ADVERTISEMENT

Tyus Jones quote

Chis-nives

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 7, 2008
"It was 79-72, we were down...he said we were gonna win this game. And we always believe and trust in what Coach says...so we never gave up, we battled back and I'm just so proud of these guys."

Gives me chills. I would guess im not the only poster on this board who played ball growing up. Hearing your coach say that is pretty scary, but at the same time reassuring. That game was so intense last night. For K to say that and us actually come back to send it in to overtime, it just shows that "will not give up"--fight in this team. I love Tyus Jones. He really put the team on his back and would not let us go down without swinging with his best shot.

Rip em up, tear em up, GIVE EM HELL DUKE

Yeah, I saw that. It reminded me of the Duke/UK game when K called everyone aside and told them they were going to win the game...then the Hill pass, and 'The Shot'. Coach K's leadership is incredible. He has the ability to make you believe...and that's imperative to winning. And having players like Tyus (and Quinn) doesn't hurt.
Of course, I'm sure K has missed a few times when he's said 'we're going to win this game', but you must always believe it...or you won't do it.

OFC

This is interesting because.....

Has anyone seen the "Men of March" that was on the CBS sports channel. It's basically a sit down with Jim Nantz and coaches from different programs one on one.

The Coach K one was interesting in that he spoke about having a tough year last year (his brothers death I'm assuming) and not being able to connect with the team or the players. He basically said that he regrets it and that it eats at him every day and wanted to make sure that didn't happen this year. It's one of his main goals for this years team was to be connected and have everyone buying in....Coaches....Players....etc.

What was also interesting was a clip of a practice from this years team at practice (Grayson Allen was in the practice that's how I know its this year) and he was kinda yelling at Sulaimon and Allen (But mostly Sulaimon...) that he didn't know what the hell he was doing and to be "Ready". In the context of some drill or play they were practicing and they were not in a "Ready" position.

Kinda interesting to see that segment.....Coach K's response....Tyus's Response...and everything that developed with Sulaimon. You can probably really put two and two together.

It seems that there is a heightened awareness from K to be connected to the players and have a better connection throughout the program this year as opposed to last. And I think it's been pretty clear to see.

Originally posted by OldasdirtDevil:
Yeah, I saw that. It reminded me of the Duke/UK game when K called everyone aside and told them they were going to win the game...then the Hill pass, and 'The Shot'. Coach K's leadership is incredible. He has the ability to make you believe...and that's imperative to winning. And having players like Tyus (and Quinn) doesn't hurt.
Of course, I'm sure K has missed a few times when he's said 'we're going to win this game', but you must always believe it...or you won't do it.

OFC
I think the in Back to Back documentary, Laettner said that all Coach K needed was one guy, maybe two, who also believed in whatever K was saying. Fortunately, they had those two in Grant and Laettner, and on Wednesday it was indeed a universal belief so far as whoever was sitting on that Duke bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT