ADVERTISEMENT

Why do so many hate Duke so much?

12375CAT

Cameron Crazy
Feb 15, 2012
Some national sports talk hosts were hoping that Dule loses in the final 4 then took satisfaction from it after Duke lost.
Some of the other free hoops boards were hoping Duke loses then took great satisfaction from it whenever Duke loses.
They refer to K as a "rat".

Some national sports talk hosts were hoping that Dule loses in the final 4 then took satisfaction from it after Duke lost.
Some of the other free hoops boards were hoping Duke loses then took great satisfaction from it whenever Duke loses.
They refer to K as a "rat".
People hate what they can’t achieve. Greatness is won and Duke has done that at the highest level .

That's the problem with society and people in general nowadays. People just hate winners and greatness and can't accept it. I don't care for many athletes but I can respect how good they are as athletes. Many people can't stand Brady as well but man is that guy good and I'm sure every person that hated him would have taken him as their leader as QB. The same can be said for K.

Let's go Forks!!!

I am not sure. Some people seem to view us as hypocrites, pretending to be better than the rest of college basketball. They also don't like K lecturing players after we lose. The Zion house thing gets brought up on RR a lot. They thought Nike was paying our players. I see it directed at Duke much more than UNC and Kentucky. We are a very divisive team like the Patriots or Yankees. Part of it is because we are good, but there seems to be more to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
I am not sure. Some people seem to view us as hypocrites, pretending to be better than the rest of college basketball. They also don't like K lecturing players after we lose. The Zion house thing gets brought up on RR a lot. They thought Nike was paying our players. I see it directed at Duke much more than UNC and Kentucky. We are a very divisive team like the Patriots or Yankees. Part of it is because we are good, but there seems to be more to it.
Good points Chris. K has made Duke into the top program. It has brought with it a ton of jealousy, and opportunities a long the way for intense scrutiny. Petitioning the ncaa to have the losses in 95 taken away from his record may have been the start. Then, the other instances, like lecturing the Oregon player, yelling at the Crazies that time over Capel, to the now success in recruiting. It sets it up for people praying to see him lose.

Our fan base doesn't help. Quick to accuse the holes, Kentucky, Kansas...yet EVERYTHING K does is on the up and up. As a matter of fact, many of our fans are as insufferable as the other fan bases.

I have had several friends bring up the Crazies. While we like them, some view them as obnoxious and over the top and love to see them quieted. The whole waving see ya would probably annoy me if I was an opposing player or fan

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
I have had several friends bring up the Crazies. While we like them, some view them as obnoxious and over the top and love to see them quieted. The whole waving see ya would probably annoy me if I was an opposing player or fan
Duh! That's exactly why they do it and have been doing it for decades. Don't really care what Non-Duke fans think of our Crazies. They add a lot to the atmosphere in Cameron. OFC

I couldn’t give two s****s what other fanbases think of us. I actually WANT them to hate us. Makes losing to us hurt even worse.

Reactions: bullettoothtony
I'm so old that cheater u didn't hate Duke as much as Md. NCSU and South Carolina. If you wanted to piss off a cheater u fan just call South Carolina the Carolina Gamecocks. Loved doing that. Still do and there's a reason cheater u fans hated those three teams. It's for the same reason they hate Duke today. Other programs fans including myself used to hate on UCLA also. OFC

In no particular order:

1. Duke is a massively elite and successful program. The bullseye is always on the backs of those on top, whether that's other blue bloods or wildly successful teams and/players in other sports.

2. Narratives are as much a part of sports as the action on the court/field is, and all stories need a villain and drama.

3. K is an easy villain because not only is he a juggernaut in the sport — you only punch up, not down — but he can definitely be an ass. He is "easy" to hate for opposing fanbases.

4. There is a perceived adoration by the Media for Duke which annoys people.

5. Duke — like arguably many successful teams/programs — has a ton of bandwagon/fair-weather fans, fans that only like Duke for all the same reasons others hate Duke, that can be obnoxious to other fanbases.

Well rupp rafters is home to some of the worst humans on earth, so that's where you hear alot of negative comments. That fan base is always so angry and hate the fact that Kentucky has fallen so far in the last 10 years.

Reactions: heelbent and Occy64
Whenever Duke isn’t hated, then it’s time to worry about the program. Duke is hated for the same reasons the Patriots & Yankees are hated.

Whenever Duke isn’t hated, then it’s time to worry about the program. Duke is hated for the same reasons the Patriots & Yankees are hated.
If THR starts referring to HCJS as another "rat" then 3 things:
1. You are (almost) always whuppin the Rams.
2. You are always in the top 5 in the polls.
3. You are winning (more) nattys.
So now then do you want THR & Rupp Rafters to refer to HCJS as (another) "rat"?

Dickie V also gushed non stop about Duke in the 90's, and I think people grew weary of it. Yes he gushed about other good programs, but he really gushed about Duke. I'm not sure why the Cowboys are still hated; they haven't been great since the 90's. The Yankees seem to be hated because they are viewed as "buying championships" with their huge payroll. I am a Yankee fan but I hear that a lot.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Arrogant white boys beaten the sht out of everyone else...lol

Ie ..Christian Laettner started it..

That 91 victory over UNLV didn't help either...lol

Arrogant white boys beaten the sht out of everyone else...lol

Ie ..Christian Laettner started it..

That 91 victory over UNLV didn't help either...lol

The entire nation was rooting for Duke and contrary to the BS hit piece on Duke from ESPN, Duke was not hated back then. The Duke hate started with ESPN period...

Reactions: Devilinside
The entire nation was rooting for Duke and contrary to the BS hit piece on Duke from ESPN, Duke was not hated back then. The Duke hate started with ESPN period...
Lol..not in Texas.

ESPN didn't make Laetner step on the Kentucky players chest.

No one cheered for Duke to beat 91 UNLV or the Fab 5 down here.

Maybe white people did but not the entire nation. .

Lol..not in Texas.

ESPN didn't make Laetner step on the Kentucky players chest.

No one cheered for Duke to beat 91 UNLV or the Fab 5 down here.

Maybe white people did but not the entire nation. .
Your last sentence is pathetic, to be honest.
Laettner was hated by everyone except Duke fans.
He was one mean, nasty, and talented as hell mofo. That’s why he was hated.

I always try to look at it if they played for another team what would I think. I like and support our guys, but if it happened at UNC I would want Grayson suspended for the season and Laettner ejected from the Kentucky game. There is no place in the game for stuff like that. I do think things get blown out of proportion at Duke. But people hate us for more reasons than just the fact that we are good. Most of the non Duke fans I knew were rooting for the Fab 5 against us. I think that's when the cheering against Duke thing started gaining momentum.

Last edited:
Haha. You brought him being white as why he was rooted for. Not only is that wrong, it shows you being a very dense lady.

You came to a Duke board spewing stupidity. Put your big girl pants on, or leave.
Being white was also why he was hated.

Shallow thinker

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT