ADVERTISEMENT

Team Freshman Wall + No Veteran Leadership =

dachampishere2

Cameron Crazy
Feb 15, 2017
...what we are seeing now. The freshmen have hit a collective wall. Duval and Bagley more than the other two. Not saying BAGLEY is playing bad but he's not as effective as early on. He has to counter how people are guarding him and add a new wrinkle. It'll come though.

DUVAL is going through a funk right now as well. At the beginning of the season, he was balling. Since conference play he has been up and down. It's expected because the pressure rises and the intensity on the road is through the roof. He just has to slow down and play his game. Unless he's comfortable we won't win. He is the key to us winning. It's time for Coach K to take the shackles off and let him do his thing. He's an attacker like Westbrook. He won't shoot many jumpers so you won't have to worry about him taking many shots outside of the lane. Drive-and-score or drive-and-dish is the best way for him to play. Sometimes Coach is going to have to just let them play. No play calls for stretches of the game. We need to play fast. These play calls slow us down at times

Trent and Carter are playing well. Trent has struggled on defense more but his shot is falling so I can live with that. Carter is playing great. I think he needs more shots per game. He and Bagley should each get 10 shots attempts per game.

Grayson Allen has been terrible. I only say that because he's a senior and he's expected to do more than what he's doing. I still don't think he should be handling the ball that much as a play initiator. That's not his strength and it puts added pressure on him. If he's going to be the shooter then run off screens and shoot or be a secondary ball handler. It's kind of bad how little he's giving us. He hasn't affected a game in so long. It's time for him to step it up or we can throw Jack White out there to start. We know he'll rebound, play hard and he's a good communicator on defense from what I've seen.

Could this be that they know what they are capable of? At the beginning of the season they had this will to win. All of a sudden we can't close out these close games. I believe we will turn it around and win the ACC and NCAA tournament. They know that there's no taking it easy or coming out flat in the NCAA tournament

Reactions: tripleb71
I’d like to have your confidence, but unfortunately, I don’t. This group doesn’t fit together, IMO. That’s just what I see....and I only see games.

In addition, I’m not sure the defensive issues are fixable at this point. I also don’t see us becoming a decent FT shooting team overnight. And lastly...effort. It’s almost as if it’s something ingrained. This team hasn’t shown they have it consistently all season. That’s worrisome.

We can beat anyone. Even in our losses, where in some of them we’ve been flat out awful, we were in position to win.

The only way I see Duval being able to do "his thing" is one big out there and spread the court. I'm not a fan of that, unless it's done in short stretches, but the biggest problem is Duval isn't a pass first point guard. He's too wild. I will agree with you on Grayson. Poor guy is playing with heart, but we don't need Matt Jones, we need something close to the 15-16 Grayson. Not sure we will, but would love to be wrong.
Our passing is bad. We don't make multiple passes unless it's Grayson making that extra pass.
Defensively, we are terrible for too many stretches. That's to me more on the 4 young guns, not that Allen is a lockdown defender.
I hope we get to our ceiling, because waiting on that sure isn't fun.

It's kind of bad how little he's giving us. He hasn't affected a game in so long. It's time for him to step it up or we can throw Jack White out there to start. We know he'll rebound, play hard and he's a good communicator on defense from what I've seen.
I'm with you on the rest, but I don't see Grayson's struggles as a matter of not playing hard and not communicating.

Winning cures all. I think we really need a win Sunday at GT to go to 20-5 and start trending in the right direction again. We are close. Frustratingly close. I would like to see AOC and Bolden get more minutes.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The only way I see Duval being able to do "his thing" is one big out there and spread the court. I'm not a fan of that, unless it's done in short stretches, but the biggest problem is Duval isn't a pass first point guard. He's too wild. I will agree with you on Grayson. Poor guy is playing with heart, but we don't need Matt Jones, we need something close to the 15-16 Grayson. Not sure we will, but would love to be wrong.
Our passing is bad. We don't make multiple passes unless it's Grayson making that extra pass.
Defensively, we are terrible for too many stretches. That's to me more on the 4 young guns, not that Allen is a lockdown defender.
I hope we get to our ceiling, because waiting on that sure isn't fun.

If Grayson was Matt Jones that actually would be perfect. Matt was a lockdown defender and if you left him open he would knock it down from the corners. Matt is exactly who he needs to be.

I’d like to have your confidence, but unfortunately, I don’t. This group doesn’t fit together, IMO. That’s just what I see....and I only see games.

In addition, I’m not sure the defensive issues are fixable at this point. I also don’t see us becoming a decent FT shooting team overnight. And lastly...effort. It’s almost as if it’s something ingrained. This team hasn’t shown they have it consistently all season. That’s worrisome.

We can beat anyone. Even in our losses, where in some of them we’ve been flat out awful, we were in position to win.

From how some speak you would think we have been getting blown out. Just sit back and think about our losses...Everyone single one we had a chance to win in the last minute. We're losing close games on the road. It's not like we're Kentucky getting blown out. The overreactions are just terrible

From how some speak you would think we have been getting blown out. Just sit back and think about our losses...Everyone single one we had a chance to win in the last minute. We're losing close games on the road. It's not like we're Kentucky getting blown out. The overreactions are just terrible
UK absolutely getting throttled right now! It’s awesome to watch!!

Did you even read his last sentence? Or did you mean others think we're being blown out?

I agree. This team is too big and lacks speed and quickness. Allen, AOC and Trent Jr have zero lateral quickness on D leaving guys wide up for three point shots or they blow right by them like they are statues.

Bagley while a tremendous athlete he can’t guard 6’3 to 6’7 shooting guards and small forwards on the perimeter.

If Grayson was Matt Jones that actually would be perfect. Matt was a lockdown defender and if you left him open he would knock it down from the corners. Matt is exactly who he needs to be.
Matt was perfect on the 15 title team, a role player that came in and played hard and took open shots. He hit some big ones, but he wouldn't help this team taking Allen's spot. The kid is struggling with his identity on offense, but right now I'm not sure he should go to the bench. He's the only one who knows how things need to be defensively.
We need ball movement, Goldwire would provide that, he would look to only take the open shot, and he can hit it. Duval is out of control too often. We actually have done better with him on the bench quite often. That's a sad fact.
We need two things, more touches for Carter and for Grayson to find his offense. Grayson is a warrior though.

We’ve won some games the same way. So while, yes, we could be 23-1, we could also be 16-8. That leads me to believe we’re probably right about where we should be. And right now, that’s not good enough to beat five good teams in a row.

Man what could have been if Luke’s stock would not have climbed so much last year. I really feel that GA needs that co-leader to bail out the team when he isn’t feeling it. He struggles being the lone senior. Trying to do to much

Man what could have been if Luke’s stock would not have climbed so much last year. I really feel that GA needs that co-leader to bail out the team when he isn’t feeling it. He struggles being the lone senior. Trying to do to much
Amen. A lot of posters don't seem to be able to grasp that. Trent has the easiest job of the starters. He doesn't have to worry about being a point guard, just take the open shot when you have one, and make some.

We’ve won some games the same way. So while, yes, we could be 23-1, we could also be 16-8. That leads me to believe we’re probably right about where we should be. And right now, that’s not good enough to beat five good teams in a row.

I can't agree with that because these are road games we are losing. Freshmen struggle on the road normally. Tournament settings are completely different. Majority of the time the crowd is split down the middle. They'll be fine in a tournament setting. Plus that's a month from now. They'll get better

Matt was perfect on the 15 title team, a role player that came in and played hard and took open shots. He hit some big ones, but he wouldn't help this team taking Allen's spot. The kid is struggling with his identity on offense, but right now I'm not sure he should go to the bench. He's the only one who knows how things need to be defensively.
We need ball movement, Goldwire would provide that, he would look to only take the open shot, and he can hit it. Duval is out of control too often. We actually have done better with him on the bench quite often. That's a sad fact.
We need two things, more touches for Carter and for Grayson to find his offense. Grayson is a warrior though.

Like I said once before we are handicapping Duval by just having him pass the ball around the perimeter. He's at his best attacking the goal or coming off pick and rolls. He's a freshman and will make mistakes. Tyus spoiled yall to death. Tyus isn't your normal freshman point guard. People have to accept that. Watch when Duval gets in the NBA and he can actually attack how much better he will look. Letting him penetrate and dish is what will open up the offense and make us unstoppable. Goldwire wouldn't give us too much. I like him but lets not act like he would be a difference maker. It's different playing in 2 minute spurts and playing 30 minutes

Like I said once before we are handicapping Duval by just having him pass the ball around the perimeter. He's at his best attacking the goal or coming off pick and rolls. He's a freshman and will make mistakes. Tyus spoiled yall to death. Tyus isn't your normal freshman point guard. People have to accept that. Watch when Duval gets in the NBA and he can actually attack how much better he will look. Letting him penetrate and dish is what will open up the offense and make us unstoppable. Goldwire wouldn't give us too much. I like him but lets not act like he would be a difference maker. It's different playing in 2 minute spurts and playing 30 minutes
I agree that Duval will probably do ok in the nba, but we're talking college, and the team shouldn't run around him. We have too many weapons to run offense to fit him all the time. We need ball movement unless you only play one big at a time, and that's not smart. So he needs to run the point better. Goldwire ain't as bad as some of y'all think, and with this team, he has less pressure while out there.

I agree that Duval will probably do ok in the nba, but we're talking college, and the team shouldn't run around him. We have too many weapons to run offense to fit him all the time. We need ball movement unless you only play one big at a time, and that's not smart. So he needs to run the point better. Goldwire ain't as bad as some of y'all think, and with this team, he has less pressure while out there.

So you think Goldwire would come in and do better than Duval?

i have to ECHO D-Jay's comments. I am not really sure this team "gets it". There are so many moving parts and the team looks to me like they don't know where they are supposed to be at any given time.

Defense- Well we are terrible. I mean horrible. Teams have just learned all they have to do is put the ball on the floor and dribble to the basket. There is no help side D in man to man. Layup after layup.

Offense: We constantly look like we are forcing plays rather than taking our time and finding the obvious mismatch. We invariably find some period where all we want to do is force ugly 3's - usually in the second half. Instead of pounding the ball down low.

Guard Play: As some of you know one of my "mantras" is that you need good guard play to be able to advance in the tournament. Compare this guard play to the "under control" play of Cook and Tyus in 2015. Plus no one seems to be a decent on ball defender except maybe Goldwire - but its tough to defend from the bench.

Effort: Well its just not there right now.And part of it is that the wrong guys are out there. Its tough to play 2 centers and run them up and down the court. I watched Carter out there with his hands on his hips exhausted in the second half. So maybe they learn and from this and get in better shape. Or maybe we substitute more.

One other thing I would add. We played MSU in the beginning of the year and played well. Early games are hard to judge. But Bagley was basically out the whole game and Carter played the low post. Its not the number of superstars its how they fit together.

I agree with the comments about Duval being an attacker. He gets hamstringed being in a pass from the perimeter first offense. The few games he has really shined were when he was attacking the rim. He is OAD and will play in the NBA.

I hear those who say the lane is clogged with two bigs which limits open driving lanes, two of the best in CBB by the way. I do get frustrated when those two elite big men are in the lane AND not getting any touches like the second half on Thursday.

IMHO Duval has to play big minutes. I would like to see some Goldwire at point with Grayson at the two for some periods in big games. Maybe even some Goldwire and AOC to give Duval and Allen a rest around the TV timeouts so they are fresh at the end of tight games.

Again just my humble opinion. It’s All speculation from an armchair QB who never coached above 7th grade CYO ball. ;)

Go Duke!

We would be even worse on defense.

Goldwire starting is NEVER gonna happen, he just isn't ready for that role. The guy didn't even play a meaningful minute in the UNC game, now were gonna start him? Yeah, that's funny.
I do think he needs to give us a good 10 min a game off the bench for ball security, preferably when we have built a lead, because Grayson handling the ball isn't the answer. We need Grayson to score, if he isn't scoring, than Jack should play over him.

Last edited:

There is a crowd here that has been calling for radical changes all year in who gets minutes. As soon as someone struggles the immediate answer is someone on our bench should have gotten his minutes.

I agree that we have been losing road games, which is very very common in college hoops. I mean look around and point out the teams that are consistently winning conference road games, nova and Virginia? That is about it.

With that said we also don’t have a great recipe for a March run. Yes the talent is there but we struggle with composure when the intensity goes up, just think of March. We can’t continue to let these 20-6 runs happen in and out of half and constantly force us to will our way back late, just can’t win those games regularly.

As I have previously said and agree with many some of our changes are not fixable at this point. Our defense is what it is, our free throw shooting is what it is. But there are still correctable issues, like boxing out, ball security that could save us points and maybe put us in a position to make that run.

But most of all we just need to start winning again. Sports are funny man. When a team is losing it will drive you nuts just how many things you can point out that need correcting and it almost becomes an unsolveable puzzle. But we’ve seen how well this team plays with a little bounce in their step, the talent really shines through. This team needs to start believing in themselves again and I think we’ll get some of that going forward.

In the role Duke needs out of their point guard, yes I do. Doesn't mean I think he's better, just that Duval has had 24 games and he's too inconsistent.
Now I know what will happen if Duval plays well, some will come on here and bash the suggestion that he sits.
K has done things like this in the past, and right now, it's past time for Duval to get some tough love. We need ball movement, not a top ten dunk.

Reactions: pisgah101
In the role Duke needs out of their point guard, yes I do. Doesn't mean I think he's better, just that Duval has had 24 games and he's too inconsistent.
Now I know what will happen if Duval plays well, some will come on here and bash the suggestion that he sits.
K has done things like this in the past, and right now, it's past time for Duval to get some tough love. We need ball movement, not a top ten dunk.

Ok

Really think Duval will do well? Maybe but at this point I don't see it. For the sake of the program he better start playing and producing or this year will end ugly

Very interested to see how tonight's game goes. If we win in impressive fashion I think we are in decent shape going forward. Bolden and AOC giving us good minutes are a good sign. I don't want to think about us losing, as this will put a lot of pressure on a young fragile team. Like I said before we are close. I would think for the coaches the hardest thing to do is to not panic and make drastic changes, despite what many, including myself, have been suggesting. Maybe Coach K sees small improvement even in losses and is holding steady. We really need this game tonight. Go Duke!

Duval gets a little more under control and Grayson hits some shots, and we'll be fine. We're not going to see any radical changes, too much difference in talent between the starters and the bench.

Really think Duval will do well? Maybe but at this point I don't see it. For the sake of the program he better start playing and producing or this year will end ugly

I bet you weren’t saying that at the beginning of the year when he was balling though. The dude has just hit a freshmen wall and he’s not attacking like he was earlier. For us to be good we need him penetrating a lot more. Being that Carter is a reliable 3 pt shooter we can let those two run the pick and pop. That spreads the floor and leave Bagley in for the lob

Duval will be a much improved and becoming a great player for some NBA team next season.

Yep. Goldwire would at least try to get others involved, no flashy crap that creates TOs and would shoot the open jumper. He would be team first and he would be about the 7th option for scoring if he started and u sweat and that LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT