ADVERTISEMENT

mid-season grades

Foster and McCain will get starting minutes . Foster is NBA ready .
How was Keels a big time scorer? He was hit or miss in between games .
It’s simply players choice . I don’t think anyone is bad mouthing Lively . What we are saying is nothing what NBA scouts are watching and thinking . It’s not his confidence IMO. It’s his actual game in general . It’s what happens when your no longer the tallest or strongest on the court.
Keels averaged 11.5 PPG as a freshman on a very balanced and loaded Duke team in which he also came off the bench for the 2nd half of the season. Keels had 25 points in his 1st ever game against UK, 25 at Clemson, 27 at Pitt, and 19 in the final four game. Keels as a sophomore would have been a big time scorer averaging 18-20 ppg on this Duke team IMO.

Regarding Lively, it is what it is at this point. He’s been terrible, probably shouldn’t get more than a few minutes a game until we see him actually make an impact on the game. I find it annoying when Duke fans say “Lively sucks” without providing any context at all. But that’s the Internet. Lively was clearly overrated as a prospect, he hasn’t shown anything at all when playing against guys his size.

Regarding Lively, it is what it is at this point. He’s been terrible, probably shouldn’t get more than a few minutes a game until we see him actually make an impact on the game. I find it annoying when Duke fans say “Lively sucks” without providing any context at all. But that’s the Internet. Lively was clearly overrated as a prospect, he hasn’t shown anything at all when playing against guys his size.
I don’t know how any fan can be annoyed with fans that say Lively sucks. It’s said because he has sucked!
I didn’t rate him, but some recruiting “experts” thought he was the best recruit. Sorry, but the eye test says what the %#¥^ were they watching?

Maybe he starts playing better, but so far he’s shown no offensive ability other than an occasional dunk.

I don’t know how any fan can be annoyed with fans that say Lively sucks. It’s said because he has sucked!
I didn’t rate him, but some recruiting “experts” thought he was the best recruit. Sorry, but the eye test says what the %#¥^ were they watching?

Maybe he starts playing better, but so far he’s shown no offensive ability other than an occasional dunk.
Did you miss the part where I said without providing any context at all? I agree, Lively has sucked. The “experts” never thought he was the best recruit so I’m not sure where this keeps coming from?

Lively has shown zero offensive ability other than a few dunks. He is a walking turnover too with the ball. He is better than Young defensively though and it’s not very close, and that’s without the light bulb turning on for Lively yet. Young helps because Lively would foul out in 20 minutes every game. I just think we as fans are smarter and better than say the Tarhole fans and could do without ragging on our own guys without any context, just my opinion.

Reactions: christophero
That is where I am coming from. I don't tell people what they cannot post. But I lurk on other boards and Lively is getting killed, so he probably doesn't need it from us as well. Its not like he is pouting on the bench and opting out or transferring. He also seems like a good kid. Maybe he is too mild mannered.

Foster is 100% starting next year. As for Lively, I haven't seen anyone on here being overly abusive to him and taking it too far. Go to RR if you want to see that. However, there is absolutely zero argument to be made on his behalf as to what he's done this year, and he has hurt us far more than helped.

Did you miss the part where I said without providing any context at all? I agree, Lively has sucked. The “experts” never thought he was the best recruit so I’m not sure where this keeps coming from?

Lively has shown zero offensive ability other than a few dunks. He is a walking turnover too with the ball. He is better than Young defensively though and it’s not very close, and that’s without the light bulb turning on for Lively yet. Young helps because Lively would foul out in 20 minutes every game. I just think we as fans are smarter and better than say the Tarhole fans and could do without ragging on our own guys without any context, just my opinion.
Somebody thought he was #1. That’s the number that’s been associated with him. No one from this board brought up how bad he is until he had some games under his belt.
To be honest, as a whole, Duke fans aren’t any different than tar hole or Kentucky fans. We would be laughing if Lively was playing for one of the other blue bloods.

Reactions: pisgah101
Keels averaged 11.5 PPG as a freshman on a very balanced and loaded Duke team in which he also came off the bench for the 2nd half of the season. Keels had 25 points in his 1st ever game against UK, 25 at Clemson, 27 at Pitt, and 19 in the final four game. Keels as a sophomore would have been a big time scorer averaging 18-20 ppg on this Duke team IMO.

So averaging 11.5 is a super scorer? He went to the league because his stock would never be higher as it has shown in the league . His shot was barely on at times and his ability to get to the rim was fading . He went to the bench because when he hit the freshman wall he disappeared at times . His defense was also on the side of caution.

I don’t see a lot of Lively sucks but I do see a lot of over rated with his recruiting rank by like I’ve stated people need to actually read the reports that come with the recruiting stat sheets. A lot of people also got hyped when he was picked A’s ACC rookie of the year over Whitehead and Flip.
Keels never cared about NIL , he stated so in an interview. Him coming back was never a question IMO . He always knew he was going to enter . Guys need to realize that if any class had the chance of high rated recruits staying it’s this one . Covid played a big role in these players ratings .

Reactions: Mac9192
That is where I am coming from. I don't tell people what they cannot post. But I lurk on other boards and Lively is getting killed, so he probably doesn't need it from us as well. Its not like he is pouting on the bench and opting out or transferring. He also seems like a good kid. Maybe he is too mild mannered.
This kills me . How do you all thinks scouts are looking at Lively ? How is any fan getting on him harshly? The kid is 7’1” and is very limited on the offensive end, controlling the ball, rebounding both offensive and defensive and the only thing going for him IS a blocked shot here or there. There is a reason Scheyer yanked him in the BC game . When six foot guards are taking rebounds from you that’s cause for concern .
No one is saying he’s not a good kid. I think it’s safe to say we all knew when he signed he was headed for the league . The issue however is his non production is effecting his own draft status . Sorry but that kid needs some tough love just like Whitehead’s aunt told him . Your not that good of a player . Lively should never be under at least Eight points and eight rebounds .
Other fan bases talking junk about him don’t bother me because their school probably recruited him and they were all high on him.

So averaging 11.5 is a super scorer? He went to the league because his stock would never be higher as it has shown in the league . His shot was barely on at times and his ability to get to the rim was fading . He went to the bench because when he hit the freshman wall he disappeared at times . His defense was also on the side of caution.

I don’t see a lot of Lively sucks but I do see a lot of over rated with his recruiting rank by like I’ve stated people need to actually read the reports that come with the recruiting stat sheets. A lot of people also got hyped when he was picked A’s ACC rookie of the year over Whitehead and Flip.
Keels never cared about NIL , he stated so in an interview. Him coming back was never a question IMO . He always knew he was going to enter . Guys need to realize that if any class had the chance of high rated recruits staying it’s this one . Covid played a big role in these players ratings .
If Keels was at Duke, who do you think our leading scorer would be?

I kinda doubt lively is reading DI lol

If Keels was at Duke, who do you think our leading scorer would be?
Not one individual person . It would rotate from player to player. Just like it is now . Keels isn’t a given scorer . If he was he would have went early first round. He had an NBA body but not athleticism. He has an off and on again three point shot and OK defense .
If you could have sold Keels on being the leading scorer, number one option and playing on National tv to raise his stock while making NIL, Don’t you think the coaching staff tried ? A lot of their minds are made up with their intentions prior to stepping on campus . He wanted to go and he did so it’s a mute point .

I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure, but based on Jon's comments and Trevor's comments, it doesn't sound like they tried very hard to get Keels to return. I think they are afraid of being seen as anything less than 100 % supportive of the one and dones.

Last edited:
I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure, but based on Jon's comments and Trevor's comments, it doesn't sound like they tried very hard to get Keels to return. I think they are afraid of being seen as anything less than 100 % supportive of the one and dones.
What is said publicly and what happens behind the scenes are very different. Jon and the staff wanted Keels to return. He was all set to come back, and something changed. We've done this before. Keels is gone. We have who we have. Keels would've been better than Proctor, but it is what it is.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT