ADVERTISEMENT

Best rock and roll voices of all time.

a lot of great ones already mentioned, such as Freddie Mercury, Joe Elliott, Plant, I would have probably started with those also, but since they have been named, I will mention steelheart’s lead singer. If you don’t know them, this song will showcase his voice.
When he gets to the chorus, he rips it!!

Reactions: Mac9192
Joe Cocker. His Woodstock set was great.

John Fogerty as well.

Last edited:
I really like Jon Bon Jovi. After 911 sang America the Beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes he sang it so well. OFC

a lot of great ones already mentioned, such as Freddie Mercury, Joe Elliott, Plant, I would have probably started with those also, but since they have been named, I will mention steelheart’s lead singer. If you don’t know them, this song will showcase his voice.
When he gets to the chorus, he rips it!!

Love that song. Here’s another: Can you post this classic @DukefanKY—Sheriff, When I’m with you. Awesome song. He holds the note at the end for 19 seconds, I think.
So many great singers/bands of the 80’s.

Great thread Sky

Reactions: DukefanKY
Speaking of Steve Perry and Journey watching them right now on The Midnight Special on You Tube. He's just tearing it up. Lovin, Touchin, Feelin. OFC

Reactions: DukefanKY
Dude, you're killing me. Found the Cornell's version right when I was going through the worst break up of my life. He nailed it perfectly. Ripped me up, but it helped me so much to hear someone sing those lyrics and know he was bringing it from a real place of pain that I could identify with. That man was lost too soon. Depression sucks brotha.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Love that song. Here’s another: Can you post this classic @DukefanKY—Sheriff, When I’m with you. Awesome song. He holds the note at the end for 19 seconds, I think.
So many great singers/bands of the 80’s.

Great thread Sky

Believe it or not, that was my wife and I’s wedding song!!

Speaking of Steve Perry and Journey watching them right now on The Midnight Special on You Tube. He's just tearing it up. Lovin, Touchin, Feelin. OFC

I seen Def Leppard and Journey in concert last year. Their lead singer now is Filipino. Amazing how close he sounds to Steve Perry!

Most here has no idea who the band is or the lead singer. The band was Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, the lead singer being Gary Puckett. Not a lot of hit but he could sing. Audio on this is not the best though. OFC

ELO. Saw them twice in Philly in a theater with half a symphony behind them and once in a smallish bar near me in NY. Amazing.

Female rock has to be Pat Benatar for me. Power and range.

Jeff Lynne
Brad Delp
Justin Hayward
Dennis DeYoung
Jon Anderson
Gerry Rafferty
Greg Lake
Colin Blunstone
Burton Cummings
Al Stewart
Ed Roland
David Gilmour

Yes, Skysdad, I agree about Gary Puckett.

Reactions: smashmouth5
I have always felt that Freddie Mercury had the best range of any rock singer. He could have been an opera singer and in fact the opera influence is there with many of his songs.

Similarly, Steve Perry is my #2.

The guy who I feel is underrated is Meatloaf. The range and clarity of his voice in Paradise and Bat out of Hell is remarkable. Seen him twice in concert and his voice is just as good live if not better.

Roy Orbison's voice was so smooth it was like honey. Elvis right there with him.

Don Henley's voice has a lot of range also.

Among women, Aretha and Mahalia Jackson had amazing voices. Pat Benatar and Linda Ronstadt also strong voices.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT