ADVERTISEMENT

2010 NCAA Championship on CBS RIGHT NOW

He was certainly playing with fire, but as you can hear the announcers say Butler had no timeouts and they wanted Zoub’s to make it. Why do something your opponent wants you to do? Make them uncomfortable. If he makes it, they have 3.6 seconds left to go to a home run play since they have no TO. If Butler makes a 3 and it goes into overtime, Butler could ride that momentum to a victory.

But Zoub’s missing and forcing them to scramble doesn’t afford them the opportunity to get organized. Had Gordon’s shot go over the backboard or misses the goal altogether, I don’t think anyone questions K’s strategy. But since it “almost” went in, some will question it. In the end, it doesn’t matter because K’s strategy worked as he was rolling the dice on a win. He wasn’t playing “not to lose” that day or not often in his career. Since we’re not IN the game, we have a different feel than the people involved with the game. IIRC, we had a lot of players (Zoub’s being one) with foul trouble. Why possibly take it into overtime under those conditions?

This was the 2nd Duke game I ever attended, the first being one of the worst Duke losses ever, the 02 IU Sweet 16 loss. Our seats had a perfect view towards the backboard on Hayward's shot, it looked like it was going in.

That game was a war, it was tight the whole time. Once Hayward's shot missed, everyone had to let out a huge exhale before celebrating. It's still tough to watch IMO, I always think both of Haywards final shots are going in.

This was the 2nd Duke game I ever attended, the first being one of the worst Duke losses ever, the 02 IU Sweet 16 loss. Our seats had a perfect view towards the backboard on Hayward's shot, it looked like it was going in.

That game was a war, it was tight the whole time. Once Hayward's shot missed, everyone had to let out a huge exhale before celebrating. It's still tough to watch IMO, I always think both of Haywards final shots are going in.
I still haven’t watched this game from start to finish bc of the level of stress.

I forgot just how much I loved that team. Sheyer and Singler are my all time favorites. Thomas was just what Coach K said he was--a warrior. Two hard fouls that told Butler, nothing is coming easy! The amount of clutching and grabbing by both teams made it a rugby game, but a fair fight.

My feeling about the last play was Coach K wanted to control the outcome. Zoub was a 60% foul shooter who just made the first and was probably 50/50 on the second. If Duke knew the outcome of the second shot, then it had an advantage over Butler which did not. Only a near perfect play by Heyward made it worth discussing. If Butler threw the ball away we'd forget the entire play.

Reactions: Quavarius
I forgot just how much I loved that team. Sheyer and Singler are my all time favorites. Thomas was just what Coach K said he was--a warrior. Two hard fouls that told Butler, nothing is coming easy! The amount of clutching and grabbing by both teams made it a rugby game, but a fair fight.

My feeling about the last play was Coach K wanted to control the outcome. Zoub was a 60% foul shooter who just made the first and was probably 50/50 on the second. If Duke knew the outcome of the second shot, then it had an advantage over Butler which did not. Only a near perfect play by Heyward made it worth discussing. If Butler threw the ball away we'd forget the entire play.

Krzyzewski probably wasn't expecting Howard to get away with a moving screen.

Agreed!

This team was mentally tough as they played close games all year. I like the sub rotation that year with a pretty athletic front line. I didn't get the opportunity to go to any of the NCAA tournament games but was at the ACC tournament.

Reactions: Quavarius
We were so good at guarding ball screens. Amazing how a team with a slow footed center and lacking elite athleticism overall could help and recover so well.

It was my favorite national championship team for sure. OFC

I won't call it my favorite because all five carry a special sentiment in my heart, but I definitely get what you're saying.

Some people forget how tough it was during those few years prior to 2010. Now, many rival fans wouldn't feel sorry for us at all because of Duke's past success....but it was still hard. Our recruiting had slipped and UNC was on a high. Watching us struggle while UNC thrived from 2007 to 2009 was hard to stomach. Then, in November of 2009 when Barnes made his decision and picked UNC? It just about sent some people over the edge. Nothing was going right.

Then the 2009-10 season started. We were good....but I think each of questioned if we were 'championship' good. By March we clearly were, but we also know how one turnover, one sequence, or even one half court heave can change a season.

That group brought Duke basketball back to the forefront....even though they never really left. Think about it....two 2,000-point scorers and another in Nolan over 1,900. Do-it-all guys like Zoubs and Lance, then a bench thin in numbers but large in ingredients. It really was and will always be a special group....at a time when most Duke basketball fans needed it most.

In some ways, our 2010 team was a lot like UNC's 2017 group. A lot of really talented college players, but largely void of big time NBA talent.

Duke was rolling when Tyler committed to UNC. Did Duke pursue him and take McRoberts instead?

Duke was rolling when Tyler committed to UNC. Did Duke pursue him and take McRoberts instead?

We recruited Hansbrough, but I think the feeling was that they preferred McRoberts and he was more likely to come. The really big miss that year was when Jon Brockman spurned us for Washington. Brockman would have made Duke a completely different team from 2007 to 2009. He rebounded everything.

Reactions: dukehokie
We recruited Hansbrough, but I think the feeling was that they preferred McRoberts and he was more likely to come. The really big miss that year was when Jon Brockman spurned us for Washington. Brockman would have made Duke a completely different team from 2007 to 2009. He rebounded everything.

what about kris Humphries what was that all about

Brockman would've definitely made a huge difference.

what about kris Humphries what was that all about

He was actually two years before McRoberts and Brockman. But as someone said above, mainly his dad. K let him out of his LOI and he had a season with the Gophers and put up ridiculous numbers....but didn't win at all. They found what they were looking for at Minnesota.

It's a shame, too....guy was ridiculously talented, but a lot about himself. I'm sure he doesn't have any regrets, though. He went on to having a relatively productive NBA career, married Kim Kardashian for about 70 days and became somewhat of a reality TV star....at least for a while. He's also a pretty successful entrepreneur.

Reactions: dukehokie
He was actually two years before McRoberts and Brockman. But as someone said above, mainly his dad. K let him out of his LOI and he had a season with the Gophers and put up ridiculous numbers....but didn't win at all. They found what they were looking for at Minnesota.

It's a shame, too....guy was ridiculously talented, but a lot about himself. I'm sure he doesn't have any regrets, though. He went on to having a relatively productive NBA career, married Kim Kardashian for about 70 days and became somewhat of a reality TV star....at least for a while. He's also a pretty successful entrepreneur.

oh I knew he was earlier just never was sure about what all happened

And there will be no undefeated champion! On Wisconsin right into Duke and another L.

They also posted it on youtube a couple days ago. I was really excited for that since the full game had been removed from there awhile back for whatever reason.
Thank you for mentioning this. Turning it on right now.

Reactions: MyDudeG
This team is a textbook example of chemistry and balance. We lost Henderson and Williams, our two most athletic players. Scheyer ended up being a big upgrade from what Williams probably would have given us as he almost never turned the ball over. Zoubek was a load once he was in good enough condition to stay on the court and the Plumlee brothers were perfect off the bench. Thomas played his role well (and was able to because we had 3 consistent scorers)and Singler was like Battier, giving us a bit of everything. Smith had a great senior season as well. Great team.

Watching the game right now. Duke’s out of bounds plays underneath the basket were textbook, it seems like Duke scores every time they took the ball out of bounds. What a tough & selfless team!!

Yes watching the replay again now. This team just battled and found a way to get it done. Such a physical game and the toughness by both teams was unreal

Our offensive sets are so amazing..Everyone needs to watch this game and how they are running off screens. We never stop and there is just so much continual movement.

I wish K would get back to this..it’s awesome!

Reactions: KDSTONE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT