ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Scheyer Era Begins- Podcast

I’m looking forward to a more diverse recruiting class. Half and half with a couple of multi year players to restore the Duke name not just trying to remember new classes every year that are six to seven deep. Looking forward to the rotation. How will Scheyer show that just because you build around OAD doesn’t mean you can’t challenge for minutes. I would like to see his spin on coaching not just continuing off what K has built . K is the goat but his era is over . Sometimes you have to run your own race and put your spin on your team .

Young gonna surprise some fools this year. Kid can play. He is light years ahead of Worthington.
He’s also played in college as a scholarship player. Worthington was a preferred walk on. Let’s not get a head of ourselves comparing those two. Different positions and different situations. Our hope is he doesn’t end up like Worthington getting mop up minutes ! If he does Dukes in trouble off the bench .

Reactions: christophero
Yeah but that's comparing him to a walk on. He'd better be light years ahead, and I'm sure he is. The question is, can he contribute like Theo or even more? Because Lively and Flip aren't going to be Paolo and Mark. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Reactions: Liftee and sheyduke
Young is better on offense, not as good on defense. Rebounding Young better, theo was a better shot blocker. Different type players. Theo was tougher, but Young might be better. I think he gives us as least as much as Theo. And Theo was my favorite player on last year's team.

I just like the fact that he isn’t scared of Dukes potential four front-court OAD and believes he’s good enough to carve out minutes . One thing to remember, if he stayed at Northwestern he had the starting spot . So I think he’s coming to play .

I just like the fact that he isn’t scared of Dukes potential four front-court OAD and believes he’s good enough to carve out minutes . One thing to remember, if he stayed at Northwestern he had the starting spot . So I think he’s coming to play .
A lot of people forget dukes 4-deep post in 09/10, sure older but also not as much raw talent as the 4 guys combined today. Will be interesting.

Reactions: sheyduke
50/50 Keels comes back? I'll take those odds.
To me Keels is the most NBA ready out of all of them . He can bully his way to the basket and score . Finish through contact. Make big shots off the dribble. Gets after it defensively . I don’t see how he comes back. He’s a 1st round pick.

I don't think Keels has that one NBA skill (like Griffin does) or NBA athleticism (again like Griffin does). I am no NBA expert but I don't think Keels is a guy an NBA team wants to take in the top 30 right now compared to the many great athletes we see during the season.

If Keels comes back and gets that shot down, I think he could be a top 20 pick next year. Depends on where he wants to work on that shot, in the G league or at Duke. Probably makes more money at Duke but would have to deal with those pesky classes.

We need another shooter one way or the other. If Keels waits until the deadline to decide and goes, then we need a guy who will wait that long to transfer in. Hopefully all the good guys are not gone by then. Keels returning is the best case scenario. But by the end of May most of the good transfers will have decided. Sounds like Mosely is waiting on Keels and the Kansas guards, so it may come down to us and Kansas for Mosley.

Banchero is the only guy I'd bet money on playing in the NBA in 5 years. Mark probably. AJ has talent, but was wildly inconsistent and was completely shut down in the Final Four by guards not good enough to enter the draft. AJ also has some injury concerns. Moore seems like a second round toss up to me. Keels as well. Keels seems like a guy who should stay 2 years and then go pro.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Banchero is the only guy I'd bet money on playing in the NBA in 5 years. Mark probably. AJ has talent, but was wildly inconsistent and was completely shut down in the Final Four by guards not good enough to enter the draft. Moore seems like a second round toss up to me. Keels as well.
AJ is a teenager who had not been able to play ball for two years before he got to Duke and who missed the early part of the season at Duke with another injury. Freshmen under the best of circumstances are wildly inconsistent, but he has the body, the iq and shooting form to have a career in the NBA.

Reactions: sheyduke
Banchero is the only guy I'd bet money on playing in the NBA in 5 years. Mark probably. AJ has talent, but was wildly inconsistent and was completely shut down in the Final Four by guards not good enough to enter the draft. AJ also has some injury concerns. Moore seems like a second round toss up to me. Keels as well. Keels seems like a guy who should stay 2 years and then go pro.
It all depends on which team they land with. If Williams get picked by Charlotte( which I hope he does) he will be in the league for atleast four years . I think all will have a good NBA Career and many on here forget heading into this year AJ( prior to getting another injury) was a top five pick and he’s still projected lottery. Look at the teams that are out of the play offs and I can name at least three that I would say Keels and Moore can help

Reactions: bullcity gamer
It depends on which Moore they get. The first semester Moore looked like a late first round pick. The second semester Moore looked like a G League guy. (That is not an insult there are a lot of good guys in the G league) And AJ needs to prove he can stay healthy. But AJ is lottery so he made the right decision.

Yeah but that's comparing him to a walk on. He'd better be light years ahead, and I'm sure he is. The question is, can he contribute like Theo or even more? Because Lively and Flip aren't going to be Paolo and Mark. Hope I'm wrong on that.
thinking the exact same thing...i think he will get more burn than theo

Theo was somewhat limited by injury issues. Young can potentially play more minutes if needed.

Theo was somewhat limited by injury issues. Young can potentially play more minutes if needed.
Also, while I think Theo John was a bully and decent shot blocker, he only averaged 2.8 ppg and 2.5 rpg. I know he didn't play a lot of minutes, but I think Young can give us more offense. I just don't see him as the tough paint presence that Theo was.

Kees has a lot of work to do but I can see someone liking his potential. It wouldn’t shock me to see him return as we said.

As for Young, I think he’s what we needed for depth. I hate the comparisons to Theo but I get why fans want to compare him to Theo. Young fills a leadership and depth role for us. If we can get 10 min out of him every game to help Flip and Lively that’s what we need.

Kees has a lot of work to do but I can see someone liking his potential. It wouldn’t shock me to see him return as we said.

As for Young, I think he’s what we needed for depth. I hate the comparisons to Theo but I get why fans want to compare him to Theo. Young fills a leadership and depth role for us. If we can get 10 min out of him every game to help Flip and Lively that’s what we need.
Agreed on the Young versus Theo comparison, I just did a "comparison" because they can play the same leadership role and the same back up center spot.

It depends on which Moore they get. The first semester Moore looked like a late first round pick. The second semester Moore looked like a G League guy. (That is not an insult there are a lot of good guys in the G league) And AJ needs to prove he can stay healthy. But AJ is lottery so he made the right decision.
We are basing this off Mock drafts with our individual work outs and the camps . A lot will come to light once they have been through those processes .

Chris I think you are selling Duke and the guys a little short. I think all 5 of these guys will play in the nba.

Banchero: Highly skilled
Williams: Shot Blocker, great defender, can run the floor
Griffin: Heck of a 3 point shooter/slasher
Moore: Can be a 3 & D Guy
Keels: Can see him having a Gary Trent type of arsenal

the reason I say you are selling Duke short in this instance is that I think Duke does a tremendous job in preparing their players for the league. Some examples of players who were prepared and are spending/spent some time when critics were saying they wouldn’t make it:

Frank Jackson
Lance Thomas
Marshall Plumlee
Quinn Cook
Seth Curry
Miles Plumlee
Grayson Allen
Gary Trent Jr.

Last edited:
Maybe, but AJ does have injury concerns. Keels and Moore could go either way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT