ADVERTISEMENT

28 years ago today... The Shot

bullettoothtony

All American
Mar 29, 2010
Where were you?

I was a sophomore on campus. We were getting ready to go to Chapel Hill to eat lunch, then come back and start pre-gaming. But when I got out of the shower, I found that my father had left a voicemail.

Turns out my maternal grandfather had passed away.

By the time I got my stuff together, traveled, and made it to my grandmother's, the game had started.

Made it to an uncle's house by the end of the 1st half.

I think you know what happened from there.

Unforgettable day. How about you?

Sitting in my living room and then 6 year son. He didn't really have a good concept of Duke basketball but knew it was important to me so he was a Duke fan too. He's 34 now and is a big Duke fan and now has a great concept of Duke basketball. For those of you who don't post here he is DukeSky85. I think we are the only father son who post on DI OFC

18 year old Senior in High School. My three best friends and I watched the game at my friends grandfather’s house.

Not going too much in depth but my pessimistic friend looked over at me and said “it’s over” after Woods hit his shot. I looked back at him with tears in my eyes and conviction in my heart and said “we are going to win”.

Of course you can imagine the pandemonium when Laettner delivered. Having a kid and an accomplished career through the years it’s still top 5 all time greatest moments of my life.

You “youngins” just don’t know. I wish you did.

Watching in the living room of my childhood home with my father. It was absolutely experiencing the two far ends of the emotional spectrum in a short period of time. Being gutted by the Woods shot, then moments later watching the greatest play in college basketball history.

13 years old, in between games at a hockey tourney in Canada. Tried catching it in the rink between games but actually missed the shot.

Side note: @patrick Yates missed it because his time, even then, was too valuable.

I was 39 years old and in my bedroom (wife & kids long gone). I've told this many times before on here, but after Woods hits that prayer (over Laettner's fingertips), looked to see how much time was left on the clock (2.1 seconds...plenty for Mr. Clutch). I started screaming 'Just get the f***ing ball to Laettner' over and over. When he caught that great pass from Grant, he started his moves then turned to fire his jumper...the ball hadn't much more than left his hands when I jumped up and started screaming 'GAME'...'cause I knew no way in hell was Christian Laettner missing that shot with the game on the line. He inspired that type of confidence, and I've never been that sure of any player since. The line for greatest players in Duke basketball history starts behind Christian Laettner. Never has been anyone like him, and never will. What a game, what a team!

rjAfiGr.jpg

OFC

I was 9. And already a damn nut when it came to the games. We had a family BBQ going on that day on my mom's side of the family. It would be at my great-grandpa's pond and they didn't have television there. So I begged to stay at my grandparents house (dad's parents), so that I could watch the game. They didn't care for basketball all that much so I was relegated to the back bedroom, (only other room in the house with a TV), that no one was suppose to sit on the bed in. I destroyed that room during that game. Bed sheets and pillows laid everywhere, grandma was beside herself, and my grandpa said I was crazy as I ran all throughout the house screaming after the shot went in. Eventually, I dropped to my knees in tears and exhaustion. I'll never forget it.

I was 39 years old and in my bedroom (wife & kids long gone). I've told this many times before on here, but after Woods hits that prayer (over Laettner's fingertips), looked to see how much time was left on the clock (2.1 seconds...plenty for Mr. Clutch). I started screaming 'Just get the f***ing ball to Laettner' over and over. When he caught that great pass from Grant, he started his moves then turned to fire his jumper...the ball hadn't much more than left his hands when I jumped up and started screaming 'GAME'...'cause I knew no way in hell was Christian Laettner missing that shot with the game on the line. He inspired that type of confidence, and I've never been that sure of any player since. The line for greatest players in Duke basketball history starts behind Christian Laettner. Never has been anyone like him, and never will. What a game, what a team!

rjAfiGr.jpg

OFC
Those that didn’t get to watch him missed out on the cockiest, annoying, bad a** to ever play for Duke. No disrespect to the rest of the guys, but you’re right Dirt. The line forms behind Christian. And there’s a gap.

Watched at home (parent's house at the time) in my room. There were some people over making a racket up front. I paced, moaned, and lamented when Wood's shot went in and then gathered myself for the final 2.1. I remember jumping up and down and whooping it up jogging in the hall after it went in. It's still the most exhilarating sports moment I've ever experienced. They broke the mold with Laett. I'm just glad he was on Duke's side.

Last edited:
Those that didn’t get to watch him missed out on the cockiest, annoying, bad a** to ever play for Duke. No disrespect to the rest of the guys, but you’re right Dirt. The line forms behind Christian. And there’s a gap.

The dude hit TWO buzzer beaters to put us in two Final Fours.

Who does that??? What are the odds that someone would even be in that position twice, much less come through both times?

The dude hit TWO buzzer beaters to put us in two Final Fours.

Who does that??? What are the odds that someone would even be in that position twice, much less come through both times?
I have often wondered if missing those free throws his freshman season in that big matchup with Arizona motivated him to what we wound up witnessing.

I was 10 and it was during our spring break. My family was driving to Florida and we were listening on the radio. When Woods hit his shot, I remember my older brother sobbing, and I was just confused and then sad. The radio comes back late and Laettner is hitting his shot...my dad, brother, and I went ape shit. And we were driving through Kentucky at the time. It was perfect (minus not getting to watch it on tv).

I was 8 years old and had became a Duke fan the year before watching Hurley and Laettner. My mom and dad had a ton of people over for the game. Everybody was for Kentucky because we are from Paintsville Ky where John Pelphrey is from.

I remember when Sean Woods hit that shot everybody went wild except for me. I thought the game was over , but was going to watch it through. When Christian hit that shot I jumped up and yelled and everyone in the room was in shock, and then turned their attention to me, like they all were planning to murder a 8 year old boy to take out their frustration lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT