ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC

smashmouth5

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2001
If this happens you gotta believe the ACC will look to expand to keep up. Where do they go? Notre Dame full time should be number 1 then how about Kansas and Baylor to add to hoops and Baylor gets you into the state of Texas.

They are bringing back the Oklahoma Nebraska football rivalry, which is awesome.

That is a nigjtmare scenario as the acc is already waaaaay behind the big 10 and sec in terms of revenue and the GOR has the schools handcuffed. Add in the NIL stuff and the Sec is gonna be like the NFL with the way the schools AND kids are gonna be rolling in dough.

I think if there is a way around the GOR, FSU clemson and miami are going to be trying to figure out a way out of the acc. The problem for fsu is the sec already has the florida market, although that may be a primitive way of thinking of it...and the big 10 doesnt want them because they arent an aau certified school as all the other members. Honestly the acc has been playing checkers on this matter. The football schools see themselves as getting lapped by crap football teams in power conferences money wise.

If it does happen and the current teams are stuck in the acc...i say you add Notre Dame, Navy and WVU. Split it into a north/south conference that restores traditional Acc and big east rivalries and allows ND and Navy to continue their rivalry. Wake needs to kick rocks. The league is basically putting its whole future on ND joining. I think this league will still lag as far as match ups are concerned football wise but it is the best we can do.

North:
Notre Dame
Miami
Boston College
Va Tech
Syracuse
WVU
Navy
Pitt

South:
FSU
Clemson
Duke
Carolina
Nc State
GT
Louisville
Virginia

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad and hpnole
That is a nigjtmare scenario as the acc is already waaaaay behind the big 10 and sec in terms of revenue and the GOR has the schools handcuffed. Add in the NIL stuff and the Sec is gonna be like the NFL with the way the schools AND kids are gonna be rolling in dough.

I think if there is a way around the GOR, FSU clemson and miami are going to be trying to figure out a way out of the acc. The problem for fsu is the sec already has the florida market, although that may be a primitive way of thinking of it...and the big 10 doesnt want them because they arent an aau certified school as all the other members. Honestly the acc has been playing checkers on this matter. The football schools see themselves as getting lapped by crap football teams in power conferences money wise.

If it does happen and the current teams are stuck in the acc...i say you add Notre Dame, Navy and WVU. Split it into a north/south conference that restores traditional Acc and big east rivalries and allows ND and Navy to continue their rivalry. Wake needs to kick rocks. The league is basically putting its whole future on ND joining.

North:
Notre Dame
Miami
Boston College
Va Tech
Syracuse
WVU
Navy
Pitt

South:
FSU
Clemson
Duke
Carolina
Nc State
GT
Louisville
Virginia
This has all been kicked around before. I stayed on the Fla. St . site for a long time, even though it cost me around 100 per year to keep up with all this. They were very concerned with all the money the SEC Big 10 etc were getting from tv deals. They were also concerned that Swofford was going with his son on the ACC deal and get shortchanged. They never trusted Swofford, and sure enough, the ACC tv deal was nothing like the SEC or others. For what ever reason, the other schools did not seem to care about the ACC tv deal. At least it was never discussed like it was at FL ST. Will be interesting to see what happens with the other schools. I just know from looking at the ND site, they have no interest in joining a conference. I hope at some point, they come into the ACC but really dont see it happening any time soon.

Reactions: politicsasusual21
This has all been kicked around before. I stayed on the Fla. St . site for a long time, even though it cost me around 100 per year to keep up with all this. They were very concerned with all the money the SEC Big 10 etc were getting from tv deals. They were also concerned that Swofford was going with his son on the ACC deal and get shortchanged. They never trusted Swofford, and sure enough, the ACC tv deal was nothing like the SEC or others. For what ever reason, the other schools did not seem to care about the ACC tv deal. At least it was never discussed like it was at FL ST. Will be interesting to see what happens with the other schools. I just know from looking at the ND site, they have no interest in joining a conference. I hope at some point, they come into the ACC but really dont see it happening any time soon.
I really dont see how the conference survives without ND if OK and TX do head to the sec. These revenue gaps are massive and that means everything to football schools. Maybe the 12 team playoff nudges them in since they have a bit if a disadvantage if they wanna win a championship.

Last edited:
There was a day when the ACC was academically superior to the Big 12 and SEC and at least on par with the Big 10. The ACC appears to have a choice, to either forget about academics to get some non-Notre Dame football schools, or become (or continue to be) an inferior football conference.

I think the best matches other than Notre Dame are Baylor and Navy. In this day and age, once you board a plane, it doesn't matter much if you are going to Kentucky or Texas.

The problem is baylor doesnt really add a whole bunch matchup wise...not that WVU or Navy really does either. But that is gonna be the thrill of the sec. Every week there is gonna be a top 10 battle in conference. Texas vs florida. OK vs Bama...those are gonna be some fun games to watch...hence all the tv money.

Reactions: hpnole
My reasons for Baylor are: top football and basketball teams; good academic reputation; and opens a new geographical area for recruiting, both for sports and students. Other than Baylor's sketchy past with some sports, it seems the best match for what the ACC has traditionally done.

The problem is baylor doesnt really add a whole bunch matchup wise...not that WVU or Navy really does either. But that is gonna be the thrill of the sec. Every week there is gonna be a top 10 battle in conference. Texas vs florida. OK vs Bama...those are gonna be some fun games to watch...hence all the tv money.
Didn't W.VA get voted out once before by VA.T. I think I remember Beemer saying he would never take his team back there again. Dont remember what happened exactly.

Reactions: geddoughton23

If it does happen and the current teams are stuck in the acc...i say you add Notre Dame, Navy and WVU. Split it into a north/south conference that restores traditional Acc and big east rivalries and allows ND and Navy to continue their rivalry. Wake needs to kick rocks. The league is basically putting its whole future on ND joining. I think this league will still lag as far as match ups are concerned football wise but it is the best we can do.

North:
Notre Dame
Miami
Boston College
Va Tech
Syracuse
WVU
Navy
Pitt

South:
FSU
Clemson
Duke
Carolina
Nc State
GT
Louisville
Virginia
When I think of Miami, the word “North” doesn’t come to mind lol

Even bringing up academics is comical. No offense to @Liftee as he stated, at one time it may have mattered, but it’s all about one thing- football. TCU, WVU, Baylor, all make sense if needed. They all have massive stadiums and solid football programs. The ACC is hurt by FSU, Miami, VT, all sucking compared to where they were 10-15 years ago on the gridiron.

Guess it’s still better than the now defunct Leaders and Legends divisions
Navy makes absolutely no sense. It cannot recruit well enough to compete in a big conference, and would not be a revenue source in terms of rivalries etc. While we did beat Baylor a few years ago, I do not see it as a big draw in the east, ditto TCU. WVU would be OK. I think that there is a better chance of ND joining the Big 10 than gambling its future on the ACC. Vandy might rather compete in the ACC, rather than being the SEC perennial doormat. If we were to go to Texas despite the bad logistics, Rice would be a better fit. Tulane might work as well. Clemson might not want to join the SEC, and lose its nearly free pass to major bowls. Miami is not a large school, and it is a private school. I cannot see it joining the SEC. It has a hard enough time with Clemson, UNCheat, Va Tech, State, UVA, and, yes, even Duke at times.

OFC

I fear that if 2 or 3 of Navy, Tulane, Rice and/or Vandy join the ACC, the ACC might have trouble keeping its status as a football Power 5 conference and Clemson might be forced to leave.

Reactions: christophero
European soccer hinted at this. Super League in college means just a junior league for the Professionals. We as fans of rivalries and conference titles, lose. Programs such as Duke will remain dominant but I am skeptical of the actual cost reward. I have already disliked the direction NCAA took the past couple decades. For example Title 9 in California. Championship winning wrestling programs were closed to makeway. Paying college athletes.

It just seems like some management are grabbing for the moneybag seeing that College sports in America is drastically changing and possibly ending.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Yeah i don’t want any of those schools
If Clemson leaves FSU and Miami will try to rabbit. Rumors are SeC is eyeing 20 teams with four or five pods. Rumor around the campfire is big 12 ads and pres are meeting via zoom this afternoon as we speak. College sports has turned into a shit show

If Clemson leaves FSU and Miami will try to rabbit. Rumors are SeC is eyeing 20 teams with four or five pods. Rumor around the campfire is big 12 ads and pres are meeting via zoom this afternoon as we speak. College sports has turned into a shit show
Duke basketball, most of our primary concern, has not benefited from expansion imho. For every Louisville there are three mediocrities- even Syracuse, while enlarging our footprint, has been average the last several years. The ACc already had (bball) enough bad teams Clem Wake and NCSu. Yes, Miami and VT were added for football but they haven’t held up their end. Only FSU (numerous sports. Getting into huge state of FL) has been an unqualified success with Louisville being good for one sport

Reactions: hpnole and timo0402
Maybe there will be a top 10 matchup every week. Probably not depending on how the pods are set up Currently Florida Alabama. And Georgia LSU among others only play every six years. This year the tide plays in Gainesville for the first time in ten years. Adding Ou is a huge get obviously but Texas is all over the place lately but joining the sec should help the Longhorns but possibly hurt Tam recruiting wise

What about a school like Liberty. They are pumping huge money into their sports programs.

What about a school like Liberty. They are pumping huge money into their sports programs.
The acc could add Appalachian State to further strengthen its grip on the state of NC and then add Southern Miss to get into the lucrative Mississippi market

North:
Notre Dame
Miami
Boston College
Va Tech
Syracuse
WVU
Navy
Pitt

South:
FSU
Clemson
Duke
Carolina
Nc State
GT
Louisville
Virginia
Navy even though not sure how competitive they would be but they would add some dignity to the conference. OFC

The acc could add Appalachian State to further strengthen its grip on the state of NC and then add Southern Miss to get into the lucrative Mississippi market

You wait and see. Liberty will end up in a power 5 conference before all is said and done.

I fear that if 2 or 3 of Navy, Tulane, Rice and/or Vandy join the ACC, the ACC might have trouble keeping its status as a football Power 5 conference and Clemson might be forced to leave.
How dare those schools emphasize academics over athletics. Would be embarrassing to associate with any of them.

How dare those schools emphasize academics over athletics. Would be embarrassing to associate with any of them.
When it comes to revenue, outside of the IVY’s, most athletic departments and conferences are only as strong as their football program(s). So for this discussion, we (The ACC) only should care about schools with solid football programs.

You wait and see. Liberty will end up in a power 5 conference before all is said and done.
Wasn’t taking a shot at your post. Just trying to find humor in a grim situation. I hate the fn SEC and I’m sick of dam ESPN. It’s almost like they created the ACC Network just to be a Laughingstock

Reactions: smashmouth5
Navy even though not sure how competitive they would be but they would add some dignity to the conference. OFC
Like Navy better than Tulane for tradition military. Know they’re in the AAC too but Tulane and Rice would be desperate. Tulane a private school but actually rated higher than only a few schools in ACC. It’s fallen off last 20 years especially. UCF has potential as does Cincinnati SMU maybe Rice is not in the AAC I don’t believe

Reactions: hpnole
Either that or no basketball program. You can't have you cake and eat it too. I 'm just old school timo. OFC
Correct. ND possibly has the most overrated program in bb history. Never won a title. Hasn’t been to Ff since the Carter presidency

Correct. ND possibly has the most overrated program in bb history. Never won a title. Hasn’t been to Ff since the Carter presidency
I never have and still don't feel N.D. should be on the ACC. That's what johnny "tar heel "swofford brought in. OFC

The good old days are over boys. College sports have been in a steady decline for years. Mega conferences are just a band aid IMO. This NIL is the fat lady that’s about to start singing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT