ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Toying with our Emotions?

Go all-in with a face tattoo.

Mike-Tyson-Punches-Alan-Hangover.gif

everyone talks about kennard on this team, at least he is getting play with the pistons. what if trent jr was on this team this year?

I adore Zion but him coming back would be the worst career move since Tom Selleck not doing Indiana Jones.

I don't think there's any chance he's coming back but how exactly would it be a bad career move? We've seen plenty of players who were mocked high in the draft, return to school, and still get drafted around where they were originally thought to be. Marcus Smart and Miles Bridges to name a few. Did returning to school hurt Blake Griffin's career? I remember people saying that Lebron James was ruining his legacy by not staying at one team like Michael Jordan did. That was BS then and is even more BS now.

If anything, doing the absolute unthinkable, forging his own path, and going against conventional wisdom would probably sky rocket his fame and intrigue. One thing is for sure, if he announced he was coming back to Duke the amount of publicity he would get would be insane. That announcement alone would rival Lebron's 2010 Decision and result in sports talk shows spending hours upon hours debating.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Well ****, now he definitely isn’t coming back... he just did his first endorsement!

I don't think there's any chance he's coming back but how exactly would it be a bad career move? We've seen plenty of players who were mocked high in the draft, return to school, and still get drafted around where they were originally thought to be. Marcus Smart and Miles Bridges to name a few. Did returning to school hurt Blake Griffin's career? I remember people saying that Lebron James was ruining his legacy by not staying at one team like Michael Jordan did. That was BS then and is even more BS now.

If anything, doing the absolute unthinkable, forging his own path, and going against conventional wisdom would probably sky rocket his fame and intrigue. One thing is for sure, if he announced he was coming back to Duke the amount of publicity he would get would be insane. That announcement alone would rival Lebron's 2010 Decision and result in sports talk shows spending hours upon hours debating.

I agree he’s going number one whenever he’s available. He could break both legs and tear both knees and go number 1. His shoe deal will be worth more than 99.9% of what nba players make in a career. He can do what he wants. I’d take the money but he can become a legend before he ever plays a game

Reactions: smashmouth5
Would you rather have a junior Kennard or a freshman Gary Trent Jr or Trevon Duval? Would you rather have a senior Kennard or a freshman RJ Barrett or Cam Reddish?

I'd be willing to trade Gary Trent Jr for Kennard in 2018... and Cam for Kennard this year. Defense wouldn't be as strong this year, but with Tre, Zion, and Ques/Javin, I think we'd be alright. Offense would be unstoppable,.

Reactions: christophero
On the subject of Zion. Is there a time period a player has to declare intention to enter the NBA (as College or International player) to be eligible for the draft?

For example what if Zion wanted to avoid a toxic franchise and was willing to play another season at Duke to avoid them. So he could wait until the Draft order is decided.

He's got until April 21st to declare and May 29th is the withdrawal deadline. After that no coming back at all.

I'm guessing we hear something official Monday since all the award ceremonies will be over.

I'm not going to be the least bit disappointed if/when Zion declares for the NBA. But man.. I'm starting to get a feeling. The more I read about his actions on campus, a supposed deleted tweet of "unfinished business", the longer he waits to declare, how much he seems to love the college life.. I dunno. I mean, I do - he's going to declare. But.. if there was ever a #1 pick that looked like they may potentially stay in school, it's Zion.

Reactions: pisgah101
Whatever makes him the happiest. I just think it is a shame that our society defines that for him and others in his situation.

I'm not going to be the least bit disappointed if/when Zion declares for the NBA. But man.. I'm starting to get a feeling. The more I read about his actions on campus, a supposed deleted tweet of "unfinished business", the longer he waits to declare, how much he seems to love the college life.. I dunno. I mean, I do - he's going to declare. But.. if there was ever a #1 pick that looked like they may potentially stay in school, it's Zion.
Don't do this to yourself, bro.

I really feel like Wendell struggled with his decision last year and ultimately realized there was too much upside to leaving, and he had a much stronger argument to stay than Zion. The fact that Zion may or may not be even considering staying should speak volumes of both him and Duke.

Reactions: Mpm277

The deleted tweet? Where’d you hear that and what’s he doing on campus

I think you were pretty obviously referring to the OAD era with your comment, but I still think it's interesting to think about the presumed #1 picks who came back. Shaq played three years of college ball. He would have been the #1 pick (ahead of Larry Johnson) after his sophomore year, I presume.

Ralph Sampson played all four years for Virginia. He probably would have been selected #1 after his sophomore year (ahead of Mark Aguirre) or after his junior year (ahead of James Worthy).

Any chance he declares for the draft and after May 16th lottery selection he decides he doesn’t want to play for team w first pick? Would not surprise me if Lakers win lottery with only a 1-2 percent chance.

Any chance he declares for the draft and after May 16th lottery selection he decides he doesn’t want to play for team w first pick? Would not surprise me if Lakers win lottery with only a 1-2 percent chance.
The lottery is on May 14th.
The deadline to remove your name from the draft is May 31.
So yes...If the Phoenix Suns land the top pick, Zion should come back. They are a joke and is not where Zion needs to be.

I would not want the Knicks or Cleveland. . Tough NY fans and that franchise is in bad shape.
Atlanta w Young and Collins or Dallas w Luka would be good spots. Maybe AD would stay if Pelicans won the pick. MJ would like to showcase him w Walker.
Kobe got to choose his team. What not Zion?

I would not want the Knicks or Cleveland. . Tough NY fans and that franchise is in bad shape.
Atlanta w Young and Collins or Dallas w Luka would be good spots. Maybe AD would stay if Pelicans won the pick. MJ would like to showcase him w Walker.
Kobe got to choose his team. What not Zion?
I think Zion wants NY and that would be the best story.
KD is going to NY barring something crazy happening. Good chance they land Kyrie too.
It's not for sure...but there is a world where next year the Knicks have KD, Kyrie, and Zion. That would be the biggest NBA story since the Lebron, Wade, Bosh Heat team. They also would be one of the favorites to win the title.

Atlanta would probably be the 2nd best place for him to land. They have other good young players and also the Mavericks 1st round pick (probably will be pick 5-7) AKA they could draft Zion AND Cam.

The lottery is on May 14th.
The deadline to remove your name from the draft is May 31.
So yes...If the Phoenix Suns land the top pick, Zion should come back. They are a joke and is not where Zion needs to be.

I thought he supposedly said something about wanting to be with the Suns?

The deleted tweet? Where’d you hear that and what’s he doing on campus
I saw a screenshot of a supposed deleted tweet from 4/12 that said "Unfinished business." but it could totally be fake (probably is).

As far as campus, just that he's been - by far - the most involved in campus life after returning from the Elite 8 than anyone. He goes and plays pick up ball with freshman at the gym every other day, he's still active in a lot of campus events and activities, etc. He makes a very noticeable effort to participate in campus life. Likely just means he loves college and is trying to soak it all in before it's all gone.

I thought he supposedly said something about wanting to be with the Suns?
I didn't see that. I mean...he's not gonna "bash" any team, that's just not smart PR.
But if you look at everything objectively, and any NBA analyst will say the same thing, the Suns are a terrible situation with no distinct direction. They have poor contracts, maybe the worst owner in the league, and took Ayton over Doncic/Bagley..Ayton looks like a huge misfire.
Their only good asset is Devon Booker, who is a gunner and doesn't play a lick of defense.
Plus they are in the Western conference.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. If he doesn't announce today his intentions. I'm sold on hes coming back

I know it’s prob just me ....but since the MSU loss and him also not getting the full UNC/Duke rivalry experience..I got this feeling..and maybe it’s because I don’t want him to leave...but can imagine the meltdown that would happen at RR and THR? He’s been known to do what he wants not what everyone else tells him..why not one more time?

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT