ADVERTISEMENT

Will we turn the corner?

Mac9192

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 25, 2017
Ive had time to think about the game today and initially I didn't think any of the loss was K's fault at all. Kennard and Tatum unfortunately shot the ball horrible, 10-36 between the 2 of them, and if you add Jones's 2-9, you have 3 starters that went 12-45. Want win with those stats for sure, and add the woeful shooting against Syracuse, and you see why Duke has dropped their last 2. A problem the last 2 games, and really all year, is lack of being able to slow down the other teams point guard. Gillan for Syracuse was amazing, then today Brown scored 25 of their 55, and did it with only 1 3 pointer.
In 2015, K put the team in zone to help them play better d, and to me that was a turning point. To question one of the greatest coaches ever, why not now?
I know our shooting has been very bad last 2 games but we're getting creamed by the other team's guard. Yes we need Allen, but in my opinion, this team needs some zone. It helped in 15, could it help now? A point guard today scored 22 of his 25 inside the 3 point line, and like I said his team only scored 55.

I just don't think we can turn the corner playing Swiss cheese defense like we have most of the year

Luke is an awful defender but has to be on the floor because he can score a bunch

If we are hitting 3s we can beat anyone but when we aren't hitting them we keep jacking them up anyway...don't try very often to get it to the post

Amile injury has him nowhere near where he was IMO

Tatum needs to drive more IMO but keeps settling for 3s and I don't understand it

Don't know why we don't try more zone when we get beat off the dribble consistently

Oh well just not our year

Not so sure I am leaning towards no. We are beyond Bolden's and Giles injuries and although it takes time to catch up to the speed and physicality of the college game were they not 5 star recruits and I can sympathize with Giles and his injuries. Frank is playing well and to be honest I don't mind him shooting the three but he has to limit his turnovers. I love Matt but sure he has the occasional steal and yes he hustles and grinds but I just don't like his offense too much. He rarely has put two straight games together shooting the ball. Most teams look bad when the shot is not going down an in our case our bigs can't make up for it.

To add to this and we also do not get easy buckets fir example Miami today probably had 10 points just driving to the basket as a bail out we don't have that.

I will not be expecting a turnaround this season hoping it softens the blow if they do exit quickly at the end, however I hope I'm totally shocked in 4 or 5 weeks from now. But right now I feel as though the only thing I will be cheering for is a UNC loss and a U.K. Loss. I have lost confidence in this particular team. It's not Coaches fault or no individual players fault. It's a team game and a team thang. They win and lose as a team.

We'll need to get hot from 3 to make a run. We can't ride Tatum's offense very far and our defense and passing haven't been elite all year. Winning at Cheater Hill would be enough for me to have a satisfied offseason. Go Duke!

Reactions: Showenuff
If they turn the corner what do you expect? A dominant team? A cohesive team?
I've coached for 30 years, albeit a different sport, and seen this play out before. We are less than the sum of our parts because it isnt a team. There are not defined roles and the chemistry isnt there. Hence weaker talented teams can beat us. Blame injuries, distractions or whatever...Its not a fist...its 5 fingers ...Coach K's own analogy. Its late in the season to think that this can be turned around. The best i hope for is that the talent finds a way to gut out 6 games in a row in March......but i wont be holding my breath.

I just can't see anyway this team could win 6 straight games with 5 of them being quality opponents

Hope I'm wrong though

K puts a lot of trust in the studs. Always has given them the green light. So part of the problem is the player and the shot selection. BUT K needs to put them in better spots right now. We need easier shots. Dribbling around and handing off on top of the key for a Tatum ISO or extremely tough Kennard drive repeatedly is a tough percentage. The more I think about it I'm sure I'm being tough on K as I see his frustration in the execution. Duke just isn't doing Duke things. Watching the batched under the basket in bounds or embarrassing fast breaks is plebty evidence of the struggle. K can't put his finger on it, non of us will.

I just feel the need to apologize on my harsh take on K after further thought. The last two end game situations really hurt my take on the future. Win the next two and will all be feeling much better

Love the program but not this team. Way to many holes on defense and we really struggle shooting the ball.

While I hope I am wrong, I don't see a meaningful (i.e. make the Final Four) turn around. Maybe the ACC is just so tough that we are basically going through Sweet 16 sort of matchups often, in conference, but...

Reactions: pisgah101
No. Looking at a second round loss in the NCAA. Most frustrating season I can recall in recent times.
OFC

While I hope I am wrong, I don't see a meaningful (i.e. make the Final Four) turn around. Maybe the ACC is just so tough that we are basically going through Sweet 16 sort of matchups often, in conference, but...
Honestly, I think the ACC is just that good this year. I mean, we are in 2nd place with 5 conference losses. That's unheard of. There are some big games coming up this week that will impact the standings starting with Duke and FSU on Tuesday night. There could be some radical changes in the ACC standings by next Sunday.

Reactions: TheDude1
Could be worse.
As in lost in the national championship game by a buzzer beater 3.
Then get beat by your rival for who knows how many times in how many times.
Get healthy.
March is coming. We'll be fine.

As bad as things look right now, how many losses does Duke have with a healthy Grayson in the lineup? With a healthy Amile and Grayson in the lineup? So tired of the chemistry, not a team comments. Take the best guard off of any top 10 team and hobble their best big and they would have 7 or more loses in the ACC.

As bad as things look right now, how many losses does Duke have with a healthy Grayson in the lineup? With a healthy Amile and Grayson in the lineup? So tired of the chemistry, not a team comments. Take the best guard off of any top 10 team and hobble their best big and they would have 7 or more loses in the ACC.

Injuries are part of the game...not an excuse

Just have to deal with it

I've been drinking for a good bit in the hot Cancun sun...... BUT I feel like we turn the corner suddenly lol!

F life is good

I don't think it is the injuries at this point. Team making everything look too difficult considering all the talent. Can barely defeat any team at this point. 1st round exit possible and 2nd round exit likely.

I think the worst part for me was the hype for this team. Even K bought into it. I fully expected a year similar to the 1999 squad with blowouts the norm and sports illustrated covers galore. What a painful reality to see that this team is just not good. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we make it out of the 1st weekend. I wish our bigs got more time on the court to see what they were made of without getting pulled after 3 minutes. On to senior night. Thanks Amile and Matt.

I agree Pinecreek, our problems go way beyond injuries.

I'll be cheering as loud as ever, but this team has little chance to reach the FF.

Two regular season games left, then ACC and NCAAT.

We may only have one or two wins left. Seriously.

last two losses are due to allen's injury. He's our best player and we won't win a game without him in the ACC no matter who the opponent is. If hes healthy come NCCAT, we make a run.

Reactions: Mac9192
I'll simply offer this to those of you saying just not our year and season over. We just came off a 7 game win streak before this little skid. We beat UNC and Virginia at Virginia in that run. You only have to win 6 in a row. I just can't say it's over, until it's over. Who knows where we land and who we will play on our path? None of us yet. And I know it's silly to use ifs, but I'm almost certain if Grayson played yesterday we beat Miami. I'm not giving up on this team, it's just not in me.

It's easy to be frustrated, I certainly have been, but like Show said, who knows what will happen. March can be a dream crusher and a magic maker. I've seen teams with high expectations be an early exit, and teams with no chance reach the final four. It ain't over till it's over and we know Coach K has a fiery spirit in him.

Well fellas, it's all guesswork from here on out. To start with, we do not know what "K" is going to do for Tuesday. He has to decide whether to rest Grayson & Amile (and yes, he is thinking about it), or play them and risk both not being any healthier for either Tourney. I would love to have the double bye in the ACCT, and it is still possible with a little help, just for the extra day or two of rest, and you know that "K" is thinking about it too.
This has to be one of his toughest seasons, and I can still see the fire in his eyes. He wants so badly for this team to do well, but he knows his back is against the wall.
This year, without the double-bye, I really think we are up against it, and it can only hurt us in both Tournaments (wear & tear).
Bottom line, it's all going to come down to how healthy Grayson is. If he can get that ankle healed, he can take this team up a big notch, and the ceiling would still be high. I still think this would be one of the most dangerous teams in the NCAAT.
Go Duke!
OFC

If they turn the corner what do you expect? A dominant team? A cohesive team?
I've coached for 30 years, albeit a different sport, and seen this play out before. We are less than the sum of our parts because it isnt a team. There are not defined roles and the chemistry isnt there. Hence weaker talented teams can beat us. Blame injuries, distractions or whatever...Its not a fist...its 5 fingers ...Coach K's own analogy. Its late in the season to think that this can be turned around. The best i hope for is that the talent finds a way to gut out 6 games in a row in March......but i wont be holding my breath.
This is a fair expectation, albeit not very fun.

I agree Pinecreek, our problems go way beyond injuries.

Yep. Sure , the injuries hurt but this has been one of the worst coaching jobs K has done in recent memory. That won't be popular but it is what it is. We've all seen everyone get minutes earlier in the season. Someone seriously wanna tell me Bolden can't get PT? He's not polished but he has zero confidence and that is 100% on K and his short-azz leash. He's shown enough flashes that he'd be contributing significantly were he not chained to the bench and/or lookin' over his shoulder the first time he commits a foul or misses a shot. Jeter , I thought , made good strides from last year development-wise. He could get minutes. Word is , he's gone. Javin? Oh yeah. Makes perfect sense that K would choose to let a long , athletic , aggressive athlete rot on the pine while the "Iron 6" is gassed and unable to close out ie the Wake Forest game. Someone wanna tell me why he shouldn't transfer? Anyone? Bueller? Giles was such a hyped recruit maybe K is doin' the kid a solid. Let's face it. With Harry's injuries , he's another ACL from never playing in the NBA ever. I appreciate the fact that K may not wanna jeopardize the kids' future. K gets a pass from me on handling Giles with kid gloves but not the others. Worst of all , I think that the short rotation ( among other things ) has altered chemistry...in a bad way. Luke said awhile back in an interview that guys needed to "buy in." Obviously , that suggests that some aren't. Why? Who knows but whatever it is once those issues arise , it's damn-near impossible to do much about it...if anything. Most , if not all , of the time those things are unfixable. I'd like to think that K has something up his sleeve to alter all this but that seems more like a pipe-dream than a reasonable expectation.

And one more thing...stuff sucks. Roy's classes have been less than stellar due , in part , to his inability to get his top-ranked recruits to the NBA as expeditiously as K and Cal etc. He gets multiple seasons outta Jackson , Berry , Pinson et al while Duke's guys leave early even though ( this season anyway ) all but Tatum would be wise to stay. Roy can even endure ANOTHER mediocre recruiting class because Jackson and Berry are damn-near locks to return for their SENIOR seasons. The dirtiest program on the planet spends millions to avoid justified penalties while Roy continues to win because of it. Want more proof? Look at Hatchell. DECIMATED. Sure , unx paid her gazillions to eat this mess and shut up about it but her program is exactly where Roy's would be if the NCAA would quit tolerating this crap and do their job. Sickening.

Hands down the most frustrating season since 2007. Shot selection is our Achilles heel. End of game against Cuse & Miami really stuck out to me. #5/#6 seed in ACCT means the dreaded Wed game which tires the legs.

We're in the Heels heads though so could see them playing tight on Saturday and us winning if threes go down at an alarming rate.

DJ, you make some good comments. Maybe it's time to do the "Elliott Williams" with Bolden & Javin the next few games. Play some minutes the next two games and whatever games Duke can play in the ACCT. I have not understood why the two of them have not had more minutes. I know, K and his short bench. Other coaches play their bench and it pays dividends. I know folks here make fun of Luke Maye but he contributes to his team. Athleticism has been lacking and both of these kids have that quality. It is probably too late for this to happen now in regard to confidence and reality.

On the plus side, the ACC has put 11 teams in the Sweet 16 the last two years. You don't have to be 13-5 or 14-4 in the ACC to be capable of a Sweet 16 run. Honestly, I think any ACC team that wins 11 games in conference has a fair shot (35% or greater maybe?) at the elite 8. I'm probably over-hyping our conference a bit, but look at teams like NC State and Louisville in 2015 and Notre Dame and Syracuse in 2016. Also, we lost two games on the road to two NCAA Tournament teams. Everyone loses on the road. It wasn't like the losses earlier in the season to VT, FSU, or Louisville - they were competitive games that were within reach the whole game. Do I think we're a top 5 team and final four favorite? No, I don't. But I think we have the horses to make a deep run. Kennard, Tatum, and Allen comprise one of the best scoring trios in the country. We still have a fair shot - and I'll take that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT