ADVERTISEMENT

5PointPlay Podcast

Morning Commute Bump.

I haven’t been posting as much, but we certainly give our takes on many of the threads that have come up since the game ended Sunday evening. I hope we can shed some perspective and refocus our fan base to what will be a difficult game Friday night. Let’s Go Duke!

Watched it this morning before I went to bed, and it was good stuff as always. I like the fact you guys didn't sugarcoat anything about the game, and gave us your 'raw' emotions on it. Enjoyed the segment about the sleazebag Avenatti...he's some piece of work!

The only thing I differ on much was that 'hokie (or maybe both of you...don't remember) felt Alex didn't play because of the missed dunk in the other game. I know it's easy to get in K's doghouse sometimes, but I feel like it was more because of his defense (or lack of it) that didn't get him in this game. But hey, that's what this is all about, talking, and getting input from others.
Anyway, thanks Timeo and 'Hokie for all the time I know you spend getting these podcasts up! Keep up the great work!

Oh, and Choo Choo, the train is still moving! Go Duke!!!
OFC

Watched it this morning before I went to bed, and it was good stuff as always. I like the fact you guys didn't sugarcoat anything about the game, and gave us your 'raw' emotions on it. Enjoyed the segment about the sleazebag Avenatti...he's some piece of work!

The only thing I differ on much was that 'hokie (or maybe both of you...don't remember) felt Alex didn't play because of the missed dunk in the other game. I know it's easy to get in K's doghouse sometimes, but I feel like it was more because of his defense (or lack of it) that didn't get him in this game. But hey, that's what this is all about, talking, and getting input from others.
Anyway, thanks Timeo and 'Hokie for all the time I know you spend getting these podcasts up! Keep up the great work!

Oh, and Choo Choo, the train is still moving! Go Duke!!!
OFC

Thanks dirt! I hear you and his defense has been bad all season, but IMO, K has seen enough basketball to know that there are times where the defense isn’t enough and just like they put Tacko in Tre, there were a couple of guys who Alex could’ve guarded for small stretches. Just my opinion.

When I saw his face after that dunk and he still looked like he saw a ghost when he was walking to the tunnel and everyone else was estatic, I said to a buddy then, “Besser will come in before Alex next game.”

Like you said, it absolutely could’ve been because of his defense, but when we had that 7 point lead, that seems to be the perfect time to bring in your three point “ace.”

Thanks dirt! I hear you and his defense has been bad all season, but IMO, K has seen enough basketball to know that there are times where the defense isn’t enough and just like they put Tacko in Tre, there were a couple of guys who Alex could’ve guarded for small stretches. Just my opinion.

When I saw his face after that dunk and he still looked like he saw a ghost when he was walking to the tunnel and everyone else was estatic, I said to a buddy then, “Besser will come in before Alex next game.”

Like you said, it absolutely could’ve been because of his defense, but when we had that 7 point lead, that seems to be the perfect time to bring in your three point “ace.”

Oh, I know K too, 'hokie, and there is no doubt that could certainly be the case! We'll never know I guess, but I agree we need to see Alex some, even if in spot situations, 'cause he can flat out shoot the ball...and that's something we need. Maybe, next game he'll get some run.

OFC

Would expect Jack to be back Friday, my guess is he would come in over Alex in this one. Alex is the 8th man at this point but things can change quickly. In March you play the guys you trust.

Wow, that would be great, Timo. Foul trouble can change things fast, and we see how quickly JGold got back into consideration when he got some minutes against UNC and shutdown Cam Johnson. That was huge for him and Duke. As the Nationwide Insurance ad says; 'life comes at you fast'. Be ready, and you might get your chance.

OFC

Definitely enjoyed this one guys. I have a couple questions for hokie though... are you worried about the buzz of buzz leaving for a Texas school? And do you have a connection to VT or just a fan of them too?

Reactions: timo0402
Would expect Jack to be back Friday, my guess is he would come in over Alex in this one. Alex is the 8th man at this point but things can change quickly. In March you play the guys you trust.

Has jack been workimg on his 3’s???? Be nice

Reactions: timo0402
Definitely enjoyed this one guys. I have a couple questions for hokie though... are you worried about the buzz of buzz leaving for a Texas school? And do you have a connection to VT or just a fan of them too?

Connections and such. I went to school there. Graduated the year before the shootings, lost a best friend in that incident. My brother went there first (graduated in ‘96 and ‘00; undergrad and Master’s and played for the team for a year), other family members went there as well. I have some deep direct ties to the school.

But, as with life, I was a Duke fan before any of that and have stayed loyal ever since, especially since in my wildest dreams I never thought the two would be in the same conference haha.

I know people in the sports info office and people on some of the various staffs. Plus I guess technically I’m a booster haha (I donate but not enough to be cool). But anyway with Buzz, it’s going to come down to Whit Babcock. If he opens his check book, and not even with a lot of money, but longevity, then I think Buzz stays. If he tries to buy him off on a short term deal, I think he goes. Buzz is a family man through and through and he and his family are starting to assimilate nicely in Blacksburg. I think he’d want to stay, but he’ll need the backing of a long promise.

Whit has been good so far. I can’t see him letting Buzz slip away unless he has something better lined up, which I don’t think is out there as available right now. He’s the perfect coach for the Tech community.

Has jack been workimg on his 3’s???? Be nice

Dude I would hope so. We need him to be early season Jack again and I think he can recapture that. This team showed their a— early, dealt with some adversity and now it’s time to get back to what made them great. We saw a flash against FSU and NDSt. Hopefully they bring the next few games.

Connections and such. I went to school there. Graduated the year before the shootings, lost a best friend in that incident. My brother went there first (graduated in ‘96 and ‘00; undergrad and Master’s and played for the team for a year), other family members went there as well. I have some deep direct ties to the school.

But, as with life, I was a Duke fan before any of that and have stayed loyal ever since, especially since in my wildest dreams I never thought the two would be in the same conference haha.

I know people in the sports info office and people on some of the various staffs. Plus I guess technically I’m a booster haha (I donate but not enough to be cool). But anyway with Buzz, it’s going to come down to Whit Babcock. If he opens his check book, and not even with a lot of money, but longevity, then I think Buzz stays. If he tries to buy him off on a short term deal, I think he goes. Buzz is a family man through and through and he and his family are starting to assimilate nicely in Blacksburg. I think he’d want to stay, but he’ll need the backing of a long promise.

Whit has been good so far. I can’t see him letting Buzz slip away unless he has something better lined up, which I don’t think is out there as available right now. He’s the perfect coach for the Tech community.

WOW so this game is worst case scenario for you. Thanks for sharing all that and even though it’s been a while I can’t imagine what you’ve been through dealing with the loss of your best friend.

WOW so this game is worst case scenario for you. Thanks for sharing all that and even though it’s been a while I can’t imagine what you’ve been through dealing with the loss of your best friend.

Yeah it’s absolutely worst case scenario but it’s still a good problem to have.

In regards to everything else, time doesn’t heal all wounds, but his family has been amazing since in advocating for school safety and various other programs. They created an organization that really helped families during Sandy Hook.

But back to basketball. Tech has never made it this far, but keep Buzz around and I think they’ll become a regular in the second weekend of the tournament at the very least.

Reactions: pisgah101
Alex is definitely the 9th man at this point. Goldwire has taken that 8th man role.

Yeah Goldwire’s defense has been amazing and the reason he’s seen so much time. I’ve seen some Thornton comparisons, but he’s much longer and more athletic than Thornton. And a far better defender so far. Would love to see him better able to facilitate next season.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Yeah Goldwire’s defense has been amazing and the reason he’s seen so much time. I’ve seen some Thornton comparisons, but he’s much longer and more athletic than Thornton. And a far better defender so far. Would love to see him better able to facilitate next season.

Tyler worked every bit as hard - and maybe even harder - but he just didn't have the physical tools like JGold.

Tyler worked every bit as hard - and maybe even harder - but he just didn't have the physical tools like JGold.

Absolutely. Got more from him than guys with much more talent. I just hated that Tyler was forced into roles he wasn’t built for. He’s going to make an awesome coach one day by the way.

Absolutely. Got more from him than guys with much more talent. I just hated that Tyler was forced into roles he wasn’t built for. He’s going to make an awesome coach one day by the way.

I can’t read you or timos posts anymore without hearing your voice lol

Reactions: dukehokie
Just remember Hokie is the face of the podcast.

giphy.gif

Hahaha!!!

You know, I always thought your avitar was somebody else!! I finally expanded it and realized it wasn't who I thought

Hahahah. I think @Showenuff referred to me as Sexual Chocolate once, so I had to throw up Mark Henry. It was either him or Mr. Randy Watson! Haha.

Had some computer issues that caused us to delay our latest podcast. We recorded today. Look out for it to start your week. We’ve got a lot to talk about. Go Duke!

timo I must confess that I have never listened to a whole podcast of yours or anyone else's. Never had a reason to listen to a podcast until yours but most days I am a bit sick and just dont feel like devoting the necessary time catching up. Can you please recommend a good starting point to start listening to bring me up to speed.

Thank you...

timo I must confess that I have never listened to a whole podcast of yours or anyone else's. Never had a reason to listen to a podcast until yours but most days I am a bit sick and just dont feel like devoting the necessary time catching up. Can you please recommend a good starting point to start listening to bring me up to speed.

Thank you...
Hey Gotta, no problem. We started the podcast at the beginning of the year. We went week by week, covering anything from games to recruiting to hot button topics. This week we covered the east regional, cam and tre’s decisions, next year and more. We call it a podcast for diehard duke basketball fans.

Reactions: gottagonow

Thank you...

We got better as the season went on. Each week we discussed the flavor of the week. The UNC 1 podcast had some history stuff associated if you’re looking for something like that. This summer, there will be more general topics that will have some good replay value.

One good thing about the off season is that there isn’t one for this podcast. When others are on the golf course, we are in the lab giving you guys content every week. We also hope to have more guests on now that the season is over.

New Episode!!!!

Well, that's it. Duke played valiantly, but in the end, it wasn't enough. We take a look back at Duke's tournament and season, what's to come in recruiting and possibilities for next season's roster. Thank you for your support and we'll keep it rolling through the summer! Go Duke!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT