ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

Agreed Chris! Jack and Tyrese were/are so fundamentally sound. Both strong kids who understand the game. I know Jack had a bit of a rough last year shooting the ball, but he was still a great captain and leader. I really expect big things out of Proctor next year. Maybe some of us from this board should head down under on a recruiting trip???

Agreed Chris! Jack and Tyrese were/are so fundamentally sound. Both strong kids who understand the game. I know Jack had a bit of a rough last year shooting the ball, but he was still a great captain and leader. I really expect big things out of Proctor next year. Maybe some of us from this board should head down under on a recruiting trip???
I'm in. My son, who graduated from Duke, did his semester abroad in Sydney. Says he would go back in a heartbeat. OFC

I have been fortunate to go to Sydney a few times for work. It's really very nice there. The food is great. It's clean, and the people are super friendly. I'll start looking for flights, or maybe charter a private jet??

We've often wondered what they guys could do as sophs. Now we find out. Look at how good Williams and even Hurt did.

He just signed a new NIL deal after the ACC tournament.
If he comes back, there is really no reason to go after a BIG. We will be loaded with with sf/pf. Let them play D and help out. Flip, Reeves and Young should be enough.

If he comes back, there is really no reason to go after a BIG. We will be loaded with with sf/pf. Let them play D and help out. Flip, Reeves and Young should be enough.
I feel Flip is a natural 4 in college, especially with how he likes to stand out at the 3 point line, he also can hold his own with perimeter defense.

Holmes is a true 5, and would be a perfect compliment to Flip. Holmes is much better than Young and much further along than Reeves.

If Flip returns, than TJ Power probably doesn’t have a chance for minutes next season, but hopefully he sticks around and honors his commitment.

Flip isn’t a 5 in college and won’t be in the NBA. How often did he play the 5 this year? I promise you, if that’s the pitch that Scheyer is giving him, then forget about it anyway because he isn’t coming back. It would be pointless for him to.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
This is just like why Roach probably won’t be back. Proctor is the point guard. Roach is already getting his degree early. If he wants to go any further in his basketball career then he’ll transfer or explore pro options. He’s already undersized as a point guard. He’s definitely undersized for a shooting guard. He won’t have much time at the Point here at Duke going forward.

Reactions: jamsession3
Flip is not a 5. I love Young, Reeves is another year at least away unless he makes some huge gains. We need a traditional 5 like Holmes.
Holmes is an active Junior 4/5. Many have said, as active he was at Dayton, he lacks offense skills to be a traditional 5. He's more of a slasher 4. That does not take anything from him because you can not take away his experience.

Mitch/Mac/Sean/TJ are the 3/4 for next year. The 4/5 are hopefully Flip/Reeves/Young. I like Holmes, but he will have to adjust his touches and possibly not score as much as he did in the A10.

This is just like why Roach probably won’t be back. Proctor is the point guard. Roach is already getting his degree early. If he wants to go any further in his basketball career then he’ll transfer or explore pro options. He’s already undersized as a point guard. He’s definitely undersized for a shooting guard. He won’t have much time at the Point here at Duke going forward.
Roach will be fine, even if he comes back. Its the rest of the team we will need to discuss. As for his position at the pg or sg, if either won wins a ship for us, I could care less. Cook was a combo, went to the G - League and NBA, won a ship and the rest of his life should go okay.

WHAT IF Flip and his people believe his best chance at a long NBA career is at the 5 position. Which is probably the case because 5’s in the NBA now stand out at the 3 point line too.

And he wants to use this upcoming Duke season to showcase his abilities at the 5. Having lively didn’t allow that this year. Just throwing it out there…

Also; next years Draft is looking to be very weak as the upcoming freshman college class is down. That had to at least factor a tiny bit into Proctors decision IMO.

Reactions: jamsession3
WHAT IF Flip and his people believe his best chance at a long NBA career is at the 5 position. Which is probably the case because 5’s in the NBA now stand out at the 3 point line too.

And he wants to use this upcoming Duke season to showcase his abilities at the 5. Having lively didn’t allow that this year. Just throwing it out there…

Also; next years Draft is looking to be very weak as the upcoming freshman college class is down. That had to at least factor a tiny bit into Proctors decision IMO.
I agree with this idea. Also, that's one more year for his body to mature. I think this upcoming season will be about good fit and bridging the gaps from last season. Addition by subtraction may answer a lot of questions for this team.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
If flip comes back he absolutely needs to play the 5. It’s a complete matchup nightmare, you can literally run Miami’s offense but have size too. Pull him out of the paint and it’s wide open, duke would be hell to defend. You could literally have five 3pt shooters in at all times

Again, if Flip is our starting five next year, we will need to temper our expectations for the season. He's a 4. Next season he would need to work on becoming a better 3pt shooter and could be seen as a stretch 4 option. He's not a 5. He will never be a 5. He may play some at the position next season, and that's fine. But if he starts all year at the 5, we're in trouble.

Again, if Flip is our starting five next year, we will need to temper our expectations for the season. He's a 4. Next season he would need to work on becoming a better 3pt shooter and could be seen as a stretch 4 option. He's not a 5. He will never be a 5. He may play some at the position next season, and that's fine. But if he starts all year at the 5, we're in trouble.
I'm in total agreement with everything you said outside of the expectations being temper. If our sf and pf can play defense and rebound Duke will be fine. Do we really need Flip shooting a bunch of 3pts? Or do we want Flip to mix it up and play near the basket and shoot the 3pt?

Play Flip with Reeves and Young if you want him at the traditional 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT