ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC

Honestly would the SEC want Duke football? I know they would want basketball but is it enough these days? Duke would need to put a ton of money into their football program for this to happen.
They keep Vandy around lol. It's not like UNC is on the national radar consistently either.

Reactions: christophero
If FSU and orMiami become fixtures in the top 10 or top 15. Clemson in top 5 Unc good for a few years while Brown is there Couple of other teams floating in and out of top 25. How is that different from the Big 10 with OSU as their top 5 mich pen st and wiscy Indiana lost to ole miss in the bowl game mich st been down
I feel like you guys are getting lost in this a bit. It is not who is good in a given year. Wake forest can be in the top 15 five years in a row and they will add nothing. They have too small of an enrollment and alumni base. Baylor may be a rich school but nobody cares about baylor outside of west texas. It may help with NLI stuff since rich donors will be driving that though. The acc needs national brands that have eyes. Obviously nd fits the bill. Who else is really a good fit. Navy has eyes but they are not a football program. West virginia has a loyal following but very regional. These dont sweeten the pot for the networks which is where the money is

I can't understand why Navy is even being considered. It's not gonna sway ND. The ACC caught the end of Bowden and Beamers career, as well as Miami's run, now with K and Roy gone, the next few years are gonna determine UNC and Duke's potential role. UNC is gonna have to make the right hire after Mack retires or they will be set back another decade. Both schools bring national brands and a large tv following all over the country, but if one leaves after the gor is over, both schools need to be out front of FSU and Clemson.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I doubt navy is seriously in the race but who knows. That was my suggestion. It does allow them to Continue their rivalry with Notre Dame.. Also, navy has navy has a very large and loyal following. Despite them not being very good at football, people are still interested in it for obvious reasons

I doubt navy is seriously in the race but who knows. That was my suggestion. It does allow them to Continue their rivalry with Notre Dame.. Also, navy has navy has a very large and loyal following. Despite them not being very good at football, people are still interested in it for obvious reasons
“Not being very good at football”. When has that ever kept a program out of the ACC? They’d bring more to the conf than Pitt or BC. Granted that’s a low bar

Reactions: hpnole
Sounds like we’re on the same page I like them better than anyone except UCF ND WV among realistic options being bandied about

Got to disagree that Navy has a large following. It has a small stadium for good reason. I do not think ND considers Navy a "rival", or even a worthy competitor. Navy would add nothing financially to the ACC, and would be a disaster for basketball forcing the ACC to give up slots to a very poor program. Ditto baseball, soccer, lacrosse. Some, not many, people are interested in Navy because of their connection, past and present, to the military. That is the only "obvious reason" that comes to mind.

“Not being very good at football”. When has that ever kept a program out of the ACC? They’d bring more to the conf than Pitt or BC. Granted that’s a low bar
I agree with you.
Got to disagree that Navy has a large following. It has a small stadium for good reason. I do not think ND considers Navy a "rival", or even a worthy competitor. Navy would add nothing financially to the ACC, and would be a disaster for basketball forcing the ACC to give up slots to a very poor program. Ditto baseball, soccer, lacrosse. Some, not many, people are interested in Navy because of their connection, past and present, to the military. That is the only "obvious reason" that comes to mind.
Maybe not a rival but there is a long history and relationship there and notre dame cares about that. Navy would only make sense if it entices nd. You might as well separate out those non rev generating sports because these decisions are based on football and the money in generates. I disagree with you about their fanship. Navys students come from all over the country and brand name carries weight here. If a giant stadium of your own is a prerequisite then miami would be screwed

What if the ACC could make a deal with ND to join, if we could poach Penn State. That might put the ACC on par money wise with the BIG and SEC. The contract with ESPN would have to be updated.

Reactions: tarheel0910
What if the ACC could make a deal with ND to join, if we could poach Penn State. That might put the ACC on par money wise with the BIG and SEC. The contract with ESPN would have to be updated.
That would be awesome but why would they leave the B1G

Jim Boeheim hates Greensboro. I'd love to see the look on his face when he arrived in Oxford Mississippi.
I , for one, would like to see this merger. Cant see it happening though. yes, the SEC would gain some BB schools, but only a couple that would be good in Football. The SEC is a football first conference , and that is where the money is. Except for Clemson and FSU , if they get a revival, who else would put butts in 100k seat stadiums. And, why would Al, Lsu, Tenn., etc, want to come to a stadium that would only have 45-50k butts in the seats. I guess that is what Duke, Wake , seats now. Half the time, those aren't full, unless it is UNC or NC St.

I , for one, would like to see this merger. Cant see it happening though. yes, the SEC would gain some BB schools, but only a couple that would be good in Football. The SEC is a football first conference , and that is where the money is. Except for Clemson and FSU , if they get a revival, who else would put butts in 100k seat stadiums. And, why would Al, Lsu, Tenn., etc, want to come to a stadium that would only have 45-50k butts in the seats. I guess that is what Duke, Wake , seats now. Half the time, those aren't full, unless it is UNC or NC St.
I think he just trying to get out front and help Duke. Being a small private school is not what the SEC and BIG normally want, I'm not being insulting, but it is what it is. But I do think if the ACC sits on it's hands too long, the league will dissolve or become a second tier conference. Alabama fans, years ago, bought up Duke's season tickets for one game, and those season tickets were cheaper than one Alabama home game. So attendance will shoot up. The ACC needs to add two teams so the tv contract can be renegotiated, just to try to keep up. If the league dissolved I could see:
Pitt,UNC,GT,UVA and Duke getting into the BIG.
FSU,CU,VATECH, and maybe NCSU going SEC.
The rest are own there own. I don't see anybody really wanting Miami.
If the BIG picks up Kansas, I'd say they would be licking at their chops to pick up UNC, and that deal would be a package with DUKE. IF they add Kansas is the best insurance for Duke to land on it's feet without UNC. So in my opinion, it works both ways in Duke's favor if the BIG adds Kansas. They would have 3 of the blue blood basketball teams. Kentucky would be forced to take a strong look at their position in the SEC then.

Reactions: hpnole
I think he just trying to get out front and help Duke. Being a small private school is not what the SEC and BIG normally want, I'm not being insulting, but it is what it is. But I do think if the ACC sits on it's hands too long, the league will dissolve or become a second tier conference. Alabama fans, years ago, bought up Duke's season tickets for one game, and those season tickets were cheaper than one Alabama home game. So attendance will shoot up. The ACC needs to add two teams so the tv contract can be renegotiated, just to try to keep up. If the league dissolved I could see:
Pitt,UNC,GT,UVA and Duke getting into the BIG.
FSU,CU,VATECH, and maybe NCSU going SEC.
The rest are own there own. I don't see anybody really wanting Miami.
If the BIG picks up Kansas, I'd say they would be licking at their chops to pick up UNC, and that deal would be a package with DUKE. IF they add Kansas is the best insurance for Duke to land on it's feet without UNC. So in my opinion, it works both ways in Duke's favor if the BIG adds Kansas. They would have 3 of the blue blood basketball teams. Kentucky would be forced to take a strong look at their position in the SEC then.
You could be right, but , I hope not. I would hate to see Duke in the Big. I am a football first fan , BB is secondary . The SEC schools would be more interesting than Suckeye U, Michigan, Etc. I guess what I would really like to see is, everything staying the same. I do realize that change is inevitable.

Wouldn't work that way. The conference would be split into pods where those schools play every year and rotate the rest. Alabama, Florida, LSU, etc wouldn't play Duke very often IMO. I'd say a pod would have 5 to 6 teams and those would keep most SEC together and ACC teams together IMO. You would also kiss OOC games goodbye I'd say if this became a reality.

For an SEC to play at Duke, it serves two purposes. One, it's fans could get to attend another home game, for less money. Two, it's playing an easy game without the "patsy" label. The only problem would be that they would have to share their money with Duke.

For an SEC to play at Duke, it serves two purposes. One, it's fans could get to attend another home game, for less money. Two, it's playing an easy game without the "patsy" label. The only problem would be that they would have to share their money with Duke.
This is true, but not many people can get into Dukes stadium. Fans on the FSU site used to say that going to WF was like going to a HS game. Can you imagine what Tenn, fans would say. Their stadium seats what 107k or there about. Other SEC schools stadiums seat upwards of 100k, and they sell out every game, I would guess. If other schools had to play the SEC schedule, I doubt they would bitch about the patsy or two appearing on the schedule. One of Alabamas patsies this year is Miami.

Reactions: KDSTONE
This is true, but not many people can get into Dukes stadium. Fans on the FSU site used to say that going to WF was like going to a HS game. Can you imagine what Tenn, fans would say. Their stadium seats what 107k or there about. Other SEC schools stadiums seat upwards of 100k, and they sell out every game, I would guess. If other schools had to play the SEC schedule, I doubt they would bitch about the patsy or two appearing on the schedule. One of Alabamas patsies this year is Miami.
Who cares what Tenn fans say? Vandy and Ken have small stadiums and they don’t play the Miss schools that often but they’re ACC size as well. Coaches are used to playing two cupcakes ooc and one in every year. Don’t think they would complain about Duke who had A and M with manzeil on the ropes a while back

Who cares what Tenn fans say? Vandy and Ken have small stadiums and they don’t play the Miss schools that often but they’re ACC size as well. Coaches are used to playing two cupcakes ooc and one in every year. Don’t think they would complain about Duke who had A and M with manzeil on the ropes a while back
Don't know about Vandy, but , ky has crowds of over 70k according to wiki. That is over capacity for the stadium. At any rate, I doubt the SEC is getting excited about joining ranks with the ACC. Would be good for the ACC. I just hope all this falls through. I kinda like things the way the are. Would like to see ND and another football school added. WE have enough BB schools already.

You could be right, but , I hope not. I would hate to see Duke in the Big. I am a football first fan , BB is secondary . The SEC schools would be more interesting than Suckeye U, Michigan, Etc. I guess what I would really like to see is, everything staying the same. I do realize that change is inevitable.
How the hell are you a Duke fan? Football first, bball second? There's help for this fan base after all!!!!👍👍👍

Reactions: christophero
Duke has a football team?
(I kid)
I give ya credit. If I'm asked who I pull for in bball I say Carolina. Then I'm immediately asked "well who do you pull for in football then" and I say Carolina. Too many people in both fan bases root for different schools in those sports. But it lets me know not to trust them as they have no loyalty, with exceptions. A coworker of mine, his nefew plays for NC State. Shyheim Battle. #25 he starts at cornerback for Pack. So I root for him, hard. I asked him how much Clemson offered him to play there, but he won't say, just chuckles.

How the hell are you a Duke fan? Football first, bball second? There's help for this fan base after all!!!!👍👍👍
Simple , I am old enough to remember when Duke had good football teams. I still pull for them although, kinda like pulling for the Panthers , they are painful to watch at times. Sorry, big time college football is my favorite thing to watch. College BB is second. Doubt that I am alone. Except for some pro football, I could care less about pro sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT