ADVERTISEMENT

7.4 Seconds Duke/Wake Redux

OldasdirtDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 16, 2009
I know everyone is getting ready for the big game with the Heels, and the Wake game is history, but I missed out on discussing it, and I want to share my thoughts on the end of the game.

I've got the last 7.4 seconds of video (below), plus several replays, and slow motion replays that allow you to see all the little things that happened during these crucial seconds.

First when Childress got the ball and turned the corner it looked like he might could drive the ball to the basket (and maybe should have tried), but Cam made a great recovery and then forced Childress into an incredibly difficult shot that missed everything, but was one of those type of misses that gets rebounded and put back in many times, but Jack, unable to pull down the rebound, made a good play by knocking it back away from the basket. Unfortunately, Brown secured the ball and was in good position to make a shot, but Tre was alert and came over and harassed him into not being able to shoot the ball immediately, and he had to 'reload' while Tre attempted to block the shot. In the meantime that defense allowed Jack to locate Brown and get in excellent defensive position and force him into an extremely tough shot over his outstretched hand.

Yes, the shot was close, but not like Grayson's rim runner. More importantly, the shot was still on his fingers when the clock expired (shouldn't have counted anyway), and that was due to the great defense that Tre provided that made Brown use precious tenths of seconds, and Jack coming over that forced him into a difficult leaning away from the basket shot. Jack may have even touched it with his fingertip.

After that bonehead inbound play, it would have been very easy for our guys to have been shell-shocked and not focused on playing good defense. But they didn't hang their heads and from the start Cam played great defense, Jack knocked the ball out away from the rim, Tre played great D on Brown, and then Jack finished it off with more great defense.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that Duke wasn't lucky at the end of the game (as many have said). If the shot had went in it would have been Wake that was lucky, because Duke did almost everything perfect defending that shot at the end.

Now, if you want to argue that Duke shouldn't have been in that position, you don't have one from me or anyone else. Duke should have won handily, but for whatever reason they didn't seem to play with any intensity until they got down 10 points and then exploded with some passion long enough to tie up the game.
Still, our guys showed some real grit to win that game at the end. I'll admit I'm not as optimistic as I once was about getting a W at Chapel Hill (without Zion), but I won't discount our guys ability to fight adversity and pull out the win. They are a tough bunch.

Sorry, for the DSouth type of post. It's probably just a cathartic type post for me.

OFC

I agree that we can all gripe that the game outcome shouldn’t have had the chance to rely on this play. Or certainly face-palm over the inbound turnover... But these types of situations only make us better.

Being that our upperclassmen are only roleplayers, it’s so important that this team has had to learn to fight for wins. We all love the blowouts and impeccable performances but in preparation for the final 6 wins in a row grind - I LOVE the fact that we are battle tested.

We can all point some fingers of frustration this year but this team is definitely a group of fighters that don’t give up.

I found a pic of @OldasdirtDevil while posting this on Devils Illustrated:

cool_goat_2.0.jpg

He’s the GOAT on Devils Illustrated. He’s brought more truth, joy, and laughs than the rest of us combined. This thread is only another chapter in his endless contributions and I look forward to, and can’t wait for, all of the GOAT’s future contributions. I invite everyone to show @OldasdirtDevil some love and admiration. He deserves it!

We have two GOATS on this board: Coach K and @OldasdirtDevil

I agree that we can all gripe that the game outcome shouldn’t have had the chance to rely on this play. Or certainly face-palm over the inbound turnover... But these types of situations only make us better.

Being that our upperclassmen are only roleplayers, it’s so important that this team has had to learn to fight for wins. We all love the blowouts and impeccable performances but in preparation for the final 6 wins in a row grind - I LOVE the fact that we are battle tested.

We can all point some fingers of frustration this year but this team is definitely a group of fighters that don’t give up.

I agree, Beer, adversity makes a team stronger. I like to see a certain amount of 'tight' games because just blowing out teams every game will eventually bite you in the butt when a game gets dicey (the same reason I thought Duke had a good chance of beating UNLV in the rematch in '92 because the Runnin' Rebels hadn't really been tested. This team has shown their fight all year long, and I think we're going to be a tough out for anyone.

OFC

cool_goat_2.0.jpg

He’s the GOAT on Devils Illustrated. He’s brought more truth, joy, and laughs than the rest of us combined. This thread is only another chapter in his endless contributions and I look forward to, and can’t wait for, all of the GOAT’s future contributions. I invite everyone to show @OldasdirtDevil some love and admiration. He deserves it!

I haven't been in a laughing mood in a while, but this one brought a big smile to my face, FTB, and I thank you ever so much for that!
I don't go anywhere without my Duke cap though, so this old goat needed a little update in the wardrobe department!:)

8uy1fBW.gif

OFC

cool_goat_2.0.jpg

This cleared up some things for me. I had been hearing some other posters referring to OAD as an old goat. I just didn't realize it was meant as a compliment!!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Great post. So many "little" things go unnoticed during a game. Multiple winning plays made in that one sequence.
One thing I think we have been missing with Zion being out is how well he compliments what Tre and and Cam do on defense.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT