ADVERTISEMENT

What is this biggest thing we need to do to beat UVA

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I'm no guru or expert by any means but I think the best way way to beat them is not fall into their pace of the game which is probably the hardest thing for us or any team to do . To their credit they just keep on drawing teams into that deliberate slow paced game. Before they shoot they have at least 4 or 5 passes before they shoot. This has to be frustrating. I don't know how to speed them up unless you put some much pressure on the ball they get anxious and start turning the ball over or in other word take them out of their game. This year's team has the defensively ability to do that. Tre puts tremendous pressure on the ball, Cam has the presence of somehow knowing where a pass is going and steals are a result. Bolden holds his own inside and will block some shots. Zion is a better than average defender and not only blocks shots but intimitates players into taking a bad shot. Jack no nutter how much of a shooting slump he is in blocks, shots, gets loose balls and just creates havec. Javin can't score but he has enough athletic ability to be desruptive. No I didn't forget RJ. He's has his great defensive moments also and I think he is underate defensely. But UVA is so good defensely too you say. Thats true but bottom line is we are the better team. We win despite poor free throw shooting and poor 3 point shooting but we are still winning. We will win Sat. I don't want to see any one of you picking UVA on K-vilies game day thread including K-ville. We are going to win this game and UVA will beat unc cheater u. OFC

Great post Sky. I feel there is 3 big things we need to do to walk out with a W.
•Contain Ty Jerome. He has 14 points and 4 assists to only 1 TO last time out, and he basically got where he wanted on the court. If Tre can take him out of his game, it'll bog down Virginia's offense to a point where I don't think they can keep up.
•Feed Zion and Bolden as much as possible. Every time Zion touches the ball generally our odds of winning go up. Bolden has shown he has some pretty nice moves in the post and having two threats to score down low will help us to...
• Knock down 5-7 threes. We don't need many to win, just enough to spread them out a little inside to allow RJ, Cam and Tre good driving lanes.

They WILL set the pace, no getting around that. To win, we’ve got to hit a few threes and I hate to even breathe the word but yes, we’ve got to be better at the free throws. I am hoping for some transition buckets from great pressure D out front with Tre this go around. Zion has GOT to stay out of foul trouble. They are really tough at home but we bring more to the table this meeting. I want this one badly.

They WILL set the pace, no getting around that. To win, we’ve got to hit a few threes and I hate to even breathe the word but yes, we’ve got to be better at the free throws. I am hoping for some transition buckets from great pressure D out front with Tre this go around. Zion has GOT to stay out of foul trouble. They are really tough at home but we bring more to the table this meeting. I want this one badly.
I want it badly too. I can see Tre bringing it even harder tomorrow, you know he hated missing the first one. I think the boys get it done, they're coming together and have all found their role in both sides of the court.

Reactions: Showenuff
I think Duke needs to play similar as the last game with UVA (at least on defense). Virginia is going to limit the amount of possessions in a game, and it's absolutely vital that we don't allow them to shoot (or more importantly make a good percentage). They kill teams with their 3 point shooting. As a team they are just a smidgen below 40%, but their top three scorers are shooting 43%, 43%, & 40%...and that trio has made 120 three's this season. So, I think forcing them to take 2's or low percentage 3's is most important.

OFC

Last edited:
UVA opens as a 2 point favorite. Better believe the coaches will use this to motivate the guys. It will be the first time in a long time that they’ve been underdogs going into the game. Let’s hope for a Kentucky game effort from our team.

Keep them off the 3 point line (again) and attack the rim (again) we win.

The only other game this year that Duke was underdogs in turned out pretty nicely......

Like OAD said above, we must limit their 3 pt. shooting again. If we stay out of foul trouble and talk on defense, we should be ok. Tre playing in this one will also be big. Zion will be Zion, and RJ needs to really assert himself again.
Go Duke!
OFC

Just plain wreck them on D. Shut them down like they do to other teams. Manhandle them on D. Curb stomp them. Damn. I'm not even drinking and it is hours before the game, but I am getting fired up.

Reactions: skysdad
Just plain wreck them on D. Shut them down like they do to other teams. Manhandle them on D. Curb stomp them. Damn. I'm not even drinking and it is hours before the game, but I am getting fired up.

Take them out of their game and make them play ours. Make them speed up that half court offense by putting on pressure, letting them pass the ball 4 or 5 times and work the shot clock. The thing is they are good at using the clock but they still get a decent shot off. Rarely does the shot clock buzzer go off on them but they work down to 5 or 6 seconds. We can do it. We just need to focus. Coach K understands what needs to be done . The team just needs to execute. OFC

Stay out of foul trouble and take the ball to the rim over and over and over and over and over.............

Let's go Duke!

Yea, we ain’t making them play our game and speeding them up.

Never mind. What I meant to say was just outscore them by bombing away from 3. That's it, turn it into a perimeter game and win by outshooting them with RJ leading the way. Foolproof.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT