ADVERTISEMENT

10 shots for Duke's bigs is not enough

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
Jefferson, Giles and Bolden got only 10 shots yesterday.
I believe the 4 bigs for UNC got 25.
Just wish Duke would go inside more to establish a post game and then kick it out for open 3.
Beat FSU and then UNC and maybe they do go on another run.
I just cannot see Duke beating either team without 2 bigs on the floor more than 10-15 minutes.
I know you start Jones, Allen, Kennard, Jefferson and Tatum for last game but going forward
I think bringing Jones, Allen and Bolden in after 4-5 minutes to play with Tatum and Kennard would help with bench scoring.
Heck against a team that doesn't play pressure defense I would even go big with Tatum at the 2, Kennard, Giles, Jefferson and Bolden. But then again when I coached 25 teams for my son I would use box and 1 and triangle and 2 In many games. Would have tried that with Jackson or Jones on hot pt guard for Syracuse.
Pressure will be on UNC Saturday not to let streak go to 3-13 versus Duke.

Maybe we are all grasping for straws because we are frustrated. Our bigs totaled 6 points against a Miami team that lacks bigs. Our bigs against any team should average on a bad night 10 plus points. Who knows guys this same team beat NC who have great bigs.

I'm just glad he let the freshman bigs play. They do us no good on the bench. We may lose the game but they gain experience. Definitely need to feed the post more. That's how u get fouls on the other bigs and in the bonus quicker

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
You noticed Bolden's post offense right? There will be no developing that by shoving him into games. He's not strong enough with the ball to do anything; I think his one or two fga per game are fine. Giles and Amile could use more touches, I agree, especially when we're cold. I have my fingers crossed somehow this all comes together. We're best when we pass the rock well. We suck when we go one on one. We really suck when we allow easy penetration.

You noticed Bolden's post offense right? There will be no developing that by shoving him into games. He's not strong enough with the ball to do anything; I think his one or two fga per game are fine. Giles and Amile could use more touches, I agree, especially when we're cold. I have my fingers crossed somehow this all comes together. We're best when we pass the rock well. We suck when we go one on one. We really suck when we allow easy penetration.

Bolden is there for defense this year so you're right when u say he only need 2-3 fgas. Amile and Giles should both get between 5 and 10 post touches a game. Now next year Bolden might be the truth

Reactions: DukeDenver
I just find it amazing that we have no bigs that can knock down a 10-15 footer around the rim. I have always said we needed 2 bigs playing at the same time with Tatum at his natural position the SF.

I just find it amazing that we have no bigs that can knock down a 10-15 footer around the rim. I have always said we needed 2 bigs playing at the same time with Tatum at his natural position the SF.
I think coach K might agree with you, problem is we only have 2 bigs that are up to speed and both have lower leg issues. We can't trot them out there at the same time and get 30 mpg from each. I think Harry can hit 12 foot jumpers.

Comparing our offense to others we seem to really struggle to make the entry pass into the post or to our bigs. Watching KS, AZ, UCLA and even Baylor yesterday - they all seemed to have an easier time getting the ball inside. Whether this is to do with mindset or offensive structure i have no idea. But we do seem to struggle to get the ball to them in good position which limits their production

Comparing our offense to others we seem to really struggle to make the entry pass into the post or to our bigs. Watching KS, AZ, UCLA and even Baylor yesterday - they all seemed to have an easier time getting the ball inside. Whether this is to do with mindset or offensive structure i have no idea. But we do seem to struggle to get the ball to them in good position which limits their production

Every one of those teams you named have true point guards. We have guards with scorers' mentalities. Looking at how we play I'm not sure we run drills where guards feed the post.

The one thing that UNC people say that is true (the only thing) is Duke plays outside in and runs its offense through its guards. UNC runs its offense inside out and its post players see the ball a lot more. That's why Duke attracts so many high scoring guards.

Even in Mason Plumlee's years the guards looked him off a lot. I remember his sagging shoulders in the Lehigh game, a game where he didn't miss a shot but i think only took 7 of them. So maybe our bigs aren't the most offensively adept but they don't get many touches even if they are. It's just a fact.

The one thing that UNC people say that is true (the only thing) is Duke plays outside in and runs its offense through its guards. UNC runs its offense inside out and its post players see the ball a lot more. That's why Duke attracts so many high scoring guards.

Even in Mason Plumlee's years the guards looked him off a lot. I remember his sagging shoulders in the Lehigh game, a game where he didn't miss a shot but i think only took 7 of them. So maybe our bigs aren't the most offensively adept but they don't get many touches even if they are. It's just a fact.
Completely agree. I remember hearing a stat from 99 title game where I believe Brand only took I think, 1 shot last 7-8 minutes of game. He was the best player but an inside player. I said this on another post, that a good big man recruit will thrive better with Tar Holes as far as touches than one that plays off blocks at Duke. Sad but true. A wing or guard will do better at Duke

Every one of those teams you named have true point guards. We have guards with scorers' mentalities. Looking at how we play I'm not sure we run drills where guards feed the post.

I sort of agree...a specialized PG would be beneficial but all players can pass and getting one into a post should be a pass all players can make. I am sure Coach K, Capel and Scheyer can all run a drill or two to emphasize that entry pass. It has to be a priority though and as you mention our PG's and Wings are scorers first.

I sort of agree...a specialized PG would be beneficial but all players can pass and getting one into a post should be a pass all players can make. I am sure Coach K, Capel and Scheyer can all run a drill or two to emphasize that entry pass. It has to be a priority though and as you mention our PG's and Wings are scorers first.

Looks like they just don't want to throw the post players the ball. I've seen all of them get great position and the guard just looks at him and pass it around the 3 pt line. I blame Coach K for not enforcing it. I think Amile and Harry are pretty formidable in the post. Have to let them work though

In the 16 games before Amile's injury, he scored double figures in 13 of them. In the 11 games since he has returned, he has scored more than six points just 3 times. Is this because he is hobbled, or have we just gone away from dumping it inside?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT