ACC HAS MINIMUM TWO CONFERENCE WINS EXCEPT DUKE. Cutcliffe is still in search of his FIRST, and ITS NOT COMING VS MIAMI. With apologies in advance to @DevilsIllustrated we are in the clutches of a sadly "senile" man who could care less about Blue Devils fans wishes. He's legally stealing Duke millions, ever since a ridiculous halfback jump pass two years ago at the UNC goal line. We've never recovered. OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Realizing this is not the best time or place to be introducing myself ...

But greetings, officially. I'm Conor O'Neill, still relatively new publisher here. With that, first want to apologize for the way the transition was handled with Brian and Clint -- and I hope you've subscribed to their Substack.

I'm learning my way around the boards and will try to have more of a presence here -- though it seems like the open forum has a lot of frequent posters and threads without my input. I'll try to drop in with unlocked stories I think you'll find interesting, and hope that in time, you'll consider joining as a premium member.

Here's the unlocked story from last night's game, with some alarming comments from Jake Bobo about the lack of answers.

Thank you for that. How can Cut say "we're getting better and tougher" after giving up 62 points and losing to a .500 team by 40?

This has been a wasted football season for Duke, and I feel bad for Bobo who had some talent but was stuck on a terrible team, perhaps the worst in the Power 5 conferences.

This season could have been avoided as soon as the administration saw that Cut was doing nothing to improve his coaching staff. He should have been given the same ultimatum as he got at Ole Miss. Instead, Duke Football will always show up in the record books for futility.

Thank you for that. How can Cut say "we're getting better and tougher" after giving up 62 points and losing to a .500 team by 40?
Yeah I mean, this has been the strangest part to me. He's remained pretty positive and forward-thinking, which I suppose is what he has to do ... but at some point you just ignore that and focus on what you see on the field.

I won't claim to be an expert on X's and O's and talent evaluation, but man, they've got more talent than to be 0-7 in the ACC and only have one competitive game. As you said, Bobo is talented. Durant is obviously really good. Jalon Calhoun should be used in space more. Holmberg's performance has deteriorated a bit, but he's been hurt and it's his first year as a starter, so that's to be expected, at least to a degree.

It's hard to come away from evaluating this team without thinking the staff has cost them at least a couple of wins. Hell, if they just beat Charlotte and GT, they're trying to win next week for a bowl berth.

Realizing this is not the best time or place to be introducing myself ...

But greetings, officially. I'm Conor O'Neill, still relatively new publisher here. With that, first want to apologize for the way the transition was handled with Brian and Clint -- and I hope you've subscribed to their Substack.

I'm learning my way around the boards and will try to have more of a presence here -- though it seems like the open forum has a lot of frequent posters and threads without my input. I'll try to drop in with unlocked stories I think you'll find interesting, and hope that in time, you'll consider joining as a premium member.

Here's the unlocked story from last night's game, with some alarming comments from Jake Bobo about the lack of answers.
Conor pleasure meeting you friend! Folks here are die hard DUKE FOOTBALL ADDICTS, and. VERY GRATEFUL for the insightful article as well friend!!

Best always,

OFC

I am convinced Cutcliffe’s fate has already been decided, but then you have to wonder: why a delay in announcing it? The only reason I can think of is that there’s a deal between the sides that it will be characterized as a retirement (the “Randy Edsall” spin), but they’re still negotiating the terms. Hopefully in the meantime a serious search for a replacement is going on. Sadly, it’s costing the players a season of their careers and seriously damaging alumni good will, most of whom just don’t give a sh*t about Duke football any more. If news about Cut’s departure doesn’t happen before both fans in attendance at the Miami game have left Wallace Wade, I’ll be a member of that group as well. And I’ll have lost all respect for Nina King.

I am convinced Cutcliffe’s fate has already been decided, but then you have to wonder: why a delay in announcing it? The only reason I can think of is that there’s a deal between the sides that it will be characterized as a retirement (the “Randy Edsall” spin), but they’re still negotiating the terms. Hopefully in the meantime a serious search for a replacement is going on. Sadly, it’s costing the players a season of their careers and seriously damaging alumni good will, most of whom just don’t give a sh*t about Duke football any more. If news about Cut’s departure doesn’t happen before both fans in attendance at the Miami game have left Wallace Wade, I’ll be a member of that group as well. And I’ll have lost all respect for Nina King.
Jeffrey I understand!!! I just HAVE TO FEEL negotiations are going on per his buyout, a search committee is looking at replacement candidates, etc. If not, I am totally ashamed in our leadership. OFC

Yeah I mean, this has been the strangest part to me. He's remained pretty positive and forward-thinking, which I suppose is what he has to do ... but at some point you just ignore that and focus on what you see on the field.

I won't claim to be an expert on X's and O's and talent evaluation, but man, they've got more talent than to be 0-7 in the ACC and only have one competitive game. As you said, Bobo is talented. Durant is obviously really good. Jalon Calhoun should be used in space more. Holmberg's performance has deteriorated a bit, but he's been hurt and it's his first year as a starter, so that's to be expected, at least to a degree.

It's hard to come away from evaluating this team without thinking the staff has cost them at least a couple of wins. Hell, if they just beat Charlotte and GT, they're trying to win next week for a bowl berth.
Part of this happens a lot when you have ( we hope) a lame duck coach. The guys with nfl hopes put enough on tape for their purposes and the rest are either graduating or will get a fresh start from the next coaching staff. Yeh it will be on film for the next Coach but most coaches now take the clean slate approach. Add to that the fact that duke normally has sketchy depth and things tend to get worse as the season goes on. Does anyone think we beat Kansas if we play again?

There's been a lot of talk about whether we are better off now than before Cut. I looked at the schedules of teams in the early 2000's They played no mid majors, the lowest teams were service academies (would we beat them now?) with ECU and Northwestern thrown in. Take away the creampuffs and Duke doesn't get to a bowl a couple of the times they went recently. And of course everyone goes to a bowl with a .500 record now where they didn't used to even with a 7-4 record.

In other words, except for maybe the Johnny Football season, perhaps the Cut years weren't as great as we thought. Even so, they were a lot better than now.

There's been a lot of talk about whether we are better off now than before Cut. I looked at the schedules of teams in the early 2000's They played no mid majors, the lowest teams were service academies (would we beat them now?) with ECU and Northwestern thrown in. Take away the creampuffs and Duke doesn't get to a bowl a couple of the times they went recently. And of course everyone goes to a bowl with a .500 record now where they didn't used to even with a 7-4 record.

In other words, except for maybe the Johnny Football season, perhaps the Cut years weren't as great as we thought. Even so, they were a lot better than now.
Just waiting for the transfers and the de-commitments to come rolling in. You would think that Cut would have the courage to apologize for the team he has put on the field and for the embarrassment and dejection he is subjecting our players to. But, no, he is still making shameful excuses, and he has the gall to say that on defense "there were not a lot of mistakes. Another dumbfounding call by Cut is kicking a field goal when we are down 35 to 6. He does not even try to explain that one. OFC

Last edited:
Just waiting for the transfers and the de-commitments to come rolling in. You would think that Cut would have the courage to apologize for the team he has put on the field and for the embarrassment and dejection he is subjecting our players to. But, no, he is still making shameful excuses, and he has the gall to say that on defense "there were not a lot of mistakes. Another dumbfounding call by Cut is kicking a field goal when we are down 35 to 6. He does not even try to explain that one. OFC
Right DI! SETTLING for 3 fgs in the red zone that would give us NO CHANCE. Hes got WAY TOO MUCH PRIDE TO APOLOGIZE to everyone for taking us back to the bottom!!!!Certainly agree w/you though, an APOLOGY is certainly warranted!!! OFC

UT may be dumb, but it is not stupid. Unfortunately.
Haha!!! True, never would they or ANYONE hire him now as HC. However w/the Manning stakes so high, giving him some GLORIFIED TITLE as "senior analyst" to recruit Manning seems plausible. #PleaseTakeHim

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
Better than being unemployed! I guess it would depend on who else out there we’d be bidding against.
Very true Jeffrey!! Problem is theres a lot of vacancies out there. Probably a lot more budgeted for FB than Duke. From what I read Mullen was making about 7mil annually at Gainesville, Cut is about at 3 mil.

Conversely, imagine if you wish to get out of the media glare of SEC football, and cool off a while. YOU desire maybe rebuilding our trainwreck w/CONSIDERABLY LESS MEDIA scrutiny. Well, this is the place. OFC

Agree, H2C. Ironically, 5 years ago Cut could have had the stadium named after him, everyone was so impressed at what he had done. Now, maybe a portal? Seat?

• Haha
Reactions: hart2chesson
Florida has to pay Mullen the remainder of his contract. He can sit at home and collect, or he can take another job for less and Florida has to pay the difference. He might consider the Duke job. His credibility took a big hit when he claimed that his life had been threatened multiple times, but had no proof

Reactions: KDSTONE
That is not the kind of guy Duke would be looking for. Duke should be looking for the guy who is on the rise.
Mullen too good for Duke in his mind. He hates recruiting with a passion. Oc in the nfl probably his soft landing If that goes well hc in the nfl

Reactions: hart2chesson
Florida has to pay Mullen the remainder of his contract. He can sit at home and collect, or he can take another job for less and Florida has to pay the difference. He might consider the Duke job. His credibility took a big hit when he claimed that his life had been threatened multiple times, but had no proof
And also he’s pretty much a douche. Have you heard the man talk?

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT