ADVERTISEMENT

Good read on Flip

Mar 8, 2023

“You guys are talking s*** to me while you’re watching me play. You’re spending your money to watch me beat your a**. It’s very entertaining for me.” What a quote.

I hope we go back to Virginia this season so he can get revenge on them too.

Also, these were all quotes from the Brotherhood Podcast that Ryan Young is hosting.

While I know some Duke players do bring hatred from opposing fan bases on themselves with some of the things they do (see JJ and Grayson), but I have heard vitriol for Hurley, Laettner, Scheyer (playing days), Wojo, Singler, Paulus, etc... and now Flip? The man got cheap shot after cheap shot and finally, FINALLY, vs Miami, a ref called something.

But other than Battier (which I can see for his reputation for taking chargers), there was next level hate only directed to certain types of players. For instance, I did not care very much for some of Jones' antics, but I do not recall vitriol from opposing fans.

Not trying to start a debate, but always found that odd. Maybe i am not remembering correctly...

While I know some Duke players do bring hatred from opposing fan bases on themselves with some of the things they do (see JJ and Grayson), but I have heard vitriol for Hurley, Laettner, Scheyer (playing days), Wojo, Singler, Paulus, etc... and now Flip? The man got cheap shot after cheap shot and finally, FINALLY, vs Miami, a ref called something.

But other than Battier (which I can see for his reputation for taking chargers), there was next level hate only directed to certain types of players. For instance, I did not care very much for some of Jones' antics, but I do not recall vitriol from opposing fans.

Not trying to start a debate, but always found that odd. Maybe i am not remembering correctly...

Part of it has been racial (picking out a white guy that the media and/or opposing fans can look at as "entitled" or "privileged" no matter how false; and part of it is just taking their jealousy out on one or two guys who if they were on their team, they'd love them.

If I were a hated Duke player, I would wear it as a badge of honor, following in the shoes of Duke greats like Laettner, Wojo, Hurley, JJ and Grayson.

Part of it has been racial (picking out a white guy that the media and/or opposing fans can look at as "entitled" or "privileged" no matter how false; and part of it is just taking their jealousy out on one or two guys who if they were on their team, they'd love them.

If I were a hated Duke player, I would wear it as a badge of honor, following in the shoes of Duke greats like Laettner, Wojo, Hurley, JJ and Grayson.

Yep... it's not an accident.

The perception is that Duke is full of one percenters... even the basketball team.

And who are one percenters? Rich white people.

That gets projected onto white players at Duke. They're scapegoats of convenience.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II

“You guys are talking s*** to me while you’re watching me play. You’re spending your money to watch me beat your a**. It’s very entertaining for me.” What a quote.

I hope we go back to Virginia this season so he can get revenge on them too.

Also, these were all quotes from the Brotherhood Podcast that Ryan Young is hosting.
I like this...

All the players you mentioned were white. It's no coincidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT