ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- game 8- Duke Vs Purdont

pisgah101

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 26, 2005
Championship Sunday-
330 on ABC duke currently sits as a 1.5 point favorite to finish up in Portland

This one has the feels of an elite eight game with the two day turn around from a good Xavier team. Purdue has played a solid schedule with their only close game coming against Marquette. They are coached by one of the better coaches in America in Matt Painter, who could also double as any preacher from any movie you’ve ever seen. He has an overall record of 409-197 and is one of only three schools to have made it to 4 of the last 5 sweet 16s. Matt played ball at Purdue and didn’t waste time going into coaching as soon as his playing career was over.

Purdue is led by a giant in 7’4 and it’ll be fun seeing how Jon rotates our bigs to attempt to contain him..

Duke-65
Purdue-59

*purdont comes from the year Illinois was undefeated for so long in basketball. I was watching espn and Purdue was up a good bit of the game but ended up losing. One of the commentators said don’t ever trust Purdont to get a job done

Championship Sunday-
330 on ABC duke currently sits as a 1.5 point favorite to finish up in Portland

This one has the feels of an elite eight game with the two day turn around from a good Xavier team. Purdue has played a solid schedule with their only close game coming against Marquette. They are coached by one of the better coaches in America in Matt Painter, who could also double as any preacher from any movie you’ve ever seen. He has an overall record of 409-197 and is one of only three schools to have made it to 4 of the last 5 sweet 16s. Matt played ball at Purdue and didn’t waste time going into coaching as soon as his playing career was over.

Purdue is led by a giant in 7’4 and it’ll be fun seeing how Jon rotates our bigs to attempt to contain him..

Duke-65
Purdue-59

*purdont comes from the year Illinois was undefeated for so long in basketball. I was watching espn and Purdue was up a good bit of the game but ended up losing. One of the commentators said don’t ever trust Purdont to get a job done

The preacher analogy was fantastic, not to mention spot on! Should be a good test today for both teams.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pisgah101
Duke 75
Purdue 69

I think the guards come out firing. Key will be if their 7 footer comes out on the perimeter to guard flip .

Duke 65
Purdue 62

Not hugely confident but I am counting on Roach continuing his good play from last game and Whitehead beginning to show why he was ranked so high. I could be wrong but my expectations for Lively are steadily being lowered. He truly reminds me of a UK player from a few years ago. WCS was the guy, I think? Long athlete who took a few years to become a really good player. Just saw sheyduke's comment. It would be to Duke's advantage I think if Duke played a lineup that forced Purdue's huge center to guard outside.

This one could go either way. Do we get the Roach of yesterday or the Roach of the few games before that? This will be a big test for Lively. It seems like as Roach goes we go, against good teams. If we could get their big guy in foul trouble that will help. Maybe Ryan can foul him out with his YMCA moves.
Duke 74
Purdue 71

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
This one could go either way. Do we get the Roach of yesterday or the Roach of the few games before that? This will be a big test for Lively. It seems like as Roach goes we go, against good teams. If we could get their big guy in foul trouble that will help. Maybe Ryan can foul him out with his YMCA moves.
Duke 74
Purdue 71
If Young guards him by hisself , Young is in early foul trouble . Need to take one or the other away . Either him or their guards . I’d take away the guards . They have size to match up with Duke .

Reactions: christophero
It'll come down to how we defend Edey. Have to play him tough but not get into foul trouble. I think we let him have his and defend the other guys. We do those and Roach played like he did the other day we win.

Duke 68
Purdue 64

I remember that Coach K would sometimes let the star on the other team get his and try to shut down everyone else. There was that game in Indiana where Shelden couldn't stop Indiana's post guy but the rest of the team shut down Indiana and Duke won. I doubt Edey will torch us for over 30 and if we make him work for let's say 23 points, we can still hold Purdue to 60 and score more than that ourselves.

Reactions: christophero
Purdue starts 2 freshman guards so we don't have the youth excuse today. I'd love for Lively to step up and have a huge game, but I'm not sure he's ready for that yet.

Last edited:
A great test for the team. Think we win 77-72. Mix it up on Edey, but can’t forget the others. They appear to be very solid.

Not the end of the world if we do lose. It’s also only Jon’s 8th game as head coach. He’s learning too.

If we win today and then beat Ohio State we will be further along than I think we are. My guess is we win one of two.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Jay bilas- “good pass” the. Knocked away by Young resulting in a foul but deff not a good pass lol

Jay bilas- he got fouled and still finished. What a douche

Behind a few early on. Purdue knocking down their outside shots. Offense non existent at the moment

This Duke team can’t score like this….this game is about to be a complete blow out.

Duke needs to play with an edge. I see Roach is ready, but the BIGs and others are too passive.

Reactions: sheyduke
Could go zone and protect the bigs and stop the layup line they are carving us up with.

I don’t think Scheyer makes good adjustments in game….our three bigs will walk out of the half all with three fouls.

Elite D is getting ripped to shreds so far.

Scheyer is getting taken to school.

Purdue is playing the game the right way. You go to the WELL to get your water. Eddy is the well and Purdue is drinking good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT