ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- game 8- Duke Vs Purdont

Agreed. The make-up of this team is bizarre IMO. No elite guards, and this is a guards game. Roach has improved it seems but if he's the go to I think Duke may be in trouble. Flip seems to be the real deal though, dude plays hard!
Coach S hasn't figured out the right combo yet. Hopefully, a couple youngsters will step up. I honestly can't remember Duke ever shooting 10% from the 3-pt line. Go Duke!

Coach S hasn't figured out the right combo yet. Hopefully, a couple youngsters will step up. I honestly can't remember Duke ever shooting 10% from the 3-pt line. Go Duke!
Did Duke do it a couple of games Zion and RJ’s season?

Well that was a beatdown...no substitute for experience and organization. Loved to see an old school basketball team that is well coached and organized on both ends...age and experience will beat youth and enthusiasm any day of the week....Coach S has some growing to do too

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
We ran into a team that is clicking on all cylinders, and we aren’t. The good news is it’s still early.
As mentioned by others, we have to get better production from at least 2 players not named Roach or Flip. Proctor was a little better today though. Mitchell, Whitehead, and Lively are nowhere near their ratings.
I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone with such an awkward (ugly) looking shot as Mitchell has.

We ran into a team that is clicking on all cylinders, and we aren’t. The good news is it’s still early.
As mentioned by others, we have to get better production from at least 2 players not named Roach or Flip. Proctor was a little better today though. Mitchell, Whitehead, and Lively are nowhere near their ratings.
I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone with such an awkward (ugly) looking shot as Mitchell has.
I said the same thing about Mitchell's shot in post 169. Looks like he's aiming and pushing it towards the basket

I get he’s open but there is a reason why. His shot . I was surprised he didn’t attack more .

Reactions: Mac9192
Roach
Proctor
Grandison
Whitehead
Flip

That’s our starting five that can score…

Bring on Lively and Ryan with Blake’s and Mitchell use Schutt for some offensive spacing with that group….only need a few minutes out of them.

That five starting is how we win…..others have to know their roles….

And he was the #1 recruit? Sheesh 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Yes, but keep in mind around 10-12 guys ranked ahead of him reclassed or went to the Ignite team. Read an article about this.
Emoni Bates, Jalen Duren, Scoot Henderson, the Thompson twins, Shaedon Sharpe.....those are just off the top of my head.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Roach
Proctor
Grandison
Whitehead
Flip

That’s our starting five that can score…

Bring on Lively and Ryan with Blake’s and Mitchell use Schutt for some offensive spacing with that group….only need a few minutes out of them.

That five starting is how we win…..others have to know their roles….
Did you really add Grandison in there? What has he done to prove he can score against good competition or guard for that matter?
Now if you move Mitchell to the four and add in Whitehead I can agree .

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Eh. We made it to the final game of a preseason tournament. That's a good thing. We beat an NCAA tournament team in Xavier. LOTS of top ranked teams lost this weekend. The final score is not really indicative of the game. We had the lead down to 6 points with 6+ minutes left. After that, we really went off the rails. Lots of bunnies missed. Until the last 5 minutes, I thought our defense was solid, and I liked us mixing up zone, man and even the press. Also, Purdue is a veteran team with a BIG big man who gave us fits, and I thought they played a very solid game today. They outplayed us and deserved the win. I am hopeful this will be a loss we can build upon.

The way too early, biggest concerns for me......

Lively/Whitehead - I am NOT bashing these kids in any way. They have battled injury and have only had a handful of collegiate games to get up to speed. I hope they develop into top tier players, but right now, I am just not seeing it....not even close IMHO.

3 point shooting is a problem. So far; KU 14%, Delaware 22%, Oregon St 17%, Today 10%. I really think the staff needs to figure out how we are going to score. I am not on the staff, but jacking up 20 threes and shooting under 20% make for games where even weaker talent can stick around. I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night though!

I still believe we are going to be fine, and we will be a force by the end of conference play, but I think we need to be prepared for a bumpy road over the next month.

I admittedly don’t follow recruiting much…but I just looked up Schutt.

He was the Number 1 3pt shooter in high school class last year. How is this kid not getting minutes on a team where nobody can shoot at all?

He had a game last year with 17 threes…sheesh!

Eh. We made it to the final game of a preseason tournament. That's a good thing. We beat an NCAA tournament team in Xavier. LOTS of top ranked teams lost this weekend. The final score is not really indicative of the game. We had the lead down to 6 points with 6+ minutes left. After that, we really went off the rails. Lots of bunnies missed. Until the last 5 minutes, I thought our defense was solid, and I liked us mixing up zone, man and even the press. Also, Purdue is a veteran team with a BIG big man who gave us fits, and I thought they played a very solid game today. They outplayed us and deserved the win. I am hopeful this will be a loss we can build upon.

The way too early, biggest concerns for me......

Lively/Whitehead - I am NOT bashing these kids in any way. They have battled injury and have only had a handful of collegiate games to get up to speed. I hope they develop into top tier players, but right now, I am just not seeing it....not even close IMHO.

3 point shooting is a problem. So far; KU 14%, Delaware 22%, Oregon St 17%, Today 10%. I really think the staff needs to figure out how we are going to score. I am not on the staff, but jacking up 20 threes and shooting under 20% make for games where even weaker talent can stick around. I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night though!

I still believe we are going to be fine, and we will be a force by the end of conference play, but I think we need to be prepared for a bumpy road over the next month.

Excellent post

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I am sure it’s because of defense….but aye caramba….we got plenty of dogs on D open up the floor and driving lanes and get this kid into the game!!

He was the Number 1 3pt shooter in high school class last year. How is this kid not getting minutes on a team where nobody can shoot at all?

He’s a Baker, O’Connell, Murphy in the making. His first two games when he got those spot minutes I think he was like 1-3 each game .

I believe it’s because he can’t play D well enough yet. Scheyer has made it clear that D is what will get you on the floor. But if we keep getting zoned and shoot the way we have, he may have to bend that rule.

Overall not a great tournament for us. We nearly lost to Oregon State, had a nice win against Xavier, and then lost by 19 to Purdue. I'm not sure what to make of this team yet. Lively and Whitehead should come around, but they are progressing slower than a lot of us had hoped. Whitehead was out longer so it is understandable. Proctor looked better today, which is a positive sign. We've just become so dependent on impact freshman. A win against OSU Wed. would go a long way to restoring confidence. I'm glad it's at home. If no more injuries (and Roach is okay) hopefully we see real progress by January.

Last edited:
Overall not a great tournament for us. We nearly lost to Oregon State, had a nice win against Xavier, and then lost by 19 to Purdue. I'm not sure what to make of this team yet. Lively and Whitehead should come around, but they are progressing slower than a lot of us had hoped. Whitehead was out longer so it is understandable. Proctor looked better today, which is a positive sign. We've just become so dependent on impact freshman. A win against OSU Wed. would go a long way to restoring confidence. If no more injuries hopefully we see real progress by January.
No, a better run on offense would improve confidence in this team. I’ll give you Whitehead but Lively is really making me scratch my head badly . Not sure , just like Grandison what he does different then Reeves other then being a high recruit. Not to mention when Reeves got in he looked fine for what his minute and a half he got .
Flip and Roach looked gassed at the end . Proctor stepped up and hopefully he can keep it up . Long season

Reactions: pisgah101
I’ll ask again! What four shooters does Duke have that has proven to hit outside shots non- stop? Answer , None . Didn’t need to double team . Lively did good at first but it’s a forty minute game. I will say once Lively picked up two fouls Reeves should have came in just to save Flip.
Flip was depleted at the end of this game . Him and Roach need constant help to give them a breather from having to be the only two scorers for Duke !
This is one of the moments I agree with Reeves not redshirting.

Reactions: Liftee
Next person that says Lively needs more time . Read his recruiting reports .All scouts and analyst never questioned his upside . It was always his motor . He still practiced with the team up until his strain and was the starter. His injury wasn’t like Whitehead’s when he hasn’t done almost anything since the break. He played good against Edey. We all saw it in the first few minutes of the game . He’s got to be more assertive down low to help out Flip.

Reactions: pisgah101
Well the alternative to saying Lively needs more time is to admit he is not very good and/or question his motor, and I'm trying to be respectful of the kid and not go there yet. It's still the first month of the season. Some guys need more time to develop. Plus he is a kid who relies on his explosiveness, and that may have been affected by his injury.

Last edited:
Well the alternative to saying Lively needs more time is to admit he is not very good and/or question his motor, and I'm trying to be respectful of the kid and not go there yet. It's still the first month of the season. Some guys need more time to develop. Plus he is a kid who relies on his explosiveness, and that may have been affected by his injury.
Lively was never explosive down low . He’s clearly a put back, rebound and defend player . His best attribute is defense . Sometimes I wish us as fans would sit back and actually read recruiting reports and not just ranking reports . There was the one play when he turned it over trying to pass it out to Roach . I’m pretty sure Scheyers comments to him after watching film will be , “ When your seven foot and three players are on you , you go back up with it and either get blocked or draw the foul. Today was a good game for him against a physical, older seven footer. That said , he’s right where a lot of people thought he would be adapting to playing at this level. It ain’t got nothing to do with his injury any more it’s him believing he can play !

I've seen Whitehead dominate and I still believe he'll figure out what he can and cannot do. Lively though is very limited and right now has no confidence in his offensive game. He may just be a defensive guy this year and he'll learn an offensive game sitting on some NBA team's bench.

Lively should be a 2 year guy like Mark Williams, but obviously he won't be.
His last two games he’s averaged two blocks per game . That said he needs to learn how to rebound and score in more ways then put backs. A lot of time left in the season and Christmas break is right around the corner for more time to figure it out .

Other than defense what was Lively's game in HS? How much if an offensive game did he have?
None apparently. I guess I’ll have to start following recruiting more closely and manage my expectations better the next time we get a # 1 ranked recruit. I just assumed he could score outside of five ft. Craziest sh I’ve ever seen.

Hopefully a bunch of guys come back and join next years class for another Final 4 type team. Just doesn’t look like one year is enough this time. Nothing wrong with that. Hundreds of Division 1 teams bring all the underclass men back.

Reactions: hart2chesson
None apparently. I guess I’ll have to start following recruiting more closely and manage my expectations better the next time we get a # 1 ranked recruit. I just assumed he could score outside of five ft. Craziest sh I’ve ever seen.
Nope. His offense was always going to need work. Think Mark Williams and that is Lively. This level is going to be a big adjustment for his offensive game but in his defense it’s also not like Dukes guards are throwing up lobs to the bigs . Got to figure out the offense .

I was done with the hype about recruiting class rankings after the last couple of years, and seeing this years "#1" class confirms to me that those rankings mean nothing. Its going to be a tough year for Coach S in his first season as more seasoned teams and coaches are going to sit back and let us jack up 20+ 3's a game because at the moment we haven't proved we can hit them...so they are basically turnovers.

The problem isn't freshman needing time to develop. That is fine. The problem is we rely on freshman and they are only here one year. Lively is no offensive threat, Mitchell not much of one unless he is driving, and teams are keying in on Flip. We need Whitehead to come on strong, but even he looks a little iffy on offense so far. Roach is not going to play every game like Xavier either. He can only do so much.

We are basically part high school all star team, part college team, part mid major ( transfers).....a weird alchemy to try to build a successful one year season

I was done with the hype about recruiting class rankings after the last couple of years, and seeing this years "#1" class confirms to me that those rankings mean nothing. Its going to be a tough year for Coach S in his first season as more seasoned teams and coaches are going to sit back and let us jack up 20+ 3's a game because at the moment we haven't proved we can hit them...so they are basically turnovers.

I agree. Take Kal’el Ware for example. He’s pretty similar to Lively but has a little more of an offensive game and is a little more assertive. I honestly could not believe scouts had Lively higher than him and he’s currently doing decent over at Oregon. Check out his highlights on YouTube and other than hitting a couple outside shots, there’s zero reason Lively can’t do the same things right now. Obviously the ranking was banking on how he will look in 3 years.

I do wish some site would come out with recruiting rankings focused more on college impact to remove the “potential” bias out of the ranking. This is why I’m higher on a guy like Jared McCain. He doesn’t wow you with supreme combine-like numbers but I bet he plays above his ranking next year.

Reactions: KDSTONE
We are basically part high school all star team, part college team, part mid major ( transfers).....a weird alchemy to try to build a successful one year season
Young is a much needed pickup. Grandison… if we got a sharpshooter out of the portal they’d prob pull a Baker or AOC but we gotta try or like Chris said we’ll be awfully easy to scheme and defend

Agree den!

OFC

Was working yesterday during the game so I missed it. Yikes! Hope the guys play a lot better Wednesday night. Ohio State will bring it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT