ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC

I just don't see ND joining the ACC unless somehow they are forced to do so. Why should they give up FB revenue to Duke and Wake? I know, they get to share Duke's BB revenue but I am guessing they are not even close to the same.

Reactions: Devilinside
I fear that if 2 or 3 of Navy, Tulane, Rice and/or Vandy join the ACC, the ACC might have trouble keeping its status as a football Power 5 conference and Clemson might be forced to leave.
All of those schools compete at the big school level.. What determines status as a Power 5 Conference? What are the rules, if any? I think you are being a little bit "Chicken Little" on that. The sky is NOT falling.

ND is a must, completely agree. Hate em or love em, they bring in the revenue no one else, even Clemson does for the conference.
Not going to happen, and it is not a "must". I'd like to see some stats on how much ND ACC football games actually added to ACC revenue.

Notre Dame is needed in the current acc. Every school benefits having them. Their games with Clemson and Carolina are prime time.

Even bringing up academics is comical. No offense to @Liftee as he stated, at one time it may havte mattered, but it’s all about one thing- football. TCU, WVU, Baylor, all make sense if needed. They all have massive stadiums and solid football programs. The ACC is hurt by FSU, Miami, VT, all sucking compared to where they were 10-15 years ago on the gridiron.
Agree academics doesn’t really matter in these expansion decisions e.g if the ACC can’t get who they want and are stuck with Rice and Navy they’ll pretend like it does

Not going to happen, and it is not a "must". I'd like to see some stats on how much ND ACC football games actually added to ACC revenue.
This is a good article from last year that talks about the ACC needing ND more than ND needs them. ND is a National program. It out draws everyone in the ACC including Clemson. The NBC deal expires in 2025 or 2027. The ACC needs to try and lock these guys up.

The ACC is the least watched power 5 conference. ND would bolster the viewership dramatically as is evident with the comparison viewership in the SI article.

Reactions: tarheel0910
This is a good article from last year that talks about the ACC needing ND more than ND needs them. ND is a National program. It out draws everyone in the ACC including Clemson. The NBC deal expires in 2025 or 2027. The ACC needs to try and lock these guys up.

The ACC is the least watched power 5 conference. ND would bolster the viewership dramatically as is evident with the comparison viewership in the SI article.

I know football drives this bus dollars wise, but do ND basketball games get better ratings than other similarly mediocre ACC teams or is it 100% a football phenomenon?

Reactions: geddoughton23
I just don't see ND joining the ACC unless somehow they are forced to do so. Why should they give up FB revenue to Duke and Wake? I know, they get to share Duke's BB revenue but I am guessing they are not even close to the same.
Not necessarily forced but if they go to a 12 team playoff as suggested tbey would never be able to get a first round bye due to not winning their conference championship. If they actual want to win a NC this is a disadvantage to say the least. Maybe the trade off isnt enough for them to join

All of those schools compete at the big school level.. What determines status as a Power 5 Conference? What are the rules, if any? I think you are being a little bit "Chicken Little" on that. The sky is NOT falling.
I disagree with you. I think Appalachian state has a better program than all those schools bit i dont want them in the ACC. FSU Miami and Clemson would all be looking to move if the GOR werent such a burden. They are getting lapped by mid tier at best football programs simply due to the conference and their tv deals. The big 10 payoit nearly doubled that of the acc in 2019 at 55 mil per school. That is not real sustainable for football schools if you want to compete. I do not know the rules though and dont necessarily agree with the power 5 thing

Last edited:
Not necessarily forced but if they go to a 12 team playoff as suggested tbey would never be able to get a first round bye due to not winning their conference championship. If they actual want to win a NC this is a disadvantage to say the least. Maybe the trade off isnt enough for them to join
I don’t know if that’s going to be true though. It wouldn’t surprise me if they say conference winners or an undefeated ND, for the byes. That’s the kind of power they have in CFB and it’s present now in the CFP.

That is a nigjtmare scenario as the acc is already waaaaay behind the big 10 and sec in terms of revenue and the GOR has the schools handcuffed. Add in the NIL stuff and the Sec is gonna be like the NFL with the way the schools AND kids are gonna be rolling in dough.

I think if there is a way around the GOR, FSU clemson and miami are going to be trying to figure out a way out of the acc. The problem for fsu is the sec already has the florida market, although that may be a primitive way of thinking of it...and the big 10 doesnt want them because they arent an aau certified school as all the other members. Honestly the acc has been playing checkers on this matter. The football schools see themselves as getting lapped by crap football teams in power conferences money wise.

If it does happen and the current teams are stuck in the acc...i say you add Notre Dame, Navy and WVU. Split it into a north/south conference that restores traditional Acc and big east rivalries and allows ND and Navy to continue their rivalry. Wake needs to kick rocks. The league is basically putting its whole future on ND joining. I think this league will still lag as far as match ups are concerned football wise but it is the best we can do.

North:
Notre Dame
Miami
Boston College
Va Tech
Syracuse
WVU
Navy
Pitt

South:
FSU
Clemson
Duke
Carolina
Nc State
GT
Louisville
Virginia
What does GOR stand for and how does it handcuff team like FSU, Clemson, Miami, etc from leaving the ACC? Excuse my ignorance on the topic.

I really dont see how the conference survives without ND if OK and TX do head to the sec. These revenue gaps are massive and that means everything to football schools. Maybe the 12 team playoff nudges them in since they have a bit if a disadvantage if they wanna win a championship.
I think the only thing that brings them -to any conference - would be the threat of being left out of the NC picture by staying independent. I would be surprised at them joining any conference other than the ACC if they had to pick one. This is what I have gleaned from their website. Some actually want them to join the ACC, but, the majority want to remain independent. And as i look at their schedule, who, from their fan base, wouldn't want to see them playing USC, Michigan, Stanford , etc. as apposed to playing most ACC teams.

Like Navy better than Tulane for tradition military. Know they’re in the AAC too but Tulane and Rice would be desperate. Tulane a private school but actually rated higher than only a few schools in ACC. It’s fallen off last 20 years especially. UCF has potential as does Cincinnati SMU maybe Rice is not in the AAC I don’t believe
Navy would bring more fans. Also, how about ECU???

Duke basketball, most of our primary concern, has not benefited from expansion imho. For every Louisville there are three mediocrities- even Syracuse, while enlarging our footprint, has been average the last several years. The ACc already had (bball) enough bad teams Clem Wake and NCSu. Yes, Miami and VT were added for football but they haven’t held up their end. Only FSU (numerous sports. Getting into huge state of FL) has been an unqualified success with Louisville being good for one sport
BC brings nothing to the table . Boston is a pro sports town and gives a crap less about college sports. ECU would have been a better pick. As for FSU and Clemson leaving, it would be a big money gain for them, if they went to the SEC. Getting to the playoffs would be hell for either.

Reactions: KDSTONE
BC brings nothing to the table . Boston is a pro sports town and gives a crap less about college sports. ECU would have been a better pick. As for FSU and Clemson leaving, it would be a big money gain for them, if they went to the SEC. Getting to the playoffs would be hell for either.

Don't think FSU has the option of the SEC because Florida won't have it. Honestly think Duke and NC would have a better shot along with Clemson of heading to the SEC. The SEC is already the best conference in the country im football and baseball, now add Duke and Carolina with Kentucky basketball and you get the picture.

Don't think FSU has the option of the SEC because Florida won't have it. Honestly think Duke and NC would have a better shot along with Clemson of heading to the SEC. The SEC is already the best conference in the country im football and baseball, now add Duke and Carolina with Kentucky basketball and you get the picture.
Florida can’t unilaterally keep FSU out Much more money at stake than decades ago when uf pulled that. And on top of that the larger the conf gets the less power any one member would have to influence that. Duke and Carolina to the SEC would be the final sign that all is lost but you can’t rule anything out anymore

Doesn’t really matter what Florida and/or UGA wants just like Texas A&M, Mizzou and Arkansas’s cries to the SEC commissioner are falling on deaf ears. It takes 4 No votes to stop anything from happening in the SEC. OU and TX joining the SEC tentatively have 11 Yes votes.

Imagine a combination of FSU, Clemson or Miami would get at least that number of Yes votes, as it would help even out the SEC without having to move a bunch of teams around.

What does GOR stand for and how does it handcuff team like FSU, Clemson, Miami, etc from leaving the ACC? Excuse my ignorance on the topic.
Gor stands for grant of rights. It basically was meant to stabilize the conference during recent realignment. The agreement makes it financially impossible for schools to leave the league as they basically forfeited all of their media rights and revenues under the agreement. The problem is the landscape of football has changed so drastically since it doesnt make sense. Football schools are seeing the payouts to other conferences and wondering how they can keep up in the arms race. The big 10 payout in 2019 was 55 mil per school. The acc was 29. That is a huge gap

Florida can’t unilaterally keep FSU out Much more money at stake than decades ago when uf pulled that. And on top of that the larger the conf gets the less power any one member would have to influence that. Duke and Carolina to the SEC would be the final sign that all is lost but you can’t rule anything out anymore

True, but they can make deals with other schools to align with them and vote it down. Personally I don't think the SEC would necessarily want FSU, again they already have Florida, but they don't have the state of North Carolina and you have two massive blue bloods in basketball to poach.

I can see this from a money view. However, getting through the SEC regular season and then to the conference title game, is a far different path than getting there in the ACC. Clemson can make the playoffs almost every year from the ACC.

Gor stands for grant of rights. It basically was meant to stabilize the conference during recent realignment. The agreement makes it financially impossible for schools to leave the league as they basically forfeited all of their media rights and revenues under the agreement. The problem is the landscape of football has changed so drastically since it doesnt make sense. Football schools are seeing the payouts to other conferences and wondering how they can keep up in the arms race. The big 10 payout in 2019 was 55 mil per school. The acc was 29. That is a huge gap
For the money difference in the SEC, or BIG 10, GOR is chump change. In fact I think some teams already did this in time past. Didnt Md. do it ? Or W.VA.? I just can't remember.

True, but they can make deals with other schools to align with them and vote it down. Personally I don't think the SEC would necessarily want FSU, again they already have Florida, but they don't have the state of North Carolina and you have two massive blue bloods in basketball to poach.
The SEC in the past coveted fsu but that was a long time ago and it is a different world. Fsu is a national brand despitep
For the money difference in the SEC, or BIG 10, GOR is chump change. In fact I think some teams already did this in time past. Didnt Md. do it ? Or W.VA.? I just can't remember.
I think you are mistaken. The schools forfeited their media rights...hence the term grant of rights, as part of the agreement. So even if a school goes and plays in another conference the ACC will still receive that schools portion of the new conferences media deal. It isnt just this one time buyout. Maryland left the acc in 2012. The gor was signed in 2013

Does not mean that the ACC "needs" ND, just that it would be better off with ND as would about any conference. Where was the unidentified article published?

OFC

Does not mean that the ACC "needs" ND, just that it would be better off with ND as would about any conference. Where was the unidentified article published?

OFC
I might be misunderstanding your question so i apologize in advance, but the B1G and SEC money wise don’t need ND. The ACC is in the bottom of the barrel as far as revenue goes compared to them. If they want to stay relevant they most certainly need a program like ND.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I wonder if the anti ND talk is because they’re known for getting generous rankings, only to choke yearly.
This is about money, and they bring it. The ACC needs them and Clemson. Also for Mack to continue his thing at Carolina, and Florida State to wake back up.

Reactions: smashmouth5
I might be misunderstanding your question so i apologize in advance, but the B1G and SEC money wise don’t need ND. The ACC is in the bottom of the barrel as far as revenue goes compared to them. If they want to stay relevant they most certainly need a program like ND.
Just your opinion. ACC was relevant for a long time without ND and is still "relevant". The BIG do not need ND to survive. Correct. But it would be better off with ND. ND not a fit for SEC. What do you mean by "relevant"? ACC will never be on a par with the BIG or SEC, with or without ND. Again, I am assuming that this conversation is limited to football. ACC will continue to be one of top 5 conferences no matter what ND does.

The times they are a changin. ESPN seems to think conferences are headed for 16 teams. Notre Dame is pretty relevant, even if you don't like them the football team has been consistently top 10 the past few years and brings in big money. They might get smoked by the Clemsons of the world (who doesn't) but they are still pretty good and a national brand.

Reactions: Mac9192 and KDSTONE
Just your opinion. ACC was relevant for a long time without ND and is still "relevant". The BIG do not need ND to survive. Correct. But it would be better off with ND. ND not a fit for SEC. What do you mean by "relevant"? ACC will never be on a par with the BIG or SEC, with or without ND. Again, I am assuming that this conversation is limited to football. ACC will continue to be one of top 5 conferences no matter what ND does.
We aren’t far off from what we are saying. Relevant to me is, somewhat staying close to the B1G and maybe the SEC, but that’ll be tough unless Miami, FSU, VT, figure it out again for football. As Chris said above, relevant, is staying a true power in football. ND, with their National brand, money it brings, is desperately needed for our conference. If ND goes to the B1G, I’m afraid we are screwed bc Clemson will probably opt out to go to the SEC, where they belong as far as football goes. Their rivalry with USC, will make that game a annual rivalry the SEC can pump up on the same weekend as the Iron Bowl. Again, love em or hate em, ND brings much needed stability, revenue and eye balls to the ACC, which they’re sorely lacking by the data provided.

The ACC made the right moves bringing in FlaSt, UM VA Tech for the national spot light in football. Even so killing off Big East basketball. The problem is these national football powers are in the toilet. I say we bring in West VA, Baylor. Notra Dame knows football playoff expansion is coming and ain't gonna sign up.

The ACC made the right moves bringing in FlaSt, UM VA Tech for the national spot light in football. Even so killing off Big East basketball. The problem is these national football powers are in the toilet. I say we bring in West VA, Baylor. Notra Dame knows football playoff expansion is coming and ain't gonna sign up.
If FSU and orMiami become fixtures in the top 10 or top 15. Clemson in top 5 Unc good for a few years while Brown is there Couple of other teams floating in and out of top 25. How is that different from the Big 10 with OSU as their top 5 mich pen st and wiscy Indiana lost to ole miss in the bowl game mich st been down

I guess i am still trying to figure out why we need Baylor. They would be good in BB but we need more FB revenue. That is where the money is made a schools with a decent FB program. W.V. might be a good fit . I still believe ECU would be a better fit than Baylor or BC for that matter. Hopefully , Miami is on the way up, Shalala hurt the program down there, or at least that is what I have heard. I am not of the group that wants to see the Tarholes get better in FB under Brown , or anything else for that matter. FSU needs to get back up along with VaTech. In other words , football needs to become relevant again in the ACC, and not just at Clemson. And, by relevant , I mean having teams that will put butts in the stands and bring in money. I like what one poster wrote about the Big 10 . They have the suckeyes and then all the rest. And they usually choke when they hit an SEC team in the playoffs. That conference does make money , big time money on football. I am old enough to remember when Duke had pretty good teams. There is no reason why they cant at least be good enough to draw fans. I dont expect to see them in the NC hunt, but no reason why they cant be a bowl team with regularity . And, yes I know about the difficulty with academics , but , Stanford, ND, NW, and other schools with high academic standards do , Duke could also if they would commit to it.

I don't want to expand. I want to contract. If we expand, the obvious choices are Notre Dame for football and Central Florida. UCF and Ohio State are the largest on campus student bodies

Reactions: christophero
If FSU and orMiami become fixtures in the top 10 or top 15. Clemson in top 5 Unc good for a few years while Brown is there Couple of other teams floating in and out of top 25. How is that different from the Big 10 with OSU as their top 5 mich pen st and wiscy Indiana lost to ole miss in the bowl game mich st been down
This. Big 10 football is consistently overrated.

The Big 10 needs Michigan to be good, as the ACC needs FSU to be good in football. VT is another program that used to be a power and now is mediocre.

Last edited:
A decade or so ago the SEC offered a package deal to bring in Duke and UNC, and were declined. Is it time to revisit that offer if it was an option?(pretend the gor wasn't a factor) It would bring each school a massive amount of more money and form a conference with three basketball ball blue bloods.

Honestly would the SEC want Duke football? I know they would want basketball but is it enough these days? Duke would need to put a ton of money into their football program for this to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT