ADVERTISEMENT

Did Duke recruit Marcus Bagley at all? *Marvin’s Brother*

Wow @dukehokie i haven’t seen you this lit up since our last podcast (shameful plug for those who don’t think we disagree)

See thats the deal, you nailed it! For all those who say Mac and his buddies, I know I don't always agree with Mac and Pisg, and they don't see eye-to-eye w/me referencing Duke basketball.Sure we talk about the team, just like you guys. Invariably however the mods are in LOCKSTEP on the board generally when it comes to their views. It probably makes some others shy away from posting their own views. Just a thought.....Dukehokie, Timo is right- you're so lit up a Christmas tree would be jealous!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Fair enough Timo. I realize I’m in the minority on Bagley. I’m fine with it though. I laid out my reasons. They are just my opinions. I go back to the timing of his signing, and I may be wrong, but I thought he was cleared by the NCAA when the team would have been down in the Dominican. Then, in my opinion, I thought we played better team ball in his absence. We went 5-0, 6-0 if you count Michigan State, without him.
Believe it or not, my views are not a vendetta against Bagley, as much as they are with my believing we had better chemistry when he didn’t play.
Offensively, he’s at the top of the list of Duke players. To me, Carter was a more rounded player, but doesn’t get the credit.
I don’t disagree with your status on Carter. I do disagree that if Bagley wasn’t there and it was just Wendell, it would have exposed WC. Not saying in a bad way, but we don’t know bc defenses never focused on him. They focused on stopping Grayson and MB3. So from that standpoint WC kind of lucked out. Now again, we don’t know what we don’t know, he could have put up 20-10 easily but would we have been worse? My contention- yes. Bc the defense against us would have changed dramatically. I do agree that WC is underrated. Shockingly enough, another guy who gets bashed here and is, imho very underrated, Jabari. If he had a center that year (we tried to get Tariq Black), i think that team was set up awesome for a run.

See thats the deal, you nailed it! For all those who say Mac and his buddies, I know I don't always agree with Mac and Pisg, and they don't see eye-to-eye w/me referencing Duke basketball.Sure we talk about the team, just like you guys. Invariably however the mods are in LOCKSTEP on the board generally when it comes to their views. It probably makes some others shy away from posting their own views. Just a thought.....Dukehokie, Timo is right- you're so lit up a Christmas tree would be jealous!

OFC
You just contradicted yourself while quoting me.

Reactions: dbav
Holy smokes!!! I went away for an hour and wow!!

1. This is good for the board, get some people jacked up!

2. @pisgah101 i love you, i really do. The whole comments about deleting threads or whatever. It’s not easy and i would never delete threads or comments i disagree with about duke. When it becomes political (even when some of your comments i may or may not agree with) i need to delete them. That’s the direction we were given by DI. So let’s move off of that talking point.

3. Wow @dukehokie i haven’t seen you this lit up since our last podcast (shameful plug for those who don’t think we disagree)

4. Back to the topic at hand. I don’t think I’ve been disrespectful other than, and I’ll admit i was out of line for saying “there the real @Mac9192 ” that was my bad. But i think, and coming from what i know about that team from folks in the program, putting the blame on bagley for the things going on with that team is just misinformed. I’m fine with differing opinions even when you’re wrong but saying he was the chemistry issue (my words not Macs) is just not true. I could say the same, and have, about the folks who say Austin was the issue on the 2012 squad. The issue wasn’t him. It was miles and seth.

Step away for two hours and watch what happens lol

I don’t disagree with your status on Carter. I do disagree that if Bagley wasn’t there and it was just Wendell, it would have exposed WC. Not saying in a bad way, but we don’t know bc defenses never focused on him. They focused on stopping Grayson and MB3. So from that standpoint WC kind of lucked out. Now again, we don’t know what we don’t know, he could have put up 20-10 easily but would we have been worse? My contention- yes. Bc the defense against us would have changed dramatically. I do agree that WC is underrated. Shockingly enough, another guy who gets bashed here and is, imho very underrated, Jabari. If he had a center that year (we tried to get Tariq Black), i think that team was set up awesome for a run.
A guy that catches a lot of flack off that team is one that I think would have been better without Bagley: Duval. I think he was handcuffed a bit.
In my opinion, the numbers we would have lost without Bagley would have been made up by the other 4. Even if we weren’t as good offensively, and I’m not sure the others couldn’t have picked up the slack, I think our defense was better without him.

Sorry for that, but think most see my point.

OFC
I think your perspective is skewed though. And I’ll give my boy @pisgah101 and @Mac9192 credit here, both see where I’m coming from and realize it’s not a cult mentality. I disagree with hokie on plenty of issues. I think DJ and i agree more thank hokie and i. And that’s ok. Bc opinions are ok. You trying to create this idea that if you’re “a mod” you’re untouchable is just that, an idea made up in your head. I’m wrong a lot. Feel free to debate me, much like Mac has done. Trying to justify and create some generalization of being a mod, bc you don’t like our opinions is on you. Debate, don’t succumb to what’s happened in this country imo. where you immediately align with those who you feel best represent your beliefs even if you don’t actually believe every single thing they may say. It’s ok to disagree with people who also believe the same things you do in other areas of life. Hokie and i agree on somethings and others we don’t. It’s healthy to have that disagreements when we put facts out there and debate them. One thing i respect about Mac is that he doesn’t shy away from supporting his beliefs even if i May disagree.

Whew...I didn't read but a post here and there, but sounds like covid 19 cabin fever is loose!

Anyway, I just want to say is this the guy we're talking about? https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/marvin-bagley-iii/4427

Cause, if it is, this ain't finny! I love Bags, thought he was terrific. Okay A-holes back to your corners, and come out fighting!:D

OFC

Marvin Bagley was absolutely terrific in the year Duke had him, and I think we were really lucky to get him. I think from an individual standpoint, you could make a very compelling argument that Zion is the only player in the history of the program to have a better freshman season.

I think your perspective is skewed though. And I’ll give my boy @pisgah101 and @Mac9192 credit here, both see where I’m coming from and realize it’s not a cult mentality. I disagree with hokie on plenty of issues. I think DJ and i agree more thank hokie and i. And that’s ok. Bc opinions are ok. You trying to create this idea that if you’re “a mod” you’re untouchable is just that, an idea made up in your head. I’m wrong a lot. Feel free to debate me, much like Mac has done. Trying to justify and create some generalization of being a mod, bc you don’t like our opinions is on you. Debate, don’t succumb to what’s happened in this country imo. where you immediately align with those who you feel best represent your beliefs even if you don’t actually believe every single thing they may say. It’s ok to disagree with people who also believe the same things you do in other areas of life. Hokie and i agree on somethings and others we don’t. It’s healthy to have that disagreements when we put facts out there and debate them. One thing i respect about Mac is that he doesn’t shy away from supporting his beliefs even if i May disagree.

I said I was done here unless I was called out since you tagged me I’ll count it ;) you’re last two great posts are great and the love is mutual :D LOL

Reactions: timo0402
I think this team was crippled by Graysons and Trents shooting. Those 2 guys were way better shooters than they consistently showed. If they shot anywhere near what they were capable of and EXPECTED to shoot like, that team is indefensible. The floor is spread, doubling the post is near impossible. Bags and Carter down low Is a positive instead of creating a clogged lane. Bags and Carter can compliment each other instead of detracting. Duval has more room to drive and better results when kicking out.
Most of the ways the games of Duval, Carter, and Bagley detract from each other disappear.
Not meant to blame Grayson and Trent. Just that on paper, this team WAS constructed well. When the shooting didn't work out as well as expected, it crippled this team's chances of gelling. I think that was more the problem than a Bagley chemistry issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwill133

No, Mac shares my beliefs about the mods always closing ranks on the board. He will tell you so. Also, there are always the same posters who follow up with their approval to your (mods) views.

Look I am not saying a thing in the world is wrong with that. Its just whats wrong with a group opposing your views on a topic??? It seems to strike a collective nerve...OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
No, Mac shares my beliefs about the mods always closing ranks on the board. He will tell you so. Also, there are always the same posters who follow up with their approval to your (mods) views.

Look I am not saying a thing in the world is wrong with that. Its just whats wrong with a group opposing your views on a topic??? It seems to strike a collective nerve...OFC
Nope, again, you’re not even reading what my point was. You want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Mac can speak for himself. And frankly i think he will continue to debate his points whether or not anyone is a “mod”. Your obsession with the “mod” label is a you problem. Pisgah has no problem debating me or any other person on this board, mods included. That’s what i love about him. I mean, is he wrong 99% of the time!, sure, but he debates. (I’m kidding @pisgah101 ) but again, stop acting like there is some cult following bc you’re a mod. Believe me, it’s it true and it’s a thankless job. @skysdad appreciate the flower bouquet.

Reactions: dukiejay
Until I made this thread, I really didn’t know all these opinions on Marvin Bagley III, from our fan base, existed.. I’ve never seen RR or THR take shots at Marvin (and family) being shady.. I always just see the usual: Grayson Allen is the dirtiest player ever, where did Lance Thomas get the money to buy all that jewelry, and Zion’s family was given a house to play at Duke.

I think that was more the problem than a Bagley chemistry issue.

And to your point, there has never been anything that I’ve seen to suggest Bagley brought chemistry issues.

Others on the team? You can at least point out viable examples. Grayson was a lightning rod. Trevon was tweeting at halftime of a game. Carter’s mom liked attention. Trent’s dad thought he wasn’t a focal point of the offense. Meanwhile, all Marvin did was have the most prolific freshman season in Duke history and in the ACC.

Now, did his prowess maybe hold back others? Sure. But then you could say the same about Zion and RJ, as well as every other great player ever.

As hokie highlighted from the Kansas game, it sure would have been nice to see Marvin get a chance or two down the stretch. I’m not upset with Grayson having the ball at the end....thought he earned that moment and opportunity. But again....our best player, or clearly our best player, not getting his touches? Made zero sense.

Nope, again, you’re not even reading what my point was. You want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Mac can speak for himself. And frankly i think he will continue to debate his points whether or not anyone is a “mod”. Your obsession with the “mod” label is a you problem. Pisgah has no problem debating me or any other person on this board, mods included. That’s what i love about him. I mean, is he wrong 99% of the time!, sure, but he debates. (I’m kidding @pisgah101 ) but again, stop acting like there is some cult following bc you’re a mod. Believe me, it’s it true and it’s a thankless job. @skysdad appreciate the flower bouquet.

I stand by what I said ol buddy. Sorry its a "thankless job" for you.... OFC

Until I made this thread, I really didn’t know all these opinions on Marvin Bagley III, from our fan base, existed.. I’ve never seen RR or THR take shots at Marvin (and family) being shady.. I always just see the usual: Grayson Allen is the dirtiest player ever, where did Lance Thomas get the money to buy all that jewelry, and Zion’s family was given a house to play at Duke.

You asked the time and we built you a watch zooka......OFC

A nerve was definitely struck with Hokie. I love a good debate, at times I have felt the mods have aligned together, or gang up on someone. Timo and Hokie both debated me, things were said not entirely on the issue. I admitted my error, Timo did as well to me. I didn’t see much wrong with what you said Hart. You were brought into this by someone else, then made a counter post.
From what I read, I got the impression Timo read your post different than I did.
Mod or not, if we say something out of line, we should all man up. I have been guilty of getting too hot under the collar as well.
We are all like a bunch of caged animals right now, and it’s no secret, Bagley is a sore spot for me. I’m definitely in the minority on my opinion of him on the 17-18 team.
But, that’s something I can live with.

@pisgah101 on page 1

SimpleZanyIvorybilledwoodpecker-small.gif

Whew...I didn't read but a post here and there, but sounds like covid 19 cabin fever is loose!

Anyway, I just want to say is this the guy we're talking about? https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/marvin-bagley-iii/4427

Cause, if it is, this ain't finny! I love Bags, thought he was terrific. Okay A-holes back to your corners, and come out fighting!:D

OFC
Bagley’s list of accolades (in 1 season) is about as long as this thread. That’s how damn good he was.

If I didn't know better I would think a lot of the posters on this thread have been hacked and taken over by thr trolls. Some people need to get out of the house, go outside and chop some wood or something. It's about time to junk this thread which has been going no where for a while now and start posting on our off topic threads as way off sports as they may be. Of course even with that there would be pissing matches about who was better Otis Redding or Marvin Gaye, Steve Perry or Freddie Mercury, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Get over it. OFC

If I didn't know better I would think a lot of the posters on this thread have been hacked and taken over by thr trolls. Some people need to get out of the house, go outside and chop some wood or something. It's about time to junk this thread which has been going no where for a while now and start posting on our off topic threads as way off sports as they may be. Of course even with that there would be pissing matches about who was better Otis Redding or Marvin Gaye, Steve Perry or Freddie Mercury, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Get over it. OFC
Upmost respect for you Sky. But sometimes these things happen. Most on here are proud fans, and many (yes I’m one) think they are right when they post something. These things sometimes happen though, as unfortunate as it was.
We aren’t going to always agree. Like you’ve said, in a weird way, this board is like a family. You get to know a poster that is a regular, even if we’ve never met.
In my opinion, this board would be dull as hell if everyone always saw eye to eye.
It’s calmed down now, and we will move along to the next thread.

Upmost respect for you Sky. But sometimes these things happen. Most on here are proud fans, and many (yes I’m one) think they are right when they post something. These things sometimes happen though, as unfortunate as it was.
We aren’t going to always agree. Like you’ve said, in a weird way, this board is like a family. You get to know a poster that is a regular, even if we’ve never met.
In my opinion, this board would be dull as hell if everyone always saw eye to eye.
It’s calmed down now, and we will move along to the next thread.

Exactly.....any family has squabbles and/or debates..... OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I stand by what I have said. You are talking about the team with him. I’m admitting Duke was more talented with him, but was a better team without.
The trip that was canceled? If I’m not mistaken, he hadn’t been cleared by the NCAA, so he couldn’t have played.
It’s TIMING. Has nothing to do with the kid personally. I know that’s hard for many to make a claim that I’ve made. It’s really hard for a lot of people to see past talent alone. But there is more than just talent.
Had we went 3-2 or 4-1 while he was injured, I wouldn’t say we were a better team without him. But we won every game.
This argument is so weak. We didn't play good teams in that stretch at all. Clemson was our best opponent and they were overrated as hell. Btw Carter wouldn't have been the lone big. He would've been the 4 with Marques at the 5. It would've been nothing like Vernon being the lone big man this year

This argument is so weak. We didn't play good teams in that stretch at all. Clemson was our best opponent and they were overrated as hell. Btw Carter wouldn't have been the lone big. He would've been the 4 with Marques at the 5. It would've been nothing like Vernon being the lone big man this year
You’re a little late to the party, and I’m too exhausted to debate at this point. Just scroll up the page, there’s plenty of reading material from me.

I'll agree with Mac in the sense that I've never liked two low post bigs. It works great for UNC, but I've never really liked it for Duke.

But Bags busted his ass more than any player on that team. Brought it nightly and was so quick off the ground. Fun watching him rebound and that sequence against UNC where he got like three boards in a row and then flushed it.

I thought Carter came up pretty small in the Kansas game and it seems you could rattle him mentally fairly easily. Short arming that bunny up 3 was a killer.

Got to think if they go low to Bags on the last possession something good happens. Bucket or at the line to hopefully knock down at least 1.

Reactions: skysdad
I also “respectfully” disagreed and he came back with his usual BS, least of all claiming if we want to slobber all over someone. The disrespect was started by the person you’re defending.

If you want to give this mod thing more weight than it’s worth, by all means please do, but don’t come chastise me. Just like all of you can bring your noise, I can do the same. I will gladly relinquish my ability to click ban, lock and delete, if it means I get to throw out the trash when need be.

The curtain is pulled back. I don’t give a damn if you respect me as a mod. This is still OUR board as Duke fans, and when someone pops off with some bullshit, I’ll defend my team. Duke fan, UNC fan, Kentucky fan. Fanhood be damned. Everybody can get it.
My purpose was not to defend mac9192. I stated clearly that I did not agree with his position on Bagley. I did not mention you by name in the email, nor was my intent to "chastise" you. My intent was to try to explain why such dialogue has no place on this board and is in fact harmful to the spirit of the board. Whether mac9192 disrespected you or not, I did not see it in his posts, but even assuming that he did, disrespect is wrong no matter the source. If he had responded with the same level of vitriol exhibited by your post, he would have been in the wrong. I have a lot of respect for your opinions and knowledge. I am just not enamored with certain of the ways you choose to express them. There are right ways to defend a team or player, and there are wrong ways. I just did not like the language you used in this thread.

I think what people overlook with the 2 bigs and even Duval is that without good shooting from Trent and Grayson, this team was never going to be a title contender. Good, at times or with certain matchups very good, but never great. That was our team. We didnt have great sub to consistently go with one big, someone who was going to open up the floor for Duval. With below avg shooting, the only matchup problem we presented was the 2 bigs.
Grayson or Trent were going to pick it up or not. The only real chance we had for a title was them doing so. If not, it just wasnt going to happen. They had to play and shoot. If they shoot well, the 2 bugs and Duval thrive too. If not they were going home anyway.

On the surface, it sounds fair to say we didn’t shoot well. I think some of our sub par shooting comes from horrible ball movement. Other than this season, our ball movement the last few seasons has been bad, to say the least.
Guys shoot better when the ball moves better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT