ADVERTISEMENT

Other Games

Bad coaching by Few? He let his team get way too high after the UCLA game. Was that him doing postgame hand stands in the locker room? Compare his behavior to K's after the big UNLV win in the 1991 semis.
Yea. I remember Hurley in the tunnel after the UNLV win calming the team down and reminding them that they still had one more game to go.

Reactions: Liftee
I hope Timme leaves, though I doubt he gets drafted. Suggs and Kispert are gone, if they return Timme (and get Chet Holmgrem) than they will probably be preseason #1 even though they will lose to Duke on black Friday.
If Timme leaves (and Duke gets some recruiting magic, maybe it happens today??) than I think our Blue Devils will be the top team preseason.

Reminds me of Wisconsin in 2015. They left everything on the court against Kentucky and were tired against us. Not taking anything away from Jah, etc., but Wisconsin was a tired team.
I mean, we beat Wisky pretty bad at their place if I recall correctly. Great team but we were just a little bit better.

Reactions: Quavarius
Hopefully we get to discuss Duke in the Final Four soon. 2015 seeming like a long time ago.

Ok DI now that our and other games are over what are we gonna do the rest of the off season? OFC

I thought this would've been a back and forth toss up game, it wasn't. Baylor outplayed them from the tip. Gonzaga played great all year and really just ran into a buzz saw tonight. A lot of people are reveling in their demise. Still don't understand that, but oh well. Both teams had seasons deserving of winning a title. Baylor got theirs. Scott Drew has built a program there. Zags shouldn't hang their head.

Oh and at least it wasn't us getting are asses handed to us in the title game. I had nightmares for a year after that UNLV 30 point beat down in '90.
So did Bobby Hurley Nightmares about sharks that summer Great piece in si about it

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
So did Bobby Hurley Nightmares about sharks that summer Great piece in si about it

I was a kid when it happened and I cried all night. Couldn't go to school the next day. I was 7, so it's okay, haha

Last edited:
I was a kid when it happened and I cried all night. Couldn't go to school the next day. I was 7, so it's okay, haha
I’m a little older than you. The 86 Louisville game absolutely crushed me as a kid I tried my best to feign illness the next day but mom was having none of it the 90 game was a. Nightmare but most of the guys other than alaa were coming back. 86 was Alarie Dawkins and bilas Henderson’s last game ever. Toughest loss as a fan without a doubt

I’m a little older than you. The 86 Louisville game absolutely crushed me as a kid I tried my best to feign illness the next day but mom was having none of it the 90 game was a. Nightmare but most of the guys other than alaa were coming back. 86 was Alarie Dawkins and bilas Henderson’s last game ever. Toughest loss as a fan without a doubt

I was too young to remember that one. '94 ripped me to shreds and I was made to go to school after that one. I knew maybe 2 or 3 Duke fans until I was in high school. It was brutal at times.

I was too young to remember that one. '94 ripped me to shreds and I was made to go to school after that one. I knew maybe 2 or 3 Duke fans until I was in high school. It was brutal at times.
By 94 at least I was in college so I was able to drown my sorrows in a sea of jack daniels. Thurmans lucky ass rainbow shot was a dagger. That game probably 2 on my list. 99 UConn 3 04 UConn 4

By 94 at least I was in college so I was able to drown my sorrows in a sea of jack daniels. Thurmans lucky ass rainbow shot was a dagger. That game probably 2 on my list. 99 UConn 3 04 UConn 4

Scotty Thurman can eat a fat one.

1. '04 Uconn, 2. '99 Uconn, 3. '94 Arkansas, 4. '98 Kentucky, 5. '02 Indiana, 6. '90 Unlv, 7. '11 Arizona, 8. '06 Lsu, 9. '13 Louisville, and 10. '18 Kansas are the top ten tournament losses that probably hurt me the most. '19 hurt, bad, but not as much as watching Grayson's shot roll out against Kansas. And it was a charge.

Reactions: KDSTONE

1. '04 Uconn, 2. '99 Uconn, 3. '94 Arkansas, 4. '98 Kentucky, 5. '02 Indiana, 6. '90 Unlv, 7. '11 Arizona, 8. '06 Lsu, 9. '13 Louisville, and 10. '18 Kansas are the top ten tournament losses that probably hurt me the most. '19 hurt, bad, but not as much as watching Grayson's shot roll out against Kansas. And it was a charge.
Good list even though some might say the 04 game was a semifinal and downgrade it no way we lose to ga tech in the final so it was the de facto final That 98 uk game was brutal. It was a young team other than wojo and McLeod but losing a big lead like that is rough

How about Mercer and Lehigh? They were embarrassingly hurtful. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
True but that 14 team was a walking red flag. Didn’t think it would be Mercer in the first round granted but it was hard to go all in with that team but I felt bad for cook and Jefferson. Had some good dudes on that team. Even though okafor Winslow and Jones weren’t involved I feel like it had a galvanizing effect in some ways that set the stage for 15. Like Virginia’s loss to Mbc did for 19

Good list even though some might say the 04 game was a semifinal and downgrade it no way we lose to ga tech in the final so it was the de facto final That 98 uk game was brutal. It was a young team other than wojo and McLeod but losing a big lead like that is rough

"04 was one of the only times I can remember K blatantly talking about shitting officiating. Okafor fouled everyone we had out up front. You couldn't look at him without getting a foul called on you. No way we lose to GA Tech in the final. K has said that if he could do it all over again he wouldn't have slowed the game down as soon as he did. Wojo deserved a Final Four. I think we get a title if we beat UK too.

Last edited:

Lehigh is worse than Mercer, in my humble opinion. While Mercer was bad, we would've lost the next game anyway. So, people relish us losing in the first round, but it's not like that team was cutting any nets down. The '12 team had some great talent and losing to Lehigh was a shocker. People tend to forget that team went undefeated on the road in the ACC that season. Most just remember the comeback and shot by Rivers to beat UNC. But that team had some other great moments. Winning the Maui against Kansas, (beating a decent Tenn and good Michigan team to get the title game), and the 20 point comeback at home against State come to mind. So losing in the first round with that team was shocking. I honestly thought they had a shot at going to the elite eight that year.

Lehigh and Mercer were both pretty bad. I have a friend who is a KU fan that rubbed my nose in those two losses for months after. I didn't watch a second of the tournament after those 2 losses. But for me 99 was the worst. I just loved that team. Battier and Brand the best forward tandem ever. Other than Zion and RJ that team had issues so them losing didn't surprise me. The Kansas loss the year before was worse to me. We should have put them away. You can't rely on a buzzer 3 to beat someone.

Last edited:
Lehigh and Mercer were both pretty bad. I have a friend who is a KU fan that rubbed my nose in those two losses for months after. I didn't watch a second of the tournament after those 2 losses. But for me 99 was the worst. I just loved that team. Other than Zion and RJ that team had issues so them losing didn't surprise me. The Kansas loss the year before was worse to me. We should have put them away. You can't rely on a buzzer 3 to beat someone.

The baby blue fanbase made things more horrific to deal with after those losses around here. Couldn't go a day without hearing some stupid junk about it. Mercer just didn't have the same effect on me as Lehigh did. I think in hindsight winning the title in '15 cures the ills I have with Mercer. '99 was hard, (winning in '01 lessens the blow for that one though), but the the '04 one was brutal too. Losing that lead late and knowing they would've gotten another title, (GA Tech wasn't beating us with the Aussie Carrot Top down low), just kills me. I hate Uconn with every fiber of my being to this day. The preseason NIT win over them in the championship game in '10 wasn't enough to push those losses away, haha Yeah, '19 team had so many injury issues that it's hard to say that was really as big of a disappointment as the '18 loss to Kansas. We saw that game just slip from our fingers. Every time I see a ball roll out I think of Grayson's shot.... :(

Reactions: christophero
The baby blue fanbase made things more horrific to deal with after those losses around here. Couldn't go a day without hearing some stupid junk about it. Mercer just didn't have the same effect on me as Lehigh did. I think in hindsight winning the title in '15 cures the ills I have with Mercer. '99 was hard, (winning in '01 lessens the blow for that one though), but the the '04 one was brutal too. Losing that lead late and knowing they would've gotten another title, (GA Tech wasn't beating us with the Aussie Carrot Top down low), just kills me. I hate Uconn with every fiber of my being to this day. The preseason NIT win over them in the championship game in '10 wasn't enough to push those losses away, haha Yeah, '19 team had so many injury issues that it's hard to say that was really as big of a disappointment as the '18 loss to Kansas. We saw that game just slip from our fingers. Every time I see a ball roll out I think of Grayson's shot.... :(
I appreciate the Aussie carrot mention. Luke can’t remember last name. One of my fav Cameron crazy moments was when a student was dressed as Ronald McDonald holding a sign which said “Luke I am your father!”

I appreciate the Aussie carrot mention. Luke can’t remember last name. One of my fav Cameron crazy moments was when a student was dressed as Ronald McDonald holding a sign which said “Luke I am your father!”

He was goofy as hell.

Lehigh is worse than Mercer, in my humble opinion. While Mercer was bad, we would've lost the next game anyway. So, people relish us losing in the first round, but it's not like that team was cutting any nets down. The '12 team had some great talent and losing to Lehigh was a shocker. People tend to forget that team went undefeated on the road in the ACC that season. Most just remember the comeback and shot by Rivers to beat UNC. But that team had some other great moments. Winning the Maui against Kansas, (beating a decent Tenn and good Michigan team to get the title game), and the 20 point comeback at home against State come to mind. So losing in the first round with that team was shocking. I honestly thought they had a shot at going to the elite eight that year.
I do think Lehigh was worse than Mercer but, not by much. The '12 team had a ton more heart and fight than the '14 team but they weren't as talented. Rivers was a shooting guard who shot 65% from the line and while Seth, Kelly and Plumlee were good, they weren't near what they would be the next season. That team was the very definition of live and die by the 3, and against Lehigh we died.

For me the '13 loss was one of the hardest. We got completely screwed by being a 2 seed at all, then got stuck with the overall number #1. Then in what was a close game Wares horrific injury just caused Louisville to play the greatest basketball of their lives. But seriously, that was one of the biggest screw ups I've ever seen in terms of seeding a team. We hardly lost at all when we were whole and had a ton of big time wins.

Luck and match ups do come into play in the tournament. 2010 we did have some luck, and 2015 we did not have to go through Kentucky then Wisconsin.

I do think Lehigh was worse than Mercer but, not by much. The '12 team had a ton more heart and fight than the '14 team but they weren't as talented. Rivers was a shooting guard who shot 65% from the line and while Seth, Kelly and Plumlee were good, they weren't near what they would be the next season. That team was the very definition of live and die by the 3, and against Lehigh we died.

For me the '13 loss was one of the hardest. We got completely screwed by being a 2 seed at all, then got stuck with the overall number #1. Then in what was a close game Wares horrific injury just caused Louisville to play the greatest basketball of their lives. But seriously, that was one of the biggest screw ups I've ever seen in terms of seeding a team. We hardly lost at all when we were whole and had a ton of big time wins.

I hear ya. I guess that two headed monster of Parker and Hood makes me overlook that '14. We rode those two all year. Defensively the '14 is one of the worst too. So was '12 as well. Both of those were so damn streaky. '13 was a horrible bit of luck. If memory serves me, we were playing pretty well before the Ware injury. After that every player on Louisville turned into Jordan and it was over. My favorite game of that year was the Ryan Kelly comeback at home against Miami. Amazing stuff.

Luck and match ups do come into play in the tournament. 2010 we did have some luck, and 2015 we did not have to go through Kentucky then Wisconsin.

Luck is such a huge part of it. Look no further than UVA in '19. Luckiest group of knuckleheads I have ever seen. That and they had DeAndre Hunter.

2013 was just a good solid year for us. I remember being pretty pleased with Elite Eight. I really liked the make up of that team. I was disappointed; but where near the Zion and Bagley teams. The disappointment with me with the one and done stars is you know you're only getting one year so it increases the pressure and probably adds to the disappointment.

2013 was just a good solid year for us. I remember being pretty pleased with Elite Eight. I was disappointed; but where near the Zion and Bagley teams.

Kelly getting hurt against Clemson derailed the development of that group. Had he stayed healthy all season I think Duke cut down the nets. He was great in the return against Miami, but he never really matched that the rest of the season. The opening loss to Maryland in the ACC tournament hurt our seeding in the NCAAs. I think if we go deep or win the ACC tourney we have a one seed and don't end up playing Louisville at least until the Final Four or the championship game.

Kelly getting hurt against Clemson derailed the development of that group. Had he stayed healthy all season I think Duke cut down the nets. He was great in the return against Miami, but he never really matched that the rest of the season. The opening loss to Maryland in the ACC tournament hurt our seeding in the NCAAs. I think if we go deep or win the ACC tourney we have a one seed and don't end up playing Louisville at least until the Final Four or the championship game.
Those losses 2009-2014 didn’t sting as much as earlier ones. I think I was just spoiled with the laettner Hurley hill teams and the 2001 team 99 great team that came up short but still so dominant. That I compared this era to the previous title teams of 91 92 and 01 and was like these teams aren’t winning a national championship. Talented enough to have a punchers chance but prob not gonna happen

Those losses 2009-2014 didn’t sting as much as earlier ones. I think I was just spoiled with the laettner Hurley hill teams and the 2001 team 99 great team that came up short but still so dominant. That I compared this era to the previous title teams of 91 92 and 01 and was like these teams aren’t winning a national championship. Talented enough to have a punchers chance but prob not gonna happen
That being said the 2010 prob my favorite after 86 and 91. 86 was the team that made me a duke fan and in 91 when they beat Vegas I doubled down

2013 was just a good solid year for us. I remember being pretty pleased with Elite Eight. I really liked the make up of that team. I was disappointed; but where near the Zion and Bagley teams. The disappointment with me with the one and done stars is you know you're only getting one year so it increases the pressure and probably adds to the disappointment.
Good point but on the flip side with a team like 86 you had watched them for several years and when they lost that last game you were absolutely gutted. Losing to Virginia by 40 in the acc tournament I think in 84 to being ranked 1 in the country by the time they were seniors is the kind of thing I miss in today’s game

I hear ya. I guess that two headed monster of Parker and Hood makes me overlook that '14. We rode those two all year. Defensively the '14 is one of the worst too. So was '12 as well. Both of those were so damn streaky. '13 was a horrible bit of luck. If memory serves me, we were playing pretty well before the Ware injury. After that every player on Louisville turned into Jordan and it was over. My favorite game of that year was the Ryan Kelly comeback at home against Miami. Amazing stuff.
Yes, '12 and '14 couldn't guard at all. Neither could '15 until the tourney. Well, they could, they just chose not to. I still think the 90-60 win over ND that year is the most impressive win I've seen by a Duke team. ND was damn good and Duke just annihilated them. Pretty sure they had like a 40-10 run in that game.

Not sure where to put this but UCLA had a good day. Signed 5 star PG Dylan Andrews and got a quality big man transfer from Rutgers. (He's 6-11 and averaged 8 and 8)

Reactions: HuffyJB
Yes, '12 and '14 couldn't guard at all. Neither could '15 until the tourney. Well, they could, they just chose not to. I still think the 90-60 win over ND that year is the most impressive win I've seen by a Duke team. ND was damn good and Duke just annihilated them. Pretty sure they had like a 40-10 run in that game.
‘14 was the worst defensive team i can ever remember us having.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT