ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Nike scandal?

Nike might or might not be involved in shady dealings but imo the more tweets that I see from this Avenetti guy the more it seems like he’s just trying to save his own behind by trying to take others down since he knows that he’s already been caught

Last edited:
I at least understand what you’re saying. It’s a little but like the hypotheticals with baseball and steroids.

If you can’t beat them, join them? I can tell you as it pertains to baseball, the game was almost more fun when they weren’t illegal.

As it has to do with big time D1 hoops, the NCAA is kidding itself with what it sells. I and guarantee you they know....
It reminds me of hearing Bill Burr talking about Lance Armstrong using steroids and how everyone is "supposed" to be shocked and appalled by it. Like no, of course he did. They all did. Our roided up guy beat your roided up guy.

If a blue chip recruit is interested in an Adidas endorsed college and Adidas pays him and/or his family so he signs the letter of intent, I find it nearly impossible to believe that the same narrative isn’t in effect at every Adidas endorsed college. As much as it would suck considering Duke is endorsed by Nike - If they were on the hot seat, I’d express the same opinion.

I think the part that intrigues me the most is the NCAA getting the nod from authorities a few months ago to “conduct investigations” — If you sit back and think about it, it makes substantially more sense for the NCAA to work WITH schools and companies on hiding private information. Although they are a governing body, it’s still a business. Ticket sales, $ for TV ratings, etc. will dramatically decrease if all the big dogs are wrecked. After all, companies paying players isn’t hurting the NCAA’s pocket. For the sake of being pointlessly hypothetical... Let’s say the NCAA discovered a bust on Zion/Duke. Morally, Zion should be ruled ineligible to participate further and Duke should receive post-season ban. Financially, banning America’s most watched team and the biggest name in college basketball is a blow to the pocket-book. I’m just using Zion and Duke as an example, Player/School is interchangeable with all the big names.

giphy.gif

I love Duke as much as everyone else but I would be willing to bet something went on with his mom.
Usually where there is smoke there is fire.

I agree with those who say Avenatti has no credibility. For those who say where there is smoke there's fire, I respond with Nike would have paid him and his client go-away money if there was a fire. Companies do it every day.

As far as what she was given or not given, companies give people BS jobs every day based on who they know. As long as it wasn't specifically for him to go to Duke I'm confident there is nothing there.

Finally, sports fans overlook logic a lot of times when trying to play gotcha with the next guy. My favorite example of this was the Tami Hansbrough stuff.

Granted we all like to bash UNC, but seriously, in the late 00s and early 10s who would you rather have working in development and fundraising at Chape Hill than someone with the last name Hansbrough? Seriously there whole job is to network, get in front of people and get checks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT