ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer staff

I think it would be tough for Quinn, Wojo and Capel to coach under a younger guy.

Last edited:
he was there for three years, one of which was the covid season. not really a fair assessment of his coaching ability
How is this not a fair assessment? It's not even an assessment in that I didn't provide any commentary, much less it being unfair. All I did was give his record as a head coach. The fact that the numbers alone make you feel the need to defend them probably speaks for itself, however.

Having said that, if someone had asked me if I'd be surprised that the person we'd bring on the Duke coaching staff would be a coach with a losing record (.38) from a mediocre program in a mediocre mid major conference then I'd definitely say yes.

If his record at Elon was something like 75-15 then we'd use those numbers to speak of his success at that program, not argue that they're unrepresentative.

Last edited:
Not many guys who have been head coaches, esp. alphas, would be willing to do that. That's why I think the Elon guy was a smart hire. No way Quinn is going from NBA coach to getting Jon's morning Latte.

I don’t care if we go out of the Brotherhood for a hire or not, but going out of it *is* unusual.

So going out of the Brotherhood is weird, but going out of the Brotherhood to hire a coach from a mid major who — admittedly based on a small sample size — hasn’t been successful is a super weird hire, imo. If we went out of the Duke Family for a hire, I would have only believed it would have been for a much higher profile candidate.

I don’t care if we go out of the Brotherhood for a hire or not, but going out of it *is* unusual.

So going out of the Brotherhood is weird, but going out of the Brotherhood to hire a coach from a mid major who — admittedly based on a small sample size — hasn’t been successful is a super weird hire, imo. If we went out of the Duke Family for a hire, I would have only believed it would have been for a much higher profile candidate.
I hear you but it's tricky. You can't hire too high profile a guy, otherwise there could be power struggles or calls for the assistant to replace Jon if things go south. K probably had a say in this so it sounds clever to me. At least this guy has been a head coach for a few years and could stay on for a while. He's also been an assistant at several places. Maybe K targeted him as an up and coming x's and o's guy who could help Jon. And maybe his teams box out. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: The_Only_Blue

I agree

I hear you but it's tricky. You can't hire too high profile a guy, otherwise there could be power struggles or calls for the assistant to replace Jon if things go south. K probably had a say in this so it sounds clever to me. At least this guy has been a head coach for a few years and could stay on for a while. He's also been an assistant at several places. Maybe K targeted him as an up and coming x's and o's guy who could help Jon. And maybe his teams box out. :)
I mean, you may be totally right but it’s all speculation and the wishful thinking of hopeful mindset right now. He has work that we can actually look at and, just based on what he’s done so far, it isn’t good. Hiring a coach that, on paper, looks very questionable for a program like Duke being some 4D chess move is something I hope you’re right about haha.

I follow some NBA guys and supposedly there's rumor that the Utah Jazz are making changes once their season ends in the playoffs. Don't think Quinn would want to be an assistant though.
Quinn has six NBA teams that have already said if the Jazz do part ways they are going after him unless he’s just done with the league he has others teams

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
You have to have coaching minds on staff. Not every coach has to be a great player. And if you can get a good mix of coach/past player you are in good shape. I think this is a great first hire for Jon. Wojo next(coach/player mix). Everyone available has failed or "lacked" somewhere or they would now be at a major program or unavailable to even have a discussion about becoming an assistant to a new coach imo... It would be nice to have a JJ or Sheldon Williams on board too(Long shot for both) I know I abuse the Williams name as a potential coach, but defense will always be a must. And I hate to bring race and society up, but being able to adapt and appeal to the recruits and their families MATTER... AND Duke has lost 3 Coaches that were HUGE, and very beneficial to this aspect of recruiting and coaching in the past 4 seasons. (Capel, Nate James, now Nolan)

Reactions: christophero
I don’t know about that . Butler is probably his best reference and although he was with Dawkins when they had Reid and that guard they didn’t do much .
time will tell but I’ll hold my reservation.
Hey Shey, just curious what you mean by Butler being his best reference? He worked under Chris Holtmann at Butler, for one season, and then followed him to Ohio State, for the next 3 seasons. I think Holtmann is a pretty good coach. That said, he has 8 years as an assistant under Dawkins and 3 years as a assistant under Holtmann. It's not a bad resume at all.

Quinn would of been an out of this world head coach hire
He does have some recruiting scandals in his time as a college coach, which would undoubtedly be brought up if he were to return to the college game.

We cannot completely judge how someone would be as an assistant based on their time as a head coach. You know, I always hated the goals question or where do you see yourself in 5 years question on interviews. They all want the "i want to be the one in charge" answer. I am not an alpha. I recognize I would not be good as a boss or supervisor role. I have come to realize I would rather be the guy the guy counts on rather than the guy. Nothing wrong with that. Some people are brilliant assistants who should never be a head coach. But those brilliant assistants have outsiders chirping about being a head coach so they make a bad decision based on "well, of course you should be a head coach." I don't know how he will be as a hire. Count me as a get someone outside the brotherhood. Who? I don't know. I am not that knowledgeable. But we need some outsider input. He may have been in the program under K, but I like the idea of a guy who should not go with the status quo just because "that is what we have always done."

One guy we absolutely do not want on the staff is traitor Jay Williams. He is worse than Billas. Lately he has opined that Hubert out-coached K, that the loss of Nolan may loosen or release our commitments from Lively and Whitehead, and that because of the loss of Nolan, K might have no choice but to pull a Tom Brady and unretire. In my mind, to even suggest such losses on the air through mere speculation is irresponsible and unnecessarily disloyal. It suggests that Scheyer is incapable of carrying the load without Nolan. You don't hear Kenny Smith and other Cheat reporters making such negative statements about UNC. Anyway, I am PO'd at Jay, whose real name while at Duke is Jason. OFC

Last edited:
Hey Shey, just curious what you mean by Butler being his best reference? He worked under Chris Holtmann at Butler, for one season, and then followed him to Ohio State, for the next 3 seasons. I think Holtmann is a pretty good coach. That said, he has 8 years as an assistant under Dawkins and 3 years as a assistant under Holtmann. It's not a bad resume at all.
In terms of successful teams or rather over achieving Butler would be the highest up there . I’m just not sure how he would fit on the staff.

One guy we absolutely do not want on the staff is traitor Jay Williams. He is worse than Billas. Lately he has opined that Hubert out-coached K, that the loss of Nolan may loosen or release our commitments from Lively and Whitehead, and that because of the loss of Nolan, K might have no choice but to pull a Tom Brady and unretire. In my mind, to even suggest such losses on the air through mere speculation is irresponsible and unnecessarily disloyal. It suggests that Scheyer is incapable of carrying the load without Nolan. You don't hear Kenny Smith and other Cheat reporters making such negative statements about UNC. Anyway, I am PO'd at Jay, whose real name while at Duke is Jason. OFC
Didn’t want to be the one to say this but you are correct it sounds like he has no confidence in scheyer

In terms of successful teams or rather over achieving Butler would be the highest up there . I’m just not sure how he would fit on the staff.
Gotcha, that makes sense. Although, I'm seeing reports that say he will not be a bench coach, but in a non-traditional role. That could still mean Jon will need to hire another assistant. That said, I would still hope the new assistant would have experience.

If recruits started flip flopping to Louisville that would be terrible. But that seems unlikely.

If recruits started flip flopping to Louisville that would be terrible. But that seems unlikely.
It would seem very unlikely. Plus, I thought there was a rule or an unwritten rule where you can't/shouldn't call a kid who has already signed their LOI. I doubt Nolan would do that.

Reactions: christophero
I love everything Jay Will did for duke but he’s fell into the espn trap of hot take cornballs. For him to even speculate K would come back is embarrassing . His takes are horrible
LGD he's become somewhat "embarrassing" IMO. VERY impressed w/himself like Bilas. Best thing "Gameday" ever did was replacing him with LaPhonso Ellis.

OFC

I like JWill but his involvement with Duke seems very tenuous at this point. I never heard of him being considered for a coaching position.

Reactions: hart2chesson
He hasnt slipped into Kyrie territory, but he's on the way. Still he got us a natty. But on the radio he was just doing bad take after bad take and joking about how much he loves to gamble.

LGD he's become somewhat "embarrassing" IMO. VERY impressed w/himself like Bilas. Best thing "Gameday" ever did was replacing him with LaPhonso Ellis.

OFC
He’s fine for the most part on gameday but when he’s on espn am with max and key, different story.

So shrage isn’t an actual assistant but a “special assistant.. so we still have to replace Nolan and Jon.. interesting.

So shrage isn’t an actual assistant but a “special assistant.. so we still have to replace Nolan and Jon.. interesting.
You assume one of those spots will go to Amile, so it's probably only 1 more assistant position open. Then you just have to replace Amile's old position.

You assume one of those spots will go to Amile, so it's probably only 1 more assistant position open. Then you just have to replace Amile's old position.
I don’t assume.it may go to him but I feel that’s a little quick for amile.. maybes he’s great at it though who knows

I don’t assume.it may go to him but I feel that’s a little quick for amile.. maybes he’s great at it though who knows
Actually, that's a good point. I shouldn't assume that either and truth be told, I would like more experience on the bench with Jon and Chris.

Reactions: pisgah101
What exactly does a special assistant do? Does that mean he's in an office type position and not on bench? Sorry for the dumb question

Reactions: geddoughton23
What exactly does a special assistant do? Does that mean he's in an office type position and not on bench? Sorry for the dumb question
I was thinking it had to do with NCAA compliance and things .

I'm all for Amile becoming an assistant coach. I think he can teach post play and BOXING OUT as well as anyone out there.

That's not to say we don't need an experienced guy to whisper in Jon's ear when necessary. That's a different guy altogether.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT