ADVERTISEMENT

RIP, Jerry West

As a little Bioy growing up in Charleston WV I went to the Diamond Department store, purchased "Mr. Clutch-the Jerry West Story" and got in a line to have Jerry West autograph it. I remember he was a nice guy with a nose that looked like an obstacle course (having been broken many, many times). He signed "to Butch (my nickname), then wrote "Best regards, Jerry West. Throughout over 40 years of business I always ended my business letters with the salutation "Best regards".

Most people remember him as being the NBA logo, or his clutch plays, or his 60 foot shot against the Knicks. What folks don't generally know is his incredible natural athleticism. He had an awesome vertical jump and ran as a sprinter for his high school track team, East Bank High School for the town of East Bank, WV. To honor his career leading the WV Mountaineers to the NCAA championship game (which was lost to Cal), and his NBA achievements, the town if East Bank changed its name for one day to "West Bank".

Last edited:
When I was growing up, Jerry West and Oscar Robertson were the best guards in the league. Very different styles of play, but they basically scored 30 pts. for showing up. I didn't see West as much because he was on the West Coast and for you young guys, it's hard to believe that there were only televised games on Sundays if we were lucky. But he had a beautiful jumper, he was athletic enough to get to the basket against anyone, and of course he was a fierce competitor.

And I never heard anyone say anything bad about him as a person. Which may even be a better compliment.

A truly great man.

Reactions: Willcampbell
As a youngster, many, many, moons ago :), I listened to WVU on the radio when West was a player. He quickly became one of my favorite all-time players. I didn't miss many of his games when they were televised. Giving away my age a little, but I really hated it when he retired. He really was "Mr. Clutch"!
RIP - ZEKE FROM CABIN CREEK!

JC - OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT