ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not casting him off but what did anyone see in his what 8 total minutes this year that makes them think he will contribute at all? Serious question
Well it was 8 minutes. Only played for 2-3 minutes at the end of a blowout. I’m sure he’s just gonna do great after sitting on the bench for 2 hours. Can’t judge somebody’s play off 8 minutes

When you’re routinely pulled ( except on rare occasion) for every little mistake, who’s game wouldn’t be shaky?
Come on now. You sound like a high school kids dad blaming the coach for his son’s lack of playing time. Alex has proven (only through 2 seasons) that he is a 1/2 trick pony. Streaky shooter, that’s it. Every other part of his game is below average. Can that change? Heck yes it can, but to blame the coaching staff for his lack of minutes is an extremely lazy approach imo.

I believe that the Cassius commit ran him off.

This. Would rather have kept Boogie but it is what it is. Even if RJ puts us back on his final list, don’t see him coming here. He ends up at Kansas or Memphis. Hope I’m wrong. Would love to have him, as RJ is a good enough scorer to play SG with Tre running the point.

I don’t think this changes anything with regards to Hampton. he wouldn’t have been scared off by Boogie anyway. When Tre resigned, that was it. He threw out the PC line of how he could/would play with a PG like Tre but it was all fluff. I expect Hampton to go to Memphis, wouldn’t be surprised to see Boogie follow him. They could still land Watford and Precious. Would probably put them as the top class, with Wiseman already there.

Reactions: Mpm277
When you’re routinely pulled ( except on rare occasion) for every little mistake, who’s game wouldn’t be shaky?

That excuse works in little league but these are dudes trying to become professional. You have to be tougher than that mentally. If you’re scared to get pulled for a mistake you’re going to play scared. Might as well not play you at all

Reactions: truth321
what about the big that Nate James landed, that changed his mind, went to georgetown, then found out he had heart issues?...did he ever commit as well????
It was Tyler Adams I think. Never got to suit up but graduated from Georgetown. He signed then recommitted as well.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Now that Boogie is out. The 2 guard starter will clearly come down to Cassius or Alex. My money would be on Cassius, think he's coming in more physically mature than most freshman.

Were down a sniper without Boogie, so Alex will be essential.

Any legit talk over there as to the direction on the open ride now? I hope it is a grad player.

Hope my math is correct:
Jones 35 minutes
Stanley 25
Moore 25
Baker 10
White 16
Hurt 27
Carey 28
Javin or Bolden 22
AOC/Jordan 12 combined

Looking at usage patterns the last 10 years or so I'd go with:

Jones - 35
Hurt - 32
Carey - 30
Moore - 29
Stanley - 26
Javin+Boldin - 22
White - 12
AOC - 8
Baker - 3
Gold - 3

So how is it , this is college ball and a player who stayed and graduated from Duke gets called trash?

Boogie saw the writing on the wall with Tre coming back and Stanley and Moore being good ball handlers. Best of luck to him.

Now AOC and Baker know there are minutes to be given.
You have to consider the source of who called a Duke player trash. He’s s “true” Duke fan.

I had no idea that K was coaching a local kids YMCA program. Man Duke has fallen off a cliff.

Reactions: dukehokie
Well it was 8 minutes. Only played for 2-3 minutes at the end of a blowout. I’m sure he’s just gonna do great after sitting on the bench for 2 hours. Can’t judge somebody’s play off 8 minutes

Agree...he has shown nothing so far to show if he will be a player or not

So would it be fair to say then that you think the staff is at fault and AOC is mentally weak?
But was Alex weak against VT? Everyone said the reason he didn’t play against ucf was it was too physical. Yet he played 35 minutes against VT in the very next game, and led us in rebounds.

So many want to “only” blame it on him. I agree that he hasn’t been what many thought he should, but few want to mention when he plays decent, and the sweet 16 game is an example.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
But was Alex weak against VT? Everyone said the reason he didn’t play against ucf was it was too physical. Yet he played 35 minutes against VT in the very next game, and led us in rebounds.

So many want to “only” blame it on him. I agree that he hasn’t been what many thought he should, but few want to mention when he plays decent, and the sweet 16 game is an example.
He played 35 minutes, shot 2-6 from the field and 0-4 from three (2 or 3 of those were wide open ones he has to make). He had 2 turnovers and 2 assists. His defense wasn't terrible, but VT had guys we could hide him on.

VT was not a physical team at all, they were a bunch of shooters centered around Blackshear. Alex did grab 7 rebounds, 5 of those were leftover rebounds where the ball had bounced already, meaning everyone boxed out successfully and the ball just happened to go to Alex's direction.
For a game where he didn't know he was starting until 15 minutes prior, he did fine, but honestly he was still a net negative that night.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3

He had to play. Cam was out and Jack was physically compromised. If jack was healthy Alex would not have been playing. The threat of him possibly making a shot is why he was out there. We couldn’t throw Goldwire out there. He’s a spot/situational player.

I'm not saying nor suggesting Alex isn't capable. He was decent against VT and did an admirable job filling in on late notice. He didn't make a single jump shot, though. If he was consistent with his shooting, he would have played a lot more minutes last season. What's even more worrisome is that he didn't hunt his shot enough....and he played on one of the least 'selfish' Duke teams of the past decade. Plus, if my math is correct....he made just two of his last 13 three-point attempts on the season.

Bottom line....he had chances. He didn't make the most of them, and then those chances, with exception of the VT game, became fewer as the season went on.

He played 35 minutes, shot 2-6 from the field and 0-4 from three (2 or 3 of those were wide open ones he has to make). He had 2 turnovers and 2 assists. His defense wasn't terrible, but VT had guys we could hide him on.

VT was not a physical team at all, they were a bunch of shooters centered around Blackshear. Alex did grab 7 rebounds, 5 of those were leftover rebounds where the ball had bounced already, meaning everyone boxed out successfully and the ball just happened to go to Alex's direction.
For a game where he didn't know he was starting until 15 minutes prior, he did fine, but honestly he was still a net negative that night.
You guys won’t get any disagreement about the lack of production from Alex.
But Cam wasn’t much better! Mr Inconsistent

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3

Cam was significantly better, but unfortunately, as you said, he was just inconsistent. He just had the kind of physical attributes Alex couldn't offer. If anything, because of Cam's inconsistency on offense, it says almost as much about Alex, in that he still couldn't become a more consistent factor.

I really like Alex and I hope he can make a leap next season. Last year, I think I put unrealistic expectations on him. Count me in the group who thought that scoring seven or eight a night, with a few bigger scoring nights sprinkled in was going to the expectation. I even said I felt Alex was going to need to win us a game or two along the way like Andre did in 2010, or how Matt did in 2015 against Gonzaga. Truthfully, if you had told me last November how his sophomore season was going to turn out I would have thought you were crazy.

Cam was definitely inconsistent. Had Cam been better all season, or had Alex made "the leap," we probably win #6.
But please....why attack Cam out of nowhere lol? Cam still had many more great moments than Alex, comparing their seasons is laughable. What does Cam have to do with Boogie Ellis?
Another opportunity has opened up for Alex with Boogie no longer coming, will he seize the chance? We will see. Playing 35 minutes and scoring 4 points with 7 easy rebounds ain't gonna cut it though.

Cam was definitely inconsistent. Had Cam been better all season, or had Alex made "the leap," we probably win #6.
But please....why attack Cam out of nowhere lol? Cam still had many more great moments than Alex, comparing their seasons is laughable. What does Cam have to do with Boogie Ellis?
Another opportunity has opened up for Alex with Boogie no longer coming, will he seize the chance? We will see. Playing 35 minutes and scoring 4 points with 7 easy rebounds ain't gonna cut it though.

Why bring Cam in? Because his leash was much, much longer than Alex’s.

Reactions: Mac9192
Cam’s probably being brought up because he was the biggest disappointment on the entire team last year.

Reactions: Mac9192
His leash was a lot longer than Alex's because Cam was consistently one of our best wing defenders all season. Regardless of the highs and lows of his offense, his defense allowed him to positively impact the game even if he wasn't scoring. Complete opposite with Alex. Alex had to be extremely efficient offensively to negate his terrible defense. Unfortunately, that just didn't happen last season.

Yeahhhhh deservedly so because there's this thing called defense and Cam was really good at it even when he was 1-8 with 5 turnovers.

He was also much, much better. There's really no comparison between the two, other than both played with a lot of inconsistency. Cam's talent and physical attributes just gave him an advantage.

Not saying he wasn’t better but he could make 5 mistakes in a row and stay on the floor. If Alex did, he was yanked, barring his necessity to play, especially when that necessity was White being out with a legit injury and Cam being out with an “injury”.

Yeahhhhh deservedly so because there's this thing called defense and Cam was really good at it even when he was 1-8 with 5 turnovers.

He was? Good? Sure. Really good or great? Let’s not get stupid here.

Cam was 3rd in steals and 5th in blocks on Duke, not in the ACC. I get it, there’s more than these stats in D, but let’s not act like he was top tier in defense.

Is Ellis expecting to be a OAD? If not, this decision is a little baffling. More exposure over time at Duke than any other program, great staff, great alumni...and probably PT as soon as he gets here....all that sacrifice to be "the man"? He's getting some interesting advice.

Is Ellis expecting to be a OAD? If not, this decision is a little baffling. More exposure over time at Duke than any other program, great staff, great alumni...and probably PT as soon as he gets here....all that sacrifice to be "the man"? He's getting some interesting advice.

18 year olds don’t think the same way us old timers do haha.

He wasn’t going to be one and done though. His biggest contributions were coming in two years. A lot of people are saying Tre and Cassius chased him off. It goes deeper than that. Between future roster prospects and distance from home, Boogie had other ideas. Oh well. We won’t miss what we never had, but his shooting would have been a nice addition.

Not saying he wasn’t better but he could make 5 mistakes in a row and stay on the floor. If Alex did, he was yanked, barring his necessity to play, especially when that necessity was White being out with a legit injury and Cam being out with an “injury”.

The more talented guys get more leeway. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT