ADVERTISEMENT

3-point shooting thus far in the Tournament

And going back a little further, Zion is 7 of 15 from 3 since he's been back from the injury. We also shot well from 3 against Syracuse in the ACCT. We're not a great 3 point shooting team, but we're capable. UCF packed it in tight and dared us, and we responded pretty well.

OFC

And going back a little further, Zion is 7 of 15 from 3 since he's been back from the injury. We also shot well from 3 against Syracuse in the ACCT. We're not a great 3 point shooting team, but we're capable. UCF packed it in tight and dared us, and we responded pretty well.

OFC

Exactly

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
My preference would be for Duke to pound the ball inside to open games and try to build a lead and use that to open up three point shooting. We tend to start taking bad threes when we are only up 1-4 points or so. I'd like to see us extend to 8 and start shooting.

Similar note, Is it just me or does Cam shoot way better when the game is on the line? I think it has to do with him not thinking about it anymore at that point.

Reactions: DUKEFEDFAN
My preference would be for Duke to pound the ball inside to open games and try to build a lead and use that to open up three point shooting. We tend to start taking bad threes when we are only up 1-4 points or so. I'd like to see us extend to 8 and start shooting.

Similar note, Is it just me or does Cam shoot way better when the game is on the line? I think it has to do with him not thinking about it anymore at that point.

There is an interesting stat about Cam’s 3 point shooting when Duke is trailing and away from home. He’s a better 3 point shooter in those situations. Remember, we don’t win without his 3 before Zion and RJ’s heroics!

Opponents are going to block the inside game as best they can and leave Tre open for 3's. We need to get some other people outside for the 3's. It will be easier not have a 7'6" guy under the basket.

Reactions: Quavarius
The genius of Dawkins adjustment was that he put Tacko on Tre so there was no way we were going to get him out of the lane unless Tre suddenly turned into a 3pt shooter.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Reddish shoots 1038472928273% better when he’s moving. RJ is actually good 3PT shooter, he just forces it too often.

If we can keep Cam MOVING and RJ selectively choosing his 3’s, we’re fine!

Tre is a horrendous shooter outside of him we are not that bad especially on open looks. If tre would just stick to his driving and midrange game I think we have a chance to be scary on offense the rest of the year.

I really don't mind Tre shooting 2-4 threes a game. I am sure the staff is telling him to shoot them when open, and who knows, maybe he is knocking them down in practice. But he seems to have really rediscovered his midrange and drive game over the past few weeks. I would love to see him attack and pull up for 10 footer instead of putting up 8 threes and going 1-8.

Just some armchair QB stuff.

I have a feeling Tre is going to keep shooting, and that the staff has told him to do so. What we can't have from him is what happened to Jack White - where his confidence shooting it goes to 0. Jack was nearly un-playable for a stretch. Tre gives us other things, but if he a Goldwire are both out there and neither will even look at a shot from deep, we will have a hard time scoring. Tre has to take (and make) those shots or we cannot get past some of the better teams that are left. I don't think he needs to shoot 8 of them. But if he can go 2 for 4 or 5 on wide open looks, that's enough to open things up.

We can't be so bad that the other team just decides to guard only RJ and Zion. When Tre, Goldwire, and Javin are all there we just don't have enough guys that you have to guard. This is one of the reasons it's critical Cam stay out of foul trouble. If he hadn't had to sit so long, they couldn't have used that YMCA defense so effectively.

I gotta think they will try some zone. Even UNC who we assumed was too prideful to do it tried it the second game and we actually shot them out of it immediately. Crazy to think.

I have a feeling Tre is going to keep shooting, and that the staff has told him to do so. What we can't have from him is what happened to Jack White - where his confidence shooting it goes to 0. Jack was nearly un-playable for a stretch. Tre gives us other things, but if he a Goldwire are both out there and neither will even look at a shot from deep, we will have a hard time scoring. Tre has to take (and make) those shots or we cannot get past some of the better teams that are left. I don't think he needs to shoot 8 of them. But if he can go 2 for 4 or 5 on wide open looks, that's enough to open things up.
Tre is Jekyll and Hide here. Sometimes he'll hesitate and sometimes not. His confidence is somewhere in the middle right now.

I think the biggest issue with our 3 ball is that bad three point shooters are shooting it so much more than they should..

More than half of our three point attempts this year have been taken by players shooting less than 32% from three.. no reason those players should be shooting more threes than the “good” three point shooters..

I think the biggest issue with our 3 ball is that bad three point shooters are shooting it so much more than they should..

More than half of our three point attempts this year have been taken by players shooting less than 32% from three.. no reason those players should be shooting more threes than the “good” three point shooters..

That’s it. We have capable guys they just don’t shoot it in the same volume as tre

Ok. A couple of observations.

they were not even guarding Tre and Goldwire at the 3 point line. And they were letting Zion shoot from there at will also. so those stats area bit misleading.

Tre should be driving the basketball and getting the defense to make a move on him and then hit his pull up or floater -- or make a pass. he was doing this quite well until the second half.

every time we were shooting a 3 we were playing in to their hands by sparing potential fouls on Taco. we should have been driving the ball right at him the entire second half. this is finally what Zion started doing late in the game.

we need to play inside first - then out.

Reactions: PixelDevil
Ok. A couple of observations.

they were not even guarding Tre and Goldwire at the 3 point line. And they were letting Zion shoot from there at will also. so those stats area bit misleading.

Tre should be driving the basketball and getting the defense to make a move on him and then hit his pull up or floater -- or make a pass. he was doing this quite well until the second half.

every time we were shooting a 3 we were playing in to their hands by sparing potential fouls on Taco. we should have been driving the ball right at him the entire second half. this is finally what Zion started doing late in the game.

we need to play inside first - then out.

*whispers* UCF is not the first team to dare Duke to shoot from 3.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Here’s a quote from Tre about the game:
“The whole team was telling me that (to shoot) and all the coaches were telling me that, But I mean, I feel like I let them down by not hitting that. But next time the opportunity is there, I’ll definitely be ready to take those shots.”

I feel like it’s fate that he hits a huge 3 for us somewhere down the line.

Here’s a quote from Tre about the game:
“The whole team was telling me that (to shoot) and all the coaches were telling me that, But I mean, I feel like I let them down by not hitting that. But next time the opportunity is there, I’ll definitely be ready to take those shots.”

I feel like it’s fate that he hits a huge 3 for us somewhere down the line.

That’s alarming that they tell him that :eek::eek:

Reactions: PixelDevil
The thing that scares me is that we shot very well yesterday for us especially if you takes tre’s attempts out of it and we still barely beat UCF. I know ucf had the game of their lives against us but it still concerns me a little

The thing that scares me is that we shot very well yesterday for us especially if you takes tre’s attempts out of it and we still barely beat UCF. I know ucf had the game of their lives against us but it still concerns me a little

But if you take tres attempts out we get a different shot

The problem appears to me to be not that Duke can't make a 3. It is that the 3 is often the last resort. It is not a weapon that they confdently pull out of the sheath to open up the driving lane. Almost all the major players on the team seem to swallow real hard before launching. The exception is Reddish, who, as an analyst mentions above, is really deadly when the game is tied or Duke is behind.

If Reddish or AOC or even Baker could ever be used successfully as 3 point shooters earlier as a weapon this team is almost unbeatable. As it is, competitive teams know their best chance of winning is to stay back and pack their defence in close to the basket. But more than just packing it back in, a key competitive weapon is to make guys who are not, at this point in their careers reliable 3 point shooters, to take the 3.

Against UCF, Tre Jones took more 3's than anyone. He was 1-8. Reddish and Barrett and AOC (if he gets inthe game), need to shoot the buk of the 3's earlier and often..

Last edited:
Our 3 point shooting...wasn’t....the...only thing to get exposed lately....hahaha :rolleyes:

While other teams have dared Tre to shoot, no one else will be able to do it like UCF did. When Cam got in foul trouble and the lineup was Goldwire, Tre, Javin, RJ, and Zion, they put Tacko on Tre. When Tre had the ball, he was just close enough that if Tre decided to step into a midrange jumper, he could challenge it but they were going to let him shoot the 3. That meant Tacko was never in danger of coming away from the basket or being beaten by his man. RJ and Zion were our only threats to score and they would have to beat their own man and then deal with Tacko at the rim. I think the only tactical adjustment we could've made would have been to actually move Tre down into the post, let RJ and Zion drive, then pass to Tre for layups when Tacko came over to help.

Having said all that, no one else can run that defense quite like UCF did because no one else has someone who's 7'6".

If VT goes zone we've got to move Cam around & not plant him in one spot. AOC must see a few mins just to stretch the defense.

If VT goes zone we've got to move Cam around & not plant him in one spot. AOC must see a few mins just to stretch the defense.
I feel like them going zone would be advantageous for us. We are a really solid offensive rebounding teams and they lack length. I do get the premise but nothing to me changes. As long as we aren’t settling for 3s we can do work against this team on that end. If our defense shows up the way it normally does, we win this game and I’m getting more confident by the day here. Let’s go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT