ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess his stock really went up after he played Jordan Classic w chip on his shoulder due to not making McD team. What a game! 2 points while shooting 16 percent from the floor .

Reactions: pisgah101
I didnt that coming at all, BUT I can HONESTLY say I can't blame him... and I'm not bashing the kid because hes scared of competition, because I honestly dont believe that. He's talented, and could be a really good player. But the Stanley commitment could have been a slap in the face for him... He's already behind Tre, AOC, Goldwire, Stanley, and Baker for the "positionless" wing minutes IMO... I cant blame the kid for looking elsewhere to better fit his situation and aspirations... I wish the best, maybe it will spark AOC, Baker, and Goldwire to better seasons. It also will hurt the losing a multi year guy in the program.

I guess I fail to surmise how he already knew he was behind those guys you listed, except for Tre. I’m not even sure what would make one think that. He was definitely going to have to compete, but Boogie can play a little, too. Was there a chance he was on the outside looking in? Sure. It was hardly a foregone conclusion, though. Boogie is as offensively skilled as any of those guys.

I hate it for us as fans and for Boogie joining the Brotherhood. Wish him nothing but the best for him and his family,,, unless he only moves 8 miles down the road, which I hope is not an option.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Wow.....I was most excited about him next year. Oh well. Best of luck

I guess I fail to surmise how he already knew he was behind those guys you listed, except for Tre. I’m not even sure what would make one think that. He was definitely going to have to compete, but Boogie can play a little, too. Was there a chance he was on the outside looking in? Sure. It was hardly a foregone conclusion, though. Boogie is as offensively skilled as any of those guys.

If K played the Florida State method, where everyone on the roster PLAYS, or each players plays 10 to 12 minutes it would be different but K DOES NOT PLAY MANY. And yes hes TALENTED but so is everyone else. A Junior Alex, a Junior Goldwire(who will play big minutes next year, Defensive intensity alone), Joey Baker who is a year in the system, and Stanley who is a better athlete, bigger... I'm not saying he wouldn't beat these players in the rotation. HE MAY just have felt there were better opportunity if he looked elsewhere. And that's why I say I don't blame him. I completely understand. Better YOURSELF, and maximize your yourself, however you feel. He hasn't disrespected Duke, so I'm not upset with this decision. I wish him the best. I think he would fit good at Gonzaga. They lose good perimeter players, and it's a team that competes late March every year.

Best of luck to the young man.

We won't ever get the full story, but I'd be interested to know why the sudden change of heart.

I don’t know how I honestly feel about this. A part of me is like dang, this sucks! But after giving it more thought, another part of me is like if you don’t want to come in and work hard and try to earn a starting spot, then I guess that’s on you.

Reactions: QC Dukie
You’re really good at making really bad posts.

In your opinion. I’ll take that into one day and think of you before I post. I don’t know why y’all love Alex so much. If at any point in his career he’s getting consistent starters minutes then I’m willing to bet we weren’t good that year

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
If it were Vernon who de-committed, I'd be more worried. This just means more PT for the others and I'm fine with it. Did the kid not think he was good enough to get major PT? Who knows. Good luck to him and Duke will be just as good either way IMO

In everybodys opinion. I’ll take that into one day and think of you before I post. I don’t know why y’all love Alex so much. If at any point in his career he’s getting consistent starters minutes then I’m willing to bet we weren’t good that year
FIFY

Reactions: QC Dukie
Not to be a jerk but there probably isn’t enough pt for him next year, and if we get bj Boston it will be the same in 2020.

Sooo then Memphis gonna land Boogie and RJ now lol??

I've been reading a lot about how Penny has been talking to and recruiting signed recruits- not a good look

Only concerning because it kinda makes us look bad. But overall its the way things are now. Can't say it has nothing to do with him, because at the very heart of it, its likely because he was worried about PT. If he was a clear cut starter this wouldn't happen, and if Duke wasn't deep this wouldnt happen. That doesnt mean hes not a hard worker or a good kid, but it is about PT.
Overall I don't feel too bad about this one. Means Joey or AO or someone else has to play more and better. But all these guys are talented, its more about fit and health and a few good breaks.

Looking at the bright side....maybe this means he knows we are bringing in a LOADED 2020 guard class, which definitely seems possible.

I'm not sure he was gonna give us much at all this year, so this could actually be a blessing in disguise.

This is a bit surprising. I might could understand him asking to be let out of his LOI RJ Hampton had or was going to commit to Duke. Just a guess but maybe it has something to do with playing so far away from home because it seems like a lot of kids from California or other West Coast states in the past have ended up transferring closer to home but then again like others have said, it could be that he doesn’t want to have to compete for playing time but he probably would’ve gotten playing time behind Tre Jones and Jordan Goldwire next season.

Last edited:
In your opinion. I’ll take that into one day and think of you before I post. I don’t know why y’all love Alex so much. If at any point in his career he’s getting consistent starters minutes then I’m willing to bet we weren’t good that year
I tend to agree with you here. I don't understand what AOC has done to guarantee he gets consistent minutes next season. Streaky shooter, below average ball handler, below average passer, bad defender. Sad but true imo.

Reactions: Quavarius
But....But... people who hate Duke tell me that we only get recruits because we're able to pay so well...

Reactions: Quavarius
Hope my math is correct:
Jones 35 minutes
Stanley 25
Moore 25
Baker 10
White 16
Hurt 27
Carey 28
Javin or Bolden 22
AOC/Jordan 12 combined

This really has nothing to do with Alex being good or not....it's about you being a complete ass. That's not my opinion.

I tend to agree with you here. I don't understand what AOC has done to guarantee he gets consistent minutes next season. Streaky shooter, below average ball handler, below average passer, bad defender. Sad but true imo.

And honestly, I don't think, worded how you did, that many can take issue. Alex hasn't equated (so far) to what any of us thought or hoped. As you proved, it's entirely possible to make a point without tearing someone down and then giving them a kick in the nuts for good measure.

AOC was a mid 60s ranked recruit as I recall. That kind of recruit takes 2-3 years to mature. What I like is the following:

He loves Duke.
He's athletic.
He is not a complainer, or someone who is going to leave if he doesn't get the PT he thinks he deserves.
He has loads of room for improvement.

Am I sure he will develop? Nope, but I know the attitude and effort will be excellent.

Sorry for not being all in on wannabe OAD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT