ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks that we lose a player who’s been committed for a player the staff just got in with. I never thought boogie was all that great but the staff should’ve never been on Stanley. I don’t get it. We’ve got so many backcourt players, how about instead of recruiting more creating a logjam, the staff should focus on developing the ones we have.

AOC's freshman year I actually thought he overachieved. I didn't even expect him to play and he hit some big shots throughout the year. Now, part of the reason he played was just roster construction, we didn't have another option outside of Goldwire.

To be blunt, I thought his soph season was a massive dissapointment. Many on here, including me, saw him as a possible 10-12 ppg guy. Some games K didn't even trust for him to play a second. And honestly...his best scoring game of the year was a disaster because he gave up 35 points on defense and gave the ball away at the end.

I'm glad he's sticking around, were gonna need shooting these next few years. If Alex wants to be a starting guard for Duke, THIS YEAR would be the year he needs to make that leap. Because were gonna bring in some super elite guards in 2020.

This really has nothing to do with Alex being good or not....it's about you being a complete ass. That's not my opinion.

Man I don’t care what you’re talking about. I don’t think Alex is a true Duke caliber player. Just like Josh Hairston was pure trash. I call it like I see it.

Looks like somebody knew back on the 15th of March he was going to ask out. It was a Memphis insider that claimed it.

You got a link for that, out of curiosity?

Also, does anyone know when we started to really pursue Cassius Stanley? I didn't even know he was on our radar until a month ago. Maybe the staff didn't pursue Stanley until they were worried about losing Boogie?

Let's just hope that none of our freshmen are as inconsistent as Cam was. If they are, we probably are in trouble.
Alex needs to improve, that's obvious. Most Duke fans will admit that.

Last edited:
AOC's freshman year I actually thought he overachieved. I didn't even expect him to play and he hit some big shots throughout the year...
To be blunt, I thought his soph season was a massive dissapointment. Many on here, including me, saw him as a possible 10-12 ppg guy...
I was just about to post something similar. His surprising freshman year may have skewed our expectations too much. It's also worth noting how strong Jack started the year, effectively pushing him further down the bench.

And I've said before, his freshman year we started 3 guards and he was the first guard off the bench. The minutes were there and to his credit, he earned them. This year we started 4 freshmen who totaled 130 minutes per game. Ques and Javin basically rotated at the 5 and Jack was the top sub for the other guys. Minutes were harder to come by and if Jack and Javin were first off the bench, it meant there were 5 guys ahead of him for 4 spots.

We had RJ and Zion. Alex did little to nothing. Let’s stop the foolishness. And I said consistently.
I’m not saying Alex will be a star, but he can be a good complimentary/role player around stars like Zion and RJ.

Nolan Smith wasnt very good his freshman or sophomore season.

I’m not saying Alex will be a star, but he can be a good complimentary/role player around stars like Zion and RJ.

We won’t have stars like RJ and Zion again while he’s there. Plus majority of the players we offered for 2020 are mostly guys that can shoot and play on the perimeter.

One reason I was go big on this kid was he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. If that was the case, you would think competing for playing time would be right up that alley. Wish him the best though.

Reactions: mbdfan
Noooooooooo! Come on man. Boogie was gonna be our best shooter. This is some bull. Now we have to deal with inconsistent Alex. I would’ve taken Boogie and ran Alex off. Alex has two years. Boogie has 4 potentially.
AOC’s shots haven’t been inconsistent at all.. his playing time is what was inconsistent.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
AOC’s shots haven’t been inconsistent at all.. his playing time is what was inconsistent.

It hasn’t been lack of playing time with Alex. Even when he’s gotten the minutes he’s been incredibly inconsistent. It’s one thing if he was an elite shooter/scorer, but he hasn’t been.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
It may just be me but I don't see how some think AOC or Baker are all the sudden going to be major contributors...both have shown little to nothing so far....in bakers case almost nothing at all

Reactions: 500HP_Devil
We won’t have stars like RJ and Zion again while he’s there. Plus majority of the players we offered for 2020 are mostly guys that can shoot and play on the perimeter.
It’s already been said in this thread that Alex was better than most expected as a freshman and a disappointment as a sophomore. That’s where we are at. Now let’s hope he takes a step forward for his junior season.

It may just be me but I don't see how some think AOC or Baker are all the sudden going to be major contributors...both have shown little to nothing so far....in bakers case almost nothing at all

Who said anything about either being ‘major’ contributors? That’s just a word you made up for effect, because ZERO people have said that.

But, I think both can contribute, and I’d be surprised if at least one of them doesn’t.

Who said anything about either being ‘major’ contributors? That’s just a word you made up for effect, because ZERO people have said that.

But, I think both can contribute, and I’d be surprised if at least one of them doesn’t.

Ok then if you say so

But to me if someone says someone could average 12ppg that's a major contributor to me unless their name is RJ or Zion

Stand down guys. He was a 4 star guard who I'm sure would have been a mediocre 3 pt shooter

Ok then if you say so

But to me if someone says someone could average 12ppg that's a major contributor to me unless their name is RJ or Zion

Read the post again.

The poster said that coming into this past season he saw AOC as a potential 10 to 12ppg scorer. The sentence before that he called AOC’s sophomore season a big disappointment.

As for Baker, give him a chance before you cast him off completely.

Read the post again.

The poster said that coming into this past season he saw AOC as a potential 10 to 12ppg scorer. The sentence before that he called AOC’s sophomore season a big disappointment.

Not casting him off but what did anyone see in his what 8 total minutes this year that makes them think he will contribute at all? Serious question

UNC got better the last 2 weeks and we got worse. This sucks. Comon back Javin.

I'm not comparing Alex to Nolan, just stating players come along at different times, and sometimes not at all, but dont throw the towel in on guys. I hear in here all the time that we need players that aren't one and done types and we get them and everyone trashes the poor kids cause they dont score 15 points a game or are up for defensive player of the year. It kinda gets sickening all the scrutinizing over every single player that's not all american type. I see why people get tired of Duke fans cause unfortunately there are a bunch of whiny fans that have their lives so wrapped up in Duke basketball that they cant even enjoy being a fan and act like spoiled brats.

From the outside looking in, this could also have to do with Tre returning for a second year....at least moreso than Cassisus committing. If we're all being honest, I don't think any of us expected Jones returning just a few months ago....last fall it was almost a foregone conclusion he would be gone.

I thought about that too. Good luck to him as long as he stays out of chapel hill and the rest of the ACC for that matter. OFC

So how is it , this is college ball and a player who stayed and graduated from Duke gets called trash?

Boogie saw the writing on the wall with Tre coming back and Stanley and Moore being good ball handlers. Best of luck to him.

Now AOC and Baker know there are minutes to be given.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Read the post again.

What makes some pencil in Stanley and Moore as starters?

Baker didn’t play enough for anyone to know any thing. Will say he hit boards well and didn’t look scared. But that’s about it. Supposedly a good shooter which could benefit him. He was ranked in a similar spot as Stanley plus add a season of practice. Seems like he has a shot to crack the top8.

What makes some pencil in Stanley and Moore as starters?

Baker didn’t play enough for anyone to know any thing. Will say he hit boards well and didn’t look scared. But that’s about it. Supposedly a good shooter which could benefit him. He was ranked in a similar spot as Stanley plus add a season of practice. Seems like he has a shot to crack the top8.

I'm praying Joey Baker is not Alex Murphy 2.0. Why didn't Joey keep the redshirt???

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT